main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT "Mourn them do not; Miss them do not."-Good advice or bad advice?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The One Above All, Jul 9, 2018.

1. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Here's my thinking:

>> Yoda screwed up for two reasons.
    * He should know by now, given his age, how humans react when they're scared of people they love dying. He's, what, 800+ years old? Read a book on human emotions already, you aged frog! If someone told me to not mourn or miss my mother, I'd punch them in the face.

* He also should know that Anakin still has trouble letting go even after thirteen years of being a Jedi. "Train yourself to let go" my ass. He clearly doesn't know HOW to do that. What he needs is step-by-step guidance on how to let go of what he fears.

>> In Defense for Yoda
    * Anakin wasn't there to learn that it's OK to grieve or accept that everyone dies eventually. As others pointed out, he was looking for some necromancer-style ability to prolong death far beyond what would be natural.

* Anakin never told him the full story. For all Yoda knew, he was saying he had nightmares of Obi-Wan dying and he's unable to save him. Fair enough, this is a war and both men have been in situations where they barely escaped alive. That said, even if this were Obi-Wan we're talking about...

>> Yoda Screwed Up, Pt II
    * Yoda should've pressed further. Did he have visions that came true before this one? Press for details. If this guy is legit having visions, and these visions have been known to come true, then proceed with caution.

>> In Defense for Yoda, Part II
    * Didn't he imply, or otherwise say for Anakin to be careful with these visions?

Mostly Handless and Samuel Vimes like this.
  2. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019

I agree.

They all had trouble letting go of their attachments . . . including Yoda and the Jedi. The difference between them and Anakin is that they did not become part of the Sith Order.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well there is good reason for that. emotion without control potentially leads to the dark side. it would be considered a jedi weakness and would be a downfall to embrace it. i assume the jedi need to reset their emotions after a stressful experience. bit like anakin meditating in episode 2 after the dream about his mother. in the end its just kinda whats expected to be a jedi. they are basically monks.

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'm going to go against the grain a bit here and say that Yoda's advice was good. Spot-on. Exactly what Anakin should've done, and if Anakin had followed it, he would've been able to spare himself, Padme, Obi-Wan, the Jedi Order, and the galaxy as a whole a great deal of suffering.

I think it is important to remember that Anakin is coming to Yoda with visions of a future death and suffering. Anakin is not presently grieving a death that has happened. We see in TPM with Obi-Wan how a Jedi can respond to actual death. Obi-Wan cries when Qui-Gon dies in his arms, but by the funeral, he is moving toward a place of acceptance and encouraging Anakin to do the same. Trying to teach Anakin that Qui-Gon is one with the Force and so Anakin must let go. That is core to the Jedi philosophy of how to handle grief, suffering, and loss. Let go. Find acceptance. Moreover, it is not a uniquely Jedi philosophy. Many psychologists and spiritual counselors in our world try to guide people through stages of grief to ultimate acceptance of death, toward letting go, and toward celebrating the life of the being who has passed away. That is ultimately what Yoda is advocating that Anakin learn to do.

Yoda warns Anakin to be careful about sensing the future, and he is absolutely right about that. If Anakin didn't give immediate credence to his vision of Padme dying in childbirth and become determined to save her at all costs, his vision wouldn't have even come true. Padme only died in childbirth because she was so devastated that Anakin had turned to the Dark Side and Force-choked her. If Anakin hadn't turned to the Dark Side and Force-choked her, Padme would've survived childbirth. So, Padme's death in childbirth, that is all on Anakin and Anakin's choice to believe that his vision is one hundred percent true. His actions are what make his visions come true. Without his actions, Padme lives through childbirth. So, yes, Anakin should've been careful about sensing the future. He wasn't, so death and suffering was the result.

Yoda is also very wise to warn Anakin that fear of loss is the path to the Dark Side because in my opinion it is Anakin's fear of loss--his inability to accept death--that causes his downfall and descent to the Dark Side. Anakin fears Padme's death so much that it drives him to commit terrible deeds. He does not commit these evil deeds or fall to the Dark Side because he loves Padme. Remember that Padme never expresses fear of dying or begs Anakin to save her from death in childbirth. When Anakin shares his vision with her, her concern is only about her child--whether the child survives in his vision--not about herself. Similarly, when she is about to be taken into the execution arena in AOTC, she assures Anakin that she is not afraid to die. And in TPM when Palpatine warns her that the Trade Federation will destroy her if she returns to Naboo, she is fearless as she declares that her fate will be the same as her people's. So Padme is not a woman that fears death. Anakin should know that so his drive to save her is rooted in his own fears. The focus is on what Anakin wants, not what Padme would want. Since Padme would not want Anakin going to the Dark Side in a misguided effort to save her from death. That is why she never asks him to do such a thing.

