main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending May 26th (Bigger, bolder, new format!)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Gandalf the Grey, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Thanks to all the Mods who added something, especially those who corrected my grammar and formatting. And yes, the new format was modeled after the Advisory Council update format.

******Weekly News from the Mod Squad******

That Mess (known to most as the Attack of the Clones forum)

Tempers have begun to seriously fray in the Mod Squad, and one by one the penguins have been stealing our sanity.

On the 20th, Liz Skywalker created a thread titled ?GAAHH!!!? where she announced that she was ?beginning to see where people are coming from when they propose to have a time limit on new users before they can post!!? NathanDahlin suggested that we adopt the AYBABTU doctrine . Many mods supported the idea, but the minority that didn?t was rather vocal. farraday suggested that we simply ? ban everyone who posts, that would clear up the size problems and all our modding difficulties.? Finally, Vertical came out opposing the idea, saying ? We're here to moderate. Let's moderate. If we're having problems staying on top of things, let's bring aboard new mods, not make the AOTC forum a constrictive discussion forum.?

Mods were filled with new resolve, and new strategies were suggested. Once again, Vertical stepped forwards, saying ?Perhaps we should PM the author, send him the link to the original non-redundant thread, and *delete* the redundant ones, instead of locking them? That way there aren't quite so many locked threads floating around.? Most mods adopted this plan, but Lobot_Omy couldn?t resist making one last crack, saying ?How about we start banning people for redundancy? That'll teach 'em.? Vertical posted a few moments later, responding to what someone else had said, saying ? It's what I've been doing. The newbies seem to respond really well to it, too. Apologetic, and very thankful. And there aren't all those locked threads to look at and clutter up the place.? While it was obvious that he hadn?t been replying to Lobot_Omy, the timing of his post couldn?t have been better (or worse, depending on your point of view).

On a side note, the moderators, managers, and administrators would like to thank everyone who has PM?d us about redundancy or other problems in the AOTC and EPIII forums, and if we single out GriffZ, KnightWriter, and Dark_Lord_Erik, it?s only because their contributions have been so incredibly helpful.

Census was cleaned up

Kadue announced that he was laying down the law in there. ? Before anyone gets worked up, I've gone through and done a little cleaning in Census. I've been hearing a couple of complaints recently, and truth be told, if regular users were to post some polls like that, they would be locked straight away. We have it set so that only "uber" users can post there so it doesn't get filled with spam polls, so we shouldn't be posting them either.?

Notes from FanForce

Some Mods have slowly started paying attention to them. A reminder went out to administration that the people who got the right to choose their colors for being important FanForce peoples at Celebration II were to lose their special colors at the end of the month.

Notes to FanForce

farraday had a few questions, like ?How long are you going to keep the Celebration 2 forums open? Or idd you just plan to rename them Celebration 3 and see if anyone would post in them for the next two years?? He then listed off 30 FanForce forums with practically no members (or no active members at all!), and wondered why they existed. BobaFemme explained that ?The Celebration 2 thread will most likely be shut down at the end of the month when Sebulba comes back. Many of the people seem attached there. I am hoping for a smooth transition from C2 to the FF Community For

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Good stuff, Gandolf :).

I'm honored to have been mentioned.

3. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Where's the lame humor? We can't have Internet_Drama if you actually do a good job on these things! I call for a do-over!

AYBABTU?

4. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Ohh, this thread is a huge improvement over the last update.

5. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    We can't win. [face_plain]

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Interesting to see who has decided to be spoiled for Episode III. I wonder if anyone will change their minds on that in the next year or so.

7. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 19, 2000
    I agree Maddux, this new format is much better and more informative than the previous ones. My only complaint is all the different colours are a bit distracting, perhaps using just one or two different colours for quotes would be easier on the eyes? Besides that, great work Gandolf. :D

8. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    We can't win. [face_plain]

would it make you feel better if i told you that this update made me laugh and cry ;) :p

good job! i can appreciate all your hard work! :)

9. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Very informative, and very colorful! Thanks for the update.

10. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    We're here to moderate. Let's moderate. If we're having problems staying on top of things, let's bring aboard new mods, not make the AOTC forum a constrictive discussion forum.?

