main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    [face_rofl]

...Man, I am so here for using Grievous/the CIS in general to mock the hell out of Lost Cause BS that it's not even funny.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  2. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Right around the time the original Battlefront II was really popular we were watching the Civil War movie Glory in our history class, and at the end when they've lost the battle and the Confederate flag is being raised, I turned to my friend and said "The Confederacy is in control of another command post", which cause a lot of inappropriate laughter.

MercenaryAce and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Cowboy Grievous spinning pistols to showboat and intimidate in a high-noon shootout, like this but with four blasters at once:

MercenaryAce likes this.
  4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Now I'm imagining Indiana Jones just rolling his eyes and stabbing him with a sword.

MercenaryAce, Senpezeco and Vthuil like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel:

@Charlemagne19 based on how many referenes and bad puns you used in your "the Anchor" setting am I surprised that you did not have a "Trader Jawa's" store/chain

[​IMG]
    by the way of http://shirtigo.co/trader-jawa/

Barriss_Coffee and starfish like this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Oh, I love bad puns and references.

They're the basis of Jane Doe's adventures in I WAS A TEENAGE WEREDEER. She works at the Deerlightful Diner with her dad Buck.

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That Jawa doesn’t look very happy, didn’t want to be in the picture?

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Any Twin Peaks fans floating around Lit? My wife and I finally got our hands on the season three bluray and have been working through it. Just finished "Gotta Light?" and my mind is too blown to actually construct any coherent thought about it. All I can think of is how far the series has come from the days when it was basically an off-kilter soap opera / murder mystery.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Twin Peaks is an amazing experience and inspired me to write my Bright Falls Mysteries novels. The show's first season was amazing and roughly half of the second season was also an incredible series of events (along with half a season of truly terrible episodes). Fire Walk With Me is an underrated classic, IMHPO. Twin Peaks: The Return was even more crazy and outlandish but I loved it too.

Sadly, I feel like the ending was even more cliffhangery than the original.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    TP also inspired me to write back in high school (and continues to be a never-ending font of inspiration even today). That first season and a third or so is amazing, Fire Walk With Me is a gem, and the third season so far is a wild, weird experience that I'm enjoying a great deal despite having almost no idea whatsoever what's going on (which is all par for the course with a Lynch project so no points deducted for that). The latter two thirds or so of season two are a rough patch, no doubt about it, but at least the finale gives it a nice recovery. As far as a cliffhanger ending for season 3 goes, it can't possibly be worse than the one for season 2, right? ...Right?

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

MercenaryAce and JediBatman like this.
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "Ryan Condal, who was recently developing Amazon's Conan the Barbarian TV series before they passed on it, is developing the pilot"

I'm still really bitter about this not happening. Would have taken Conan over WoT or LotR series in a heartbeat. Love fantasy. Love "walk the earth" TV shows... and unto this: CONAN.

Oh well.

Anyway, cool. I wonder if they'll feel beholden to the GoT continuity. I would assume so. Kind of a shame. I want a better looking Iron Throne. (I appreciate that's "ironic"** and stuff but it's so piddly. Dany's Dragonstone Throne was a much better size: just cover that in swords!)

EDIT: On the subject of WoT, here's a photo of the principal cast together:

[​IMG]

For all the bellyaching (belly...whistling?) about "forced diversity", I notice that the actors playing Mat, Perrin, Egwene and Nynaeve (the only four for whom it matters) actually do all look like they could come from the same general region. So that particular objection no longer seems to have much of a leg to stand on.

** EDIT: Ahaha the "ironic throne". I meant "iconic", obviously, but I'll leave it as is.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Speaking of "Continuity" I'm so curious to see the aesthetic choices they make for the LOTR Second Age tv show.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, me too. I'm kind of hoping they blaze their own trail but I think it's fairly likely it'll be really Jacksonish. Grapevine seems to think Weta is already involved, too?

16. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    A Conan show would have been incredible. I want some Belit on tv!

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So long as Arnold still walks the earth and the hope of King Conan survives, I'm ok with any and all other Conan projects stalling.

Vthuil likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I am making an attempt to read through all or some of the Dune books. Who else has read these? Is there a point where I should stop? I heard the Brian Herbert/KJ Anderson ones suck. Should I stop before then?

Dune was just as good as I remember it, but I just got through Dune 2: Messiah and that sucked pretty bad. Without going into too many spoilers, in my version Brian gave an introduction explaining that Messiah didn't do well with neither critics nor fans, and he claims it was because they didn't understand the plot because they wanted Paul to be a faultless hero. But I kinda disagree with him since every darned page of the book says "Paul's gonna mess up" and even Paul says it fifty million times. Rather, Dune 2 performs the cardinal literary sin of introducing far too many characters and plots at the beginning that don't go anywhere, and kills half the cast offscreen.

I'm about a third of the way through Dune 3: Children of Dune now, and I'm not sure what to make of the series. It's still not as good as Dune 1, but at least Jessica's back so there's one logically thinking person in the cast again, and they've shut Paul up for the moment so he's not all "hey guys I suck at the hero thing, oh woe is me, I'm gonna messiah-drive us all over a cliff like lemmings".

The main thing I like about Dunes 2 and 3, which wasn't much of a message in Dune 1, is the whole "don't live your life through premonitions". It's like Dooku's obsession of predicting the future in the new Master & Apprentice book. There is a Frank Herbert quotable quote that floats out there, "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience", that I rather like and sums this theme up. The obsession with trying to predict the future in order to control it drives many to madness.

So speaking about knowing the future, does the rest of the Dune series suck post-Frank?

vncredleader, Ghost and Gamiel like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Time for an inevitable avatar change.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Since it's not official it's not worth it's own thread....yet....but from Hollywood Reporter

21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Can people who have Twitter accounts please report the fake Ian McDiarmid twitter, https://twitter.com/ianmcdiarmid_ ?

"I don't have any social media accounts, so if you think you're contacting me on Facebook and Twitter or any other site, you're not. It's all of these people pretending to be me, which is kind of odd, but in a way, a kind of tribute too, but, no, if you come across me, apparently me, on social media, it's not me."

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    THIS IS GETTING OUT OF HAND.

Havac likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, about that new Picard novel....

RRP £16.99 !?

No.

I've enjoyed the run on Trek books for the last few years, but that was when they were £6.99 paperbacks. Then they went up to £10.99, now £16.99. Nope, time to bail.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I am Gamiel I wonder if anybody have used the Blazing Chain pirates from SW SAGA RPG supplement Unknown Regions and if so: in which part of the UR did you place them?

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    This is the first time the Avengers game has actually looked decent.