Anakin is setting himself down a path of misery making it his goal to keep his vision of Padme dying in childbirth from coming true. He is not addressing his true problem, which is his inability to deal with death and loss. Death and loss that all beings in our world and in a galaxy far, far away. Fact of the matter is that Anakin will die at some point. So will Padme. So will Obi-Wan. So will Yoda even if it is after 900+ years. That is a truth and reality that must be accepted. It is not healthy to deny that reality as Anakin does or to react to grief with rage and destruction as Anakin does in Episode 2. That is a path to suffering and misery. Not to happiness.

Yoda is absolutely correct that death is a natural part of life. Same as childbirth. Same as growth. Same as decay. Any refusal to accept that death is a natural part of life does not seem like a healthy philosophy to me. Death must be accepted. Must be come to terms with. Is that easy? Nope. Is it better to do that than to give in to rage and fear as Anakin does? Yep. So I would say it is Yoda's perspective that is healthy here, and Anakin's that is unhealthy and needs to be changed.

I think people tend to put the emphasis on the wrong part of Yoda's quote when it comes to mourning and missing. Yoda is trying to teach Anakin about a way to overcome grief and deal with loss. A way that puts the focus not on negative emotions of mourning and missing, but on more sublime emotions. Rejoicing in a being becoming one with the Force. It is similar to the decision to celebrate the life of a lost loved one, remembering the good times shared, rather than dwelling on the sorrow of loss and grief. There are even some people who will prefer to be remembered that way. Like my dad has made it clear that when he passes, he wants more of a celebration of his life than a sad funeral. He wants people smiling as they remember him rather than crying. So again I think Yoda is trying to teach Anakin about how even grief can be turned into something sublime.

Anakin's big fear is loss and death so Yoda is right to advise Anakin to train himself to let go of everything he fears to lose.

If Anakin had listened to Yoda's advice, he would not have gone to the Dark Side. He would not have Force-choked Padme. He would not have been the cause of so much death and suffering.

Anakin also would've done well to listen to his mother when she told him not to look back in Episode 1 and when she told him that he can't stop the change any more than he can stop Tatooine's twin suns from setting.

Anakin's problem was that he set himself a quest of stopping death that was as doomed to failure and misery as trying to stop Tatooine's twin suns from setting.

Yoda and Shmi were right. The tragedy of the PT and of Anakin Skywalker's life is that he chose not to listen to their wisdom and guidance.

Anakin's tragic flaw in my opinion is that inability to accept death. That to me is what makes him a tragic hero.

5. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    That's not the full picture of what happened in TPM. After Qui-Gon was first struck down, Obi-Wan had responded with both grief and anger. He literally flipped his lid and attacked Maul in a fit of rage. At first, his anger seemed to be helping him, but Obi-Wan was so blind from his emotions that he got careless and Maul nearly killed him. Two factors saved Obi-Wan. Maul's cockiness led him to toy with Obi-Wan, while the latter barely hanged on that ledge. Maul's cockiness gave Obi-Wan time to collect himself and finally strike down the former. If Maul had not become so arrogant, I believe he would have killed Obi-Wan, while the latter was hanging from that ledge.

I also believe that Obi-Wan's unresolved feelings about Anakin led him to give Luke a really bad piece of advice in ROTJ.

