main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Most painful sports losses.

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediVision, Apr 22, 2020.

1. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    What are your personal most painful sports losses?

My #1 is the Philadelphia Eagles' loss to the Arizona Cardinals in the 2008 NFC Championship Game. Even at the time it was awful, but in retrospect it's even worse because it turned out to be the last chance for the McNabb-Westbrook-Dawkins core to win a Super Bowl. It's pretty pathetic that a team that got to 5 Conference Championship Games in 10 years couldn't even win one Super Bowl)

#2 is the San Antonio Spurs loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2008 Western Conference Finals. They had a 25-point lead in the 3rd quarter in Los Angeles in game 1, but they blew it, mostly because Kobe Bryant did Kobe Bryant things. It was impossible for them to recover from the psychological blow of that blown lead and they promptly lost the series in 5. The Spurs famously never managed to repeat even once during their mini-dynasty, and this was definitely their best shot.
    Plus, the Spurs-Celtics Finals would have been awesome. Duncan vs. Garnett and Parker vs. Rondo.

Honorable Mention:
    2018 Los Angeles Rams loss to New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII
    2001 Philadelphia Eagles loss to St. Louis Rams in NFC Championship Game
    2002 Philadelphia Eagles loss to Tampa Bay in NFC Championship Game
    2003 Philadelphia Eagles loss to Carolina Panthers in NFC Championship Game
    2004 Philadelphia Eagles loss to New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX (see what I mean about that 2008 being the last chance?)
    2004 San Antonio Spurs Western Conference Semi-Finals loss vs. Lakers
    2006 San Antonio Spurs Western Conference Semi-Finals loss vs. Mavericks

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Point Given likes this.
  2. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Super Bowl 50. Please don’t make me talk about it.

NCAA men’s basketball championship 2016. Goddamn ****ing Kris ****ing Jenkins at the ****ing buzzer at ****ing midnight.

Duke-UNC , February 8, 2012. This post is brought to you by anakinfan’s monthly declaration “I hate Austin Rivers.”

Honorable mention: Braves-Cardinals, October 9, 2019. Does it count if your team forgets how to play ball?

Rew and Runjedirun like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    1998 Big 12 Championship Game: Kansas State had a 15 point lead in the 4th quarter, and would have not only won its first Big 12 title, but played against Tennessee for the BCS national championship.

Instead, they blow it and lose in double overtime, sinking all the way to the Alamo Bowl.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    yankees, 2001-04. all of it except booney

vin likes this.
  6. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    2009 NFC championship game Vikings vs Saints. Our worst enemy had turned his cloak to finally win us a super bowl. From the Favre to Lewis hail mary on it really felt like it was the year of destiny, we blew Dallas out, then despite Adrain Petersons fumbleitis had outplayed the Saints all game and the Silver Fox was marching us down the field to send us to Florida.

Then everything goes to hell, 12 men in the huddle, ball across the body, mnjedi scarred for life.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Top two in some order are game seven of the World Series in extra innings, but I'm going to summarize it with

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    No doubt the worst is blowing a 3-0 series lead on the Red Sox in 2004.

go to hell @robert martins

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    2017 Dodgers World Series Game 7

One of the greatest days in LA sports history leading up to game time. Game 7 at Dodger Stadium. And yet the game was over by the 2nd inning. Sign stealing scandal aside, that feeling was just ugly at the time. Everybody knows your team isn't guaranteed to win, but when there wasn't even a game played and it was over that early on, it was just not even worth mentioning the next day.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The 76ers losing with 0:0 on the clock in game 7 to a Leonard shot that bounced off the rim so many times that he actually sat down while waiting for it to go in.

**** that game. And this thread for making me think about it.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    After all these years, I think the worst one for me remains the 1997 Rose Bowl. If they hadn't come back to win Games 6 and 7, the losses in New York for the Diamondbacks would have come close to that one. Of course, they did come back to win, so.

