main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

As a big fan of the 2018 She-Ra cartoon, I am super excited by the new posters...it sorta confirms one of my fan theories I've had since day 1...SUPREME LEADER CATRA ya'll

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I went to our local pumpkin festival this evening. Of the ~600 entries in our jack-o'-lantern contest I only saw one SW-themed pumpkin! (a rather stout porg in the middle of the STAR WARS logo) I did see this car window decal though:

[​IMG]

My favorite entry was a carved gourd dressed up like Mr. Peanut. [face_pumpkin]

Iron_lord and JediBatman like this.
  3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    May have to look into SheRa. MLP just ended and Star vs ended earlier this year. Need a good cartoon dang it! Stop ending them!

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh you should it take place on a planet called Etheria and there is an evil Empire fighting against a Rebellion lead by princesses and a young heroine who finds the wider world around them and becomes a great hero ....sound familiar ;)

(Might wanna get on the She-Ra bandwagon soon, Season 4 may be second to last season)

Also if you liked Star vs ...You might like Disney's Amphibia!

If your looking for something more grown up then I suggest Oc 28th the pilot for HAZBIN HOTEL releases

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Uh, isn't that like, 50 percent of all genre fiction?

...Though I will say that I am a lot more okay with the significant number of fans shipping the heroine and the new Supreme Leader than I am in certain other fandoms I may peruse. [face_mischief]

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Catradora ....Reylo ...but gay ;)

I will say Catra maaaaaybe Kylo but better.....and probably you can make a better argument for redemption......But lets not go down that rabbit hole shall we :p

(Not to mention the She-Ra creators tease it ALL THE TIME)

Seriously though She-Ra....SO GOOD! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2019
  7. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    I didn't see the word 'new' on my first reading and thought "??¿?¿ [​IMG] Now that is one helluva crack pairing." What would you even call that? Roke? Snokey? Yuck?

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

We were talking about She-Ra and how the Antagonist (Who is kinda a Kylo Ren like figure) essentially took over her evil faction in Season 4.

9. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Ya, I know -- I'm saying my stupid misreading of the post made me think for a roller coaster of a second that the SW pairing parallel/contrast ("certain other fandoms") was being drawn with Rey-Snoke when it was actually Rey-Kylo.

I don't think I've seen any of the cartoons mentioned on this page except for one or two episodes of MLP (I heard there were characters spoofing Anna Wintour and Karl Lagerfeld and wanted to see how they had them speak and act). When I was little I could never get into the original MLP series (but I watched the **** out of The Last Unicorn (oh hey that had Christopher Lee in it too)).

Has anyone here read Margaret Atwood's The Testaments yet, the sequel to The Handmaid's Tale? I'm rereading Handmaid right now and trying to decide whether I want to wait for a copy to free up at my library (6+ month wait list just for one of the eBook copies, let alone one of the print copies) or just jump straight to buying my own. My library doesn't have Oryx and Crake at all, unfortunately, the other book by her I wanted to try.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

If there is one thing the internet has taught me my friend is that if the two characters BREATH the same air...They are shipped. ;)

Ah classic MLP...never seen it...New MLP on the other ...That was good stuff. Been getting a lot of cartoons out there, animation has done some pretty great things beyond Star Wars animation.

Never read The Handmaids Tale but I have heard of it.

Senpezeco likes this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've read The Handmaiden's Tale a few years back. I was at first wary of the announcement of the sequel, sort of like if George Orwell came out of the grave and announced "Hey guys, sequel to 1984 is on the menu!" In general I actually have come to despise most sequels popular sci-fi authors have done, especially if they can't stop and make series. I gave up on the Dune series I mentioned in this thread a week or so ago. Ditto Asimov's Foundation, ditto Clarke's 2001 spinoffs. It's not the rehashing I take issue with, but the retelling of the same moral over and over again to the point they've ruined and distorted the memory of the original (and honestly usually by the third or fourth book things get "weird", like the authors are bored with their story and want to introduce something entirely outlandish, like Rudyard Kipling fighting Teddy Roosevelt and aliens (WTF CLARKE!)).

Honestly George Lucas did that too. Fourth installment? BANG. Weirdness ensues. Star Trek movies? SPACE WHALES.

And there is definitely a weirdness trend correlatable to the amount of time between the original and a sequel. Which makes me wary of The Testaments, but I haven't heard anything "bad" or "weird" about it yet.

Senpezeco likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Episode 4 ain't that bad

13. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    I happen to find Dune 1-3 utterly boring and 4-6 utterly genius and from what I've seen in Internet discussions, there isn't any sort of consensus on it (some like only 4, some consider 4 to be the worst etc.), I haven't seen a series more divisive than that.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Anyone who keeps up with the comic book world here's something interesting

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Now that's interesting. Marvel have been selling comics just fine but creatively they've been in the doldrums for years, locked into an eternal event cycle of their own making.

Alonso couldn't fix it, neither could Cebulski.

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It is definitely interesting.

For me it's a sidelining of Marvel CEO Perlmutter who is known to be QUITE notorious on various fronts.

It's one of the reasons why Marvel TV always seem independent from the films because TV reported to Perlmutter and the films were under Feige purview. And since Perlmutter and Feige hated each other TV did it's own thing and paid lips service to the films and the films didn't care. Now it's all gonna be under Feige so the people in charge of TV will have to report to Feige and he's probably gonna have a lot of input on what goes on there.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Perlmutter has been a pain in the arse for Marvel comics for years.

Vthuil likes this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Sadly, so any sidelining of him is always a plus.

Plus it seems NOW the MCU is FINALLY...Under one single command.

Big things could be coming.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2019
    Senator Wan and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One thing I don't see Feige doing, which there will be lots of pre-emptive freaking out about, is a single continuity. It's in his interest for the comics to keep doing what they're doing independent of the films.

What might well happen is that the marketing has less of a stranglehold on the comics and the creatives can actually get creative and back to the business of competing with DC.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well either way, will be interesting to see how this effects Marvel long term as Perlmutter is more and more sidelined.

Curious how this effects Marvel SW long term?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2019
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I don't know or care enough about corporate politics to have any idea what this might mean more broadly, but the less that... guy has an effect on anything, the better.

Ulicus and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh now that's interesting. I might continue then. I started reading the 4th, while pretty much despising the preceding duo, but if the 4th actually gets better, or at least varies significantly from the path the preceding two took, I'd be interested. There were scenes in Books 2 and 3 that occurred... multiple times. Like literally the same conversation. Over. And over. I thought the first Dune novel moved along pretty quick, so I didn't really have a problem -- or any problem -- with that one. In fact it wrapped up almost too quickly.

I am aware of the Weird Thing that is the hallmark of Book 4. I should probably read it before it, too, is turned into a bad TV show. (I actually thought it was going to be in Children of Dune... perhaps that's why I left disappointed.)

23. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    Maybe Agents of SHIELD will go from “technically canon” to “actually canon” now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oyez! Oyez! Wordery doing buy one book full-price, get 10% off the others for this weekend only, end 21 Oct.

@Sinrebirth - this mean you as they currently offer both Thrawn Ascendancy 1 and Alphabet Squadron: Shadow Fall for £14.00, buying one at full price and another at 10% renders both at £13.30.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Much hearts to you.

I haven't preordered Resistance Reborn yet so....