main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Mood Music for Writers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by GuerreStellari, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuerreStellari

GuerreStellari Jedi Master star 2

Nov 23, 2003
    Has this been discussed before? I was cruising through the boards, and I found the over-30's talking about this. [face_devil]

What music do you listen to when writing Star Wars fan fiction? What helps you get in the mood for a lightsaber duel or a mushy Han-Leia scene?

I will now answer my own question:

For lightsaber duels, battles, and other violent/scary/action-packed scenes I use: angry techno, OutKast, The Roots (angry Roots), and, of course, Duel of the Fates. (YES! I admit it!)

For moody/mushy/angsty/drama scenes where people cry and hug and brood I use: Rufus Wainwright, Radiohead, Nick Drake, Rachmaninoff.

For just general mood in those Bail Organa political scenes that have intrigue but not much OOMPH I use: Adriano Celentano. I don't know why, but he helps.

And now... What do YOU use?

:D

P.S. Lock me if this has already been discussed to death.

2. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    For me, it used to be that I'd listen to strictly SW music, (my soundtracks) but now, I have realized, anything that pretty much carries a strong beat and tempo works for me.

~aeryn

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2002
    I can't listen to anything w/ lyrics - they make it so I can't concentrate. I prefer instrumental soundtracks or classical music.

4. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Usually I listen SW soundtracks, or LoTR soundtracks or even Alias Soundtrack ( [face_mischief] ) .

I can't listen songs with lyrics because I can't concentrate, listening them.

5. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Apocalyptica's Inquisition Symphony: Heavy metal songs and a few original compositions done by four cellos, and ONLY four cellos.

There's a little of everything in there, from beautiful and sensual to hard and heavy.

-Tim

6. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Have to have Linkin Park blaring as I write! :D

7. Bobbacca

Bobbacca Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2003
    For battles I tend to listen to hard rock music, especially Coheed & Cambria, Vox Humana, and The Mars Volta. Most other scenes though, I'll listen to anything while I'm writing.

Also, I have a "soundtrack" to my fics that lists a song to go with each chapter. The relation between the song and the chapter can be in the lyrics, the mood of the music, or even the title of the song. Usually though, I try to find a song that relates to the chapter in as many of those ways as possible.

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    When writing battles, I like beethoven piano sonatas or rachmaninoff concertos--anything with a tormented, tumultuous undertone. For most of my writing, I don't need music, but I often have hymns on the stereo while writing. Yesterday, i did a big duel scene while listening to the Pilgrim's Hymn.

9. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    I tend to identify certain songs that make me experience that I want my readers or characters to feel at a specifice point in the story and I catalogue those songs. Since I have a detailed outline I just add them to the comments section and when the time comes to write a part I pull up the songs that I noted.

Other songs tend to wind as a theme throughout my writing of a story which can take upwards of 6 months, and I keep those handy for the car rides to get the creative juices flowing.

I have found that My Immortal by Evanescance seems to strike a cord with the story I am writing currently, whereas Enrique Inglesia's Hero drove most of my first full length fic. Of course parts of the LOTR and SW soundtracks always work well for battle scenes, and some of the more woeful and romantic tracks of those albums are great for the reflective scenes. And for some reason Dido always raises my angst level.

10. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Well with kids, I'm often forced to write with the sound of Playstation games in the background. It's done worlds for my concentration abilities. :p But when I can listen to music, I tend to stick to classical works or the Star Wars sound tracks. Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Mahler, most often.

11. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I have certain songs I listen to when I write about different characters or pairings. I tend to put a playlist together of my mp3's before starting to work on a post, that way I can hear different songs and play with different characters.

For romance stuff, I have a different list, some songs that I relate to the characters and some that just give me that happy gooey feeling. I am a big fan of "I'll Be" "Because you loved me" and "Breathe" when writing romance scenes at the moment. Sometimes I just loop one or two songs over and over and over...

~Inyri

12. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Depends on what I want to write. ;)

13. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    A few selections from my library for battle scenes:

Arena battle theme from AOTC, any of the battle-related OT soundtrack selections, (especially ROTJ) and of course, "Duel of the Fates"
    "Disposable Heroes" and "Creeping Death" - Metallica
    "Die With Your Boots On" - Iron Maiden
    "M.B." and "Inquisition Symphony" - Apocalyptica
    "The Funeral" and "Iced Earth" -Iced Earth
    "Hordes of Locusts" - Joe Satriani
    "Symptom of the Universe" - Black Sabbath; Sepultura's cover works well too.
    "Fireball" and "Highway Star" -Deep Purple
    "Whole Lotta Love," "Achilles' Last Stand," and "Trampled Underfoot" - Led Zeppelin
    "The Sails of Charon" - Scorpions
    "Anthem" and "2112 Overture" - Rush

-Tim

14. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I listen to a lot of different music depending on what characters I happen to be writing at that moment in time. I can?t really listen to the songs without lyrics. I don?t know why, just doesn?t work for me. Plus as I write the stuff I?m usually singing along with the song? maybe it?s a subconscious thing that I have to be able to sing along with the song for it to give me a push to write. lol.

