main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Monday Mush Mania | Discussion & Index

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Monday_Mush_Mania, Jul 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    Welcome to the
    All New Monday Mush Mania!

Welcome to Monday Mush Mania, the place to discuss mush and encourage writers of "mushy" fanfic!

What is mush?
    Mush can be tricky to define; it’s often associated with romance, but not all romance is mushy, and not all mush is romance.

Based on a discussion “What is mush to you?” in the OTP & Pairing Thread, a good definition might be:

Mush is any story based on the emotional interactions and expressions of affection between characters—whether in the context of a romantic relationship, a friendship, or a familial relationship.

Less formally, it’s something that makes you go “awwww”, “squee” or [face_love]. It can be about your OTP, but it can also feature loyal friends, cute kids or small, furry animals—anything that evokes those warm and fuzzy feelings!

Challenges:
    A new challenge will be announced every three months, on a Monday, of course! It will be due 10 weeks later, also on a Monday. This is when you will post your mush; please do not post before the given date.

The Rules
    1. Stories posted under MMM must be mush, or include a healthy dose of mush.
    2. Stories will be posted on the designated Monday. Please post a link to your story in this thread.
    3. Stories must keep within the TOS.
    4. Story prompts may be combined with other challenges. Chapters within longer works are also allowed.
    5. Mush is not required to be romantic in nature.

Discussion:
    New topics for discussion will be posted periodically. If you have ideas for discussion topics or challenges, please PM the sock.

--------------------------
    As of July 9, 2018, this thread is maintained by @Raissa Baiard

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. Monday_Mush_Mania

Jun 9, 2007
    INDEX

Spoonfuls of Mush
    Entries:

The Look of Love, by @Mira_Jade
    Sweet Nothings by @Raissa Baiard
    Montage of Melty Moments by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Set 1
    1. Surprise
    2. Present
    3. Together
    4. Occasion
    5. Because
    Set 2
    1. Warm
    2. Fuzzy
    3. Sweet
    4. Cute
    5. Snuggle
    Set 3
    1. Attentive
    2. Baffled
    3. Cautious
    4. Hopeful
    5. Curious
    Set 4
    1. Watch
    2. Listen
    3. Learn
    4. Feel
    5. Believe
    Set 5
    1. Breathe
    2. Sigh
    3. Gasp
    4. Pant
    5. Exhale

Challenge #1: Write a story in which a character (or characters) plans something special for another character (or characters).
    Esher by @mavjade
    And They Lived Happily Ever After., part three By @Raissa Baiard
    Beauty of the Gift by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Imperfect Perfection by @ThisIsMe1138
    The Best Gifts by @Briannakin
    "Said the Voice From the Stars" by @Mira_Jade
    Jailhouse Schemes by @moosemousse
    Romance among the Stones by @Findswoman
    All Good Sense by @mayo_durron_666

Challenge #2: Write a story about a character or characters adjusting to something new.
    Celebration by @CaraJinn
    Best Adventure of All by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    What Dreams May Come by @Vek Talis
    "I See the Moon" by @Mira_Jade
    Sweet Nothings,set #3, by @Raissa Baiard
    Next Steps by @Briannakin
    Friends, Family, Love by @mavjade

Challenge #3: Vacation!

Pan and Teilo by @Briannakin
    On the Brink of Something Special by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Feel Safe at Night by @Findswoman
    Tired by @earlybird-obi-wan

Challenge #4: Spring Is in the Air
    The Charm of Spring by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Happiness Is a Warm Loth-Wolf by @Raissa Baiard

Challenge #5: What's on the Menu?
    Choose Your Fortune, by @Raissa Baiard
    A Rewarding Partnership, by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Challenge #6: Meet the Family
    Meet the Founding Father by @Briannakin
    The Best Way to a Man's Heart by @devilinthedetails

Challenge #7: Just for You
    The Gifts by @Jedi_Lover
    Cloudshape Falls by @devilinthedetails
    Just for Grandma by @Briannakin

Challenge #8: K.I.S.S.
    Great Minds and Sweet Plans by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Stolen Moments and Balcony Kisses by @devilinthedetails
    The Word for Kiss is “Mureysha” by @Raissa Baiard
    A Private Place by @Findswoman
    A Second Breath by @Mira_Jade

Challenge #9: The Hunting of the Snark
    Directionless by @devilinthedetails
    The Last Thing by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Challenge #10: I Promise
    One Broken, One Made by @mayo_durron_666[/USER
    Three Promises by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Krayt Dragon in the Closet by @devilinthedetails

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  3. Monday_Mush_Mania

Jun 9, 2007
    Welcome to the first Mushy Monday here on the Monday Mush Mania thread! Let's get things started with some general questions, some discussion and our first challenge!

