main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ms. Marvel [Disney+ series] (Click thread to embiggen)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gamiel, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm surprised how slowly paced it was. I mean that in a good way- they really let us get to know Kamala before **** inevitably hits the fan.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It actually reminded me a lot of the first issue of Ultimate Spider-Man wherein it's pretty decompressed and getting inside the high school character drama (with some fun fantasy interludes) until the big powers twist happens at the end, and it was nicely antic when that happened.

I thought it was funny when

when at the cosplay contest they mention the girl in the Captain Marvel Swimsuit and sash look as "that's not even accurate" when it's actually incredibly accurate to Carol Danvers' / Ms Marvel's original outfits

[​IMG]

much larger infographic spoiler'd
    [​IMG]

Also the cop at the end is from Spider-Man: No Way Home ("Child endangerment is a nasty rap."), bit of a surprise as I figured since he popped up in a Sony movie he could only be in Sony movie / characters but apparently not.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Green lantern called, says he wants his powers back

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    and introducing Bruce willis as Green lantern

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

Problem solved. :p

I'm too much of a jaded comic book reader to love this Ms. Marvel series to its fullest. I mean, I enjoyed the actual comic book art displayed during the credits than the actual show. Which led me right to the end credit scene.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm like 90% certain that the bangle that is giving Kamala her powers will be revealed to be the Nega Bands (or one of them, or a version of them), literally ended with her saying "Cosmic" so tying into Carol Danvers in outer space Cosmic Captain Marvel.

[​IMG]

Maybe even tying into the Ten Rings which was shown in Shang-Chi to be old and sending a signal, or an offshoot of that. So I buy Feige's general statement that her power change is tied into the larger (space!) MCU story they're telling now.

And I don't think it's entirely because Inhumans TV show as bad and not made by Marvel Studios/Kevin Feige, because y'know Anson Mount just showed up as Black Bolt again in Multiverse of Madness which is probably the craziest acknowledgment that the show actually happened / does exist.

Also, as mentioned, save the stretchy human powers for Reed but we still saw Kamla do an extended power-hand glowy thing grab anyway.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Can I mentioned how incredible the soundtrack is for this show. The original score has to be my favourite piece from the entire Phase 4! It’s just so adventurous and unique, and the cultural music fits in so well.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This was a really great first episode, and I also think "Nega Bands"... there were a lot of credit spaces not used, so I'm interested to see where this goes and how this gets expanded...

Jedi Ben, Jordan1Kenobi and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I absolutely loved this first episode. Kamala's powers are obviously very different from her iteration in the comics and even Kamala herself is not quite the same but I think the show is doing a banger job of capturing and conveying the essence of the character and those origin story comics.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, thinking about this more...

Is the implication that the mom is very against the grandmother's trinkets that the grandmother either was, or was involved with, a superhero -- and that's why she has the band?

Maybe the mom didn't believe the grandmother's stories? Or we'll come to a rapprochement between mom and daughter later on because she finds out it's true?

And just where did Kamala go/see when she first put on the band?

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, not a bad first episode. I wasn't blown away by it, though. It has an odd, dry pacing despite the Scott Pilgrim-like visual flourishes (but, holy crap, that "falling onto the couch to watch TV" camera move was ****ing amazing). Takes a bit to adjust to the tone (which is kind of a "younger Homecoming") and is a little awkward in places (the high school hallway scene early on in particular feels like it was written by someone who doesn't remember what high school was like and decided to watch a movie from the 80's as research, rather than a believable-if-comedic reality). But, by the end, it starts to feel like it's finding its footing and that we'll ultimately be better off for having spent this time getting to know Kamala.

Also, adjusting to the changes from the first couple volumes of the comic also takes some getting used to- but you can recognize the core elements and feel of those comics being repurposed or conveyed in new ways here that allow it to still feel true to them.

In any case, glad to have New Jersey's Avenger* finally making the jump to live action!

