main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update for Week Ending 6/25/03

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Except the point I was refering to was you saying the disallowing of slash fiction was completely up to Josh' tatse and compeltely seperate from morality.

Please explain that, although if you're interuppted by frequent bursts of laughter, forgive me ahead of time.

But Josh's decision - the decision itself - to allow slash or not allow slash is in no way a moral or immoral decision.

This is, of course, Bull<Sith Anagram here>.

You compeltely ignore whatever rationle He used to make the decision as well as his own views on the subject. While I udnerstand it makes it mroe convient for you to assume he makes all decisions in a bubble, or in fact he doens't make them at all but they are instead made by a computer program only considering the numerical gains and losses each decision might cause, but quite frankly to think so is a form of self delusion.

2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Please, please, explain what the hell your last post had to do with anything?

Allow me to try to interpret. :) Although, given that you just insulted Genghis? grasp of linguistics, I?m surprised to see you already admitting to having linguistic difficulties yourself. ?[face_plain]

You said: ?Heh Genghis, because morality and taste are so incredibly seperate??

(Incidentally, and maybe having spelled my name Gandolf I?m not one to talk, but you spelled separate incorrectly.)

To you statement, Genghis replied: There is substantial difference between taste and morality.

In this statement, he gives his opinion, which is different from that which you seem to have. Whereas you appear to think taste and morality are not separate ideas (Genghis and I are assuming you were sarcastic in your statement), Genghis does believe that they were separate ideas.

Then Genghis said: Discussing the merits of genocide is far different from discussing the merits of the worth of a wet T-shirt contest.

Here, Genghis provides examples to support his statement. The first is a matter or morality (genocide is bad), while the second is a matter of taste (are wet t-shirt contests bad?).

Then Genghis finished with: I would like to thank you in advance for educating yourself on the differences between morality and taste before posting on the topic again. thx.

Here, Genghis asks that you be careful to not say something silly.

Happy to help translate Genghisese. :)

3. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    To argue that moderating the complete obscurring of "***" versus allowing the abbreviation to stand without censoring has anything to do with morality is wholly wrong.

I think farraday wasn't referring to the moderating of that phrase, but the reason behind the mandate coming down from Josh. The mandate then leads to the subsequent moderation by the staff here.

Ultimately, only Josh can speak to whether or not his personal morals play any part in the policies he sets here.

4. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Gandolf please let me attempt to help you educate yourself.

Why are wet t shirt contest in bad taste?

Furthermore are you saying talking about genocide is immoral?

Or is Star Wars immoral for showing the destruction of Aldderran? Or was that in bad taste? Oh was there a moral problem with Padme's nipply tatooine experience? Or was that just in bad taste? And if so why?

Trya nd explain to my how what we find in bad taste is completely seperate from morality. Please do that.

5. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Why are wet t shirt contest in bad taste?

Whether they are in good or bad taste is a matter of personal opinion. Why don?t some people think wet t-shirt contests are in good taste? Good question. Why is belching at a formal dinner in bad taste? Why is wearing blue jeans, and old t-shirt and a pair of sandals to a black-tie event in bad taste?

Furthermore are you saying talking about genocide is immoral?

No, I?m saying that killing millions of people in a go is immoral. Try reading peoples posts before making wild accusations.

6. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Well I must disagree with your interpritation then, because Genghis said discussing the merits of genocide where you're talking about performing it.

And he also mentioend dicussing wet t shirt contests, which would be in bad tsate I suppose, but then again it might be immoral if it's suppsoed to be discussing the merits of genocide thats in bad taste.

He was doing a comparison wasn't he?

And I wonder of course if you're defending his statement that the diallowing of homosexulaity is a matetr of taste compeltely seperate from morality in your blanket defense of a fellow mod, or if you'll atleast recognize a difference between bad taste, ie. belching, and bad taste, ie. homosexuality.

7. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "It's his personal preference which lies outside the sphere of morality."

I doubt that Rev. Griffin considers personal choice to be outside the sphere of his prefered morality.

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    farraday...
    Allow me to hopefully put this in terms you could perhaps understand.

"He was doing a comparison wasn't he?"

Since you are unable to understand the difference between genocide and a wet t-shirt contest, let me try a technical comparison - something you've admitted is within my sphere of knowledge.

A matter of taste is deciding whether or not a building should be painted blue or brown based on aesthetics.

A matter of morality is whether or not I should approve a design of that building that I know won't stand up in even the mildest of wind or occupancy.

I hope to God you realize there's a difference in nature between the two.

The moderation of an anonymous Star Wars fan internet message board according to the arbitrary standards of the anonymous Star Wars fan internet message board's owner is wholly a matter of taste.

And I will have to rescind my earlier advance thanks to you since you obviously haven't taken the proper steps to educate yourself on the issues of morality and taste. Sorry about that.

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    wait, josh is a preacher?

i have got to pay more attention

10. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Genghis only you and the poor moderators and members tasked with defending your outragues comments will pretend banning homosexual fanfiction is a matter of aesthetics.

