main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Most Underrated Star Wars Character

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016

[face_laugh] As a member of the Bor Gullet Fan Club, I can only say that I am surprised that no one said this sooner.

Mara Jade is seriously underrated. It burns me that she's not even canon. A crime, is what it is.

Mostly Handless and Dark Ferus like this.
  2. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Lando Calrissian is definitely underrated, Solo gets all the glory. Lando was the Leader of Bespin, helped almost all the main characters escape, owned the Falcon first, destroyed the second death star, only character not caught by Jabba, was the smoothest man in StarWars and could out scoundrel Han.

VergeresTears likes this.
  3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    If y'all want to talk about underrated, what about Jocasta Nu? You'd think that the most badass librarian ever would get more credit.

4. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Not only that, she's named for the Greek story of Oedipus. Because brother/sister incest wasn't enough, I guess?

5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    That's actually a good call on Jocasta Nu. In her brief time she not only stood out as an interesting character herself, but added some insight into the Jedi Temple's day to day workings. For me a great example of "lived-in" atmosphere being about more than just practical sets and dusty props.

Talos of Atmora and teamhansolo like this.
  6. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Captain Needa , He had the guts to personally apologize to Vader, knowing what would happen in order to protect those under his command

7. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Agreed that Needa is an excellent choice.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes, Needa was a better officer than the Empire deserved. That kind of loyalty and dedication could have been put to so much better use than serving a corrupt evil empire.

Snafu55 likes this.
  9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Dengar - visually he's always been a favourite of mine, but Boba Fett gets all the limelight.

10. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Padme. I'm not a huge fan of Portman's performance, but conceptually the character is wonderfully nuanced. It's high time she was given the Bloodline/Rebel Rising treatment.

wobbits, Ghost, teamhansolo and 2 others like this.
  11. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
  12. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
  13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Owen Lars. He took in Luke knowing what a risk it would be and tried to protect him.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ And there was hell to pay.

15. Bail Organa/Wedge Antilles

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  16. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I actually agree that Padme is pretty underrated. I thought she was the best part TPM and while I hate the Anakin/Padme storyline, I do genuinely love how serious she takes her job.

Also, and I will never stop mentioning this, "So this how liberty dies...with thunderous applause" is still one of the absolute best lines from Star Wars to date.

17. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Shmi Skywalker. I will never stop admiring her maternal, sacrificial nature that allowed her to send her son with someone she hardly knows, certain that it will give him a better life. Just imagining how terrifying it would have been, and how she was giving up her likely only source of joy in her life, purely for his sake... maybe it's something that every mother would do for her child, but she still deserves more recognition.

18. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yeah, and I don't think I'll ever forgive the Jedi for not helping her in some way shape or form. I know they're not supposed to get involved or whatever but I really, really don't care.

Shmi Skywalker deserved better.

19. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I definitely agree that Shmi Skywalker is an underrated character. She has this sense of compassion about her that I really admire. I think it's awesome that she taught her son that the greatest problem in the universe is that nobody helps one another, which is as true in our world as it is in the Star Wars universe in my opinion. In many ways, she's one of the wisest characters we meet in Star Wars, and her line about not being able to stop change anymore than you can stop the Tatooine suns from setting always resonates with me. She also just has this sense of quiet strength and resiliency about her. And I also love how she is basically a single mom doing a great job raising her son. That always seemed pretty progressive and feministic to me. Oh, and the older I get, the more disappointed I am in the Jedi for not doing anything to really help her:(

20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Her and Qui-Gon are probably the most underrated characters in the saga on a film basis.

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO, those two characters were the best acted of the PT.

Ghost likes this.
  22. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Absolutely. I agree 100%.

Ghost likes this.
  23. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    To expand on that opinion a bit when it comes to Qui-Gon, I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that I believe Lucas took a chance when it came to starting the PT with a primary character for The Phantom Menace that only appears in one film yet is integral to both the plot and themes of the trilogy. A chance which largely succeeded as not only are he and Obi-Wan better foils to each other than literally any other pair of characters in the trilogy that would follow but he also has a lot of dimension despite all the challenges that comes with killing him off early.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  24. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    I agree. On a more sentimental level, I love how Qui-Gon was not in any way the "perfect Jedi" and yet he was still incredibly successful. You can see in the way that he interacts with Padme, Anakin and Obi-Wan that he takes into account people's emotions when making decisions, which is an admirable trait not all Jedi can claim to have. I find it particularly obvious when he comforts Shmi after Anakin decides to leave, and aware of her motherly concerns, assures her that her son will be well taken care of. In short, I often say that Qui-Gon wasn't the "good-est" Jedi, but he was the best.

25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Qui-Gon has an incredible presence. He just comes across to me as this very good and wise character who can be very gentle with others despite his obvious physical strength and strength with the Force. When interacting with people like Shmi, he's capable of being very compassionate and he respects the dignity of all lives including Jar Jar's. I also do love his relationship with Obi-Wan. I think we learn a lot about both his character and Obi-Wan's by seeing their differences in personalities and philosophies about things like the Jedi Code. In Qui-Gon, I also think we can see the ways that Obi-Wan still has to grow in wisdom in terms of seeing the value in all life such as Jar Jar. It sort of adds depth to Obi-Wan's character in my opinion that he wasn't always the wise man we meet in ANH. There was a time when he was a lot more judgmental and impatient in dealing with others. He had to learn from a great Jedi too. So, yeah, I love both these characters and their relationship with each other.