General Questions:
    1. The MMM challenges have been non-competitive in the past, the idea being simply to promote mush and spread the warm and fuzzy feelings. Do you like it this way, or would you prefer to have them be competitive?
    2. Right now, I have the writing period for challenges set at 10 weeks, similar to that of the OTP challenges. Is this too long? Too short? About right?
    Discussion:

Is there anything you would add or change in the definition of mush above?

What kind of mush do enjoy reading? What kind do you like to write?

MMM Challenge #1:
    Write a story in which a character (or characters) plans something special for another character (or characters).

This can be for any occasion--birthday, anniversary, Life Day or other holiday--or no reason at all! Do things go as planned or does everything go awry? Remember that it doesn't have to be romantic in nature; your characters can be friends, siblings, parent and child, etc.

Stories must follow the MMM rules above and will be due on Monday September 17, 2018.

Kahara, brodiew, Ewok Poet and 5 others like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    General Questions:
    1. The MMM challenges have been non-competitive in the past, the idea being simply to promote mush and spread the warm and fuzzy feelings. Do you like it this way, or would you prefer to have them be competitive?
    Answer: I could go either way. Whichever is less stressful, more motivating for the authors. @};-
    2. Right now, I have the writing period for challenges set at 10 weeks, similar to that of the OTP challenges. Is this too long? Too short? About right?
    Answer: Any range from 6-10 weeks sounds about right. Anything over 10 weeks would be hard to remember, perhaps? [face_thinking]
    Discussion:
    It's a terrific just-fine definition. It is definitely warm/fuzzy squee-licious!
    What kind of mush do you enjoy reading? What kind do you like to write?
    I adore all forms: friendship, siblings, parent & child, but the topper is couple mush! I love to write all forms, but especially couple mush, but it doesn't have to be strictly romancy. ;) I love delving into the process of getting closer emotionally and opening up and building not just love, but trust and commitment. [face_dancing]

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    General Questions:

The MMM challenges have been non-competitive in the past, the idea being simply to promote mush and spread the warm and fuzzy feelings. Do you like it this way, or would you prefer to have them be competitive?
    I prefer it to be non-competitive. Mush should make everyone happy, and I feel that any competition would make people feel bad if they didn't 'win'.

Right now, I have the writing period for challenges set at 10 weeks, similar to that of the OTP challenges. Is this too long? Too short? About right?
    I don't remember how long it was before. If everyone finishes their fics in less time then maybe consider shortening it.

Discussion:

It's a good definition. The only thing I can come up with as an alternative is just repeating it in different ways.

I like it when plans come together and something that could go horribly wrong goes wonderfully right. Unexpected mush is good too. Take me on a roller coaster before throwing my into a giant bowl of warm pudding.

Also, I love the challenge. I'm tempted to just write about me planning to write some mush for this challenge. Would that be allowed? [face_batting]

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Ummm...yes to everything? :)

I'm not good with this, but I love it and support it, wholeheartedly!

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Super excited this challenge is back! :D
    Quick question, is this open to NSWFF too, or just SW?

The MMM challenges have been non-competitive in the past, the idea being simply to promote mush and spread the warm and fuzzy feelings. Do you like it this way, or would you prefer to have them be competitive?

I like it as non-competitive because the whole idea of MMM is to spread the mush and that feeling. I feel like adding a competition to it kinda takes some of that away. I know most people are used to thread competitions and take them well, but it still changes the dynamic, I think.

Right now, I have the writing period for challenges set at 10 weeks, similar to that of the OTP challenges. Is this too long? Too short? About right?
    I definitely don't think it's too short. I like having a longer period of time, but it does sometimes lead to forgetting about a challenge. So I like it at 10 weeks, but think it could be good at 6 or 8 as well.

Nope, I think it's fantastic! Mush is more of a feeling rather than something that can be fully defined, but I think that's as good of a definition as can be given.

I'm pretty sure I like all types. But I think parent and child is probably one of my favorites for both reading and writing. There's just something about that relationship that really makes me "Awww....[face_love]"
    And because my muse is angsty, I usually end up writing something a bit angsty before the mush really kicks in and makes up for it. I usually don't intend to go that way, but that's just how it turns out.

8. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
  9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I too am thrilled to see this thread up and running. I have so many wonderful MMM memories and can't wait to make more. [face_love]

I like the idea of keeping this non-competitive, as well. The whole point of mush, as others have mentioned, is to spread warm and fuzzy feelings. There's no need to add an overtone of competition to that, even friendly. :)

Personally, ten weeks is a bit on the long side for me. With that much time the challenge could get lost on the back burner, and perhaps somewhat selfishly I want more mush! But I also say that as someone with the ability to write relatively fast when inspired, so please feel free to just ignore me if I'm against the general consensus! ;) A few people have mentioned anywhere between 6-10 weeks, which I agree with completely. At the very least, the timeframe is something our dear hostess can play around with after we get a couple rounds off the ground, if necessary. [face_thinking]

Nope! I can't imagine it being phrased any better. [face_love]

I like reading mush of all sorts. I keep a varied reading diet, but I do love a happy ending and mush just hits the spot after a good round of angst!

