main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Truly a victory for the forces of justice!

JediBatman and Gamiel like this.
  2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    D: Grim! Would love to see it in the Kieron Gillen series.

My mind is still in Infinity War haze.

Best axe ever.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I liked Infinity War.

Thanos was the best part.

#Obviouspostisobvious

Voltron64 likes this.
  5. Voltron64

Voltron64 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2009
    End of Disc 1.

Please Insert Disc 2 To Continue.

That's really the only thing I can say.

Sinrebirth and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I found Infinity War a good well crafted movie but lacking in the real OMG department compared to Ragnarock, Black Panther or the GotG movies for me and not as much fun new design.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
  8. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    It's a movie where the good guys lose and half of all life in the universe dies, and you're saying it dosn't have any "OMG" moments? Not to mention other moments like all the character deaths that happened even before the ending, Thanos throwing a moon at the Avengers, the return of Red Skull, Thor's new weapon, ect.

I disagree. It's ambiguous if they'll end up bringing ALL the characters back to life, or just some of them. And hey, even if they do all come back, it dosn't make 16-year old Peter Parker begging Tony to stay with him as he dies any less tear inducing.

9. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Hoping to get a chance to see IW sometime next week.

10. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I left IW legitimately saddened, and slightly emotional. All I felt after TLJ was empty, I think that pretty much says it all.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, not really. I do admit that I think the killing of all survivors of Ragnarock (minus Thor) as the beginning of the first act did make me somewhat jaded for what to expect. I do hope that at least half of them are resurrected or revelled to be alive otherwise the end of Ragnarock will truly be hollow.
    Those two I really liked.
    The forging process was good but it had some low points, for me, that stoped it from being high points

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Hey, cool, I'm in an anthology with Kevin J. Anderson.

Now I'm 2 steps removed from George Lucas in the Kevin Bacon test!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  14. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    How many steps from Kevin Bacon, though? That's the real question.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    In the seven steps from Kevin Bacon?

EIGHT.

16. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    IW ...

suffers from the knowledge that there's sequels planned for Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, and GOTG. And, anyone can simply google the ending of the original comic book mini-series to find out how it ended there, and how it'll very likely end here. Plus - Chekhov's Nebula.

That said, I was a little misty-eyed at parts, true. Josh Brolin did a very good job as Thanos, who's never been a character with a particularly wide range of emotions in the comics, IMHO. I'm looking forward to next summer to see how they do with Avengers 4.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    On IW:
    So maybe I missed this, but exactly what is the math behind Thanos's plan? Like, exactly when are too many people too many people? I first thought he meant to do what he did on Gamora's planet and kill 50% of each planet's population (which, actually, is pretty dumb -- it would suck if you were like 2 vacationers on an otherwise deserted planet, or some scientists, or whatever). But that can't be how it worked, because 1) people on Titan and space were dying and 2) some planets are reliant on others, and others not, to varying degrees, so he must have to take that into consideration about the food/resource issue. So is there an equation involved? Some sort of proportional thing, across space? And is it all of space? What about those areas of space where the space-time continuum gets weirded out, like blackholes? Like I hate to pull a Peter Parker, but Thanos did you see Interstellar? What if planets are moving at different rates, so time is different for them, and they age differently, and what if people are traveling between these planets and... and...

otherwise I loved the movie except my favorite Marvel character died before the opening titles, so I was pretty much **** all the rest of them about 5 minutes in.

18. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    the mad titan isn't exactly rational.

19. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I really enjoyed Infinity War, great humor and action. If I had one minor compliant, I sort of liked the comic book reasoning why Thanos did what he did, more mad Titan like to me at least, but I completely understand why they did what they did for the movie. Also wish the Fantastic Four were there somehow, maybe in a few more years.

Kylun and vncredleader like this.
  20. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I normally don't like to use this kind of excuse, unlike SOME Marvel employees (they know who they are); but it's magic or in this case near magic stones. Like the time and space issue I think can be worked out cause the gauntlet can control and manipulate time as well as space. I have not read Infinity Gauntlet, but I think when he kills half the universe it is worked out by the Gauntlet. Of course there he did it to impress a girl rather than having a specific plan for the universe. But I digress; the gauntlet should be able to understand Thanos' intent and carry it out. So he wants at random half the universe to die, I assumed the gauntlet picked half of all life to wipe out, without it being a clean - half these planets lose all life, half these planets are fine. Then again I could see him being ok with just half of all life dying without it being balanced correctly, like he knows it logistically will mess up a lot of worlds but he is so focused on this one goal that it does not matter to him/is worth it.

Also Heimdall is your favorite marvel character?:p

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Kylun likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    On that note,
    one reason I really hope Loki doesn't stay dead is that when they finally get Doctor Doom back, I really want to see them interact.

Kylun likes this.
  22. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    well it does seem like they are gonna be going down the JMS route with Thor now so that may be very likely soon

23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Possibilities:
    1) It's less "half the population of each planet" and more "half of everyone in the universe, at random"
    2) Normally it he does kill half the population of each planet, but people away from their home planets or traveling in space are including in the calculations for their home planet.

And normally I hate this answer because "the villain is crazy!" is usually a handwave for bad writing, but others have said he is the mad Titan. It matches what we've seen. Gamora's village looked fairly small, but he killed half the population of that anyways. Asgardians are practically an endangered species at this point, but he killed at least half of them. It doesn't matter if your planet has a population of billions, of if (like Asgard) there's barely enough of your race left to fill Manhattan, Thanos seems really fixated on his 50% figure, and is completely convinced he is right.

I know JMS means J Michael Strazinksi, but what does that mean?

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The answer is that Thanos is trying to cope with the genocide of his people and has a "one size fixes all" solution to the issues of overpopulation and environmental decay because of the trauma he suffered. This is a personal issue for him and he's not taking this scientifically but emotionally. Frankly, he'd probably view a logical version of it as more evil because Thanos doesn't want to judge who lives or who dies. He just thinks overpopulation leads to extinction.

#ThanosWasRight.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  25. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    So in the comics Asgard was destroyed and long story short Thor brings it back in the middle of a small town in Oklahoma (I think). At one point Thor is forced to do something which makes Balder decide to listen to Loki and move Asgard elsewhere, he chooses Latvaria........and then the run ends cause JMS was annoyed with Marvel editorial

JediBatman likes this.