main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

MS Update for Week Ending 6/25/03

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "We are listening, and we do care what people have to say."

Have the mods who disagree with this rule raised the users objections and their own with Josh?
    If/when that happens, I'll start to believe you YodaJeff, but only little bit ;)

Genghis: Thanks for your honesty on personally not agreeing with the "WTF" thing the other day, I appreciate it. There needs to be mods mods willing to come to Comms and go to bat like that.

That being said:

[blockquote]***DA's Public Service Announcement***[/blockquote]
    Anytime anyone see's the abbreviation "WTF" in a post I make from now on, it stands for "What the funk" and not (as may be commonly mistaken) for "What the ****". It's my belief that "What the funk" is different enough to "What the ****" to be deemed legal by the minority owner and in the eyes of the almighty,

2. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i'm still negotiating with the frisbee people, brother humble.

The Good Reverend should also know that since i have decided that 'frisbee' now means '****', he better create another sorry rule that forbids the word 'frisbee' from being posted, because it's obvious that 'frisbee' means '****'.

frisbee this shingle. OMGLOLO!!1

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Have the mods who disagree with this rule raised the users objections and their own with Josh?

Dude. You were a mod yourself 2 weeks ago. The rule has been around since before I joined this place.

If you felt this strongly about the swearing acronyms, why did you not try to do something about it a fortnight ago when you had a direct line of communication with Josh via the Modsquad? :)

4. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    good luck with that PIAS, free advertising on such a popular and family friendly website such as this is worth its weight in gold, don't settle for anything less than a real frisbee

5. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    "The rule has been around since before I joined this place"

The rule wan't enforced the entire time I was a mod here.
    Why would I bring attention to something I felt was a fine and dandy (if somewhat sly) arrangement for all parties? ?[face_plain]

Although from the way you stepped my question, I'll assume the answer at this point is "no" jp ;)

Edit: And your "frisbee" gambit sounds dangerously similar to a past incident involving snak attacks and forceboats PiaS. How did that turn out again?

6. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
  7. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I have a snak and two corralskippers

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > The rule wan't enforced the entire time I was a mod here.

Then you weren't paying attention properly in class, my friend.

9. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    : And your "frisbee" gambit sounds dangerously similar to a past incident involving snak attacks and forceboats

its forceboat not forceboats for starters...

forceboat never ment anything wrong, its just a boat of force.

and what 3 people chose to have a little fun with the board is not going to end it considering it took over 6+ months for people to even come close to figuring it out and no one has ever even said what it actualy replaces.

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    SoK...
    "I have a snak and two corralskippers"

I prefer to call them a Dooku and his twin jango's.

PiaS...
    That's the spirit. I'll be the first one to petition the Modsquad to allow you to abbreviate "frisbee off" as "fo." As long as you don't change your sig, then send me a PM sometime around July 10, 2009 as a reminder and I'll get right on it. But, like I said before, I can't promise you anything. I hope you understand.

DA...
    Please allow us to see how the community accepts allowing PiaS (when and if it occurs) to use "fo" as an abbreviation before you petition anyone to use "wtf" as an abbreviation for "what the funk." He was the first one in to use as a test case. Thanks.

11. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    what AA said about teh forceboat. which is why i didn't quite get what DA was trying to say.

genghis,
    sorry but i have plans for july 10, 2009. and i refuse to abbreviate the word 'frisbee'. i have scruples.
    until The Good Reverend goes completely nutty and bans the word 'frisbee', i will use it. besides, 'fo' sould only be used along with the words 'sho', 'shizzle', 'fizzle', 'nizzle', and 'dizzle'.

12. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    pardon, but I seem to have lost the thread of the conversation. This could, of course, be a side-effect of listening to Eminem all day.

But if you're substituting in "frisbee" for rhymes-with-suck, then how is it different than asterisks? If everyone knows that every time you write "frisbee" you mean rhymes-with-suck, why not just write ****?

or, is this an attempt to expose the [bleep]of the Staff? Frankly, it's been exposed. Why keep poking at it?

