main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Most underrated games of all time?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Deliveranze, Dec 20, 2015.

1. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

Anyone remember this game? I used to spend hours playing on it as a kid! Oh the nostalgia. I remember flying my flash speeder and crashing through countless battle droids just to see them all explode. Oh it was so fun! :D Would like to see another Naboo starfighter game like it in the future. Another Rogue Squadron game would be nice too

2. zico291

zico291 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2016
    Mirror's Edge

I can't understand why people hate this game so much.

Life likes this.
  3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Epic Mickey

It has its fair share of flaws but also has some good creative locations and locals. The 2D platformer sections were the best part and the paint and thinner idea was interesting.

Life likes this.
  4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    They do?

5. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I remember it was lauded by many critics at the time, while others were more tempered. But what I distinctly remember is that regular gamers usually either found it boring or a pretentious experiment that fails as a game. As with The Wind Waker, the praises of those who were willing to give it a chance and loved its originality have gradually taken the place of the naysayers and become the new norm, creating a sort of revisionist history that those of us who remember the popular discourse of the time don't recognise.

But of course, I'm glad that more people have come to appreciate both of these games.

6. Mace Windu is GOAT

Mace Windu is GOAT Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    NBA 2K14 because it has the Base Mod, which adds a ton of cool classic teams. The other 2K games don't have that feature.

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Brink.

Yeah, it's not a masterpiece. But it wasn't as bad as critics suggested.

8. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    L.A. Noire. That game is one of the most underrated games in the pass decade. It was a ground breaking game on the technology aspects and really had a great storyline while staying true to the genre, not to mention the main story was also connected to other noire stories. I do hope they make a sequel to it sometime in the near future.

9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Sonic Unleashed (HD Version)

This game is often lumped in with games like Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog as a sign of the series' declining quality, it's actually a massive step in the right direction. The daytime Sonic stages are fast paced, and thrilling, and are probably the first time a 3D Sonic game has really felt like it nailed the speed aspects. The Nighttime Werehog stages at first appear to be tedious, but they do have some nice platforming segments, and the combat has a nice rhythm to it, in a satisfyingly repetitive sort of way. In the end, the Werehog is a nice way to have a slower paced platformer style of game alongside the speedier day stages.

The choice to make the game a globetrotting adventure was genius, as it the makes the stages feel much more unique than previous Sonic games (Except maybe Empire City Day). No game before or since has had the same focus on diverse environments. The Final Boss is a bit fiddly at first, and can take many attempts. The focus on quicktime events in the bosses may be slightly off-putting to some people, but I don't mind it that much.

The story is much simplified when compared to the Adventure games, and the tone is much lighter than the previous few instalments which is such a breath of fresh air compared to Sonic 06's deadpan seriousness. The characters all have interesting personalities, and the final villain is suitably unnerving. The cinematography in the CG cutscenes is excellent too. The story does veer slightly darker towards the end, but it makes a nice contrast to the preceding parts of the game and helps to ramp up the stakes.

The music of the game is phenomenal, from it's orchestral main theme, to the opening, to the exciting Day themes, and slower contemplative Night themes. The vocal tracks are both good, though Dear My Friend feels a little melodramatic. But Endless Possibilities captures the spirit of the game and story perfectly.

Overall, I found Unleashed to possibly be my favourite Sonic the Hedgehog game, just beating out Sonic Adventure DX.

Note: The Wii version of Unleashed is vastly inferior in my opinion, losing several levels, simplifying the hubs, and having more Werehog, except for the final boss, which is slightly better.

Life likes this.
  10. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree with everything you wrote. People seem intent on hating Sonic games. They just can't win. I think Sonic Heroes was good too.

darskpine10 likes this.
  11. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    one of the best games I ever played is probably forgotten completely now. Godfather: Black Hand on the Wii was phenomenal. the wii controls were perfect for throwing people around, strangling etc. great gang system, racketeering, mafia wars, just a phenomenal game. I miss it.