main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update for the Week Ending January 28, 2004

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Katya Jade, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I left the forums before you became a moderator, strilo, but I have been called a "mass murderer lover" and told that I "didn't know right from wrong" before.

2. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah, but wasn't that in a political thread?

3. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Nice try, Jim. ;)

No, I can hold my own pretty well in those. :p

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, in general, I think we should be less tolerant of bashing than we are now. If you don't like something, I don't see why you'd want to post about it, especially if it just makes you and everyone else mad. Plus, it's borderline trolling to say on a Star Wars board that such-and-such a thing associated with SW sucks and not give any reason.

How would you define bashing, a_g? I think it's acceptable for a person to say why something is bad or didn't work, if they have reasons, but only if they don't do it excessively or repetitively.

And Jim... don't call me Bath. [face_pias]

5. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    I think it's acceptable for a person to say why something is bad or didn't work, if they have reasons, but only if they don't do it excessively or repetitively.

I agree with you there.

Example of constructive criticism, which should be allowed:

"I didn't like TPM. I thought that Jar-Jar didn't work and the poop jokes were silly."

"I thought the love story should have been done differently. I wasn't convinced that Anakin loved Padme."

"I thought the dialogue was stale and Lucas should have gotten some help with the scriptwriting."

Examples of bashing:

"George Lucas has ugly children."

"Carrie Fisher has saggy boobs."

"George Lucas should never be allowed near another Star Wars movie."

6. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    And Jim... don't call me Bath. [face_pias]

I'll do anything! Just stop pointing that thing at me!

Itoey godo.

7. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Examples of bashing:

"Carrie Fisher has saggy boobs."

That would only be bashing if she didn't have saggy boobs. If she does, then it's only a statement of fact.

Of course, then, you have to define what the criteria for determining if they are "saggy" or not. Hmmm... I sense a possible thread there.

Just kidding. :p ;)

Kimball Kinnison

8. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "George Lucas should never be allowed near another Star Wars movie."

So for stating an opinion one can be banned for that? I agree with that sentence and hope he leaves the Original Trilogy alone after Episode III is done and over with. Will I be banned for this opinion? I doubt it very much. :)

9. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    KK:

That would only be bashing if she didn't have saggy boobs.

It's a mean, nasty statement, even if her boobs are saggy.

Wonder if it's OK for another user to say I have saggy boobs...

Jedi_Learner:

So for stating an opinion one can be banned for that?

You can't be banned simply for stating an opinion, and I'm not suggesting that anyone should. However, why should people be allowed to come to a Star Wars message board and bash, in a non-constructive way that does not invite discussion, Star Wars movies and their creator?

Criticism that invites discussion--example, "I don't think Lucas did a very good job directing the prequels"--is one thing. Bashing and meanness is another.

10. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    You can't be banned simply for stating an opinion, and I'm not suggesting that anyone should.

But...

However, why should people be allowed to come to a Star Wars message board and bash, in a non-constructive way that does not invite discussion, Star Wars movies and their creator?

...isn't that exactly what you are saying here?

11. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    It's a mean, nasty statement, even if her boobs are saggy.

No its not. Its an opinion. Opinions are your friends.

Wonder if it's OK for another user to say I have saggy boobs...

That would be flaming, since it is from user to user. User to celeb. is okay.

12. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    No, that isn't.

DarthOlsenTwins, can you not state an opinion, even a negative opinion, without bashing?

There is a way to do that.

To give you another example--on my last job, I heard one of the assistant principals talking to a student about this subject. He said, "You may think I'm ugly--but you keep it to yourself."

This is my point. It's called manners and decency, and thinking before you post.

Exactly what are you accomplishing, for example, by saying that Carrie Fisher has saggy boobs or George Lucas has ugly kids? You certainly aren't inviting discussion. Maybe you want to start a hatefest in which a bunch of howler monkeys throw excrement and scream "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Let's lynch Lucas' ugly kids!"

This is far different from a discussion in which, for example, Jedi_Learner might say, "I think Lucas didn't do a very good job directing the first two prequels and he should get someone else to direct Episode III." That invites discussion. People can agree and elaborate, or they can disagree and argue.

Do you see the difference?

Sam:

No its not. Its an opinion.

I don't think you'd be quite so dismissive if someone made a derogatory comment about your looks.

User to celeb. is okay.

