main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Moulin Rouge

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Old-Jedi, May 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    Ladies and gentlemen, dames et messieurs, damen und herren, señoras y señores!

Any of you brave souls care to join us for a night of decadence and music at the:

[image=http://www.comewin.com/host1/images/comewin7308.jpg]

MOULIN ROUGE ???

Stay tune for details.

2. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    these dumb rouge banner ads that make a sound when you rollover them are annoying the bageeezus outta me.

shoot me now.

3. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Uh..no thanks.

4. DarthCynthia

DarthCynthia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    Stone, these ads were hacking me off the other night, too :( It's bad enough ads pop up everywhere.. but I think they can do w/out the music and sound files :p blah.. :(

5. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    Well folks since there didn't seem to be much interest in catching this flick Rob, Jen, Karin and myself caught this extraordinary film tonight free tonight at the USA Film Festival, director Baz Luhrmann was in attendance (more on him later) and all I can say is WOW!

The movie is a wonder to behold, it is bold, dazzling, vibrant, a feast for the eye...I know you all may think I'm building it up...I am. Now don't get me wrong this movie is not for everyone. If you prefer your movies very traditional then I don't think you'll enjoy it as much. Ewan and Nicole were excellent, and let me assure you Ewan can belt out a tune with the best of them. This movie moves brilliantly, sparkling like nothing I've seen since the old MGM musicals. You could do far worse than catch this wonderful movie and if you have a special person this movie is very romantic. After all, it is about love.

Now on to the director, Baz Luhrmann, he was in attendance for the regional premiere, and his first Q&A for this movie. Because of the large crowds we had to sit on the front row, which is not so hot for movie viewing but excellent for Q&A time. As always Karin had her camera with her taking a few snaps. This did not go unnoticed by Cary Cogill, so for laughs he asked Baz to sit on Karin's lap and took their picture(it will be posted soon). We had a great time.

6. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    Ok here are a couple of snaps from our little Moulin Rouge adventure.

Here is Rob showing off his oratory skills...or some such

[image=http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/sc/scrapbookmaker/Rob.jpg]

Here are Karin and Baz...Baz is the one in the middle. If you look closely you can see Rob in the background. Of course Jen and I are nowhere to be seen, typical.

[image=http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/sc/scrapbookmaker/Baz.jpg]

Here is a tidbit from the Chicago Sun Times:

He not only breaks hearts, he impresses them, too. Ewan McGregor, song stylist? Yes, it seems that while crooning tunes for "Moulin Rouge," which opens Friday, the "Star Wars" hunk wowed a higher musical power.

In the 19th century musical, which anachronistically incorporates pop songs of the last three decades, McGregor sings Elton John's "Your Song." "Elton was on the set the day Ewan sung, and he couldn't believe it," said "Moulin Rouge" director Baz Luhrmann. "Elton was like, `This guy sings this song better than I sing it.' "

7. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    ****BAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRF****

oh sorry, hope i didn't get any on ya.

8. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    Yep, that would be my Cro-Magnon forehead in the background. And, according to Gary Cogill, I stand up very well. OK, that was a bit of a location joke.

Now, Uncle Stone, Tim said it wasn't for everybody. But you can tell everybody this is your song, it may be quite simple but now that it's done, I hope you don't mind, hope you don't mind that I put down into words how wonderful life is now that you're in the world.

BOO-YAA!

9. jedimiss

jedimiss Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2000
    I'm sorry I missed it, but this has been one really really bad month, well I should say the month of may that is. Anyways...Any movie with Ewan Mcgregor in it has to be a must see. He is THE hottest guy out in Hollywood now. He can Moulin my Rouge any day! hahahahh!!!

10. jedilona

jedilona Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Well the movie certainly is a dazzling sight.

The costumes were spectacular spectactular ;)

It took awhile for me to get used to Ewan and the rest singing...But I lived..

That's all :D

11. Loudox

Loudox Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2001
    This movie is fantastic. I reccomend it to everyone who gets the chance to see it. I have seen twice in the last 24 hrs and I can certainly assure you I will probably see it again soon. It is visually stunning and the contemporary music mixed in to the story is brilliantly achieved. I haven't been this entertained in a movie since the Matrix.

Loudox says "check it out".

12. Genetic_Misfire

Genetic_Misfire Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey Lou, you're not the only one who saw it twice within 24 hrs.

I was really not expecting to like this film very much but I was pleasantly suprised. Moulin Rouge is now in my top 5 films I've seen this year. Mr. Nabooty even seemed to really enjoy it.

James

13. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Definitely. It was *VERY* well done.

It was like a live-action horny Disney movie on acid, if they made such things. Seriously funny and touching by turns.

I cannot stand the typical musical or romantic tragi-comedy, but this rocked.

Don't know for sure, but I think they even incorporated some Streisand numbers into it. Ewan and Kidman made the black-hearted one look like the sad-schnozzed excuse for a diva that she is!

Visuals were awesome. I'd go see this one again. Definitely.

14. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    For once, I am in total agreement. Moulin Rouge is absolutely incredible. I just got back from seeing it a second time, and it's easily my favorite movie of 2001 so far.

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who generally HATES musicals as a rule. But this one wasn't insulting at all (nobody broke into song and dance for absolutely no reason). A very dark, romantic tragedy/comedy.

If you have not seen it, you are truly missing out. Nothing else that is out right now even comes close. Go see it, now!

15. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    hated it.

i had no interest in seeing this film, afterall, i have a hard time with musicals that aren't animated. but after everybody's been raving about it, i decided to give it a chance and went to see it with an open mind. and i wanna stress the word _open_, i was truly interested in giving it the benefit of the doubt.

first off, it's a total rip-off of 'shakespeare in love' conceptually. and while SIL was new and interesting, MR was tired and been there, done that.

the visuals are beautiful and interesting to watch, the story was ultimately predictable and not breaking any new ground. [a.k.a. the 'titan a.e.' syndrome] i mean, they tell you how it ends in the first 2 minutes of the film.

alot of the time i found myself laughing. but not with it, but _at it_. the "virgin" scene was prime example. that was too horrid for words to express.

now, the scene on top of the elephant, "saltine" and chris, where they sing little snipets of songs was good, and really worked well. really a beautifully done scene. but it took so long to get there, and then the story didn't go anywhere after that.

color me disappointed.

if you want to see a good movie by Baz, see 'romeo & juliete', or if you want to see a good musical set in paris see 'an american in paris' otherwise don't bother with MR.

..........................stone
    [all opinions expressed do not, necessarily refelct those of DFWFanForce or it's members. BUT IT SHOULD.]

16. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    Ahh Stone...my poor uninformed moronic half-wit nerf herder friend, bless your heart. It rips off conceptually SIL, like that doesn't rip off Romeo and Juliet and if you're into opera La Boheme? It's more like Knights Tale in that regard, but I say so what? Star Wars ripped off Hidden Fortress conceptually, no biggie(Hidden Fortress is currently out on DVD btw I urge all Star Wars fans to see it's genesis, and besides Uncle George make an appearance as well) As far as the ending being spoiled at the beginning that device has been used before, American Beauty comes to mind. Again I say so what. I think you are missing the point exactly. You are supposed to laugh at it(not with it) during the Like a Virgin scene it is absurd and grotesque. I think the reason that so many folks(not me) don't like traditional musicals like An American in Paris, Singing in the Rain, Meet me in St. Louis, is because they cannot identify with the music. MR provides that association. I think in a movie like MR the journey is more important that the destination. Hey like I posted earlier it's not for everybody, especially the, weak minded, nerf herder-type such as yourself, bless your heart. A piece of advice Stone, stay off the pipe, it ruins your movie going experience. ;)

17. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    What is with you lately, Tim? You've been throwing out insults at people who disagree over various things, that are as tired as the plot of Moulin Rouge.

I didn't hate this film. I didn't WORSHIP it either. THe visuals were stunning, and balsey. Kudos to "Baz" (like everyone call's him. That's tired too) for holding it all together. In the hands of any other director it could have been a fiasco. But it wasn't. The entire look of the film was beautiful, it was "Spectacular, spectacular". The music, suprisingly, was good and proved that if done right, music is timeless. But that was about it. Like stone I journeyed into Moulin Rouge with an open mind, and REALLY wanting to LOVE this film, but I didn't. The film climaxed for me on top of that elephant --which I thought was a GREAT scene. After that, it was all just mediocre, contrived, and full of itself. Although, the ROXANNE bit was really good - it was raw and harsh and captured the pain that Christian was going through. It's easier for me to admire it for it's craftsmanship then to enjoy it. And that's about it for me. I just dont see the purpose of the collective orgasm going on here over it. I too can say it was the best film I've seen this year, but that's not saying much so far. So, please dont hate me because I'm beautiful.

And, seriously, the insults are getting old, Jedi.

18. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    Oh, and everyone rips off all the stories out there. There's nothing new about that. Yea, so what. American Beauty did tell us the guy was dead and you knew he was going to die at the end. The difference between American Beauty and MR using that plot device is that AB did it WAY better. You cant use that argument. It's not the fact that they TOLD you that Satine was dead at the beginning of the film, it's that the payoff in the end wasn't GREAT like AB, it was good...not great. There's a difference.

19. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    What is with you lately, Tim? You've been throwing out insults at people who disagree over various things, that are as tired as the plot of Moulin Rouge.

Ahh the only thing tired my friend is your pedantic opinions and your misguided self delusions of beauty. Stone's opinions I totally understand, and respect. Yours on the other hand come across as ham-handedly lame, like an after-thought. Quit reading the Drudge Report, it's warping your mind. All that right-wing stuff is inflaming the right side of your brain, causing the creative left side to shrivel and atrophy...then again I could be way off on all of this.

I throw myself at the mercy of the CR if I have step out of line.

Like I said this movie is not for everyone. To use a phrase "Remember all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more". That and "Friends don't let friends, use recreations drugs before movies...unless said movie is 2001 A Space Odyssey"

Until Next Time

20. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Jaysus, people! Settle down, it's just a movie, okay?

I loved it, Stone hated it, Eric is somewhere in the middle. But it's not worth getting upset over. Just a film, folks. Just a film.
    Now, everyone go see Swordfish for some kewl-arse explosions. :)

21. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    gee tim,

i dunno if you noticed but you an i tend to agree on movies. in this case we didn't, no biggie. relax.

22. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    Ah, the elderly. They have to use some outlet to feel important and needed.

23. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    Screw you guys I'm going home!

24. jedimiss

jedimiss Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2000
    Screw ALL of you guys. I have never seen American Beauty and now I know the ending...oh cruel world. :-(

25. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    JediMiss - Kevin Spacey narrates the opening of the film and says something like, "If I only knew I'd be dead by the end of the week" or something like that. So you haven't missed anything.

THe rest of yous guys: If you dont know us then sounds like there's some major descent going on here. There isn't. :) We're old friends picking on each other and seeing if we can rile each other up. I mean, hell, OldJedi is SO predictable, I knew he would respond in even worse, tired, old insults!!! Right, OldBastard? I mean OldJedi? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.