main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Monthly gathering

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by navaren, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    The hall is reserved for the 19th.

2. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    Well I hope you all have fun then. I can't make it. :( I have Grizzles tickets that night against Manitoba.

3. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
  4. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Sounds good, I'll bring some friends. Where is it going to be?

5. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    It's the chapel on the corner of 210 N. and 800 W. in Orem. I'll be there a little early to get it opened up and the lights turned on. I'd also appreciate any volunteers for helping with refreshments.

6. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    I know it's BYOB (bring your own blade) but I don't have a blade to bring, unless the toy lightsabers will do. I'm fairly certain I've got a couple of those kicking around here.

7. Keighvin

Keighvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2001
    Lightabre's are typically pretty long (48" from pomel to tip - this includes the handle), so the toys don't always provide much to work with. Since we're not explicitly planning on whacking them together a lot pring whatever you can - I'll have one prop there but mostly I'll be using shinai (kendo practice swords).

8. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    As long as every gets to have a turn, I think that should work just fine. Thanks for the information, Paul.

9. Keighvin

Jan 30, 2001
    Darnit, I caought my "pring" type too late to fix it.

For clarification, I won't really have any equipment for anyone other than myself (and one choreography partner or victim... er, stand-in for examples) to use. Scrape together whatever you can, tape together old broom handles as necessary.

10. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    I'm getting a friend to bring bokken. I'll bring my intact toys, and maybe some brooms.

11. Keighvin

Jan 30, 2001
    Now there're "caought" and "type" typos I didn't get! Grrr. I need to be more careful when I type.

If the bokken you're referring to are the curved kind, I'd recommend against it. The style takes into account a straight, omnibladed surface (with no single edge, it uses the back a lot). Elements of it will still be applicable, but on the whole it won't flow right.

12. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Yes, slightly curved. We'll bring them anyway, I guess. Any other alternatives you could recommend---(However you spell that blasted word)?

13. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    Michael and I dropped by Home Depot tonight and found these lovely 48" long dowels. Depending on the thickness you're looking for, you're looking at between $3.19 and $5.19 per dowel. Cheaper than a broom handle (which they also carry), but you might want to sand these a little to keep the splinters at bay.

Also...volunteers for refreshments will be gladly appreciated.

14. Keighvin

Jan 30, 2001
    Our standard material for TOTJ filming is oak dowel, 48". Whatever you bring doesn't have to be made to take abuse though, you really only need something in your hands to get the feel for it - we may do some limited sparring, but that's open to those who want to, and are sensible enough to carry it out.

BRING WATER.

15. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    We'll have water at the church....I'll bring cups and we can use the pitchers already there.

16. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey folks.

I will unfortunately miss the activity. Hopefully I will catch the next one however.

This is mostly for Spoo since we talked and I was interested in coming. Sorry to miss out, but the rest of you have fun.

Jedi_Cougar

17. Keighvin

Jan 30, 2001
    Unless your hands are used to sword work, BRING GLOVES.

Most people learning any kind of sword for the first time get blisters (usually just below the pinky) after 10 to 15 minutes of experimenting.

18. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Well, I'll be there. I got some dowels and sanded them down. I should have 2-3 people with me.

19. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Allo,
    Thanks, Paul and Tiffany. Kris and I had a blast. Hopefully we can incorporate what we've learned into our fight scene. I'd like to learn more sometime.
    Unfortunately, I think I left my gloves next to the water right before I left :-( Did anybody find them?

20. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    I also had a lot of fun and I learned a ton. I really, really wish I would have known what I know now when I made my movie. But that's too bad.

Thanks very much Paul for teaching us and thanks Tifanny for basically hosting us. Wish more people could have been there, but that's ok. It was still fun.

Thanks again guys.

21. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    What did your gloves look like?

22. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Oops.... I feel dumb now. I found them in my dad's truck last night. Sorry.

23. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    When are we going to get the few pictures that were taken up on the site?

Just curious......... :)

24. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everyone,

Toran-Kal wrote...
    > When are we going to get the few pictures that were taken up on the site?

I'm working on them now. ;)

Later,

25. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    I'm glad you found the gloves. I was starting to sweat about it a little. ;)

Thanks for posting those pictures, Mike. I'm open to suggestions for next month, guys... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.