EDIT2: Quix, you are completely correct.

13. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    The rule wan't enforced the entire time I was a mod here.

DA, you only resigned a couple weeks ago. This argument has come up a number of times during the time you were a mod. It came up during the spring I know that. So, you were a mod.

14. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    But if you're substituting in "frisbee" for rhymes-with-suck, then how is it different than asterisks? If everyone knows that every time you write "frisbee" you mean rhymes-with-suck, why not just write ****?

Subtle flames aren't allowed any more than direct ones are...

15. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    he is right you know, don't worry though sweety, i have an issue that you can sink your teeth into:

"Is it immoral to legislate morality?"

or perhaps you will like this one better:

what project should i put my efforts into
    a). getting my recipe for the Fisherman's Horse published in reputable cooking magazine
    or
    b). writing a proper script for my fabio vehicle, "the Handsome Slave"?

16. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    DDH: Absolutely, I don't deny that it has been discussed ad nauseum over the past 2 years.

Enforcing the outcome of a discussion is a different matter. I honestly can't recall seeing an instance of "WTH" being edited.

17. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Now that's just petty.

And does the supposed enforcement of this(other then mods trying to make a point in comms threads) extend to FF?

No reason, just asking.

18. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    //rolleyes.gif

Round of applause for the mod who can edit peoples posts and make an ass (< allowed list word? ?[face_plain] ) of himself in the process!

C'mon, let's hear it!

Edit: So we can't even post "WTF" in debate over it's merits now?

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Sure you can. I was also making a point.

One lost though on you and Farraday.

// shrugs //

Carry on...

20. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    "looc atmie Im a mdo!!!!!"

or maybe it was

"Teheheh I editted your pooost yaaay I'm smrter then uuuu"

Either way, point well made.

<eyeroll.gif>

In the future I suggest you think out your object lesson before doing them.

Or you know just continue to do whatever the hell you feel like in comm without regard to anyone else. Whichever works for you.

21. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    [face_laugh]

If you're gonna edit "WTF" in Comms from now on, make a clean sweep of it and show us some backbone and consistency jp. I won't even get upset with you, I promise.

This perfectly illustrates my point about the administrations selective enforcement of this stupid and short sighted rule.

If you're gonna do it, do it
    Don't be half arsed (< part of a common phrase, not deemed offensive, allowed list word? ?[face_plain] ) about it! ;)

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Oh for goodness sake you two.

DA. You claimed mods never enforced the rule. That's not true, and I've been doing it since the day I started as a mod - any Games regular will attest to that.

Instead of trawling through my forum to show you that WTF is enforced, and has been by myself (and many other mods) during your tenure as a mod I decided to illustrate this right here in the thread.

If you want to try and make that action into some kind of statement, be my guest. here's some help;

"OMG Mod continues to enforce years old rule rule! :eek: "

23. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    i agree with everything PiaS has said. in fact, i agree with everything he has ever said. he's an awesome d00d. his awesomenessness is never ending...

NEVAR.

carry on.

24. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    jp-30, I miss where taking action contrary to the mods policy on the discussion just because you didn't want to go through the 2 minute effort of finding a post out of comm where it had been editted is supposedly a good thing for you.

But hey you got to edit another post I'm sure you're happy.

In the future I would suggest putting a weeeee bit more effort into it a weeeeee bit less useless annoying action.

25. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    "Instead of trawling through my forum to show you that WTF is enforced, and has been by myself (and many other mods) during your tenure as a mod I decided to illustrate this right here in the thread."

So what do you want? A handshake and a small novelty gift for being lazy and editing a post that didn't need to be edited? Maybe you had a point to make but doing so made you look like an arrogant mod who had to cheat to win an extra debating point or something. A link would have sufficed.

So now that you've had ample time to find a specific instance in our own forum, feel free to replace and remove the material you changed and added to my post anytime. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.