But why? Are celebrities not people? Do they cease to have feelings because they are famous?

13. Sam_Skywalker

Jul 30, 2003
    I don't think you'd be quite so dismissive if someone made a derogatory comment about your looks.

Actually, it would be laughable since no one on this site has seen me. But if I chose to get in a metal bikini on an extremely popular movie, I open myself to to those types of remarks

But why? Are celebrities not people? Do they cease to have feelings because they are famous?

They are, but I seem to remeber hearing you say you wanted to burn Rush Limbaugh. So i think this is about SW celebs.

14. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Yes, it is about Star Wars celebs. This is a Star Wars site, and while I think it might be too much for the mods to protect all celebs, I don't think it's too much for there to be a rule against slamming Star Wars celebs.

Is it your opinion that everyone who goes out in public in few clothes should be fair game for derogatory comments?

As far as me wanting to burn Rush Limbaugh--dig up the post and I'll concede, but I don't recall saying that--and if I did, it was in response to his saying that all people of my religious belief system should be burned.

15. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    So it's okay to want to kill people (real people, mind) you dislike and state that, but no one can say anything negative about a fictional character? That's pretty disgusting, imo.

16. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Ignant: You ignored a lot of my posts.

I don't think it's OK to want to kill Rush Limbaugh, but it's not like I would have never made a mistake in what I said, especially if Limbaugh said "All witches are devil worshippers". I'm still waiting for Sam to bring up the post.

I even conceded that it would be OK to bash Anakin Skywalker--if and only if it is also OK to bash EU characters. To say that one character deserves protection and another doesn't is hypocrisy, pure and simple.

Now, I admitted that--even if I really said it, which I don't think I did--I made a mistake. I'm waiting for the bloodthirsty Anakin-haters to admit they made a mistake in calling me a "mass murderer lover" and someone who doesn't know right from wrong.

But I won't hold my breath.

17. Sam_Skywalker

Jul 30, 2003
    Is it your opinion that everyone who goes out in public in few clothes should be fair game for derogatory comments?

No, but unless that person is very dense, they know the possibility of criticism, whichj makes them partly to blame.

As far as me wanting to burn Rush Limbaugh--dig up the post and I'll concede, but I don't recall saying that--and if I did, it was in response to his saying that all people of my religious belief system should be burned

Well, i didn't find the burn but I did find a comment about "despicable person" Here

Anyway, my purpose is not to point the finger at anyone, but to prove my point that I simply do not believe there is anything wrong with a couple jabs at a sW celeb. They are not flawless. [Bilbo]It was just a bit of fun[/Bilbo]

18. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    That's a far cry from "burn" or wanting to kill him.

No, but unless that person is very dense, they know the possibility of criticism, whichj makes them partly to blame.

That doesn't make it OK. I don't even think it makes them partly to blame. That's like saying that if a woman wears a miniskirt and a cropped top on a date and gets raped, she should have known it would happen and it isn't the rapist's fault.

I think this site should protect Star Wars celebrities. It's a matter of respect.

19. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    But only SW celebs?

20. Sam_Skywalker

Jul 30, 2003
    I don't even think it makes them partly to blame. That's like saying that if a woman wears a miniskirt and a cropped top on a date and gets raped, she should have known it would happen and it isn't the rapist's fault.

Now wait, violence against a person is different. Much so. And if she does, then if the guys comment on her boobs (negative or ortherwise) in private, then it is partly her fault for flaunting herself, iMO.

21. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Ignant: This is a Star Wars site.

Sam:

And if she does, then if the guys comment on her boobs (negative or ortherwise) in private, then it is partly her fault for flaunting herself, iMO.

I'd love to see this argument regarding a guy walking around with no shirt on. Would never happen. [face_plain]

News flash: it's not "flaunting herself". It's 95 degrees in July where I live. It's called "keeping cool."

22. Sam_Skywalker

Jul 30, 2003
    News flash: it's not "flaunting herself". It's 95 degrees in July where I live. It's called "keeping cool."

Ive heard that argument way too many times to believe it. It gets hot here too. Try again

23. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    I won't try again--because that's why I dress that way, and you have no business telling me any differently.

Why do you take your shirt off in the summer?

24. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    How is it that every argument with you come down to you accusing someone forcing you to do something that you don't want to? Seriously, this is a disturbing pattern.

25. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Because I'm a woman, Jim, and people try to do that pretty often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.