Interestingly enough, romantic mush is the most difficult thing for me to write. I have a hard time writing romance for the sake of romance without the context of a larger plot - so this thread will definitely be good exercise for flexing my writing muscles.

But I do love writing team-as-family mush! I adore exploring the dynamics between both families of blood and choice. Friendship as healing from the hard times, as a sort of light at the end of the tunnel is a comfort zone for my muse, that's for certain!

It's great to see all of the varied answers to these questions, that said! Something tells me it's going to be a fantastic Monday to come! [face_batting] [face_love] [face_dancing]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I have the same question as Mav :p

1. Like the old rendition of MMM, I'd prefer to keep MMM non-competitive. As it says, the spirit of MMM was to... well, spread mushy feelings on a given Monday. Yeah, people here are great with casual challenges and there are no hard feelings, but I think mush should come from the heart, the not a brain. Plus if the prompt inspires an idea that doesn't 100% fit the brief, the author won't feel awkward posting it alongside those that do.

2. I think it might be too long. I'm notorious about procrastinating, then forgetting. I'd prefer much more in the 6-8 week timeframe. Then that way, if a certain prompt just doesn't get the mushy plot bunnies going, it isn't too long of a 'waiting period ', with, understanding, the host doesn't have to put up a new challenge every 6-8 weeks.

1. Totally spot on! Mush is much more about the feeling it creates than an actual 'story genre'.

2. I'm a sucker for both reading and writing all types of mush. I have a certain affection for agnsty mush as well as hurt/comfort stuff. Not sure why. Maybe it's because at our most vulnerable, those moments of mush can be so impactful. I also really enjoy unconventional mush, like between relationships that rarely get those displays of affection, like father-son and bromances. Of course I still love romantic mush and parent-little kid stuff.

11. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    I. Am. Confused... and unbelievably interested. So are we supposed to be writing this now? Or are we just discussing it? I am a 110% on board!!!!!!! [gooey_heart_in_puddle_face]

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @ThisIsMe1138 :D The story isn't due to be posted before the deadline, September 17, but you can start writing it anytime. [face_dancing]

Raissa Baiard and Findswoman like this.
  13. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha or @Raissa Baiard : (or anybody else who can help me) Ooh... that's a long time... Is there a general length it's supposed to be? Mine are usually around 1-2k.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Raissa Baiard likes this.
  14. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    There’s no set length requirements, though I think on the old thread, the stories leaned toward one shots and vignettes. So 1-2 K would be just fine. And i’ll be posting reminders as we get closer to the deadline; if a lot of people finish before then, I can certainly move it up.

15. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Okay, thanks a lot [face_love]

The bunnies are already jumping in my head [face_party] And I didn't realize I was supposed to answer the questions, so I'll have to do that later :)

16. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Before I get in trouble, really sorry for the double post, but I wanted to answer the discussion questions.

Answer: As I am brand new, I have no idea. Although I like the idea of competition, I don't think mush is the right place for it :)

In my opinion, it's a little long, but then I'm on summer break so I've literally got hours of free time and I'm a fast writer.

Nope. Okay, yes. I would add that it makes you desperately need an emoji with your heart in a puddle.

My personal favorites to write would be parent/child relationships between characters who aren't actually related. For example, Poe and Leia or Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. I also like writing brotherly relationships, e.g. Han + Luke or Obi-Wan + Anakin. I'm not very experienced at romance - I like writing crushes better. But I am young, so let me be. :p

I am sooooo excited for this challenge!!!!!

Edit: Can you have beta readers for challenges?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    HOORAY! [face_dancing] So glad to see this resurrected—this is going to be so much fun, and even though RL may prevent me from fully taking part sometimes, I can't wait to see what stories this will generate! :D

I'm all for keeping this one noncompetitive, at least most of the time; I agree with what others have said about it being more in keeping with the theme of the thread and of mush in general that way. (That said, the very occasional special competitive challenge could be fun, too. But we can just see how things goes.)

That sounds like a fine length to me, as someone who has a tendency toward writing slowly, though I'm flexible given that the

I think it looks great—sums it up quite well and quite clearly.

