main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending September 08, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grilled-Sarlacc, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    This is my first MS Update, so be mindful! :D

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ?Modsquad Update For The Week Ending September 08 2002?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[b]I.[/b] [color=blue][b]Notes[/b][/color]

[blockquote][li]Congratulations to [hl=Black][color=Gold][b]The Gatherer[/b][/color][/hl]!! He is going to be an uncle! Fellow mods offered their regards in different ways. [hl=Yellow][color=Red][b]Rox[/b][/color][/hl] suggested a great baby gift would be a plush Chewbacca doll. [hl=Black][color=Gold][b]The Gatherer[/b][/color][/hl] thought that a plush Ewok would be nice. [hl=azure][color=steelblue][b]Grilled-Sarlacc[/b][/color][/hl] suggested a plush 2-1B. [hl=Yellow][color=Black][b]DarthSapient[/b][/color][/hl] advised that [i]"now is the time to get a midichlorian count and make some back-up plans for hiding the baby in the desert should the Empire be formed in the near future."[/i] ;)[/li]

[li]The [i]Leadership Council[/i] is currently discussing [color=SaddleBrown][b]Lord Mauly Mall[/b][/color]'s spamming incident. An announcement will be made shortly.[/li][/blockquote]
    [hr]

[b]II.[/b] [color=blue][b]9/11 Anniversary Threads[/b][/color]

[blockquote][li]There are two official threads already in the JC. [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8678897&replies=0]This JCC thread[/link] is for users to share their thoughts to remember and reflect on the tragedy. All other discussions relevant to 9/11, i.e. political, religious, moral, should be posted in this [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7994007&replies=145]Senate thread[/link].[/li][/blockquote][hr]

[b]III.[/b] [color=blue][b]The State of Your Jedi Council Community[/b][/color]

[blockquote][li]Reform proposal sent to AC members for review. After AC/Mod discussion, reform proposal has been revised and is awaiting mod squad approval before being presented to the AC for further review.[/li][/blockquote]
    [hr]
    [b]IV.[/b] [color=blue][b]Problem Users[/b][/color]

[blockquote][li]Problem users (none of them having the initials "OZK") were discussed. Please remember that by posting, you are agreeing that you have read the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/tos.asp]Terms of Service[/link].[/li][/blockquote]
    [hr]
    [b]V.[/b] [color=blue][b]Banner Contests[/b][/color]

[blockquote][li]In a few weeks, [hl=SteelBlue][color=Black][b]Carter-TFN[/b][/color][/hl] will be announcing a Halloween Banner Contest open to all JC posters. Stay tuned for complete details.[/li]

[li][u]3NSA Contest[/u]: [hl=Maroon][color=Tomato][b]stinrab[/b][/color][/hl] and [hl=LightSeaGreen][color=White][b][i]Mace Windy[/i][/b][/color][/hl] are currently managing a [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8526726]banner contest for the Episode III Non-Spoilers Forum[/link]. The competition is tough and all the entries so far are outstanding! :D The current deadline for submitting your entry is 14 September. Be sure to stop by and [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8526726]check out all the great work by some of the JC's great artists[/link]![/li]

[li][u]3SA Contests[/u]: After the great success with the banner contest in the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10331]3SA Forum[/link], it was decided that a new banner contest will be held every season (4 times per year) so that other may have a chance to display their work and get a shot at winning the prize. [hl=azure][color=steelblue][b]Grilled-Sarlacc[/b][/color][/hl] will host the next contest which will be in mid-November, with the winning banner to be implemented on 01 December. New prizes for the winner are also being considered, such as VIP colors while the banner is in place, a title (i.e. 3SA Banner Champion), and possibly a unique icon of their choosing.[/li][/blockquote]
    [hr]
    [b]VI.[/b] [color=blu

2. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Nice update. Thanks :)

Tayschrenn

3. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    The Leadership Council is currently discussing Lord Mauly Mall's spamming incident. An announcement will be made shortly.

Thanks for the update.

4. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for a more thorough update this week. It's really appreciated. :)

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I had an entire section devoted to me... and it wasn't a bad thing! :cool:

Not bad for your first update, G-S. ;)

6. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Reform proposal sent to AC members for review. After AC/Mod discussion, reform proposal has been revised and is awaiting mod squad approval before being presented to the AC for further review.

Sounds like an awful lot of back and forth. Once it has come out of the ModSquad and to the AC, why does it need to go back to the ModSquad?

The mods can discuss these proposals in the AC.