1993 NBA Finals-- Game 6
    1995 Western Conference Semifinals-- Game 7
    2006 WCF-- Game 6
    2007 WCS-- Game 6 (after playing without two starters in Game 5)
    2010 WCF-- Game 6

1999 NLDS-- Game 5 (Steve Finley just missed catching Todd Pratt's home run, and that was a great Diamondbacks team)
    2011 NLDS-- Game 5 (The Diamondbacks were a better team than the Brewers, and Ryan Braun was on steroids)

Super Bowl 43-- the Cardinals almost won it all.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Joe Gibbs last game as Washington's football coach the second go around. It was just an ugly loss to the Seahawks, with a team still mourning Sean Taylor's death weeks earlier, just the sense that this was it for Gibbs, just made it feel like a crushing blow, and of course the post game dealing with peak!Richard Sherman's trash talking didn't help matters either (I legit hated Sherman for years following that game)

13. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    1992 NLCS Game 7
    And thus started 20 years of losing.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I was at that game 5! :p

The offensive ineptitude of the Dodgers (at least 3-innings of 2-runners on with 1 or 0 outs), the sign-stealing revelations that would come later, adds to the searing disappointment (I also get incredibly forlorned when I think of all the conversations I had at work/calls & texts to family & friends during the day, in the lead up to the game... slept about 90-minutes or so after my shift).

Game eventually goes to OT, in which the Suns win, and I just knew the Lakers would be toast for game 7 in Phoenix. Up 3-1 in the series after that Bryant buzzer-beater in game 4; a season in which he should have won the MVP & would have been the first ever Clippers-Lakers playoff series had things gone the Lakers way in that game 6, but alas, no.

15. Darth_Diealot

Darth_Diealot Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2020
    Champions League Final 1999: Bayern München losing 2:1 to ManU in the last minute.
    Champions League Final 2012 in Munich: Bayern losing to Chelsea after penalties. I was in the stadium. Even today Chelsea don't know how they won this match, they were so outclassed.

A thread about most remarkable wins would be nicer!:D

16. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    If we're just talking the most painful loss in terms of score I'd say the 1916 college football game between Georgia Tech and Cumberland College would take the cake. Georgia Tech won 222-0.

PCCViking and Luke02 like this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Game 5 of the 1995 ALDS @tom
    Games 4-7 of the 2004 ALCS @Chromide and @robert martins
    Game 7 of the 2001 WS (don't remember who's the resident Arizona fan).

Chromide likes this.
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The Chiefs Kicker Who Shall Not Be Named (seriously, Chiefs fans don't utter his name anymore) misses three chip shot field goals in the AFC playoffs in the 90s. Just one made kick would have put us through to I believe the AFC Championship game. ARGGGGG.

Didn't realize you were a K-State fan! Cool. I root for them in the Big 12 now that Mizzou is SEC.

Speaking of, one of the worst for me is Mizzou blowing the Big 12 Championship game when they were ranked #1 in the country. Would have gone to the National Championship, but noooo. Had to suck it up. That was what, 2008? Ugh. And I had been at their awesome victory over KU at Arrowhead a few weeks before.

PCCViking and heels1785 like this.
  19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It always throws me for a loop when you highlight this painful moment for you, because my Cleveland Complex simply cannot allow me to fathom being on the other end of sports heartbreak. Despite not following college football, I'm still a little bitter over the final vote that season and the lack of a national championship for Ohio State. Though, it's nothing compared to you

LloydChristmas likes this.
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    one of the best examples of why saving 800k of cap room or whatever by cutting a reliable (in our case, great) kicker to go sign a guy off of the street is a bad decision

Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  21. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Yep. I'm also a Gators fan, but I grew up in Manhattan.

I did enjoy the beat down K-State put on OU in the 2003 Big 12 Championship Game. :D

solojones likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Just so we're clear, that whole last weekend was pandemonium. Three undefeated teams -- UCLA with a shorter season, KState with a view of being "less than," and a Tennessee team that was a clear favorite -- along with very strong one-loss teams (tOSU/FSU/Arizona) and an undefeated Tulane team... so it really had a view of anything can happen.

And all three of those top teams almost lost. KState and UCLA did lose, and TN was down in the 4th quarter and came back. That was one of the most exciting days of college football I can recall, without any skin in the game...

solojones and LloydChristmas like this.
  23. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    2001 was similar in chaos, although that chaos took place over the last couple of weeks.

Nebraska got whipped by Colorado.
    Florida lost to Tennessee (that game had been delayed because of 9/11).
    Then Tennessee lost to LSU in the SECCG.
    Texas lost to Colorado.
    That allowed Nebraska to get back into the National Championship game...to be dominated by Miami.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Maybe this incident is why I have such respect for kickers and always have. A good one is not something to be taken for granted.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  25. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Didn't that monster Miami team go back to the title game next year too?

DarthIntegral likes this.