main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Monuments

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Rouge Null, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Why? What would he say? :p

2. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Well, his famous essay is titled "Ornament and Crime." :p

He pretty much equates ornament to how 'developed' a society is (for the most part it's an indictment of American architecture at the time, which was headstrong into classical revival).

At least he had a sense of humor though, as he entered a gigantic Greek column for the Chicago Tribune Building contest.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm confused. So he was saying that ornamentation--and developed societies--are a bad thing?

4. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Classical is such baloney though.

I have a fondness for Byzantine art moreso than Roman. Roman art always struck me as ugly and plain. Byzantine is so purple, and green, and mystical, and so vivid.

5. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    He basically sees it as a sign of backwardness, and considering some of the political undertones brewing around the region and world, the shift away from classical ornamentation (and the political and social values they represented) was an easy one to make at the time.

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I would like a house too.

Like Karazhan from World of Warcraft.

If not that.... Palatine.

7. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I mean, I am as big a fan of the Napoleonic Era, as GAJ is of the Roman Era, but Bonapartes Neo-Classical tastes always come off to me as garish, pretentious, and silly.

8. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Yeah, the late 18th/19th centuries can be seen as somewhat of a Dark Ages for architecture, at least up until the 1870s.

The three best works made during that 19th century were not even made by architects (the Crystal Palace, the Brooklyn Bridge & the Eiffel Tower).

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, it's not that I dislike innovation or anything. There are plenty of modern and later styles that I enjoy, except for postmodern garbage. It's just that were I ever to build my own estate or palace, I would not build it in a style that I might like one day and then later grow to hate. The thing about classical is that it's always good and it never changes--it represents the same thing. Best of all, it can still be used with modern styles.

EDIT: As for me, I do like the Napoleonic era too (though not nearly as much as the Roman era). Obviously, though, I enjoy the neo-classical flair the Bonapartes enjoyed. The Carolingan, not so much.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would have the Man In The Moon face made more clearly defined and carved to resemble my own face so we would all have a 2,000 mile wide me looking down on the world.

11. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    A small bronze plaque in the middle of the Amazon jungle.

12. Zas

Zas Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 8, 2000
    Some big sheltering thing that homeless people and cats can sleep under. Anybody trying to kick the homeless people out would be sued. :)

13. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Something with a lava floor! And crocodiles swimming around in it.

I'd also have a spiky wall. So I can kick people into my spiky wall. Well, I can't, but you get it.

14. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Some of the ones my friends and I came up with:

A hollowed-out mountain whose interior is filled with murals of the subject's life.

The Colossus of Rhodes remade in subject's image.

Subject carved into the moon in classic warrior pose.

Subject's face inserted into the Sistine Chapel's roof. (Though not as God)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.