main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Besides the historical details being the same up to that point, one of the writers/experts on Fallout (Chris Avellone, I believe) has stated this to be the case.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This line of questioning feels like a swift road to insanity.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was just thinking that it is possible that even if the over all history could be similar there could be an earlier divergent. F.ex. maybe some of USA's or Germany's experiment that happened in WWII could be the divergent.

4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, there are hints that some of the technological developments were spurred by alien technology. But that doesn't explain the sociological shifts - for instance, why the US went to the Commonwealth system.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Per the Fallout Bible there's not an explicit "divergence point" so much as "Fallout assumes the future occurred in the way that people in the 1950s thought it would."

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Looking for a real-world divergence point is a road to madness, because it's not really an alternate history in that sense.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Really you guys open a new social thread while I'm not around to post on the first page? Guess I'll just have to vandalize* the opening post, then.

*Imperialize, I mean. I would never do anything barbaric.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Per the Fallout Bible: "Fallout takes place on a future earth, in an alternate timeline. I will not be including any information on how and when it diverged - it will remain one of the mysteries of the setting. Just let it be known that it diverged after WW2, and leave it at that."

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Right, I assume that's developer speak for "Some time in the 1950s we never actually worked out."

Edit: Plus I wouldn't be at all surprised if, assuming the existence of a "definitive" date was ever settled, the Interplay Irregulars had different dates in mind when they were making the games than Todd Howard and the Bethesdas did.

10. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Until Fallout 3, there really isn't anything - and to be honest, the original was probably under the assumption that it was a possible future. The presence of the Virgo II Lunar Lander with the Commonwealth flag on the moon, however, makes it clear that it is indeed an alternate reality. And because the matter hasn't been addressed, that's why I'm speculating about it. (Although perhaps Fallout 4 might have some answers).
    It's interesting from a standpoint of technological advance, certainly, with them just getting text adventure games and early video games. (Also, that most of the advanced developments were made in the years just prior to the nuclear war).

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I suspect it diverged the moment Hiroshima and Nagasaki ghouls started popping up.

Ramza and Point Given like this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, well, then 1956, since the term AI exists. The point of divergence is clearly the election of 1956, which in the Fallout universe must've been won by Adlai Stevenson.

That **** is what happens when you don't like Ike.

Abadacus and blackmyron like this.
  13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Hmm. I think I want Fallout 4, but do I want it as soon as it comes out?

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, but there's also terms like 'hippie' that have shown up, which didn't exist in popular culture until the 1960s on our world; the existence of the term may simply mean they developed it at a later point.
    But on the point of technology - it appears as if the transistor was never discovered until just prior to the bombs falling. Technology seemed to have developed horizontally, not vertically.

Certainly possible; the Shadowrun universe begins to diverge substantially after Michael Dukakis wins the US Presidency in '88.

;)

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I would wait for a Legendary edition with all the DLC and Bug fixes.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Plus by then there will be a decent fan patch that fixes all the bugs they still didn't fix.

17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    So the thread title has changed again. Shame, apropos is so last Friday. It should be more... charismatic? I send ACKBAR IS MOIST to the to-be-approved list.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "MOIST CHARISMA" is the name of the Lit Dating Thread.

19. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Funny thing is, if you follow Kevin Hearne on Twitter, he's fully embraced the meme.

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, it's honestly not a bad thing in the grand scheme. One of the best things about HttJ is that kind of light-heartedness.

21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    It really is a stylistic throwback to the old Marvel comics and the like. Whether or not that makes it good is YMMV, but I enjoyed it for what it was. It was certainly a more entertaining read to me than Tarkin, which, aside from being Luceno and all that entails, basically had nothing for me.

Revanfan1, Aphra and CooperTFN like this.
  22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    It must be a VIP-only thread or something because I don't see it. Like the deluxe Cad Bane thread with its "your wall of text has to be this tall" requirement.

AdmiralWesJanson and Gamiel like this.
  23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So I just spent a 4 hour train ride talking to a former Emergency Doctor from Somalia who was having severe problems with his new prosthetic hand after losing his orginal hand during his new vocation here in Britain, working in a meat packaging plant. [face_sigh]

24. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I've always wondered why there weren't tremendous efforts put forth to find ways to bring peoples' foreign degrees and certifications into compliance with local standards, like, the second they enter a country instead of making them start from scratch. Like, if I can basically go in for a day or two and get a local driver's license somewhere I should be able to go in for a few months and be able to practice medicine.

25. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm double posting because I am.

This is Ewan McGregor playing Jesus in an upcoming movie, but I'll be damned if it isn't an A+ look for Ben in Episode 3.5.

[​IMG]