main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update MS Update March 15, 2006

Discussion in 'Communications' started by droideka27, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Ah, even so. Admins do have "the power" so that you do not get "entrapped" with a requested PM chapter.

EDIT:

Erm, wait: Advertising of PM chapters is done all the time. Is this a no-no? I really need to know for my own info, here!

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    If it's an unsolicited PM, then yeah, that's against the rules. If it's a reminder about a meeting (fanforce), an update of a story you are writing, or any other group that you "subscribe" to then that is permissable.

If someone baits you into breaking the rules in a PM then you will still be in trouble. Being "entrapped" doesn't really serve as an excuse.

3. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    On that note, we were on the same page, then. Just a miscommunication.

It's a few other places we disagree. And now, I need to go back to RL for a while.

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Should anything inappropriate be found it will be treated in exactly the same way as if you had posted it anywhere on the boards.

Let me clarify that we only check the pm on the situation reported to us. If you've been getting harrassing pm's from a user, we ask that you give us a date and time, and if you want, an excerpt. This includes a one time flame or a series of pm's that may be an argument that you feel has gotten out of control or you were flamed or some other pm violation occured in the pm. (i.e. a debate taking place over pm and it turns nasty, we'll check both parties pm's via sent and recieved of the user charged to make sure it wasn't instigated and we treat it fairly)

If you request a PM chapter of a fic, you requested it and unless you report it (which why would you do if you requested it?) it doesn't get read. We don't randomly check pm's and even when checking pm's for harassment, we stick STRICTLY to the pm's relevant to the situation.

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

[face_whistling] Ummmm..... [face_whistling]

I think this is one of those *grey* areas...

In the four plus years I've written/read fan fic, PM chapters by request have always been the 'way it was'. It's never sent unsolicited, and would be a shame if this situation were to change.

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    In theory, the exact same rules apply to PMs, yes. But since we don't go check random PMs to see if you say the s-word or something, you can very very easily get away with it. Unless you're being reported by a person that didn't really want a PM like that :)

And of course don't do it in response to a mod warning :p

7. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I just pulled this one to respond to the others that said esentially the same thing. *shrugs*

I disagree entirely. It isn't much trouble at all. The code is already written for blocking PMs from a user--it's the 5 unread PMs code. It would take about 15 minutes to write code that would take advantage of this function and allow for a direct "user-ban". The only other thing that would be required would be a "ban" button to activate that code. Admitedly, it would take a bit more effort (about 30 min to an hour depending on how the code is written around her) to set up an "unblock" version but it wouldn't be terribly difficult.

Now, if the argument is that any trouble is more trouble than it's worth, I can't (won't) argue that point. I merely brought it up as a resolution to this larger issue of unwanted PMs. I get them all the time. I report virtually none of them. Why? It's just not a big deal to me. If I get a PM I don't appreciate, I usually open it and then move on. I've had some pretty nasty PMs come my way but I choose not to let them bother me. That being said, I'm an adult and have learned how to deal with problems like these. I think the concern was that we're talking about teenagers in the age-group of 13-15 who may or may not have learned how to deal with these things. Giving them a tool to combat these kinds of problems would only serve to empower them in case they are too scared to go to a Mod. Is that worth a little trouble? I think so, but that's just one man's opinion.

As for the current system working quite well right now, I think the fact that we're having this discussion would lead us to at least admit that there might be some holes in said system.

EDIT: I just noticed that malkie said that you all can't modify board code. I guess the course of action would be to discuss this idea among the mods/users and if it's decided that it's worth it, add it to the list of changes/updates for the person responsible for board coding. I'm sure s/he has quite a bit to work on but I promise you that this type of thing is small potatoes...

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Actually, you'll find that it is greatly more difficult than you think it is. The number of tendrils a modification like this would require in a piece of board software (that is dependent on how intensive and far-reaching you'd like it to be) make it a nightmare to create (or remove). The current block on sending PMs is one that is dependent on a simple check that looks at a specific part of the board database. An entirely separate function for it would require alterations to the user data tables to include for the storage of all the preferences, coding of the interfaces required to do both addition and removal, and checks to ensure that no moderators are added to the list. That last bit can be difficult depending on the way in which moderator status is controlled (which from experience with IGNBoards is not the simplest way).

9. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    My understanding is that IGN's code is proprietary and we just plain aren't allowed to touch it without a developer's license from them--or at least that's what happened with JM-Anakin-Solo back in the day.

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    From the day I joined, the only person who's been our contact and informed us of changes he's made or who's taken our requests is Brian Claridge who is zerosleep on these boards. We have no access to the code.

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Correct. zerosleep is the developer and programs all changes into IGN code. The "block" button is something he would have to do, and would probably have to be done through the larger IGN system. Something I'm not sure he can do right now with everything he has, especially since sending a PM to a user or mod if they don't comply is simpler.

12. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    That's really too bad, it sounded like a great idea. At least there is the five unopened PMs thingy, though. Thank you for taking time to explain in detail.

13. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Dingo, I take your point that it's not necessarily as trivial as I make it sound but it really isn't that hard either. My suggestion about the 5 PM limit code was merely to point out that the coding is possible and not necessarily all that difficult. As I said earlier, the question isn't "can it be done?" but "should it be done?"

So we agree that zerosleep's the guy to do it, and that he may or may not have the time. What I haven't heard is that we'll ask him or suggest that it be put on his "to do" list. Speculation about the man's workload or how difficult a task like this is, is pointless. Since there is only one person authorized to do it then that one person is the only one who should be asked about the feasibility. No matter how impressed I am with my own coding abilities, it makes no difference whatsoever. Now if we think it's a dumb idea and we shouldn't even pursue it, fine. I'll shut my mouth and go back to my cave. If we think it's a good idea, however, then I'd like to know if we're going to actually ask zerosleep.

Thanks! :D

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Zerosleep's work isn't limited just to this board though. He has a huge list of way more important things to work on, on the IGN boards. Even something you may find easy to code, probably would go at the far bottom of his list.

15. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    couple of points - it's my understanding that if something changes at IGN, then it changes here too (either directly, or indirectly) Basically, if zerosleep changes something at IGN, it changes here too.

second point - iirc zerosleep doesn't work for IGN anymore - he basically works freelance for them now on a job to job basis.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I told myself I wasn't going to even check Comms anymore, but old habits die hard, I guess.

I just wanted to say that as far as I have experienced with the administration, harrassment is something looked into very seriously. As for e-predators, I myself was involved in dealing with one a little over a year ago, a situation that spilled over into FanForce, non-JC boards, and even real life, when the user in question started calling at least one other user incessantly. We took that seriously, but we weren't omniscient; it took several users corroborating PMs and other details before we were sure what we were dealing with. I can't be more specific than that, obviously, but it is something taken seriously, as long as the administration has the needed and correct information. That doesn't necessarily mean that the administration will rule on the situation the same way you did, but from what I remember, situations like this weren't dealt with frivolously.

Re: Marakin. Squicks me, so I don't read it. I did happen to check out that particular story--because it was the first one I'd seen and I went "What's this doing here?"--and while I'm not personally comfortable with it, it isn't in violation of the rules, either the rules that were in place when I was a fanfiction manager, or the rules as they may have been modified 'til now.

Dana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.