main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mr. Lucas, you were so close to making me a saga fan.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Boba16, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Somehow I think you're a rarer breed than severian28. Not many old school fans I know praise TPM. I know one -- or two, but that's about it.

2. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Yeah, I agree, although depending on age I know alot people that love TPM, but around my age alot of people hate the PT altogether or just like RotS. I always liked the PT because I always understood it as going backwards to move forwards and when framed in that context its quite obvious that part 3 was going to be the one that appealed to the OT vet. I knew Ep3. was going to be the money film well before TPM came out. Why would I even kid myself? What was most impressive to me about the film was HOW advanced and caught up Lucas became in a relatively short period of time. He basically relearned his craft and had it mastered in five years and made a story ( RotS ) that, to me, was the most relevant in the entire series. I thought it was the best film of its year, I thought its box office reflected that, and not only was it a post-9/11 parable, but it was arguably the best one yet.

3. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    i think you're right.

i like it because it's the one that "feels" like ANH the most to me.

I like the big story events of RotS, the formation of the empire, the clone wars stuff, the jedi deaths ect.

i don't like the duels much, the mace sidious duel is pretty good, the yoda sidious duel is ok, but the kenobi anakin duel is over the top and comes off like a comic book.

worst of all it's supposed to be Anakin and Padme's tragedy and something about the characters made me fail to care about them or what happens to them at all, i just wish they had less screen time.

i know i'm in the minority on the boards, i wonder how i stand compaired to the general more mild fan? we'll never know, they don't post here.

4. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Malikail, I can understand where you're coming from. TPM is not my favorite PT, but it is the most SW-like PT, so it doesn't surprise me to find a few rare folks like yourself who recognize and appreciate that. So why do I recognize that and yet still prefer ROTS? Simple. TPM is boring. It's not bad, but it is boring. ROTS isn't good, but its not boring. In the end, the fact that ROTS entertains me more causes it to win out.

I thought it was the best film of its year, I thought its box office reflected that, and not only was it a post-9/11 parable

Eh? Not sure I follow.

5. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006
    The way I look at the PT is that each film is of the same quality overall, and cause they all great moments that show Lucas strengths as a storyteller and also have the same bad moments that show Lucas weaknesses as a writer and director.

Each PT movie is better to me is because each one gets more in tune to the real story of the PT. TPM is very foreign in a sense of what we all wanted to see concerning the PT, and AOTC is getting there with Kamino and The Clone Wars, and finally ROTS is never boring to watch cause it has everything I waited for since '83. The problem with ROTS is the turn is so bad and unconvincing for me, it just kills the movie from ever being great.

6. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    I can't agree that they are all equal in the sense you say, and could argue the point well, I believe. However, that would be a topic for the PT forum. That being said, if you would like to hear my thoughts on such a debate, link me a thread and I will post them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.