Unless of course various mods want to keep their individual thoughts to ModSquad alone...hmmm, wonder why they wouldnt want others to know where they stand?

7. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

[C-3P0] Here we go again... [/C-3P0]

8. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Very cool update. Thanks :D

...and a jango.

9. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "Unless of course various mods want to keep their individual thoughts to ModSquad alone...hmmm, wonder why they wouldnt want others to know where they stand?"

Where the devil did you get the impression that Mod Squad was private? [face_laugh]

;)

10. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

having been mindful of Grilled-Sarlacc's first ModSquad update, i found it to be in good order!

well done.. and thank you! ;) :)

11. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Thanks for the update, G-S. How did I know that Poofy would end up in there somehow?

12. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Nice hacker pic. Pretty colors at the header, although I'd highly suggest using "|"'s for the side bars instead of "-"'s. It would just look better. And DA's comment was pretty amusing.

This is all I have to say thus far. Thank you for your time.

13. DimensionX

DimensionX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    INCREDIBLE Update. :)

Thanks, I liked the hacker pic as well.

14. CGI-Yoda

CGI-Yoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2002
    Nice update GS :), I also like the little hacker humor

15. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Hey, good Mod Squad update!

[img-thumbsup]

16. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    DA, you are my hero ;)

But does anyone have any good reason why the mods need to discuss things for a month, go to the AC with it, discuss there for a while, then take it all the way back to the modsquad and then into the AC again?

Why? Its unnecessary, just going over the same old ground again.

Once its in the AC, the mods arent all of a sudden locked out of the discussion. The debate can go on in there.

And speaking of the AC, the rotating members are finished with their 3 months as of last week. Time to move on guys.

17. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    thank you, thank you, thank you. :) :) :)

18. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Dagsy: Without opening the old "What Does The AC Really Do?" can of worms, I am under the impression that not every mod and manager of the JC checks the AC, only those of us who want to get involved in setting policy for the boards as a whole.

Many moderators choose to focus on their set tasks, which is not a bad thing and should not be ignored. Mod Squad is required reading while the AC is not. People who venture their opinions in Mod Squad possibly will not in the AC.

But I do agree with you that these policies are taking far too long to implement.

19. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Great Update Sarlacc. Thanks! :)

And what about my user registration question? :p

20. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "I am under the impression that not every mod and manager of the JC checks the AC, only those of us who want to get involved in setting policy for the boards as a whole."

Translation: "We don't do our job unless we feel like it."

21. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    //rolleyes.gif

Do you ever think before you post, BYOB? ?[face_plain]

Not every mod signs up to deal with the latest drama or set policy about things they know or care little about. Some mods sign up because they know what they're talking about and want to moderate their specific area of expertise. As such, when things are discussed in the AC not everyone is going to see it.

In Mod Squad everyone will see it.

Translation: people who want to involve themselves in board-wide politics do. Many don't because they don't want to deal with people who make derogatory accusations in the hope of being taken seriously by a few more users.

22. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Thats a good point, DA, however those that are relevant to the JCC should be in the AC discussing it now.

Those that arent relevant to the JCC that want to be a part of the decision making process should be in the AC discussing it now.

Those that want nothing to do with it dont have to go to the AC. These mods dont need to be catered for by taking it back to the modsquad.

Its quite simple. Every mod that wants to be a part of this can go to the AC to discuss. If they cant be bothered to click those few extra links to get there, then they really arent that interested in being a part of the discussion anyway.

23. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I agree with Dagsy's last post.

24. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

The YJCC proposals put in front of the Advisory Council needed major revision and reconsideration before they would be acceptable. I don't have any problem at all with them working out some other details in the ModSquad and then resubmitting them to the AC for opinion.

And I, for one, am damn glad it's taking as long as it is. Community has stood as-is (more or less) for years, and an overhaul the scale proposed shouldn't be thrown into place after a couple of days. If it takes a month to get it right, then it takes a month to get it right. Everyone should be applauding the efforts of the Administration to see what, if anything at all, should be done to make Community better. Let's not hassle them for being thorough.

AYBABTU?

25. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    AYBABTU, if they arent acceptable, discuss it with them until something acceptable is decided upon.

If you tell them it isnt good enough and send them away, then you could end up with something that still doesnt meet your standards.

The only true way to find an acceptable medium is to sit there and discuss it with the mods, not have them take it and work on it until you like it more. It isnt a homework assignment.

And now that I have the attention of 2 ACers...what about the changeover? Whats happening there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.