main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Most "unbelievable" EU stories

Discussion in 'Literature' started by President Bossk, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    He was for Seasons 1-5, where we saw Ahsoka's fate was to leave the order instead of dying before Episode III.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yes but George had more plans for Clone Wars and Siege of Mandalors was in early development during George's time at least conceptually.

Clone Wars only ended in Season 5 since George sold.

WE KNOW George had more season

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2021
  3. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    But George's plan wasn't to have Ahsoka leave the order, but to die, Filoni's idea got approved because George probably went "eh, that's good enough" he wasn't too hands-on regarding TCW's characterization, especially considering he didin't even create Quinlan, why would he care if they got some miniscule stuff about the way he acts wrong?

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

No my point is George doesn't care and probably told them to make him a surfer dude...because George wouldn't care about the characterization in the comics....to George Quinlan Vos in TCW is the TRUE Quinlan Vos and not the comic version.

Also I'm not entirely convinced that had they continued Ashoka was gonna live in Past TCW unless George had left, so you I'm not convinced

5. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    But that is based on the huge assumption that it was George's idea to characterize him like that, when it wasn't him who wrote him, not everything in TCW is the way it is because "George told them" you are downplaying the creative team behind the show a lot.

And he was stated to like the Quinlan from the comics and said that they should make his ending consistent with his own plans for him in Underworld, as far as he is concerned they are the same character, if they weren't, he wouldn't have needed for them to keep him alive like that.

It's not like the two characterizations are impossible to fit with one another, either, like i said George wouldn't care about such miniscule stuff.

There's a huge difference between George approving and overseeing something to him writing or creating something a certain way.

Also, doing a little more research, it wasn't even George's idea to include Quinlan Vos in the series, it was Henry Gilroy.

wmu'14 likes this.
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Maybe but ever since George left we haven't really had any major mischaracterization on that level since then.

When Rebels introduced Thrawn in Rebels...It was pretty much Thrawn.

Closet you could maybe argue is Rulkh but Rulkh is well....not that deep a character to begin with and was still Thrawn's assin.

So either way post TCW the oversight of brining in things has been way more conservative.

7. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    That's because Thrawn is the only example, everyone else they brought back in Rebels is either a film character or a TCW character, and even then they did him faithfully because this time they actually got Timothy Zahn to help them to get him right, not because "everyone knows what they were doing except George" which is a false narrative to cast blame on someone else and make Lucas seem like he hated the EU or something, despite proof of him liking and incorporating EU characters to his work, and they still left something to be desired with Thrawn, comparing the Thrawn from Rebels to the one from the books is night and day.

And if you go with Canon Thrawn compared to the original you have more differences.

They also got the whole Empire wrong, they are just a bunch of incompetent cartoon villains in that show to be honest, but that's a narrative thing.

wmu'14 likes this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well you and I don't agree about Rebels on that regard then.

But George didn't care about the EU...he may not have hated it...But he was wiling to overwrite it.

9. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    If he didin't care then why did he bother having it connect with his work? Why did he "enjoy the comic books" and incorporate EU characters to his story like Aayla Secura? Why did he reject Luke Skywalker dying on Vector Prime? Why did he prohibit stories about young Yoda? Why did he personally oversee the Revenge of the Sith novelization? Why did he have to approve every important decision? Why did Tom Veitch have to ask George about the Sith and their nature when making Tales of the Jedi?

Being willing to overwrite it when necessary isn't "not caring", because he has priority in the creative department, but he did care about the EU being cohesive, otherwise he wouldn't put on guidelines as to what could or could not be done, and if he appreciated characters from the EU like Vos and Secura, he was clearly not apathetic towards it.

I'm not saying the EU was "George's vision" or something, just that he did care about it being a thing.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah...Not convinced.

Simple answer...George gonna George.

11. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Well, i'll just say:

“Lucas approves every important addition to the canon.”- Leland Chee, 2008.

Doesn't look like someone who "doesn't care" about it.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Still not convinced sadly.

13. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Well, it was an important brand that his company owned. Something like killing off Luke Skywalker would affect Star Wars as an IP. He had a passing interest in some aspects of the EU (especially more visual mediums), but what he said the story was, the story was.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  14. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Not arguing against that idea, it's obvious, just saying that it's not like he "didin't care" about it (i don't see how it was a rebuttal for everything i said about Quinlan's case, anyway, especially given that Quinlan is one of the cases where he especially cared about what the EU did with the character).

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Except he didn't though.

