main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Most Overhyped/Overrated Star Wars Character

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Clankers in pyjamas, Dec 4, 2019.

?

Most overrated star wars character.

1. Anakin

10.8%
  2. leia

8.1%
  3. obi wan

4.5%
  4. thrawn

28.8%
  5. dooku

1.8%
  6. darth sidious

0.9%
  7. general grievous

20.7%
  8. windu

9.9%
  9. yoda

3.6%
  10. luke

10.8%
  1. Anakin Generation

Anakin Generation Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2019
    It's not your fault. How you perceive other people is often hidden by your actual love for them, sometimes so you can continue to experience more of them in your life. You are a great Star Wars fan. Sometimes Han and Lea, like in Empire Strikes Back, would always scold C3P0, but he ended up being a major figure in leadership in the Rebellion and The Resistance, as well as R2D2.

2. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    While I still consider Obi-Wan the most overrated character, I think an honorable mention would have to go to Rey. I feel like the Force Dyad concept was created so they could explain why she was so good with little to no training right off the bat. "She got like that from being Force bonded to Kylo." It never felt like she earned anything she received. Being related to someone exceptionally strong in the Force doesn't automatically mean anything. Luke was the son of the Chosen One and he still had to train and get his behind handed to him many times before he became the Jedi he did.

CaptainEO, wobbits and Emperor Ferus like this.
  3. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Where is Han Solo in this poll? Hands down it would be him. Literally jerk with heart of gold, who's full arc was started and completed in ANH and then he stalled and revolved around romantic relationships. Ford is obviously charismatic but i dont think the character is that well written and interesting for Ford to pull him into legendary status.

Same problem with Leia. Taking off nostalgic glasses and Leia didnt even have a character arc. She only developed in terms of romantic relationships.

OT really had a pass from people when it came to characters. They are solid archetypes but it was really LUKE trilogy and only Luke (and Vader) had character development and growth through all three movies. Han and Leia had their time in ANH, and then they are somewhere there with their romantic plot line.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Anakin for me. The whole messiah aspects of the story overshadow his humanity at times. Plus I find it weird how so many descriptions of him sort of compartmentalize Vader/Anakin Skywalker as if they are split personalities.

Sarge and Emperor Ferus like this.
  5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I don’t disagree about Leia, but Han’s romantic relationship development in TESB affected his growth continuing into ROTJ. In the latter film, he showed he was willing to risk his life for the Rebellion even though he didnt plan on bringing his friends with him (yes, I know that they all volunteered). He went from not caring to a leadership role.
    Of course, from there, he regressed into the next trilogy.

That’s just my opinion of course.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  6. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Well they said Lucas felt Maul was ''underused'',

[​IMG]

--- Star Wars - Age Of The Republic - Darth Maul 001 (2017)

''Criminally'' part was my exaggeration, but they definitely didn't use him enough.

Corellia's Dream likes this.
  7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I'd say most of the OT cast in a way besides Luke and Lando.

Characters like Nien Nunb, Lord Jerjerrod and Admiral Ackbar get more respect for barely being in the films, while others complain that we needed more screen time for Count Dooku, Jango Fett, etc. To connect or understand them.

Han is pretty overrated. He is more of a jerk in ESB than ANH imo, and then he gets promoted after being comatose for six months. Even though people think him saying "he wont get in the way" between Luke and Leia when he assumes they have a romantic relationship is character development, he comes off as a bit petulant to me than accepting. And I never liked how "matter of fact" Leia is when she reveals her brother relationship with him. Its almost like she is like "Duh. Of course he is my brother. Oh right, I didnt tell ya." Especially since she just found out last night that Luke and Vader are related to her, and she is already completely accepted it.

8. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Leia - Beyond her cute romance with Han there's not much there. When her sassiness is absent she's kind of cringy too ("Hold me!")
    Jabba - Just kind of unpleasant to watch

SilentGuy66 and Erkan12 like this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Are you kidding me? You either have missed her significance to a whole generation of women or you are chosing to ignore it. Leia is one of the most important characters in the saga hands down.

10. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    For me, it's Kylo. There's a huge insistence that Kylo and Ben are two different people yet both get woobified every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

11. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I agree.

12. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Anakin is easily the most overrated or over-hyped character. In the OT, Vader was a brooding, imposing, intimidating figure. The personification of evil. Obi-Wan spoke of his alter-ego with reverence and respect, and of someone who was an honorable man. Combining the two, painted a picture of an almost larger than life character. Of someone who was looked upon with a level of nobility, and as a result couldn't stop his fall to the dark side. And in the prequels, we got whiny, impish, insolent Anakin. We got a character who had a 10 year boner for Padme, which goes beyond creepy and stalkerish, and ventures deep into the levels of psychotic. We got a greedy, petulant character who had a tantrum every time he didn't get his way and was wholly responsible for his own fall to the dark side. Yes, this is on Lucas for how he wrote Anakin, but the portrayal in the prequels undercuts the picture Lucas painted in the OT.

afterlight, Erkan12 and Sarge like this.
  13. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Yeah, I agree. Plus, she was always overshadowed by Han and Luke in OT. They tried to fix that problem a little in ST, though I say it still didn't work.

Leia was considered to be in Luke's role in one of the alternative scenarios for OT. She could easily be the Rey of OT.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  14. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    I would have said either Boba Fett or Maul but neither where present so I say Thrawn. Always find it hard to see how people say he is one of the most important EU characters when litterally all he does is lead a campaign against the New Republic than in the end completly fails and achieves nothing. Paelleon and Daala do so much more for the remnant.

15. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Darth Vader without Anakin Skywalker or the PT. An overglorifed cyborg Terminator-esque serial killer whos main purpose in comics/media is to kill Jedi/people and say cool lines for people who were upset that Vader's bodycount isn't higher in the films. A boring character that is more liked for his aesthetics. The PT, ROTJ, and the EU that focuses on how Vader's past effects his present is more interesting. Vader chopping someone's head off and saying some corny line like "Don't get ahead of yourself, Captain" doesn't impress me.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  16. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
  17. THE CHILD

THE CHILD Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 25, 2020
    Sith Lords, most overrated they are.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  18. ThePhilistineCritic

ThePhilistineCritic Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2020
    It’s probably Boba Fett, although, of the characters listed, I’d have to go with Mace Windu.

wobbits and Emperor Ferus like this.
  19. Kelvan Adamante

Kelvan Adamante Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2020
    Yoda.
    While Yoda is a sage of his time, Yoda's vision was greatly clouded not only by the dark side, but most importantly his hubris and a conservative stance regarding to the Republic, the Jedi & the Force. Both in universe and in reality, Yoda's wisdom is sometimes overly boasted and revered, and his fellow comrades and adherents seldom doubt that.

Sarge likes this.
  20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    BB-8. And Tarkin. Not so much for the character's place in ANH, but for setting the aristocratic evil Imperial template.

21. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    They've had less time to get overrated, but I think Captain Phasma is the winner from the pack. To me at least she stepped into the Boba Fett role of looking cool but not getting enough action. She was kind of a dodgy villain too, trusting the defenses of Starkiller Base enough to drop the shields rather than go down for the cause. I suppose we can assume Finn saw through her in this regard, and knew she would cave.

I don't think she wins the jackpot though because she never attained the crazy fan excitement Boba Fett did. Boba Fett was cool, and he mattered, but his fan following outstripped his actual importance by many miles. So proportionately I think he has been the most overrated character over time.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  22. quanchi112

quanchi112 Jedi Knight

Jun 4, 2014
    Darth Vader. In terms of formidability once he gets in the suit he is not really impressive and loses all his potential while diminishing his mobility.

23. Dislike Anakin but love the Darth Vader persona

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2021
  24. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Just use CAPITALS for names (Dooku not dooku, Yoda not yoda etc.) and get them right, then I might even be interested in such surveys.:rolleyes:

25. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Of those on the list I chose Thrawn for reasons Anedon brought up above.
    More generally I would choose Han Solo hands down. I never really got the appeal of his character.