Oh gee, hmmm... I'm a bit new to mush all around. In terms of reading, I enjoy any type of mush that's well-crafted and thoughtful—romance, parents and children, friends, people comforting each other, you name it. Writing is where I'm especially new at it, and I guess my earliest attempts at it have tended toward friendships, particularly female friendships (though I enjoy a good male friendship story too); I do enjoy a good story of characters comforting or helping each other, too. Recently I've begun dipping my toes into romantic mush, which I have to admit I'm rather enjoying, and indeed I think I have a story "in the drawer" that might fit the profile of the current challenge. ;) I haven't done much with parent-child yet, but I'd like to; in particular I'm hoping I can try my hand sometime at exploring the mother-son relationship, another one that doesn't get a lot of press.

So yes, there you have it, and thanks again to @Raissa Baiard for bringing this fun opportunity back to us! Looking forward! :)

18. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    So I guess I should answer my own questions now... :D

I like all types of mush; overall, I’m just a sucker for a happy ending and a story that makes me smile. As far as writing mush, I guess I like my mush mixed with humor: the meet-awkward, the date that goes all wrong but turns out just right, the annoying little sibling who turns out to be not so bad after all. Couple mush is probably most of the mush I write, but I also like to write about family relationships and cute kids :D

@ThisIsMe1138 : Yes, beta readers are definitely allowed. The only rules are the one in the first post; beyond that, it’s whatever works for you.

19. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Oops, double post!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  20. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    'Kay, cool :D As my muse prefers feelings to words (harnessing ideas can be like trying to catch the fluffy things that float around... or starlight) everything I write comes out mush... with the logical side of my brain having little to do with it ;) Excited for this!

21. Monday_Mush_Mania

Jun 9, 2007
    Hi and welcome to another Mushy Monday...er, Tuesday! Sorry about that; RL kept me away from the keyboard last night We’ve got a new discussion question, some general stuff and a new ongoing challenge! :D

General:
    The consensus seems to be in favor of keeping the challenges non-competitive. We’ll keep the first challenge period at 10 weeks, but if that seems too long to most people in the end, I’ll adjust it down for the next challenge.

To answer @mavjade ’s question (and I apologize for not getting to it sooner): NSWFF is definitely welcome, too. The more mush, the merrier!

Discussion:
    Thanks so much for the enthusiastic response to the first discussion question. It looks like we love all types of mush, whether it’s romantic, familial or friendship, as long as it gives us those warm and happy feelings. I’m looking forward to seeing some great stories of all kinds!

Do you have a favorite “mushy moment” from film/TV or fiction?

Challenge: Spoonfuls of Mush
    This is an ongoing challenge inspired by the Ultimate Drabble Challenge. If you’re unfamiliar with the term, a drabble is a piece of writing that is exactly 100 words long.

A new set of prompts will be posted every other week to inspire some short and sweet mush!

The Rules

1. New prompts will be posted every other week. Each set of five drabbles should be posted together, at once and in order.
    2. There is no formal due date for the drabble sets; you can post them at any time. It doesn’t have to be a Monday! :)
    3. Please keep all of your drabbles in one thread, and include “Spoonfuls of Mush” in your header.
    4. Post a link to your drabble thread here. You may also share a link when you update throughout the challenge.
    5. You can join this challenge at any time; sets may be posted in any order.
    6. NSWFF drabbles are welcome too! The prompts will be fandom neutral.
    7. Remember that a drabble is EXACTLY 100 words. No more, and no less. For this challenge, drabbles may be around 100 words. For those who need it, a word counter can be found here.
    8. Get creative with interpreting the prompts! Thread a story through all five drabbles, use only dialogue only, write a poem…. Just have fun!

For our first set of prompts, here are some that might help you get the inspiration flowing for the first challenge:
    1. Surprise
    2. Present
    3. Together
    4. Occasion
    5. Because

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh wow! My favorite mushy moment? [face_dancing]
    In fanfic, it has to be the first one to rate a SQUEEEE!
    "Chasing Dreams" by JadeLotus the balcony scene with Luke & Mara where they talked candidly and "made up" :) [face_sigh]

~

In SW novels, I love every L/M scene that Zahn wrote and all the ones in "Balance Point."

In other fandoms, I love the Eowyn/Faramir scenes in "Return of the King".
    :D

23. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I can't think of any examples at the moment, but I am sucker father/son bonding moments in any media. In addition (not sure if mush or not), I enjoy bonding/brotherly moments between men. Bromance could be one thing to call, but it can go beyond the lighter aspects of that term.

DRABBLE? Did someone say DRABBLE?

'Just When I Thought I Was Out, They Pull Me Back In!' -Michael Corleone, Godfather III

Let the NSWFF Mush begin!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  24. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    In the Spoonfuls of Mush, does it have to all be the same characters/ or even fandom, or can it be a mashup of mush?

25. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    ...Okay, I'm interested, although I'm not sure how this works... you just write 100 words of mush based on the prompt?