main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Mod Squad update for the week ending June 9th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    "NO FUN CAN BE HAD IN COMMUNICATIONS. "

//shrug

if you say so.

2. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    To antagonize ( the mods), or not to antagonize, that is the question.

3. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    "if you say so."

I did. Obviously. If you don't agree, re-open my thread so we* can have some fun.

*not you.

4. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    [image=http://dvdmedia.ign.com/media/reviews/image/monty2_general.jpg]

That thread was getting silly, and that's why we locked it. Next time you want to do something silly, make sure it builds a community. Now...

-Mod B

5. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    Preacherboy sacked... now who didn't see that one coming! [face_mischief]

6. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Crappers, I missed what was go'in on with PB. Can someone please tell me? Preferibly by PM, I doubt the mods want it brought back up before the limelight.

7. FusionBlaster

FusionBlaster Jedi Master star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Spector you and me Both really I'd like to hear the whole story. PM please.

In concluion, BoB rules

8. DarthLothi

DarthLothi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2001
    Mar17swgirl gave Padme Bra a hug, and as it turns out, that was really all he was after.

Damn, Mar, I can't take my eyes off you for a second before you're wandering off with other guys! :mad:

Not that I blame PB for wanting a hug from you, but still!

:p

9. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    No fun in Communications? Dang, I guess that means I can't laugh at all the dumb questions anymore, can I? ;)

Mel

10. Emperor-Palpatine

Emperor-Palpatine Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Did the mods discuss my friend, Fluke_Groundwalker?

11. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    no, hon, they didn't..

QUOTE: Gandolf the Grey noticed one member had a potentially insulting signature, but thought that asking that member to change that signature might cause a fair amount of Internet Drama, so he asked the opinion of the Mod Squad before doing anything, saying "I haven't sent a PM asking him to change it yet, as I wanted to find out what everyone else thought first."

laughable.. considering a few weeks ago, the very same GtG singlehandedly threatened me with a banning over a sig of mine at the time, despite what other mods had to say on the subject.

and I agree about the Preacherboy situation. You guys make it easy for people to see your personal feelings on this matter. I bet there was a lot of celebrating in the Admin section before and when it was announced that PB was no longer with staff.

I have an idea. There may be users who haven't seen or learned this news yet.. Let's keep it in every update, just in case SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, missed it, or you guys have finally worked it for all the chuckles you can...

Actually, it deserves it's own forum.. That would be the t4ctful thing, anyway.. but, then again, no one has ever accused the mods of having an overabundance of t4ct...

[face_plain]

12. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Come on, Empress, don't be like that. The PB thing was put in because, as is clear by some people's reactions in this thread, it was missed in last weeks update. It wasn't meant to be malicious at all.

And the only celebrating that goes on in Mod Squad is when I log on and start posting in my oh-so amazing manner that everyone has come to expect from me. :cool:

[face_plain]

13. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    EmpressPalpatine:
    Never once did I mention banning in either of the PM's I sent you.

I bet there was a lot of celebrating in the Admin section before and when it was announced that PB was no longer with staff.

Comments in the Mod Squad haven't been gloating at all.

Samples:
    "I still do feel sorry for him. He did do alot of work for this site. Too bad he had to go out like this. "
    "I'm with cb on this... Too bad that it had to end like this."
    "Sad to see that this didn't work out... for everyone. "

14. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    forgive my ignorance, Gandolf, but I always thought when a mod accuses a user of trolling and demands that user do something, a ban will be the result of non-compliance..

my mistake...

15. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    I intended to pass the problem off to Nathan or Vertical, who could change the signature themselves. If you had changed it back, then yes, you would probably have been banned. But I never once mentioned a banning in my PM's; I only told you to change the signature.

16. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Wow. I thought for sure I'd make the news this week.

17. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    Where was the request or a sincere explanation as to why i should change it? All I got were demands to change it, and accusations of trolling.

18. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    What the hell did these signature(s) in question say?

19. Emperor-Palpatine

Emperor-Palpatine Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Listen, guys, I know what Fluke did was foolish and stupid, but he felt he had to get his message across...unfortunately, that wasn't the wisest way.

He apologizes for what he did, and regrets it, too.

He said that he will respect whatever decision the mods decide to make, yet he will not agree with a perm ban.

That is the message I was supposed to pass along.

Regards,
    -Imperatore-

20. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    EP's signature said "The EU is to Star Wars what Prostitution is to True Love."

But if the EU is as a prostitute, that makes readers of the EU to be johns (i.e. people who hire prostitutes). I consider johns to be somewhat lower forms of life than crack dealers (though somewhat better than pedophiles, but not by much), and I strongly dislike the implication that I?m a john.

To protect the name of the other user in question, I won?t say what the other signature is.

21. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    But that comment isn't calling the EU a prostitute, it's an analogy. It's like saying the EU to SW is like a Big Mac to fine cuisine.

In other words, it pales in comparison. That's my understanding, anyway.

22. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    So, EU fans are only like johns? Still doesn't cut it.

23. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    I'd just like to comment that, judging by the comments Gandy posted, cbjedi was the ONLY mod sorry to see Joel go. [face_mischief]

Oh, and I had heard rumors about his leaving, but nothing substantial until this update. *shrug*

24. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    A more tasteful way of expressing a dislike for the EU could have been found. I think the problem with the sig was that its a bit antagonistic. That is the sort of thing you say when you are hoping for a response. I don't know if that was EP intention, but that could be how the mods looked at it. That's what it appears to be to me.

EDIT: Plus, this is a family board. We do have some younger folks running around. If I was a parent of one of them, I think I would be very upset if my kid asked me what prostitution was and said he heard it here.

25. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Hang on, "The EU is to Star Wars what Prostitution is to True Love."

Is not saying anything about FANS of EU.

It strikes me as a very clever analogy, (You could go into a possible explanation about all the Z list Sci-Fi authors who "Whore" themselves out to all and sundry, like Star Trek and Star Wars, for the money and go back to there own Universe at a later date.) though I could suppose that it breaks the "Canon/EU" laws that have been imposed.

So, I have seen (can't remember who) a signature that compares EU and GL to a Tail and a Dog.

Would that user get told off for breaking the "truce" on EU/Canon stuff, or is the reason that EP got told off was because it "was rude"?

Hmm?

UKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.