Romance:
    Just to See You Smile, It?s Your Love, or Let?s Make Love ? Tim McGraw for J/J. It just gets me in the state of mind that I need for their relationship. Tim and Faith?s relationship really gets me to think of J&J.
    I Lost It, Fall In Love, She?s Got It All, or You Had Me From Hello ? Kenny Chesney for H/L.
    Not a Day Goes By, or I?m Already There ? Lonestar for L/M. I?ve tried to listen to other songs while writing Luke and Mara and it just doesn?t work. So I always end up listening to these two songs.

Angsty:
    Here Without You ? 3 Doors Down
    Bloody Valentine (I?m not sure if that?s what it?s called) ? Good Charlette
    These two just make me so sad so it?s easier for me to write a sad piece.

Action
    Anything Eminem usually gets me into that mindset; I?m pissed at everything so I make some cool/bad things happen.

15. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I listen to whatever's on the radio or my stereo when I'm writing. And when I'm writing in class, it's usually silence or the sound of my friends talking.

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I used to listen to Backstreet Boys for my shorter stories. My only long one - I can't listen to anything otherwise I end up listening to the music and not writing...

17. ShortySC22

ShortySC22 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2002
    I always need my Trapt CD. It's got my angst and I like the hard rock feel.

For battle scenes, I steal my brother's Shadows of the Empire CD, since that gets me in the mood for Star Wars.

Anything punk rock gets me motivated to write, you should see me write a research paper with Mest, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, and Something Corporate roaring in the background 8-}

For those hard to write scenes, I listen to Nightwish and Lacuna Coil. Both have such distinct rock/metal sounds that I just feel in the mood to write.

18. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Currently, I'm hooked on Enya, but it doesn't fit for every scene (especially not for fights :p ).

19. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Lightsaber duels--currently, the soundtrack from Pirates of the Caribbean. I don't do mushy H/L scenes ;) but when it comes to Luke and Mara, which I do quite often, it's almost anything romantic. When writing anything about any of the Skywalker women (Padme, Leia, Mara, Jaina) I refer to all the classic girlpower stuff...almost any and all Destiny's Child, I Will Survive, some Shania Twain stuff, and some Christina Aguilera (Fighter, baby!) :-D

20. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    I tend to look for theme songs for scenes in particular. I dont necessarily listen to them while writing but it sometimes helps me picture a scene in my head before I write it down.

sg

21. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    John Lennon, Shania Twain, Elton John, Billy Joel and the Beatles. [face_love]

22. GuerreStellari

GuerreStellari Jedi Master star 2

Nov 23, 2003
    Well, wouldja look at that!? Tons of replies in just one day! :eek:

This thread could definitely become a soundtrack listing for all our stories. I think that would be wicked cool. Just mention the scene (or date of post) and the music which should be accompanied. It might open our eyes (ears, rather!)

Sigh, I wish people would reply to my story, JEDI EXODUS, as much as they reply to this. [face_devil]

23. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I can't listen to anything w/ lyrics - they make it so I can't concentrate. I prefer instrumental soundtracks or classical music.

I'm the exact same way!

When I write I listen to classical music. Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Chopin, Berlioz, or Strauss. My collection is limited at the time being. I especially like compositions that are set to stories like Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique.

Star Wars music works well also (My fav is the Battle of Hoth)! ;)

24. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Have to have Linkin Park blaring as I write!

ah indeed, I also listen to techno, trance, basically a whole assortment of electronic music also Korn, and Zeromancer (it's really cyber-punkish, and thats kinda how my stories are so it works).

Forcebewitya!

25. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Enya "A Day Without Rain"

Enya "Paint the Sky With Stars: Greatest Hits"

Jewel "Pieces of You"

Jessica Andrews "Heart-Shaped World" ("I Do Now" for Anakin and Padme)

any Weird Al Yankovic puts me in the mood to write humor, especially "The Saga Begins" and "Yoda"

George Strait "Pure Country" ("I Cross My Heart" for Anakin and Padme)

Vince Gill "Let's Make Sure We Kiss Goodbye"

When I'm writing non-Star Wars stuff, I often listen to 80s music because it takes me back to my adolescence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.