main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update for Week Ending 6/25/03

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    "God condemns homosexuality."

Where in the bible does it say that?
    The Church is who condemns sexuality no where in the bible does it say God does.
    Find me a passage and prove me wrong.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Very simply, here are some alternative phrases to use that are better than the originals...

Kiss my ***! == Kiss my grits!
    What the ****? (or WT*) == Great googly-moogly!
    Holy ****! == Shave my poodle!
    ***** ****** == Jeebus!
    LM*AO! == GLAMGOC!

Please feel free to come up with your own.

And, as always, please remember...

"All you [female parental unit sex offenders] are gonna pay, You are the ones who are the [lickers of a portion of male genetalia]. We're gonna [sex act] your mothers while you watch and cry like little [female dogs]. Once we get to Hollywood and find those Miramax [plural sex acts] who are making that movie, we're gonna make 'em eat our [poop], then [ibid] out our [ibid], then eat their [ibid] which is made up of our [ibid] that we made 'em eat. Then you're all [active tense of sex act] next."

- Love, Jay and Silent Bob

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "Very simply, here are some alternative phrases to use that are better than the originals..."

But all those alternative phrases imply the same thing as the original statement, just like "WTF" implies the same thing as it's original statement, so all those alternative statements (or at least the ones representing banned words or phrases) should also be banned. Ridiculous, no?

Amazing.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    But all those alternative phrases imply the same thing as the original statement, just like "WTF" implies the same thing as it's original statement, so all those alternative statements (or at least the ones representing banned words or phrases) should also be banned. Ridiculous, no?

I fail to see how anyone might derive "Holy ****" from "Great googly-moogly!"

Kiss my grits -- yes, I can see that. Shave my poodle... um, no. Nothing to derive there...

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    And to add further on AmazingB's point, mocking Jesus Christ with "Jeebus" will have you burning in Hell with eternal damnation, but is entirely fine to post here.

Besides, we can only ban you, not damn your soul to the depths of Hell or send you to Purgatory as the case may be.

But, I admit, it would be a nice manager tool to have. I really could have used a "Send Soul to Burning Hell for Eternal Damnation" with a few serial trolls like the train guys. Lacking that admin feature, we simply had to settle for Darth Ludicrous contacting their system administrator. Maybe we can get zerosleep to work on getting that tool added.

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    No offense, but how did we stray this far? I appreciate everyone's religion, beliefs, or lack thereof, but enough is enough. I see that for some folks we'll never be able to offer up an explanation in the wording that will suit them. And some people totally get it, they may or may not like it, but they move on. And others, well, they just like to debate no matter what's in the MS update. But the topic of religion is really going way beyond the scope of things, don't you think? I think we're crystal clear on what's allowed and not allowed. Can we please move on? Go to your favorite forum and post. It's much more enjoyable than all of this. Talk about Star Wars. What a novel idea for a Star Wars messageboard.

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Whoops. Didn't see Sape's post.

Amazing.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because you just told everyone what it means. If I start using a word to imply "****" it's no different than using "WTF" to imply "What the ****" except I'd know what it means. That's the problem with banning words/phrases/acronyms that are merely used to imply swearing.

They're not equal (despite the "==") -- they're just alternative phrases one could use in place of the offensive words.

9. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    So have the mods actually taken any of the no slash rule arguements into consideration at all or is it something J*sh has ultimate say over?

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Josh has final say over all things here if he wants it. This is his rule above all else, so do keep that in mind.

11. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i'm still wondering how and why his turned into a theological debate...

anyhoo,

could someone tell me how 'what the ****?' is any different than 'WTF?', other than one is allowed and the other isn't. and if you're gonna try and say that the latter implies a specific word and the former doesn't then you're not too bright.

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Because you can't prove it implies anything. What the ***** could mean hell and I couldn't have grounds to disagree. It's all case-by-case, as always.

13. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    common sense should tell you that it implies the F word. how many people asterisk out the word 'hell'?

i think you know as well as anyone else that it is most likely the F word under those asterisks.

and if you want to look at it that way, then what's to say that the F in 'wtf' doesn't stand for 'frisbee'? common sense tells you what that F really stands for, just like common sense tells you what the 4 asterisks stand for in 'what the ****'.

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Pias...
    If you want to go ahead and get say 4-5 years worth of posting under your belt of using "what the frisbee" as your "gimmick" - your signature comment - then I'm sure that in about say 2008 or 2010, the administration might be open to allowing you to use "wtf" in place of writing out "what the frisbee."

After all, we certainly have an open mind about the application of our rules. ;)

But just so you know, that would probably be a special case just for you. And I won't guarentee anything right now.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Some people don't curse at all and so ******* could mean "hell" to them.

16. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    could someone address amazing's point? cos, for the interests of consistency here we should at least start banning other substitutions ....

an example for you:

I often say "yeah!!" note the two exclamation marks after the "yeah"...when what i really am trying to say is ******* A! but in the intersts of being polite i don't....however i will admit that is what i am trying to say, and rather than being dishonest i will admit to my shameful attempt to circumnavagate the TOS

17. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    And the F in the WTF could mean freak, Sape. Unlike What the Frisbee, What the Freak is a real phrase.

"Can we please move on? Go to your favorite forum and post. It's much more enjoyable than all of this. Talk about Star Wars. What a novel idea for a Star Wars messageboard."

Go back to bed, JC, your moderators are in control.

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    so type out what the freak...

Or type what the ****

19. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    anywho, completely off-topic, can someone tell me why NarundiJedi has a title? and a pic title, to boot. She isn't BB, so I'm a mite confused.

20. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I think she was in the BB game, and had enough points to get the title for a while when she got evicted.

21. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    ah. I hadn't known it extended and since there wasn't anything in her sig or bio about it....

22. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    genghis, you just pulled my string. 'frisbee' it is. mwahahalololo etc. etc.

frisbee a buncha contradictory, unreasonable, and senseless overzealous censoring of already censored words.

i move for a blanket banning of the letter F.

23. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    so can we say uck you?

24. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    PIAS, don't forget to acknowledge the trademark of Frisbee

25. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    "Mother pus-bucket" and "Monkey trumpets" are personal favorites of mine. See Ghostbusters and Futurama respectively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.