I believe the real problem was that the Jedi never did a good job in teaching their acolytes on how to deal with attachments. Instead, the Jedi had adhered to a more narrow view in this belief that all attachments had a negative effect upon an individual. In order to become a Jedi disciple, one must let go of all attachments. Unfortunately, the Jedi never knew how to correctly let go of attachments or even learn when it was the right time to let go of attachments. In other words, they never taught their acolytes on how to let go. Instead, the Jedi enforced this belief through a rule. Even worse, the Jedi's "no attachment" rule led its members to develop a strong attachment to the Order. This would end up causing a great deal of trouble for them and Anakin.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    AusStig and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @AEHoward33 Yes, Obi-Wan reacts with anger when Qui-Gon is first struck down but his reacting with anger is a mistake and he realizes that when he is in the literal pit with Maul looking down on him. We see him visibly calming himself and centering himself in the Force. It is when he is calming himself and centering himself in the Force that he is acting like a Jedi. When he is acting based on his anger, then he is not acting like a Jedi. Same as Anakin is not acting like a Jedi when he slaughters the Tusken Raiders in Episode II. Jedi are not supposed to act out of anger or fear. When they do, they are not acting in accordance with the Jedi Code.

Obi-Wan did not always act according to the Jedi Code. He struggled with his anger and his fears. The difference between him and Anakin is he noticed when he was breaking the Code and reigned himself in to behave in a more appropriate Jedi fashion instead of letting his destiny be dominated by his rage and fear.

So, reacting with anger to death, refusing to accept death is bad. No matter who does it. But Obi-Wan at least realized when he was wrong and put himself back on the Jedi path. Unlike Anakin.

Obi-Wan finds a way to accept death and the fact that Qui-Gon is one with the Force. Anakin could not accept the fact that Shmi died and that one day Padme would die. That is why he went to the Dark Side.

If he could have accepted death as Yoda advised, he would not have created so much suffering for himself and the galaxy.

His inability to accept death is his tragic flaw. Sympathetic but still misguided and doomed to failure because death is not something that can be defied forever. It must be come to terms with by those with a healthy philosophy toward life.

7. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    @devilinthedetails

I do not think Yoda gave good advice.
    Yes, at the core, what he said has value.
    One, all things die so you need to be prepared to accept loss.
    Two, don't become a slave to grief.

But where I think he did it wrong is several,
    One, he came across as cold and uncaring.
    Two, he did not fit his advice/lesson to the person he was talking to instead he spouted dogma.
    Three, he did not probe Anakin for more details. Yes Anakin was not totally forthcoming but then Yoda should have said, "I can not advice you unless I know the full picture." Giving advice based on partial or incomplete information can be worse than saying nothing.

Also, Yoda told him not to mourn. Which, a) conflicts with what we see elsewhere, the Jedi held a funeral for Qui-Gon and it seemed a somber affair.
    And b) sounded like the Jedi don't have a mourning process. Instead they instantly get over any death. Say a Jedi looses a good friend and instead of being sad, mourning and saying their goodbyes, the Jedi instead goes. "Oh, my friend died, that is a shame..Well enough of that, he is in a better place, what's for lunch?"
    Mourning and grieving is, to me, needed. To say your goodbyes, to let go. If you refuse to do that, or have been told that you must not do that, the risk is that you try to bury your feelings rather than deal with them.
    Which is what I think happened with Anakin. He was told that he should not be attached to his mother. But he did not know how to let go so instead he tried to bury those feelings and act like they were not there.
    But they were and they festered inside him and when they came out with her horrible death, and added with ten years of fear and an unfulfilled promise, Anakin exploded in a rage of death and hate.

If a person close to you dies and you feel sad, grieve as it is proper to mourn. Deal with those emotions, let them pass through you and then let them go. There are those that cling to their grief and become chained to loss and can't move on. But I think it is also risky to not deal with those feelings at all and instead act like they don't exist.
    Refusing to mourn is to me, bad advice.
    Unless the connection you had with the person that died is very shallow, like it was a person you briefly worked with ten years ago and has not seen since. If you had a strong connection, if you cared about that person, if that person mattered to you. The loss is not something that you shrug your shoulders at and instantly forget.

To me, the PT Jedi came across as scared of attachments and emotions and their preferred way of dealing with them is trying to make sure they never arise in the first place. Jedi to be ar taken at a very young age so that they form no attachment to their parents or family.
    Having a family or children is banned.
    So Jedi to be are to be raised in a "secure" and "safe" environment so as not to be exposed to theses "dangerous" feelings.

I think that the core reason behind this was good, to reduce the risk of Jedi turning bad but to me, the Jedi had become too focused on dogma, they accepted these things without question and could not consider that there might be alternatives. That their way might have flaws.
    They become rigid and inflexible and could not properly respond to a new type of threat, a Sith order that had adapted and changed their ways.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    AusStig and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    If at its core what Yoda said had value, it is not bad advice.

