main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multifandom] "how dreaming becomes us" (50 Sentences) Table XXIV: Iron Man, up 7/28!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mira_Jade , Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    These are so beautiful! I love Les Mis, and you captured the story perfectly [:D] The last sentence almost brought me to tears! Absolutely beautiful.

2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Ah! Les Misérables... One of the masterpieces of the French literature. Though Hugo tends to be somewhat verbose about some subjects (the infamous history of the Paris sewers, for one), the overall value of this grand fresco is rather impressive. And a wonderful description of one of the XIXth Century's most pitiless, convulsive eras, namely the Paris Commune.

There were many things I liked about those wee snippets, but particularly:

Restless: Poor Valjean. And poor Javert, too.

Ravel: The bagne as Life101. Harsh, unjust, and cruel.

Raiment: And my heart breaks.

Rigor and Reprise: Perfect mirrors, and yet etching two wholly different characters.

Random: And herein lies the difference between a simply law-abiding man and a moral one. The moral man will go the extra length, though it cost him dearly.

Ream: Dear, dear Monsieur Madeleine...

Relish: Oh, but what might have been, if not for their circumstances...

Refute: And here a good man becomes a great man.

Right: Poor Cosette...

Rarity: Spot-on, and yet so disturbing.

Revelation, Reverie and Regard: A perfect three-part set, showing at once simple happiness and its costs. And a reminder that there are always kernels of hope and ternderness we must cleave to.

Mystery: And a child leaves shelter for the real world, on her way to becoming a woman.

Billow: War... How much destruction have we wrought on one another in the name of ideals?

Signature: But that is precisely what parents do: give their children chances they didn't have.

Footprints: Only by acknowledging our past and reconciling with it can we sail forth placidly into the future.

Detail: Oh, Valjean! Can he not consider how very intimidating he must seem to any man daring to look upon Cosette in a romantic manner?

Puzzle: And some great foreshadowing here, of how Javert would resolve his conundrum.

Fog: As a wise man once said, many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Cuffs and Underworld: And here Valjean does the big damn hero thing... though he would resist the epithet, damn him.

Woman: Taking a leaf from her dear father's book, I see.

Game: And her actual full name would be la Baronne Euphrasie Pontmercy...

Fuse: Poor Javert, prisoner of his own narrow perspective on the world.

Suspect and Culprit: Though they didn't achieve perfect happiness (is there ever such a thing?), Marius and Cosette were indeed the ones amongst the sorry, miserable souls of the novel who emerged the most unscathed, able to confide in, trust and comfort one another. Sometimes a simple, untroubled ordinary life can be its own reward.

Elementary: And a perfect ending.

Félicitations! C'était magnifique!

And for those who understand French, I give you a link to the theme song of a wonderful animated version I saw once upon a time, and which, to this day, I can't hear without my heart breaking all over again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw_fFwMZAtc

Cheers,

Lauré :)

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Nat: Thank-you so very much! [:D] I actually wrote that last sentence first, and the whole thing seemed to fall into place from there. [face_love]

Lauré: I have to admit, that after how much work I put into those I read your review with an unrestrained relish. Thank-you so very much for taking the time to leave such articulate thoughts. [:D]

Though Hugo tends to be somewhat verbose about some subjects (the infamous history of the Paris sewers, for one), the overall value of this grand fresco is rather impressive.

[face_laugh] I certainly know more about Paris's sewers than I ever wanted to know, that's for sure. :p I did enjoy a few of Hugo's digressions (coming from the man whose entire novel can be explained as a digression - what did he say, 'where humanity is but a supporting cast to infinity' :p) - his rant about Waterloo has me captivated every time I read it, and Hugo's introduction to Book III with the role of the gamin always manages to enrapture me. [face_love]

Restless: Poor Valjean. And poor Javert, too.

They both got the short end of fate's stick. :( In some ways.

Rigor and Reprise: Perfect mirrors, and yet etching two wholly different characters.

The juxtaposition between the two is what makes the novel so intriguing. Both are good men - merely one is just and one is righteous and there's a world of a difference between that.

Random: And herein lies the difference between a simply law-abiding man and a moral one. The moral man will go the extra length, though it cost him dearly.

And earn him the eternal devotion of a fangirl or two. ;)

Relish: Oh, but what might have been, if not for their circumstances...