Spot on.

11. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    We forgot to add the part saying how we are amending the rules to suit our own personal glorification and press promotion. ;)

12. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    We forgot to add the part saying how we are amending the rules to suit our own personal glorification and press promotion

i thought that part was inferred ;) :p :D

13. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Kerr_Plunk, I think I love you.

14. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Thanks, y'all.

Where's the lame humor?

It's there. For example, look at the Lobot_Omy/Vertical exchange, or my version of MacBeth at the end ;)

15. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "We can't win."

Of course not. What fun would that be for us? ;)

Amazing.

16. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Modeled after the Advisory Council format eh? Well I like it, it looks great guys, and it provides the info nicely.

Good job!

17. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I miss the random humor. :(

And split the board in two? "I will not allow this board that has stood for a thousand years to be split in two!" :D

Finally, where would these new mods be put? Or is that not sorted out yet?

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    The new Mods would be for Community and AOTC/3SA.

Okay. You want lame Mod Squad humor? You got it. In the discussion about splitting the CT forum, farraday posted this:

Gandolf the Grey: I don't know how much longer I can hold off the vote, my friends. More and more posters are joining the separatists.
    Padme Bra: If they do break away...
    Gandolf the Grey: I will not let this forum that has stood for a 5 years be split in two. My negotiations will not fail!
    Padme Bra: But if they do, you must realize there aren't enough Moderators to protect the CT. We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers.
    Gandolf the Grey: Administrator Dahlin, do you really think it will come to canon war?
    NathanDahlin: Mmm...LFL clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.
    Genghis 12: <The Purist Commitee has arrived, Your Honour>
    Gandolf the Grey: Good, send them in. We will discuss this matter later.
    NathanDahlin: DDH. Your tragedy in the Boba fett thread, terrible. Seeing you post brings warm feelings to my heart.
    Darth Dark Helmet: Do you have any idea who's behind this attack?
    Padme Bra: Our intellingence points to disgruntled spam miners from the Social threads of JCC.
    Darth Dark Helmet: I think that Preacher Boy was behind this.
    Vertical: He is a forum Idealist, not a hacker.
    Padme Bra: Helmet, you know that Preacher Boy was once a Moderater. He couldn't harm anyone. It's not in his character.
    NathanDahlin: But for certain, in grave danger you are.
    Gandolf the Grey: Master Admin, may I suggest that Helmet be placed under the protection of your graces?
    farraday: You really think that's a wise decision under these stressful times?
    Darth Dark Helmet: Gandolf, if I may comment, I don't believe....
    Gandolf the Grey: The situation is that serious. No but I do. I realise all to well that additional security might be disruptive to you. But perhaps someone you are familiar with. An old friend like...Moderator Antilles.
    Padme Bra: That's possible. He's just returned from a spoiler dispute in AotC
    Gandolf the Grey: Do it for me, please. The thought of losing you...is unbearable.
    Padme Bra: I will have Commander Antilles report to you immediately.
    Darth Dark Helmet: Thank you Moderator Bra.

19. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "You want lame Mod Squad humor? You got it."

Yes, very lame. Not really a good lame or a bad lame. Just a lame lame.

Amazing.

20. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    You wouldn't think it was so lame if you saw the current condition of my handmaiden decoy.

Sorry, that was even lamer.

21. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I guess its a good thing being lame isn't a bannable offense, otherwise alot of people might be in trouble. ;)

:eek: Oh wait, that was lame too! :p

22. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    excellent, format, excellent update :)

¤Night

23. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    like if the members like it, then we keep it open, but if it's not receiving a good reception, lock it.

i actually really like the standard. if the members say it's spam, or it's not getting a good response then it's locked. but if everyone is responding to it, then i don't see why it should be closed

good call :)

24. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Nice updates, Gandolf. Just one bitter complaint ~ that orange is a bit hard on the eyes, mind making a higlight behind it a little darker grey next time? Sorry about the moan...

25. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    what if people respond to it well but then other people start complaining and make the thread hell in hopes it will be closed?
    it wouldn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.