main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Over dinner tonight, I rewatched the 1990 Star Trek: TNG episode Sins of the Father, the first episode that shows the Klingon homeworld Qo'nos. And... I feel like the city looks like the old ROTJ McQuarrie concept art for what became Coruscant. Like, a lot.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This trailer made me so happy.

Not some mega fan of the MK franchise -- barely played any since UMK3 way back when (dabbled in Deadly Alliance) -- but a lot of my nostalgia for it is tied up in the movie so this put a huge smile on my face. The marketing team has been, ahem, killing it.

TrandoJedi, Gamiel and Senpezeco like this.
  5. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Interesting. There's at least a distant genetic relationship since McQuarrie did a lot of concept art for what would become Star Trek TMP, which was pretty influential for the overall "look" of post-'60s Trek. The basic concept for both is pretty similar, too: a dark super metropolis with pyramidal towers, both "industrial" and vaguely "foreign"/"alien." I dunno if there was any more direct influence, though, but it's not impossible.

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I had a union meeting after work today, so to kill time I went to a bar across the street from the union hall and had a few beers. The TV behind the bar had some talk panel on ESPN on, and one of the panelists had a T-shirt with the Mandalorian Mythosaur symbol on it. When I realized what it was, I really wanted to mention it to someone, then felt really churlish when I realized I was probably the only person in the building who would care....

It did make me curious and look up if McQuarrie had done any early work on TNG, but couldn't find it. Maybe one of the artists who had worked on TNG had worked with him prior?

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well this is delightful and not something I was aware existed:

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol. Also FYI, Corvette Summer is legit amazing.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  9. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Give me a post-RotJ animated series with Hamill reprising Luke plz now okay.

10. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    This reminds me of how Mark Hamill himself was a character in the Kingsman comic. They took him out of the movie adaptation, but then cast Hamill as the character who kidnapped Hamill in the comic.

Sinrebirth and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Has that Corvette Summer joke been done elsewhere before? It's been some 40 years (oh God I'm old) so I would think someone would've thought of it sooner.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Did you also come across how the comic happened?

Millar wanted to do it, then realised he had to get Hamill's permission, went around asking for contact info, got it from someone, rang Hamill who Ok'd it there and then, just before it all went to press.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, it's definitely been done.

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I was at my parents' for Easter, and I saw their next-door neighbors moved out last week. I remember them moving in twenty years ago, because they had two (then) young sons and when I was at my parents' back then I looked after them a few times. They were die-hard TPM fans at the time (of course) and I remember watching the movie with them, helping them build TPM Lego sets, and playing Episode I Racer with them. They're both adults and moved out a long time ago, but it felt weird that the family moved in right before Episode I, and moved out right before Episode IX.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

These trailers are awesome and i love the music

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2019
    cthugha and Gamiel like this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    from Godzilla: Half Century War by James Stokoe

spicer likes this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I wouldn’t be suprised if this is where they are getting the inspiration from....Which is good since this is a GREAT Godzilla comic

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    It seems like not only is Rey following in Luke's footsteps, but Daisy Ridley is following in Mark Hamill's footsteps in having her post-Star Wars movie career get off to a rocky start.

The article also has a picture of her with blonde hair, which just feels off after being used to her with Rey's hair.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That be a shame if that happens...It be interesting if she enters into the world of voice acting.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    She is an English actor, that means that she will most likely be voice acting. She has after all already done TV, theatre, musical and movies, a BBC radio-drama is just really the next step.

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    "Chaos Walking centers around a young man named Todd Hewitt, who lives on an Earth-like colony planet where almost all women were killed off by a virus—and the remaining men are plagued by a condition called the Noise, where they can hear each other’s thoughts, played out in a series of images, words, and sounds. As the corrupt mayor of the colony tries to use this power to wipe out the indigenous alien race, Todd comes across a woman named Viola, played by Ridley, who may hold the clue to saving everyone."

That sounds awful.

22. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Jeez, pick a plot! You can have a Gendercide plot, a plot about everyone getting the Shinning, or the James Cameron's Avatar plot, but don't try to do all 3 at once!

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I spent most of that article with a 'WTF' expression... up until I came to the part about it being an adaptation of a YA novel series.

24. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Can they just make a Worm series already.

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This is for the film

Gamiel likes this.