His Quinlan was from the TCW side of things not the 2003-2005 multimedia project stuff.

From what i heard Dark Horse got annoyed with George as to what to do with Quinlan Vos and thus once George cut out his scene then they were allowed to keep going with the Dark Horse stuff.

Till TCW came along and overroad stuff.

16. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    He liked Quinlan's design, and didn't want him killed off. Anyone who was a fan of him would tell you that there wasn't any huge concern with maintaining a consistent characterisation. I have no doubt that had the EU writers somehow overrode George and killed him off anyway, George would have ignored it.

He would use names, designs and broad story ideas from the EU, and approve/deny requests, but he certainly never felt any obligation to treat those stories as part of the overall canon. He "cared" about the EU in a professional sense, not a personal one.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I actually heard George made a scene for his death in Revenge of the Sith for the Order 66 montage, and the writers had to wait whether or not it would be in the movie or not.

18. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    They are the same character, George didin't see them as different.

No, the dark horse comic was based on what was shown in the deleted scene, originally Quinlan was supposed to die in Republic 81-83 (i assume during the confrontation in the woods with the Clone General), but George decided to "save" the character for later in the Underworld series.

Exactly my point, the characterization thing was miniscule for George, as far as he's concerned TCW Quinlan is just the same guy from the comics, if he didin't want him killed off in the EU, then it's proof that he considers it the same character as "his" Vos.

No proof of that, and even if that happened he still told them about not killing him, if he didin't care about what was done in the EU he wouldn't tell them that, basing your argument of "George didin't care about what was in the EU" in that is a bit contradictory, besides, they need George's approval for that, if he told them to not do that and they did it anyway, they would get fired, just saying.

wmu'14 likes this.
  19. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    I know. It's a hypothetical.

My point being that George used his authority when he had plans for certain concepts, but it never went the other way. TCW's Mandalorians are a perfect example - there were previous stories, George ignored them. He certainly didn't care about the Republic Commando novels. Nor did he care about the individual novels that Luke was in, but he still didn't want him killed off.

He would take designs and use them in his own stories - the ones that "counted". I don't know why he cared if the EU version lived or died when he routinely ignored literally everything else, but it was most likely a business decision to him.

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Look as far as i'm concerned i think you being a little too generous to George and his relationship to the EU, did he use stuff from it sure...but at the end of the day ....George was gonna George EU be darned.

It's why TCW is as far as i'm concerned the true reboot of Star Wars continuity.

Even though yes Legends book continued and what not and tried their best to work in TCW stuff but at that point the Reboot had begun and it probably would have just gotten more messy as time went on.

and if George wanted to do a Episode 7-9...well that was game over for the EU then.

Yeah but everyone else did.

And George never considered the EU his.

Only Episode 1-6 and the TCW and Underworld show that never happened.

So in a way...yeah...They are two sperate characters.

21. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    @Jid123Sheeve I'm not saying George adhered to the EU, it's clear that there's a difference between Lucasfilm's canon at the time and George's personal ideas and canon, all i'm saying is that, like you are saying, he used ideas from it, he liked some characters, enought to put them into his movies, even characters that originated from an extra (Quinlan Vos) and made sure that the EU didin't contradict his own work (like in the case of Quinlan's death) or did things that were against his wishes for the IP (some decisions like the Yoda backstory thing, killing off X character, etc.) there's a big difference between George considering the EU "his Canon" and him caring about it as an extension of Star Wars, i am not arguing for the former, i'm arguing for the latter, and i feel like he managed the EU more than people give him credit for, because people are like allergic to George having anything to do with it, like if saying such a thing implies he considered it his "Sequels" or something like that. No, no one is saying that.

22. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Basically, George "cared" about the EU if by care you mean he acknowledged that it existed. He had little to no direct input aside from the occasional rubber stamp.

It really isn't clear what you are trying to say about his actual involvement.

23. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    And made sure it didin't do anything against what he wanted, like i said, he had to approve every story and important decision for it, if he didin't care, he would let them do whatever.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

He managed it when he was into it sure...But I still think you are being a bit generous even with that.

Sure but I think that's still being a bit generous to George.

25. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    My reading of that Leland Chee quote is quite different to yours then. To me, "important" means:

- "Hey George, we have a nine book series coming up."
    GL: "Ok, what happens by the end?"
    - "Han and Leia's son becomes evil and is killed, Luke's wife is killed, his son and Han and Leia's daughter are set up as the future main characters."
    GL: "Ok, sounds good."

And that's the extent of it.