All things do die. You do need to be prepared to accept loss. That is what Yoda is telling Anakin. That is what Anakin needs to accept and needs to hear. If he can hear and accept this, then he will not fall to the Dark Side. If he can train himself to let go of everything he fears to lose like Yoda says, he will not fall for Palpatine's lie of being able to save Padme if Anakin just goes to the Dark Side and commits the Temple slaughter first. So Yoda's advice is tailored specifically to Anakin and what Anakin needs to do. Yoda sees more clearly what Anakin needs to do than Anakin does himself. Anakin is too fixated on trying to avoid the vision that he saw of Padme dying in childbirth to realize that what he actually needs to do is accept that at some point Padme will die. Whether she dies in childbirth or not, at one point, she will die. Anakin needs to find a way to handle that and deal with that. Is loss one of the most painful things to experience in life? Yes. Is it made better by denying it and refusing to accept it when it happens and not finding any peace after loss? Nope. So that is why the Jedi advocate acceptance and trying to find peace after loss.

I do not agree that Yoda came across as cold and uncaring. He comes across as fairly empathetic to me in that scene.

I think he did tailor his advice to Anakin. His advice is so well-suited to Anakin that if Anakin had followed it, Anakin wouldn't have fallen to the Dark Side. He was spot-on about what Anakin needed to do. It is not Yoda's fault that Anakin did not follow his advice.

Yoda did probe Anakin for some details. He asked if it was Anakin in the vision or someone else, someone close to Anakin. Anakin's answer tells Yoda all he needs to know: that the person is close to Anakin. That reveals to Yoda that Anakin is struggling with the ability to accept the inevitablity of death and loss. He is also at the risk of not being careful in his interpretation of visions. Two things that are going to contribute greatly to his downfall later in the film. Two things Yoda correctly warns Anakin about, so I think Yoda had enough detail to give good advice. Good advice that Anakin ended up not taking, but good advice nonetheless.

Yoda told him not to mourn and miss, but to rejoice in beings becoming one in the Force. To partially quote is to eliminate the full nuance and wisdom of Yoda's comment. Yoda is talking about transforming grief into something sublime. Turning negative emotions into positive ones. Reaching a point of being grateful for the life that was lived and that became one with the Force. Yoda is trying to shift Anakin's perspective on death and loss. Trying to get him to see it in a new way. A different light. It is not meant to be a full outline of the Jedi grieving process like in some official paper. It is meant to be a perspective shifter. A little bit of a view changer.

I think Yoda's words aren't meant to provide a comprehensive overview of the entire Jedi grieving process, and I would say that Yoda's words along with everything else we see and hear from the Jedi should be combined to provide a better insight into the overall Jedi grieving process. It is clear from Qui-Gon's funeral that Jedi do feel some solemnity at death, and Obi-Wan does cry when Qui-Gon dies. He doesn't just go, "Well, old Qui-Gon is in a better place now. Time to think about what takeout I should order for dinner." So I'd think it'd be a distortion of Yoda's words to act like that it was they are describing, especially since we have proof with Obi-Wan that the Jedi grieving process isn't like that. However, we do see that by the time of Qui-Gon's funeral, Obi-Wan is moving to a place where he can let go of Qui-Gon and accept that Qui-Gon is one with the Force, and try to encourage Anakin to do the same. So that is basically what I think Yoda is trying to remind Anakin that he needs to do when he experiences death and loss. He needs to find a way to accept that death and loss. To let that person go and accept that person is one with the Force. And once Anakin has let that person go and accepted that person is one with the Force, he could indeed be able to rejoice in that person being one with the Force. Being transformed into the Force.

I also think it is worth noting that at the time of Anakin's conversation with Yoda in ROTS, Anakin has not recently lost a person he cares about. He is not dealing with a death right now. He is really dealing with his fear of death. His inability to accept death. So that is what Yoda is addressing with him. Yoda is not guiding him through a particular death and loss he has recently experienced. To me, there is a big difference between the two.

