main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Monuments

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Rouge Null, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    If you could construct a monument to yourself, and money/realism wasn't an object(e.g. Your face on Rushmore), what would it be?

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I'd do the buddy Christ in the Vatican.

3. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    A 5,000 foot tall upside-down solid gold nude statue of myself holding the Earth.

4. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    [image=http://insidetheusa.net/images/blogs/trailerpark/office2.jpg]

fixed

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Triumphal arch or equestrian statue. Classic yet grand.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 9

May 4, 2003
    Oh come on, Jello. Triumphal archs are stupid.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It shall be a giant phallic symbol (much bigger than Washington's puny monument).

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They are not. What's wrong with them?

9. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I think I would just like a really nice house.

10. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I've always been fond of the Atlas statue at Rockefeller Center.

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    They are.

It's just incredibly stupid. An arch should be a feature in normal architecture anyway. There's nothing at all noteworthy or triumphant about making them elsewhere, anymore than I would think a gigantic "Post-and-Lentil Doorway of Triumph" would be cool.

12. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    You gotta be more specific, man.

Do you want a house symbolizing man's dominance over nature a la Villa Rotunda?
    Or man's harmony with nature a la Fallingwater?
    Or a housey house with a pitched roof and chimney with smoke coming out of it?

[/architecture student]

:p

I don't think any of even the most innovative firms in the world today that practice with sustainability have developed a legume based structural system.

As for the arch, it is one of the great discoveries made by man. It's far superior to post and lintel construction.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They're triumphal arches because they're used in triumphal processions, starting from when they were just arches erected for that purpose. They later became permanent.

What's so great about statues and obelisks? Statues are normal decorations and obelisks are just stone structures. It's the way they're used that's important.

Triumphal arches aren't used as supports, just as columns are rarely used as supports. Triumphal arches are large and free-standing. They aren't part of a building.

14. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I would want a house to symbolize my radiance and beauty.

I have always felt that grandness in architecture is a good thing.

However, if you really want to say, "I rule the world" dress in a business suit and keep your nails clean. I've always admired great men who dressed simply.

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    They're obviously not used for support. But they are just a larger version of something that is.

The vision just seems so pedestrian. I would've expected something grander from you.

16. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Considering Romans innovated the use of the arch and vaulted ceilings, I have no problem with them celebrating the use of it in many instances. Now if they learned to simply expose concrete, they could have called themselves modernists. :p

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Pedestrian? You call the Arch de Triomphe pedestrian?

I like grandiose things, but not ostantatiously so. Baroque architecture is tasteless and vulgar--something like Versailles is perhaps on the edge of tolerability. It's beautiful and majestic, but it still has that baroque tinge to it. I prefer something with a look of marble statuary--grand, but timelessly so.

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting?

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't know. . .something I would've agreed with. But I don't know what that is, yet, which is why I haven't posted anything myself.

Maybe something like Abu Simbel?

19. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Versailles is incredible. If I was a ruler, thats what I would want my palace to be like. Baroque excess is better than Classical Sparseness.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Something like Abu Simbel would require a godlike ego.

Oh, wait.

It'd just be tacky, though. It's a bit too much, I think.

EBB: Well, I like a mixture. The Europeans did it well, they made a lot of use of colonnades and ballustrades but without making them look simple.

21. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Why are you comparing a temple to a triumphal arch? The Romans built plenty of temples on their own that are worthwhile. Hell, even their basilicas were great.

EDIT: That is not to discount the work of the Egyptians, but you have to compare apples to apples here.

EBB: What exactly are you referring to with 'classical sparseness?' Even Greek architecture made use of ornament and colors.

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, Jello, I kind of was considering that too. Which is why I hadn't selected that option for myself. Personally, I would be a little more comfortable if we could offset the requisite ego a bit by at least putting ourselves in a larger context. Like could this be a monument to our family, which included, but didn't necessarily feature us?

Baron, I'm comparing because we're just asking what sort of monument you'd prefer. That they are different types of structures is superfluous. I would still not prefer an arch, under any circumstances, really. And I'm well aware of both Greek and Roman temples. I just happen to be more taken with Egyptian ones. More to the point, Abu Simbel, despite being a temple, is so deeply narcissistic that it could fairly be characterized as a personal monument as well, seeing as how Rameses quite literally deifies himself in the thing.

EDIT: Oh, and because I didn't see it there before, I got BarOWNED.:(:p

23. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Well, its sparse compared to the ornamental and colorful Baroque style that GAJ was referencing.

24. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    A massive mausoleum. It will serve as inspiration for future generations who will never live to be as great as me.

25. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    I see. But the Renaissance was pretty ornamental in its own right too. :p

And if Adolph Loos were a user here, he'd probably be banned for flaming you and GAJ. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.