main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

"Mothers of the Disappeared" Songfic Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Sionnach-Airgid, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sionnach-Airgid

Sionnach-Airgid Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    Jedi missions often involve a certain amount of danger and, from the formation of the Jedi Order through the events of the Saga and Beyond, many of these missions have resulted in the demise of several fine Jedi. We often hear how other Jedi react to the news that one of their comrades has become one with the Force, but what about the parents of the deceased Jedi? Do they ever receive official word? Are they left to wonder what ever happened to the child they gave up to what they hoped was a better life? What did they feel when they found out their child was killed in the line of duty?

There?s a song by U2 entitled ?Mothers of the Disappeared? which, in my mind, conveys the feeling of a Jedi who has become one with the Force and I thought it would be interesting to see how many different ways it could be interpreted. I?ve included the words to the song below as a reference for anyone not familiar with it.

Your challenge: To write a vignette or one-shot story about a mother whose Jedi son/daughter (or children) has been killed or went missing in action while on a mission. You do not need to use quotes from the song in your work, but you may if you choose to do so.

Please post your title and link in this thread and post your response in the ?Mothers of the Disappeared? thread I have created on the appropriate board.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=26944384&brd=10475] Before the Saga [/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=26944396&brd=10476] The Saga [/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/26944420/p1/?0] Beyond the Saga [/link]

I'll create an index of all responses in the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=22826700&brd=10304&start=26955760]Master Challenge Index[/link]

There is no timelimit and you can submit more than one response, so have fun and I?ll look forward to the responses!

Mothers of the Disappeared
    Midnight, our sons and daughters
    Were cut down, and taken from us
    Hear their heartbeat . . .
    We hear their heartbeat
    In the wind
    We hear their laughter
    In the rain
    We see their tears
    We hear their heartbeat
    Night hangs like a prisoner
    Stretched over black and blue
    We hear their heartbeat
    In the trees
    Our sons stand naked
    Through the walls
    Our daughters cry
    See their tears in the rainfall

- U2: The Joshua Tree (1987)

Two stars for VaderLRV64 for being the first to respond to the challenge and for the first response in the Saga. Also a star for earlybird-obi-wan for having the first response in Before!

Responses:
    Before the Saga
    earlybird-obi-wan Shh-kir
    VaderLVR64 112

The Saga
    VaderLRV64 While I slept
    earlybird-obi-wan Siri

Beyond the Saga

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This looks a great challenge! I'm going to see if I can lure my muse into cooperating for this one! :D

3. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    For some reason I can't PM you! :p Could you PM me? I have a question about this challenge. And a response ready to post. But I want to make sure of something first. :D

4. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Sionnach, I think we're sharing some of the same psychic energy! :D I've been a huge U2 fan for a long time and have been thinking of putting this song alongside my other fan passion: writing fiction.

Is there a deadline? Curious as my muse has been known to run out on me.

And VaderLVR...I'm in awe at how fast you whip out the wonderful, quality work that you do. What does your muse eat for breakfast? [face_thinking] Whatever it is...I need to go out and get mine some.

;)

5. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Sure, I'm in. This would be an excellent opportunity to try out the stuff you've taught me thus far, Master! However, it depends on if there's a time limit or not...

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Can one submit previously posted stories? It's a mother dealing with (supposed) loss of her Jedi son in the purges.

7. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    If there is no time limit on this, I will see what I can come up with. =)

8. Sionnach-Airgid

Jul 20, 2005
    VaderLVR64: Thank you! I'm glad you like the challenge. Also, I went ahead and sent you that PM. I'm really looking forward to your response to this challenge!

MirandaFair:Sionnach, I think we're sharing some of the same psychic energy! I've been a huge U2 fan for a long time and have been thinking of putting this song alongside my other fan passion: writing fiction.
    Cool! Isn't there a saying somewhere that great minds think alike? :p I'm not sure why, but there's a lot of U2 songs that remind me of Star Wars . . . [face_thinking]

Is there a deadline? Curious as my muse has been known to run out on me.
    Nope. No deadline. I think you're right about sharing some of the same psychic energy. My muse runs out on me all the time. :rolleyes: Then I go chasing after it with my lightsaber . . . :D

yodas_waiter: Glad to see that you're giving this a go, Padawan! And yes, this will be a great opportunity to work on developing what you've learned so far! Wise my padawan is. No timelimit, so feel free to take your time.

Valairy_Scot: Personally I don't see why not as long as it follows the guidelines of the challenge, but let me double check with the Moderators first just to be sure it doesn't go against any of the board rules, okay? I'll let you know ASAP.

Alexis_Wingstar: No timelimit, so see what you can come up with! :)

Note to all: I have edited the original post to state the no timelimit. [face_blush] I had not thought about that as this is my first attempt at starting a challenge, so thank you all for pointing that out to me![:D]

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    That song got my muse working and I like writing songfics. I have done some already on these boards.

10. Sionnach-Airgid

Jul 20, 2005
    I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

Valairy_Scot: I looked into it and, since it doesn't go against any rules, feel free to go ahead and use your story![face_peace] I'll look forward to reading it!

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Okay, posted mine. :) A great challenge! :p

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Wow, that was a powerful story!

13. Sionnach-Airgid

Jul 20, 2005
    VaderLRV64: Thank you and what a great response to it! I can't wait to read the second one! :)

14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have posted mine

Title: Siri
    Author: Earlybird-obi-wan
    Timeframe: Clwrs
    Characters: OC
    Genre: single-post

Title: Shh-kir
    Author: Earlybird-obi-wan
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: OC
    Genre: single-post
    Links with [link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/26832420]Two red beads[/link]

15. Sionnach-Airgid

Jul 20, 2005
    Great responses to the challenge, earlybird-obi-wan!

=D= =D= =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.