main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Most thrilling sports victories.

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediVision, May 2, 2020.

1. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    Okay, some of you asked for it, so here it is:

What are the most thrilling sports victories you have personally experienced?

My #1 is the San Antonio Spurs 2014 NBA Championship. That saved me from a veritable lifetime of agonizing over Game 6 from the previous year.

#2 When the San Antonio Spurs defeated the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2003 Western Conference Semifinals. Both stopped the hated Lakers' chances of a historic fourpeat and avenged the humiliating losses in the 2001 & 2002 Western Conference Playoffs.

Unfortunately, I don't have a defining thrilling victory in the NFL--all of my memories of the Eagles deep playoff runs in the McNabb era are tainted by them ultimately coming up short that year; by the time the Eagles finally won the Super Bowl, I had switched to the Los Angeles Rams. I finally almost got to experience a Super Bowl the next year, but it was not to be. I'm still mad that the Chiefs lost the preceding AFC Championship Game; that Rams-Chiefs Super Bowl would have been a classic, probably. But, here's a list of the best wins so far

2001 Philadelphia Eagles Divisional Round upset at Bears--This was a bigger upset than people remember, and it closed down old Soldier Field, at that.

2003 Philadelphia Eagles divisional round win over Green Bay. Brett Favre was by far my most hated NFL player for almost his entire career. The Packers jumped out to a shocking 14-0 lead and it looked like my Eagles were going to be humiliated by my most hated player, but, true to form, he found a wide open Brian Dawkins in overtime to help us to victory.

2008 Philadelphia Eagles Divisional Round win at Giants--The Giants were the defending champions and were the best team in the NFC all season. There is a slight footnote to this one in that Plaxico Burress had shot himself in the leg late in the regular season and so didn't play in this game.

2012 Miracle at the New Meadowlands Eagles over Giants-- This was the last great victory of the Andy Reid era. Once he was gone, it was hard for me to even to make myself care as much as I used to.

2018 Los Angeles Rams upset Saints in NFC Championship--This one will always be slightly tainted by the cat-that-swallowed-the-canary quality of it, with the blatantly missed pass interference call at the end of the fourth quarter. Still, just three years after returning to Los Angeles, the Rams were headed to the Super Bowl! I will always be bummed that the Chiefs lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship, probably robbing us of a classic Super Bowl in replacement of the dud we got.

In terms sheer immediate visceral thrill, the Kings win over the Lakers in Game 5 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals after Bibby's (in Sacramento) iconic shot is #1 over everything. It is and always will be I suspect the loudest thing I have ever experienced.

And finally, two that didn't involve "my" team:

The first is unbelievably petty, but I was ecstatic when the Sixers beat the Lakers in Game 1 of the 2001 NBA Finals to end their chance at a 15-0 postseason, because the Lakers had humiliated the Spurs in the preceding WCF. Absolutely humiliated them.

Finally, I went absolutely crazy when the Cavaliers beat the Warriors in Game 7 of the 2016 Finals. LeBron's career historically would have always had a frustrating quality to it if he didn't win at least one championship with the Cavaliers. Once this happened, no matter what happened the rest of his way, the "narrative" of his career would be unequivocally positive, as it ought to be.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    There are several starting with the 84' Bears stunning Washington (I was just turning seven so I was at that point really starting to understand sports and could sit thru an entire game) and obviously some of the Bulls greatest moments with his Royal Airness along with some of the thrilling victories of the Blackhawks this past decade (and a few of their more memorable games growing up) but honestly nothing will ever compare with the Cubs winning the World series. I mean my great aunt turned a 100 that December and she literally had to wait almost 100 years to see it happen! It truly was once in a lifetime moment that can never be duplicated. It was also the last moment in time where the planet seemed sorta normal for obvious reasons. :)

3. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    1994 NHL Eastern Conference Finals Game 7. Suck it @imperial_dork

Point Given likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was a basketball fan in the 80's. My teams were Boston and Detroit. So I had no dog in this race, but watched this awesome moment live:

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    From the "didn't involve my team" category, this is what comes first to mind

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    KnightWriter likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1982 NCAA men’s basketball championship. Helllooo, Michael Jordan. Dean is mean in New Orleans.

2017 NCAA men’s basketball championship. Redemption in the desert.

Appalachian State versus Michigan, September 1, 2007. (Sorry @CT-867-5309 ).

LloydChristmas likes this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It was an exciting game all the way down to the end. Michigan almost made it out, Mike Hart was unstoppable in a heroic comeback, I was feeling pretty good after taking the lead, just couldn't hold it. It was your day. Armanti Edwards was just too damn good. Edwards and...Jackson? Too damn fast, the both of them.

Btw, that was like the very first game on the Big Ten Network. I remember because I had it and thought it was going to be the coolest thing, it was basically the Michigan Channel. I was super pumped for it. Not the most auspicious start for the network.

Posting these Mike Hart for Heisman videos because I remember having these on repeat before the season.

Mike Hart 4 ever [face_love]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Braves vs Reds, 2010. Brooks Conrad grand slam. 2018 Clutch Dansby

Both 10-9 walk off victories

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    For pure drama, it was hard to beat this

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i've had a lot of sports ups and downs, but it's hard to imagine anything will ever top this.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm not sure "thrilling" is the right word to describe game 7 of the 2016 World Series...it was the strangest game I think I've ever experienced though it ultimately ended up being the best thing ever to happen for me in sports. But watching the game was just a weird mix of nervous excitement, then complete heartbreak and dread, followed by unbelievable anxiety all the way up to Bryant slipping as he threw the ball to Rizzo for the final out. I guess it had to be that way for the Cubs to finally win it all and the whole experience, including the season, playoff run, and celebration, was exciting and thrilling in a way that will almost certainly never be topped for me.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Super Bowl XLII for sure. To finally see one of my teams win a championship was just amazing. But to win it like that was just incredible.

Juliet316 and LloydChristmas like this.
  13. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001

Fell off my couch when this happened.

Eight days later. Did not fall off my couch for this one, mostly because I was so exhausted by the time it was over.

Amazing.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Game 1 of the 2015 World Series. Alex Gordon ties it in the bottom of the 9th with a monster HR to center.

It went into extra extra innings, and became the second longest game in WS history. The Royals won...

... and I was there.

15. Darth_Diealot

Darth_Diealot Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2020

This one! Especially after the lost final in the year before against Chelsea

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

[​IMG]