I have the guilty shame of reading into every single Valjean/Fantine interaction - so I am glad that you enjoyed that one. [face_blush] So lovely and heartbreaking. [face_love]

Refute: And here a good man becomes a great man.

The best. [face_love]

Rarity: Spot-on, and yet so disturbing.

Thank-you. :) At the end of Book II, when Javert is tracking Valjean and Cosette from the Gorbeau house Hugo has a lovely long description of the thrill of a hunt, and it makes me raise an eyebrow every single time. I had to try to capture some of the disturbing-ness. :p

Revelation, Reverie and Regard: A perfect three-part set, showing at once simple happiness and its costs. And a reminder that there are always kernels of hope and tenderness we must cleave to.

Exactly the whole message of Les Mis. [face_love] :D

Billow: War... How much destruction have we wrought on one another in the name of ideals?

Too much. :( I always feel so sorry for Hugo's students - it isn't even remembered as a revolution in French history, but a massacre. Such a waste. :(

Signature: But that is precisely what parents do: give their children chances they didn't have.

Exactly. [face_love]

Detail: Oh, Valjean! Can he not consider how very intimidating he must seem to any man daring to look upon Cosette in a romantic manner?

[face_laugh] The man's oblivious. :p

Puzzle: And some great foreshadowing here, of how Javert would resolve his conundrum.

I had entirely too much fun writing that one. :p [face_devil]

Fog: As a wise man once said, many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Very Kenobi-esque. [face_mischief]

Cuffs and Underworld: And here Valjean does the big damn hero thing... though he would resist the epithet, damn him.

Forget Hugo's epithet at the end, that is exactly what the grave should have said. [face_laugh] That thought is going to stick with me for a while now. :p

Woman: Taking a leaf from her dear father's book, I see.

Precisely. [face_love]

Game: And her actual full name would be la Baronne Euphrasie Pontmercy...

Thank-you for that! My French is abysmal at best, and how could I have forgotten the Euphrasie? :oops:

[i

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Dearest Mira,

I had not realised how far behind I got on your series. Well... I've been reading and lurking, rather than reading an replying! Time to fix that, since, well, I have nothing better to do as I wait to head back to school for the next two months. 8-}

Here are some thoughts (a bit shorter than I would like, but that's what I get for replying late!):

?between the pillars of your dreams?
    I am thrilled that you did an Inception ficlet - of course, I knew it was coming! The two of us can't seem to stay away from that film. [face_love] I love the balance of character you write with Mal and Dom, especially when looking back to days before the film. Ariadne is sparkling - of course! She's so much fun to write. I think you've really captured the spirit and atmosphere of the film, while prodding into some of the darker vestiges it inhabits but doesn't thoroughly investigate on screen (as it is, first and foremost, an action film, rather than a dark psychological investigative thriller into the human condition that makes us all depressed :p ).

Dreams upon dreams... it's making me think of surrealism!

...OMG. :eek:

... Inception portrayed as a surrealist play on stage. Now that would be frickin' awesome.

[face_idea] :D <-- manic Idri face

?Sic Semper Tyrannis?
    Huzzah, huzzah! I'm not the only nutter who writes Shakespeare fanfic! Huzzah!

I'm glad you tackled the Julius Caesar table with Julius Caesar, because someone had to do it and it wasn't going to be me. :p I've sworn off taking the (pardon the word choice) "obvious" route for each table and will be challenging myself to write a fandom's prompts for a completely different fandom. Anyway, Julius Caesar is one of those great plays that I think is rather unappreciated, especially by the folks in highschool - because when we study it, we certainly do not study it correctly! But that's just my theatre side going berserk on English Lit studies. :p Shakespeare's meant to be performed, not read... *sigh* Anyway, I love your interpretation of the events and the play! You certainly seem to have had a blast writing these. I love how you've covered the wide range of the cast and we get a little bit of everyone; heavens, I think you've given me some inspiration for Portia, if I ever get the chance to play her! :) Dearest Rome... thou art as glorious and beautifully fatal as ever.