Please though continue your rather sad attempts at linguistic liguini, I'm sure most members find it interesting to hear Josh doesn't find homosexual fanfics immoral he just finds them ugly.

And once again you're pretending discussing genocide or a wet t shirt contest is the same as doing it.

Would you like a shovel to help you dig or is it easier with both feet in your mouth?

11. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

Good God, just delete the Fanfic section and be done with it.

Who needs 3rd rate Sci-Fi tat masquerading as Star Wars anyway? We have EU for that.

UKS

12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Gandolf the Grey and Genghis12, I'd suggest you quit while you're behind. You only look more and more foolish with each post.

13. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Who needs 3rd rate Sci-Fi tat masquerading as Star Wars anyway?

I take it you've never read fan fiction. A lot of it is better than the books.

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    farraday...
    "And once again you're pretending discussing genocide or a wet t shirt contest is the same as doing it."

No, I'm not. You are the one actually doing this.

I'm saying the discussion of anything on an anonymous internet Star Wars fan message board is a completely different matter from doing it.

The analogy was that the moderation of this site - i.e. the control of written electronic communication on a private website - could be compared to Nazis the Nuremburg judges were investigating for crimes against humanity.

YOU were the one suggesting that taste and morality were just merely semantics. You are wrong.

There is so very much difference between the two which you do not seem to recognize.

15. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    You're the one who is drawing no line betwenn aesthetic taste and what I suppose could be described as moral taste.

If you find homosexual acts distasteful it isn't because they're the wrong colour.

In short you're making a false analogy.

If Josh not wanting homosexual fanfic on his site is a matter of taste it isn't aesthetic taste as you claim.

Unless of course what you're saying is homosexuals look bad, or smell bad or taste bad or are rude or something along those lines.

In reality however you've been wrong from the start, the reasons Josh have agreed with for not allowing homsexual fanfic do nto include his personal preference.

Unless of course you speak for him now?

And for what I hope is the last time, you're initial post bringing up wet t shirt contests and genocide was Discussing the merits of genocide is far different from discussing the merits of the worth of a wet T-shirt contest.

I would presume then that since you keep denying it your position is "respond to what I mean, not what I say".

16. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

Oh Liz, I've read a LOT of fanfic, (more then I ever care to admit), and I stand by my assessment.

A "family friendly" site, needs to avoid a lot of adult issues, of which homosexuality is one, and as such, I cannot see the great loss in not having it.

Star Wars is a kids film, for kids. I just think Josh wants his site to reflect this.

UKS

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Good God, just delete the Fanfic section and be done with it.

Who needs 3rd rate Sci-Fi tat masquerading as Star Wars anyway? We have EU for that.

UKS

:mad: Don't you dare think about that. There are many talented authors in that forum and I might add it is one of the most busiest forums on this board. And as Liz Skywalker said some fan fiction is better than some EU novels

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That's enough, please. Continued discussion of the fan fiction policy is unacceptable. It is a closed subject, and if the thread continues this way, I'll lock it when I get home a bit later.

19. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I've read a LOT of fanfic, (more then I ever care to admit), and I stand by my assessment

then, on behalf of fic writers everywhere, I apologize for Mary Sues, OOCness, and the bad fics we posted before we knew what we were doing. I apologize for self-insertions, bad characterizations, and blatant rip-offs of established canon. I apologize for every time Luke is described as whiny, I apologize for every fic that paints Mon Mothma in a bad light. I apologize for every cliched comparison and every overused phrase.

In short, I apologize for fan fiction.

20. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Move along, closed issue, nothing to see here...

And yet another issue is quietly ignored and swept under the Mod Squad's rug. Good going guys! :)

21. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    well, ignored? I don't think so. the original question posed was about asterisked cuss words. and that, I believe, was answered. That is the way it is here. So many think that if they yell loud enough and long enough, it's gonna change. Well, it isn't going to change. That is the way it is, just the same as a single full moon on earth, not binary moons of Tatooine. everything else just became a wider shouting war....... [face_plain]

22. AssassinDroid21

Jun 6, 2002
    Actually, you've just added on to my previous post. I was referring to the Slash discussion being ignored, but the other issue at hand before was of course ignored also.

Thanks for pointing that out, regardless of the " [face_plain] " at the end.

23. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Move along, closed issue, nothing to see here..."

There was nothing here in the first place. Maybe now we can go to discuss something of interest perhaps? :confused:

24. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    sowwy, AD21, but I got "lost" in the arena at times. [face_plain] :p

25. AssassinDroid21

Jun 6, 2002
    There was nothing here in the first place. Maybe now we can go to discuss something of interest perhaps?

How in the hell can you honestly say nothing was here in the first place? 3 pages of discussing an issue and you say there was nothing here? Sorry to act mod-like for a minute, but if you don't like what we're discussing, then please stop posting here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.