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Did Yoda know about Padme? Seems like Anakin was pretty open about it, at least to Obi Wan. Anakin was kind of an open book in some ways, so Yoda must have suspected. he can't have been the first Jedi to have fallen in love in 800 years.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    To me, Yoda was simply holding to the teachings of the Jedi, in that attachment is forbidden. As he says, it leads to jealousy, which is the shadow of greed. In Yoda's (and I'd believe most if not all Jedi's) eyes, that belief is not 'case by case,' where the concept can be abandoned based on the situation, but rather an absolute-knowing the potential it has for someone to be tempted by the darkside.

Whether or not we all believe that is the best way for Jedi to go in general is not the point-but it was the belief of the Jedi, and avoiding attachment is part of the oath they swear when joining the order. Yoda was simply reminding Anakin of this, in an effort to help him not be so concerned about losing people or things-which is what is leading to these premonitions.

I will admit that Yoda should not have simply told Anakin to "train himself" in something he probably should have known by now would be difficult for him. Yoda should have recognized Anakin would need guidance in this.

Regarding not mourning or missing those that have passed, I don't believe Yoda was trying to tell him not to care if someone he cares about dies. I think he was trying to remind him that they transform into the Force, and "that is the way of things," as he later says to Luke. More of an encouragement of acceptance of the ways of the Force, rather than giving in to fear and trying to control something that should progress naturally-which Anakin ended up doing after all anyway.

11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    This brings up another question. From what Ani tells Yoda (which admittedly isn't the full story), Padme's possible death may not be a natural one, but one involving pain and suffering. It certainly would be an untimely one. And Yoda advises him to do nothing, accept her death, be satisfied that she'll be one with the Force, and move on. And yet the murder of the Jedi, also one involving pain & suffering and certainly untimely, is treated as an unspeakable crime to be avenged, and definitely not a thing to be calmly accepted. Would Yoda have been so quick to accept the latter deaths and let "the way of things" take its course had he seen precognitive visions of them? Or would he have taken action to prevent them from happening, since the future is always in motion and not pre-ordained?
    I'm not saying Yoda or the Jedi are being hypocritical. I'm just saying it doesn't seem to occur to them that they treat the situation differently when the shoe is on the other foot.

DARTH_BELO and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  12. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    The Jedi in the OT seem to instruct Luke to bury his feelings; keep them in check so to speak. Obi-Wan in ROTJ tells Luke that his feelings can do him credit, but could be manipulated to serve the Emperor. The Jedi in the PT seem to instruct their students to not have feelings at all, to get rid of emotion. Which may be possible for Yoda's species after a few hundred years of meditation and life experience ...but to expect a human in its early twenties, that was not trained as a Jedi until he was ten years old, to be able to do the same is a completely different circumstance.

I felt like Obi-Wan was being cold with Luke in ROTJ because of the very specific circumstances that Luke was going to be facing by the end of the film. Then, by the time we get to the PT, it just seems like the Jedi act that way all the time by default. It still doesn't sit right with me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  13. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Re: the highlighted, that's a good point. Although I wonder if they were basically taking a different approach with Luke, based on the current circumstances and because of what happened with Anakin...?

14. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I've always seen a disconnect from how Ben and Yoda act in the PT with how they act in the OT. And I've heard people tell me that the characters don't change at all from PT to OT AND that the characters changed because of the events of the PT. I think people can see what they want to see.

I just always find the Jedi to be cold in the PT when they do and say the same stuff that Yoda and Ben said in the OT. Ben and Yoda were training Luke under a very precise set of circumstances, so when Luke is told that he may have to let his friends die to serve the greater good ... I understand why they're telling him that. In TESB they're telling him that they understand why he wants to save Han and Leia and that that goal is valid, but Luke needs to be focused on the larger picture right now.

When Yoda is telling Anakin to let go of his feeling also, I'm left asking why? It seem like Lucas took elements from a specific story (the OT, Rebels vs gargantuan Empire) and just inserted them into a completely different story without giving it any thought.

15. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    That's what I had just said.

Avoiding attachments is easier said than done. And I doubt very much that anyone can simply "avoid" attachments. I think the Jedi should have realized that individuals eventually form attachments and over the course years, have to learn to let go. And this is something that I believe the Jedi had failed spectacularly, considering how many of them had developed an attachment to the Order itself.

16. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree avoiding the feelings of attachment would be incredibly difficult, even for the Jedi. But there's a difference between avoiding the feeling, and avoiding the action itself. Someone can avoid acting on a feeling, even if they have it. I always thought that's what the oath was saying. In avoiding the action of forming attachments, it aids them in their endeavor of learning to let go-which is also something Jedi are encouraged to do.

