main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Most successful new canon character

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dimitar, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Dimitar

Dimitar Jedi Padawan

Jan 22, 2017
    Which character(s) from the new canon expanded media (anyone not originating in a movie) will have a lasting impact on fans and has the possibility of becoming a "household name" the way Revan and Thrawn are remembered from the old expanded universe many years after their debut?

For me, currently this is Doctor Aphra, having in mind her transition from a supporting character in Darth Vader to a lead character in her own series and also appearing in a short story and even a video game (and I personally love the character!)

So what are your thoughts? And even if a character has not reached such popularity/success yet, who would you like to have their role in Star Wars media expanded?

AusStig likes this.
  2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Ezra and Kanan.

3. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Are we counting Rebels or not?

If not, I would say Rae Sloane or Aphra.

Xander Vos and revan772 like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We got Rae Sloane and Aphra so far.

DarthJaceus and revan772 like this.
  5. Dimitar

Dimitar Jedi Padawan

Jan 22, 2017
    I really hope we see Sloane in another publication. I was disappointed she was not present in Battlefront II or the Phasma novel.

As for Rebels characters, I do believe that Hera, not Kanan or Ezra has the best chances of appearing in the future as a Rebel (possibly New Republic) general.

Taylore and spicer like this.
  6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Vanessa Marshall for Episode 9!!!!! Someone set up a petition!

7. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I think Aphra is great. I wish Han's wife got more love, I want to see more of her.

I also think the Aftermath people (especially Temmin) need more eu time.

I would say Aphra, Temmin Wexley, and Rae Sloane are top three though.

UnshavenWookie14 likes this.
  8. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Mr bones for me love the fun and carnage he brings and Rae Sloane as we have seen her go up the ranks and i wonder where her story ends? oh and a few others. been quite a few good characters in the new canon bit hard to pick ! and i wonder if we have even seen or met the most successful yet they may be just a book or comic away ?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I feel like most people are saying Aphra and Sloane because those are essentially the only new EU characters who actually have had any kind of staying power beyond their original appearance.

Aphra could, admittedly, pull it off due to the current status comics enjoy and because she's pretty much tailor-made to fit the "Harley Quinn-esque quippy wacky anti-heroine" trope that's so popular right now. But I have a hard time imagining that in ten years casual fans will put Sloane up there with Thrawn and Revan.

10. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Depending on if Claudia Gray writes a sequel once the timeline between ROTJ and TFA... I would say Thane and Ciena have potential to be massive. They easily are the best character relationship in the new canon. I haven't seen them used anywhere else yet, but that might be out of respect for Lost Stars. Not wanting to lock Claudia into anything by having her characters making appearances that she has to account for all over the place. No sure thing of a sequel obviously. But its not like these were 'average' pilots. And they were only 25 (maybe 26?) when the novel ended. So there is ample opportunity for them to have some large stories in that time period between ROTJ and TFA.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  11. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Snap (Temmin) comes back in the Poe comics as ‘Black 2’. Pretty sure. He makes a several appearances in TFA even though they don’t call him by name here is his comic version, and the guy who plays him in the ST

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

revan772 likes this.
  12. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Aphra, Evaan and Terex are all in Force Arena.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

13. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Definitely Sloane.

14. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    Aphra is the most successful.
    I'd enjoy reading about Aphra forever.
    I'd also hope that Sinjir gets more stories. He was too interesting to never see again.

Daneira and revan772 like this.
  15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Aphra definitely has the largest fan base and is the most widely known new canon character outside of the movies. It really wouldn't surprise me at all if in twenty years she is viewed with the same fanfare that Mara Jade currently is.

16. Kanan,Ezra and Aphra

17. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    I'd say Aphra, which is awesome for representation too. The old EU did great "women who kick ass" but not so great with "WOC who kick ass" which has been a HUGE difference in the new Disney.

TheRedBlade and Endor_boy like this.
  18. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
  19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    If Aphra doesn't have a movie in the next ten years I'll be genuinely surprised.

Aphra.

20. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Young Aphra Chronicles
    Aphra and the Sith Temple of Doom
    Aphra and the Raiders of the Lost Holocron
    Aphra and the Pius Dea Crusade
    Aphra and the Kingdom of the Kyber Crystal

21. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Aphra, Kanan and Hera.

22. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Hera, Kanan, Bendu, Sabine, Chopper, Aphra, Sloane (I'm really surprised we didn't see her in Rebels yet considering her history with Kanan), Thane, Ciena and Evaan. That's all I can think about so far.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    bizzbizz, DarthJaceus and JediFett10 like this.
  23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Probably one of the big reasons we didn't see Sloane in Rebels is the fact that it takes a year or more to go from writing out the scripts to getting the animation all wrapped up. And by the time it was clear she was becoming an increasingly popular character that people would have liked to see in a show like Rebels they probably already had the majority of the series mapped out.

24. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I just realized nobody has said Thrawn yet. I would say he is up there.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    As protagonists, Kanan, Ezra and Hera, I would imagine. As antagonists, the Inquisitors and Rae Sloane. In the middle, Aphra, quite possibly the biggest name on the list until now. I imagine Thrawn is being counted as Legends...