main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ms. Marvel [Disney+ series] (Click thread to embiggen)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gamiel, Mar 15, 2022.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It being in the end credits does help a lot, actually- those aren’t necessarily showing us the contemporary “now” but just an overall representation of Jersey/Jersey City prior to now/ contemporary “recent” (thus showing how the Statue looked 2 years ago, while Trust a Bro would likely have been in operation 2 years ago as well).

And that’s on top of the general abstraction that the end credits typically bring.

But, if you want to split hairs, there’s also the possibility that the shield hasn’t been re-installed yet but will be in the next month or two.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The shield was just placed during NWH, and immediately came down during the fight.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Weird that this thread isn't getting much activity at all, compared to the other recent D+ Marvel shows. This is the first one of these shows since Loki that I'd really call good so far.

So far the first two episodes have definitely been much more character focused. I hope that, when the main plot stuff comes front and center, it still keeps its level of quality and its overall style and isn't totally crushed under all that weight like WandaVision unfortunately was.

5. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    The problem lies with the fact the episodes are being released the very same day Kenobi's ones.
    Last wednesday Kenobi trended all day in the media, specially Twitter, but Ms. Marvel went in the oposite direction: didn't trend at all, never made to 50 most talked matters of the day.
    It seems people are not really watching or caring about it.
    Friendly fire.

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That scene was so much fun. Loved it!

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But was apparently fixed and reinstalled for public tourism a year later for Hawkeye. Though it’s true that I don’t think Hawkeye specifies that the”new Statue of Liberty” includes the shield, so technically, it doesn’t have to be present after NWH if they decided to not do it again afterwards for some reason- it’s just implied by the context and NWH.

8. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Maybe I'm crazy, but don't Hawkeye and Spider-Man take place around the same time? Infinity War 2018, five year jump to 2023, Peter repeats a school year, FFH summer 2024, and then NWH and Hawkeye December 2024?

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    You all think that Kamala's great grandmother was a Kree?

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A few places have assumed 2024 based on the "first Christmas back together" but that doesn't work. The first episode says that it has been at least 2 years since Clint was last Ronin and he was last Ronin in Oct 2023 for Endgame. That was suppoted by a creative saying it was 2 years after Endgame.

2024 is still possible, in theory- but you would have to stretch and reinterpret the Ronin "years" comment to mean that Ronin hadn't been seen in NYC for 2+ years (and/or take a Solo "Not if you round up" approach :p). It also would means that they fixed the Statue of Liberty in just over a month's time and had it opened to the public as a casual tourist thing to do and not a huge event thing (most of NWH is set in the middle of November).

Joystick Chevron likes this.
  11. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    This was a lot easier when things were just set when they came out. :p

nilzo antonio likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would assume if the credits shots are meant to be canonical, I would say when the Cap Shield fell they didn't replace it because the hate the shield vote was leading.

anyway, fun episode, really sub-plot-y though I felt moreso than any other D+ MCU show I've seen so far, but had a lot of flair (The IllumiAunties is a great line) and Kamala enlivens any sort of subplot with quips and Vellani is fantastic. and Kamala's first big public reveal of her powers had some fun and also unexpected turn at the end.

I'm not sure what Damage Control's job is as they seem to be focused even more on taking down powered individuals when the are mostly a clean up crew. Good usage of the Mysterio Drones style machines, I thought it was a Kree/alien attack at first.

Anyway, Kamala's granny definitely is a space alien, probably a Kree which ties into Captain marvel anyway.

Anyway Iman Vellani throwing out first pitch at a Jays game!

She's from Markham, Ontario, not T Dot but close enough

"I feel like Alpha Flight. I am Alpha Flight. Get Sasquatch in there!"

616 is on Erik Selvig's whiteboard when he's gone crazy in Thor: The Dark World so it could have originated there and eventually worked it's way into Beck's "Script".

Speaking of 616 MCU Universe designation, Iman said she's literally bickering with Kevin Feige about that

13. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Not really feeling this one. Definitely not the target audience. Think I'm going to leave this as a show to binge rather than watch weekly.

14. S. Raw Rats

S. Raw Rats Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2021
    Who's the target audience? I'm a middle-aged non-Muslim man and think this is shaping up to be the most entertaining Disney Marvel show. Iman Vellani is superb.

That said, I do have a sensitive cross-cultural question about the second episode:

How the hell is Jon Bon Jovi the New Jersey Prince? I thought it'd be Springsteen or Frankie Valli.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Springsteen would be "The Boss" or, I assume in this analogy, "the king". Bon Jovi being next in line for the throne.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Middle aged non-Muslim woman and I agree. I thought the target audience was Marvel fans.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think at least a subset of the target audience would have to include big Captain Marvel fans. I'm a huge CM fan so I'm probably part of the target audience.
    Knowing what lies ahead for Ms Marvel in the MCU is another huge part of it.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    T2Q is correct.
    Springsteen is The Boss (aka the top dog); JBJ is The Prince. It's not even close; Springsteen by himself has sold more than 20 million more records than Bon Jovi as a band and The Boss' total is I believe higher than Bon Jovi's including every single solo project the band members did added in.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  19. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    People who are still going through puberty.

I'm not trying to slate the show, I don't think it's bad and Vellani is doing a good job but I just don't think this is a show that I'm likely to get excited about each week, mainly because I haven't for the past fortnight. I think I'll enjoy it more if I just save it up and binge the last four episodes later on.

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  21. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
    FYI:

Personaly i think it was a bad mistake to start airing it while the Kenobi was in its middle of the season and, worst, on the very same day (wednesday).
    Social media wise, the show is surprinsingly dead.
    Next week, with Kenobi finale, i think people will ignore this for good.
    And has little with the quality of the show, but a lot with marketing.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I’m watching each week and am not the target audience; Some of the high school stuff stings, and some is just silly; but that’s how high school is really.

Kamala is delightful, but Nakia had my complete attention until the final scene.

Background building thing: I could have sworn there was a Circle Q in Moon Knight too.

Somehow, I think Kamala’s learning how to drive is basically a mirror for taking control of her life and destiny. And that was much deeper than I anticipated. :D

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    speak for yourself, I think the show is a blast so far

and the comics I’ve read with Kamala Khan are great reads as well, she’s easily one of the cooler new superheroes of the last decade

24. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
    How i said the problem is marketing, not quality.

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I never thought it would do as well as the other shows, cause she’s such a lesser known character compared to Wanda, Loki, Falcon and Hawkeye.

But I’m glad it’s bringing in a more diverse audience who can now feel represented. I think that’s more important than high numbers. I also think once she starts appearing in the films her character will gain an even bigger following and bring viewers back to her show.

Personally I’ve always been a HUGE fan of Kamala in the comics because of how relatable she is. I may be a 27 year old white man, but it’s her geeky, awkward, superhero loving personality that links directly to me. I’m always day dreaming about heroes, and making art and fan fics. I’ve got posters and action figures all over my room. I go to the conventions. She’s literally a young version of me, and I love it!

And it does bring me right back to my high school days as well. She’s in the nerdy unpopular group of friends, but they don’t give a damn because they’re having too much fun. Ahh… the good ol’ days.