Just because someone has a feeling or motivation for something, doesn't mean they should act on it. And the reason for why it might not be a good idea to act on it depends on that person's circumstances. If I am mad at some kid for constantly bullying my daughter, I feel like I want to punch that punk kid in the face for what he's been doing to my little girl. But of COURSE I wouldn't act on it, regardless of my feelings.

In fact, I feel Anakin said it perfectly in AOTC: Attachment is forbidden, but compassion/unconditional love is central to a Jedi's life. He's interpreting the teaching in a way that meets his own ends of course, but still that is the Order's teaching.

17. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Yes, but I don't believe forcing someone to break off from family or close friends due to a rule is the way to do it. I've always found the Jedi's method of handling attachments very artificial and forced.

Kenneth Morgan and Samuel Vimes like this.
  18. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    At it's core no but again, I think it was phrased badly and said coldly and without much empathy.

But this would not be news to Anakin. He has been a Jedi for over a decade and he should know this.
    So what Yoda is doing is repeating lessons that Anakin has already heard but apparently not been able to learn or accomplish. So Yoda should think, if Anakin isn't learning then either the problem is with the student or the lesson. So maybe try to approach it from a different angle.

And how much did Yoda know about what happened in AotC?
    Obi-Wan knew that Anakin had been having nightmares about his mother and then Anakin was on Tatooine. Unless Obi-Wan is stupid, he would figure that Anakin was there because his mother.
    Yoda meanwhile had sensed Anakin in pain. Did they question Anakin about what happened?
    Unknown but I think they did not know about the Sand People massacre.
    But say Yoda knows that Anakin had visions of his mother in pain, bad enough that he could not sleep properly, he went to save her but came too late and she died after suffering torture.
    And now Anakin is having visions again, this time of someone else.
    So Yoda could figure that Anakin would assume that this vision would come true as well.
    Last time, Anakin did the proper Jedi thing, ignored it. Until he could not ignore it any longer and he went but was too late. Had Anakin acted sooner, his mother might not have died.
    So Yoda saying that Anakin should just ignore it again, that would not go down too well.

And to me there is a difference between saving someone from death in the moment and wanting to keep death from that person for ever. If a Jedi has a vision of someone they are close to, drowning near a beach, would they act? Like suggesting that this person not go to that beach? Go with them? Or should they do nothing and accept death?
    Variation, if a Jedi is at that beach and sees the person they are close to out in the waves, struggling and calling for help. Would they help? Run out, get a boat or something? Or would they just let them drown? Accept death and all that?

Jedi can get visions of the future, Mace and and Yoda commented that they did not see the creation of the clone army and thus the Force visions are getting weaker. But are Jedi allowed to act on visions?
    Or do they get them and go "Well this looks bad but I must accept death and not act."

And I think he did come across as cold. Same in TPM, Yoda and the others was dealing with a scared nine year old, that missed his mother. Very normal for a kid in his position. And yet I saw little to no empathy or understanding from the Jedi there. Yoda instead warned Anakin how bad things could come from his fear of loosing his mother. Yoda had a point but did not consider the person he was talking to. A nine year old that was attached and missed his mother.

Again, did Yoda know about the events in AotC? If he knew that Anakin had visions before, that came true and how horrible Anakin felt about that. Then that is something he should consider.
    If Yoda did not know about that and only that Anakin was in great pain at some point but not why or how.
    Did Yoda not ask? Did he not talk to Obi-Wan? It must have been pretty major for Yoda to sense it half a galaxy away.

Shmi's death was not of natural causes, she was beaten and died.
    There is a war going on and Coruscant was recently attacked. If Yoda thinks the vision is of Obi-Wan, then likely it would be Obi-Wan dying in the war. Again not a natural death. If Yoda would consider Padme, she is on Coruscant and since it has been attacked already, then she could die in another such attack.
    So again not a natural death.

If Yoda meant to mourn but turn those feelings of grief into something positive, then again, he phrased it terribly.

Yoda said clearly NOT to mourn, how was Anakin to know that he meant "Mourn and grieve, say your goodbyes but then take the feelings of loss and turn them into positive feelings of the person that is gone."
    It would hardly take much longer to say that then what Yoda did say.

