main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update (Week of January 9th)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ObiWan506, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Wait! What? :p

Moving LFL Projects into the SFF category is good idea. It's the most obvious home for it now.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    if it is indeed moved, then there would seem to be no point in having an Indy thread in the sci fi forum, then, rite?

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    No.

There will still be one thread dedicated to all Indy discussion within the SFF: Films/TV Forum. That thread however will also be used as a cross-promotion platform to the more specific threads within the LFL Forum.

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    If the LF forum goes under the SFF group, will the thread in SFFTVAF still be allowed?

It seems rather redundant at that point.

5. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    epic just asked that question. Look at the post above.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I think that the thread in SFF will become a more generialized thread and just hit on the highlights of Indiana Jones, Willow, etc. When the thread starts getting into more specific things like the individual aspects of an individual movie the SFF guys will redirect to LFP. Kind of like what JCC and Senate are trying to work out. For the LFP movies only, we'll only allow more general content, since we have a forum for the specifics. :)

7. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i hardly would think the LFP, especially if it changes to include Indy in its title, would need a cross promotion/Indy thread in Sci Fi movies if the forum is sitting right next to the forum for all to see. it'd be like having a Star Wars thread in the Sci Fi forum. doesn't make much sense to me.

8. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Except, how many users use the forum categories to get from one forum to another? With the drop-down boxes and the "Favorite Forums" ability, the forum can still go unnoticed fairly easily.

Here's a much better question. Rather than asking whether cross-promotion is necessary, why not ask how could it hurt?

Kimball Kinnison

9. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i just think any discussion in the Indy thread in the Sci Fi forum would be entirely pointless given there (will) be a whole forum dedicated for it. it may take away from the new Indy/LFP forum.

if the thread is basically just designed for forum promotion, why not make a sticky thread informing the Sci Fi forum of the 'new' forum and just make it an information thread, not an actual thread for discussion?

10. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    We're forgetting, aswell, that soon the forums/threads may be advertised as mentioned before.

Perhaps leave the thread in there for a short period of time, until any 'cross-promotion' works, then close it/re-direct.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    A general thread in SFF is still a good idea, but now if LFL Projects is to be moved to the SFF category then some compromise on what that thread will be about is essential. It should be a launch pad thread, allowing users to post high profile bits of news and the like, and still allowing for general questions and comments, but if a thread exists in the LFL Projects forum that trumps the discussion in SFF then that's fine.

Perhaps the title of the Indt thread in SFF could be changed to better refelct it's new mandate?

EDIT: Also, if the production of Indy IV actually becomas a reality and things begin to really steamroller in the Indy department, then provided there' plenty of publicity for the LFL Projects forum (of whatever it's being renamed to) then the thread in SFFwill probably die off quite naturally. At the minute though, a thread in SFF acting as a launch pad for those who don't tend to go to the LFL Projects forum is still a good idea.

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    What Everton said. ;):)

13. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Pretty much said the same, so I agree too :p

EDIT: No worries, Everton. As long as we're on the same wavelength ;)

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Sorry Kartanym I've just noticed I've basically repeated what you said. :p

15. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Except, how many users use the forum categories to get from one forum to another? With the drop-down boxes and the "Favorite Forums" ability, the forum can still go unnoticed fairly easily.

It will definitely make an impact on the new users. And i do use the forum categories sometimes, and i highly doubt I'm the only one on the JC. Plus, just guessing, it looks liek the drop down menu is sorted by category, and a LOT of users use that to naivigate.

16. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    So everyone is aware, I moved Lucasfilm Projects to the SFF category.

17. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    There's a Lucasfilm Projects board?

18. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Welcome to last week, Igs. :p

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Splendid news to wake up to.

And I also agree in having one 'spingboard' Indy thread in SFF. Once Indy 4 production starts and LFP is being used by more people the SFF thread may be deemed superfluous and get shut down. But for now it's a good place to advertise the LFP forum.

Right, now I want to see everyone in this thread go and post something in LucasFilm Projects in the next 24 hours. Go on, you know you want to...

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We could name the forum:

9906753: The LucasFilm Archives

Would that include an Indy-nod enough for you, JayPee?

;)

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Umm, I don't think we're trying to advertise the LucasFilm Projects forum to me.

Besides, that number is printed alongside the warning "DO NOT OPEN". Hardly appropriate considering what we're trying to achieve here. :p

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Subtle plan?

EDIT: Sorry, perhaps a little too glib. But ultimately for everyone else, Indy makes up the BULK of very likely the other LFL-discussion which would likely take place on here. I would suspect that any increase in traffic would be from people who like Indy as opposed to, say, Howard the Duck, Willow or Radioland Murders...

23. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    I dunno. You can never have too many Howard the Duck threads.

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, nice in joke, but still; people who like Indy visit LFP, see some of malducin's lovely ILM related threads or Adam's THX-1138 stuff or the disussion on Lucas's career and feel drawn to also comment on those topics.

Indy will always be the most popular drawcard to that forum, but that doesn't mean the rest of the scope of topics will be totally ignored.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't disagree, I just think that perhaps we should put a more marketable foot forward and get people in the door... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.