*Also cool how they linked that to the NJ backstory for Cap as well, in regards to Avengercon.

EDIT- Oh! and Imani was fantastic. Perfect casting.

You know, it's starting to become apparently that artifacts of various kinds are starting to become a focus of this Phase and may be the basis for things moving forward. These bangles/Nega Bands, the Ten Rings, the Ebony Blade, the Darkhold, etc. Could even extrapolate that out more generally to Cap's shield in FALWIN, the watch in Hawkeye and the various Khonshu/Egyptian artifacts in Moon Knight.

And, looking ahead, there's the reforged Mjolnir in Thor 4 and one can see ways that an artifact of some kind could easily play into Wakanda Forever.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    enjoyed the first episode, the comics I’ve read with the character are exceptionally fun reads, and so far this is doing a decent job of capturing that vibe

how they are depicting her powers will take some getting used to

and yeah the soundtrack is great

Master_Lok and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So the Avengers-con set at Camp Lehigh was a nice touch, wonder when that happened as it's not the place / museum where Issah Bradley and Cap's sheild was on display. also blaring Star Spangled Man was cool. I noticed that the cosplayers included Groot, Drax and Gamora which was nice but I'm not sure how the MCU citizens found out about them as they're Guarding the Galaxy. I think the costume they were selling for Groot was labelled "Tree Man" as they wouldn't know I Am Groot. Probably lots of Battle of Earth bootlegs floating about (sold by the same guy who was selling Battle of New York bootlegs) to find out who they were. And Scott Lang has a podcast so he probably blabbed about all of them, especially Rocket.

Jedi Ben, Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I don't think Scott has his own podcast. Kamala mentioned "Scott Lang's podcast interview" but if you look to the lower right corner of the thumbnail there is a This Powered Life logo. I think that's supposed to be a riff on This American Life, the long-running NPR series hosted by Ira Glass which generally takes deep dives into things or people most likely to be overlooked by society and how they interconnect with or are impacted by big issues.

Master_Lok, Jedi Ben, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  15. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I really liked this reaction because it shows a perspective on the show that I don't and cannot directly have; that of the children of immigrants to the US.

Healer_Leona and Juliet316 like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Along those lines, this react from a former member of The Normies brought in his cousin who is pretty much the exact target demo:

But, as usual, pReview'd's react brought the joy and positivity and shows how the show can connect with viewers' shared experiences even outside of the specific culture being depicted:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    Juliet316 and Bilbo Fett like this.
  17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    It was hard enough watching Marvel as a non-American. Now I have to watch it as a non-Islamic American girl.

18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think the lead actress is terrific , but otherwise I wasn't that involved .

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This was a great start and a very smart adaptation.

As to the whole idea of Avengerscon, it works well. Hawkeye established that a generation has grown up with all kinds of crap going on around them. Plus, Captain America: The Musical. This simple extends those ideas further.

The temporal aspect that they are now delving into sets the films apart from the comics in a very smart way.

20. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Fun introduction, nice little Easter Egg references at AvengerCon.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, of note: it's possible this is reversed: AvengerCon sparks the idea for someone to create Rogers: The Musical, since the Statue of Liberty is clearly shown pre-Cap's Shield renovation in the episode (end credits, about 42 and a half minutes in)...

So this happens clearly before both Spider-Man: No Way Home and Hawkeye...

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

That was rad!

I very much enjoyed this first episode and agree with thee guys about while it looks to be for those younger, I could relate to so much she's going through and feel it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I thought that was more fun than Moon Knight or Obi-Wan Kenobi. The uptight parents/rebellious daughter storyline is well worn territory but I loved the leads and thought they had great chemistry. I look forward to hanging out with these characters again. It was also nice that all the actors on this show can uh...actually act.

Plus the visuals were fresh and more unique than pretty much anything else scene on other Marvel Disney+ shows.

Arwen Sith, Sarge and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Was left cold, but everyone involved in the text/art effects deserves a raise. And probably to go home and see their families.