That what Yoda said is at odds with what we see in TPM with Qui-Gon's funeral is part of why I think he phrased it badly. It sounded like he expected Anakin to act in a way that other Jedi don't act.
    And again, Anakin is not a newbie Jedi, he has heard this for over ten years and it still has not sunk in.

Two tings, one, say that you have a husband who has just been told his wife has terminal cancer and will die in about two weeks. And say they are both around 40. Would you think Yoda's "Mourn them do not, miss them do not.." bit would be appropriate? The wife isn't dead yet but will be quite soon.
    Second, as I've said, Anakin did have visions and lost someone, so he has no reason not to think this would be any different. So much like the husband, he is looking at a death that will happen soon.
    And it is clearly bothering him.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    So, then we are in agreement, that the Jedi way to respond to death and loss is not with rage and anger. It is with acceptance. There are times when any individual can reach or fall short of that standard. When they reach that standard, they are in the right from the Jedi perspective. When they fall short of that standard, Jedi teaching is that they are wrong.

@Samuel Vimes I don't think it was phrased badly unless one ignores the larger picture of what was said to focus only on select parts. Nor do I think it was said coldly or without empathy.

It doesn't have to be "news" to Anakin for it to be good advice. It is what Anakin is refusing to do. So he needs to be reminded of the importance of doing it. That is what Yoda is doing here, reminding Anakin of the importance of being able to accept death and loss. Anakin can easily ask, "How do I do that?" He doesn't do that because he is not interested in learning how to accept death and loss. He is interested in the much more doomed quest of trying to prevent those he loves from dying, which is obviously never going to be successful, as death is inevitable and must be come to terms with. Anakin's problem is that he is not interested in learning the lesson. That is why he doesn't learn the lesson. Doesn't matter how many different ways something is explained if someone has no sincere interest in understanding what is explained.

There is a big difference between Anakin's visions of his mother dying and Padme dying in childbirth. Shmi was a slave on Tatooine last time Anakin had seen her. I would imagine the risk of death is a lot higher for a slave woman on Tatooine than it is for a woman of good health with access to medical care that seems superior to what is available in developed nations in our own world dying of childbirth. Like for a woman of good health who is Padme's age in our world to die in childbirth in a developed nation would be astronomically rare. So, yeah, I see a big difference in how likely the visions were to come true. And indeed Anakin's vision of Shmi's death comes true not because of his actions but because of the Tusken Raiders actions, while Anakin's vision of Padme's death only comes true because of his own actions. Therefore, I would say that supports the idea that Shmi's death was much more likely to happen based on the information Anakin had, while Padme's death was much less likely to happen. Anakin needed to be careful interpreting his vision of the future like Yoda advised. He wasn't and he suffered for it. So did Padme.

I don't think Yoda phrased what he meant terribly since I was able to understand what he meant just fine. Anakin probably would've been able to understand as well if he wasn't fixated on saving Padme at all costs without any concern for what she actually felt, thought, and wanted.

I didn't get the impression that Yoda was asking Anakin to behave in a way different from how others act. I think he was acting him to behave in the way we see Obi-Wan behave at the funeral. In terms of accepting that the person has become one with the Force and therefore the need to let go exists. That to me was what was being asked of Anakin.

Terminal cancer is different from a vision of an otherwise healthy woman of Padme's age dying in childbirth in a society that has more advanced medical care than we have in our own world. Terminal cancer is a clear medical diagnosis of impending death. Visions of the future are vague and may not come to pass at all (as Anakin's vision wouldn't have come true if he hadn't acted on it). Moreover, in a society as advanced as a galaxy far, far away is shown to be, I see it as extremely unlikely that someone like Padme would die in childbirth. So I see the situations as totally different and not comparable at all. I'd have more sympathy for Anakin in terms of fearing Padme's death in childbirth if I got the impression that deaths in childbirth were common. Like if this was some sort of quasi-medieval society with no real medical treatment available. But it is demonstrably not like that. It's a society with interstellar travel where people regularly survive having their limbs lopped off.

So I'm left going, deaths in childbirth in a galaxy far, far away are likely almost unfathomably rare. Therefore, Anakin's fears of her dying are irrational, and so the best advice for him is to learn how to handle his irrational fear of death and loss. To train himself to let go of everything he fears to lose just like Yoda says.

