main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most Memorable Sporting Moment(s)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    I haven't been to many sporting events, although I have to say by far the most memorable one I was at was at Wrigley Field when Ozzy Ozbourne totally butchered singing Take Me Out To The Ballgame. :p

2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Somewhere back in the early 90s during a NY Rangers game a puck got deflected up into the seats and it landed in a guy's beer.

[face_laugh]

3. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That was soooo good. Pity he got out first ball the next day.

How about his hundred in the 1999 World Cup?

[image=www.basketballdraft.com/.../t1_waugh_ap.jpg]

Or the tied Semi-Final next game?

[image=http://warriordoc.com/images/Sports/world_cup_semi.jpg]

Kieren Perkins Winning Gold from Lane 8 in the 1500 at Atlanta

[image=http://www.olympics.com.au/files/97/kieren_perkins_1500mwin_1996_P.jpg]

More to Come

4. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    2004 NLCS: St.Louis vs Houston. My brother and I drove all the way to St.Louis with no tickets. We found a scalper and paid $300 for our tickets. St.Louis won and went to the World Series. It was by far the greatest sporting event I've been to live.

This years World Series is the greatest to date though. I had to watch it on tv but it was worth the wait to see my CARDS win it all.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Several, but head and shoulders above the rest would be Pat Terrell knocking down Steve Walsh's two-point conversion pass as time expired to seal Notre Dame's win over the Miami Hurricanes en route to the natinal championship. I was in the stands, a senior at Notre Dame. Two days after my 21st Birthday. The hang over wore off real fast.

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    1. Bobby Thomson's home run (nothing is close to this as the best moment ever).

2. Babe Ruth's "called shot" in '32 (was it or wasn?t it? Whatever, it has engendered controversy ever since).

3. Kirk Gibson's home run in '88.

4. Willie Mays' catch off Vic Wertz in the 8th inning of the first game of the '54 Series.

5. Fred Merkle failing to run to second and getting forced after Johnny Evers wrestled a ball from Iron Man Joe McGinnity and tagging the bag in 1908.

6. Grover Cleveland Alexander striking out Tony Lazzerri with the bases full in the seventh inning of the seventh game of the '26 Series.

7. Billy Martin's diving, stumbling catch of Jackie Robinson's popup with two out in the 7th inning of the 7th game of the '52 series with the bases loaded and the entire Yankee infield scratching their noses as Dodgers were scrambling around the bases.

8. Mickey Owen dropping Hugh Casey's third strike on Tommy Henrich with the Dodgers leading 4-3 with two out and nobody on in the 9th inning of the 4th game of the 1941 Series at Ebbets Field; the Yankees came back to score 4 runs and win the game 7-4.

9. Enos Slaughter scoring from first on a single to win the '46 Series.

10. Bill Wamsganss' unassisted triple play against Clarence Mitchell of the Dodgers in the 5th game of the 1920 World Series (later in the same game Elmer Smith hit the first Grand Slam home run in World Series history).

If I'm not limited to ten, two more that could have been included:

1. Bill Mazeroski's home run winning the 1960 World Series for the Pirates ("They broke all the records, but we won the Series," said center fielder Gino Cimoli). But to be truthful the biggest hit of that game was catcher Hal Smith's 3-run home run in the bottom of the 8th that gave Pittsburgh a 9-7 lead. Without that home run, the Yankees win.

2. Chicago Cubs center fielder Hack Wilson losing a fly ball in the sun as Philadelphia scored 10 runs in the seventh inning to overcome an 8-0 Cub lead in the '29 Series.

I have always felt that Carlton Fisk's 12th inning home run in the 6th game of the '75 Series was overrated as a great moment. The clutch hit in that game was Bernie Carbo's two-out pinch-hit 3 run home run in the bottom of the 8th to tie it up. Without Carbo the Reds win in 9. The Red Sox don't necessarily lose if Fisk doesn?t hit his. This is considered a "great moment" because it was on TV and because of the shot from the camera in the left field scoreboard that showed Fisk as he watched the ball sail over the fence.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfAT1cXh-J8

I remember pretty much all the plays in there? from Troy?s flip into the end zone against Georgia that earned an unsportsmanlike conduct call (you can see the ref reaching for the flag) to the Pinkins-Williamson 99yd pass against UVA, of which about 11 or 12 was the throw and the rest was Troy being 10 yards past the closest defender (this being one of my first games-2nd? as a student) to the Chris Tucker (?he?s got junk in his trunk? ? an announcer commenting on how fat he was since he was a DT) INT against UF that he somehow returned around 45 yards to the 5 yard line to Ko Simpson?s beautiful interception against Georgia last year when he came out of nowhere to pick it and took it all the way back along the edge of the field for a TD to put us up 16-0 before we would eventually lose 20-16 ( :() to the Arkansas fumble that Ko started to indicate that USC had gained possession before apparently realizing the ball was still loose and reaching down and picking it up, then returning it for a TD while everyone else tried to find the ball in the pile? Derek Watson?s 60 yd TD run against Clemson ?Andrew Pinnock battling and diving his way into the end zone, even though he?ll always be remembered for his fumbling against Georgia :(?Ryan Brewer?s TDs against OSU in the Outback Bowl 6 years ago now?Blake Mitchell?s 2 TD passes to Sidney Rice against UT last year, followed by Josh Brown?s 49 yd FG just barely making it over the crossbar to give us the lead and a few minutes later, the win (not shown here: holder Ike Crofoot jumping up and down knowing it was going in right after it left Brown?s foot, way before anyone else) and of course, Wide Left, Jad Dean?s missed FG this year against Clemson

All of those plays are pretty memorable for me.

8. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    "back to Foulke!...Red Sox Fans have longed to hear it: The Boston Red Sox are world Champions!"

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The ODI between Australia and South Africa that featured two of the most destructive batting performances ever seen.
    Ponting: 164 runs from 104 balls
    Gibbs: 175 from 111

Astle's 200 could probably compete but I didn't see that.

Last day of the recent Ashes test.

97, 98 AFL prelim and grand finals. Heart in my mouth the entire time both years.

Perkins in Atlanta was awesome as well.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    unlocking and upping.

I'll add UM-App State to the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.