That being said, I think we just have very different interpretations of Yoda's words and overall tone, so I am inclined to agree to disagree. Thank you for the discussion that helped me clarify some of my own thoughts!

Watcherwithin and darkspine10 like this.
  20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm also struck by how Yoda never offers his help in the situation. You'd think that, as a friend and mentor, Yoda would offer whatever help he could, short of going to the Dark Side, to make sure Padme was safe. I mean extra security, Jedi healers, or even looking into the future himself to see if he could interpret things better. (Remember, he looked into Luke's future vision on TESB to try and judge it.) But Yoda instead goes to the default mode of, "She'll die. Let her go. Don't even think of her. Move on." Now, Ani might not accept an offer of that sort of help, but maybe he would. At least, he'd see that the Jedi were truly concerned for her life and well-being, making it a bit more difficult to reject and betray them. Practically anyone outside of the Order would've made the same offer.
    One thought I had: it would've made Palpatine look even more villainous (if such a thing is possible) if, just before their duel, Yoda confronted him with the Order 66 murders and how horrible a crime they were, only for Palpatine to cackle back, "Mourn them not, miss them not!"

christophero30 and Darth Baga like this.
  21. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    At face value, Yoda is right about accepting loss. But I don't think he could properly comprehend the nuances of Anakin's concerns without knowing of his secret marriage. Being forced to live a life of secrecy and not being able to receive advice about dealing with unhealthy attachments (without being admonished for having them) lures Anakin to Palpatine.

Regardless of whether it was good advice, the Jedi Order did let down Anakin through zealotry and dogmatism.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  22. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    @devilinthedetails

I can agree to disagree with what Yoda said and my interpretation was very different from yours when I saw the film.

A few points,
    1)
    You overlook several things.
    One, there is a massive war going on and the planet where Padme lives was attacked not long ago. So another attack could happen, her apartment is hit and she is injured. Or she is traveling back to Naboo and her ship is attacked.
    Two, Padme is a senator and the seps could target the senate in order to weaken the Republic. Say place a bomb there to take out the leadership.
    Three, Padme has been the target of assassination's before. Nute Gunray wants her head and he is still alive and could try to kill her.
    Four, Anakin got visions of Shmi being in pain and she died an unnatural death. Now he gets similar visions of Padme so what reason would he have for not thinking that her death is also unnatural?
    Fifth and final, if death in child birth is so rare then does that not suggest that something else, something from the outside, caused Padme's death?

2)
    Again, Anakin had visions of Shmi and she died. So he has his own example, visions = Death.
    And with Shmi he tried to be a good Jedi and ignore it. Until he could not anymore but then he was too late. So there doing nothing did not save Shmi. Anakin could think, "terminal cancer and visions are much the same, certain death."

3)
    Do you think young Anakin asked Obi-Wan or the Jedi if something could be done to free his mother?
    I would think so. What answer would he get? Most likely, "No, we won't help her, let go of your attachment to her."
    So to the Jedi, the danger that Shmi was in, did not matter, they still would not act.
    Obi-Wan knew that Anakin was bothered by bad dreams about his mother and his advice, "Do nothing, dreams pass in time."
    Also, Yoda did not know who Anakin was talking about. If it was Obi-Wan, his life was certainly in danger as he was fighting a war.
    But again that did not matter, standard advice, "Learn to let go."

4)
    If you have an alcoholic that has been told ten times, "Don't drink!" and yet they keep at it. Then they might need something more than just being told "Don't drink!" for the 11th time.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

DARTHLINK likes this.
  23. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Probably this. While Yoda's advice is sound I suspect a parent that just lost a child or a spouse that lost a younger partner might not like hearing that right away. My dad died at 60 years old of a brain tumor and while it wasnt easy at all, the rest of our lives had to go on. Including my Mothers. We will ALL transfer into the force eventually so I guess there is some solace in that if you give it some thought.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  24. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    It's never said or shown in the movies that the jedi teach or act to get rid of of emotion. Yoda, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Mace all are shown to have emotions.

25. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Considering Anakin didn't tell Yoda the situation or the context, can you blame him? If this whole thing was really an issue for Anakin, he could've quit or told them. Putting his fear of admonishion over his wife's life, I think says more about Anakin's pride than Yoda's or the jedis concepts.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021