?all ye holy?
    I am not surprised that you've done Frankenstein. :p Here's to Mira, the Classic girl! *raises a Roman goblet from the previous table* I admit, I have not read Frankenstein - it's one of the classics I have not gotten around to picking up, for one reason or another. But the story is so famous and so well known, I had no difficulty following it. In fact, your tables make me want to backtrack and actually read the novel that inspired so much. The gothic feeling is so evident and so powerful throughout - I love it! [face_love]

?call fondly upon this nightmare?
    OMG, LABYRINTH! I haven't seen this film in ages! But it's a great one. I find it hilarious, but that's probably solely because of David Bowie. :p

who proved that Meyer's sugary vampires should leave the sparkling to the Goblin King, and be done with it.

Hear, hear!

I love the expansion you have done on the original story. So many times when I'm covering a film or a story arc or whatnot, I fall into the trap of just covering base events, which is good and everything up to a point, but you can only go so far with it. It's a greater risk to go back and forward, beyond what you are given in the canon material, to delve deeper into the characters - it's a risk because you only have one sentence to drive an idea home and the audience isn't entirely familiar with your version of events pre or post-canon.

Anyway, cheesy 80s movies for the win! You never know how much fanfic material you can pump out of them until you try. :D

?known only to the lowly?
    Ah, dear Les Misérables. How I adore thee. This book was my greatest challenge when I was thirteen - I set

5. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Idri: You got in the way of my updating. [face_laugh] That's what I get for getting distracted. :p

Thank-you for taking the time to leave your thoughts! I do adore your catch-up reviews - it's like living the tables over for me once I've written them. :p [face_dancing] [:D]

I am thrilled that you did an Inception ficlet - of course, I knew it was coming! The two of us can't seem to stay away from that film. [face_love]

Indeed, it's a hypnotic film. [face_hypnotized] :p Now, to tackle it outside of sentences . . . :oops:

I think you've really captured the spirit and atmosphere of the film, while prodding into some of the darker vestiges it inhabits but doesn't thoroughly investigate on screen (as it is, first and foremost, an action film, rather than a dark psychological investigative thriller into the human condition that makes us all depressed :p ).

I personally would have loved the psychological thriller that would have left the whole theater moody in its wake. [face_laugh] That had to be my favorite part about Inception - minus its snazzy special effects and awesome fight scenes, there was such a creative backdrop about the human mind to delve into and play with. It was captivating to watch - and even more interesting to explore when writing. :D

... Inception portrayed as a surrealist play on stage. Now that would be frickin' awesome.

:eek: *inarticulate spasm of awesome approving sounds*

[face_idea] :D <-- manic Idri face

[face_dancing] [face_mischief] <-- face of sheer encouragement. :p

Huzzah, huzzah! I'm not the only nutter who writes Shakespeare fanfic! Huzzah!

:-B It had to come out some time. [face_laugh] I may do Hamlet in your honor one of these days and have you pick apart my interpretations. [face_laugh] ;)

I'm glad you tackled the Julius Caesar table with Julius Caesar, because someone had to do it and it wasn't going to be me.

I was trying to avoid it like the devil, but I kept on coming back to it when trying to jot down ideas for other fandoms. :oops: Apparently, Caesar is a bossy little thing. Whodda thunk? :p

Anyway, Julius Caesar is one of those great plays that I think is rather unappreciated, especially by the folks in highschool - because when we study it, we certainly do not study it correctly!

As my favourite of Shakespeare's plays, I twitched when we covered it in school. :p o_O The history of the time period fascinates me as well, and you could really tell that our teacher had just researched what he had to know just to cover the unit. :rolleyes: (Although, everyone in the class got to stab Anthony (the ironically named kid who had the misfortune of playing Caesar's role) with plastic knives brought back from the cafeteria - and that was fun.)

I love your interpretation of the events and the play! You certainly seem to have had a blast writing these.

More than was healthy, I am sure! [face_laugh]

I love how you've covered the wide range of the cast and we get a little bit of everyone; heavens, I think you've given me some inspiration for Portia, if I ever get the chance to play her! :)

I adored writing for Portia! She was such a strong female character in a time period where a dog had more rights than a Roman woman. The scene where she convinces Brutus to confide in her gets me every time. [face_love] And reading the history books - it really was a marriage of love, as well as convenience - she was the daughter of Cato, and she certainly knew how to use her tongue as a result - she would not have been a mere wallflower. [face_love] (Even Plutarch said of her: "...Though the natural weakness of her body hinders her from doing what only the strength of men can perform, she has a mind as valiant and as active for the good of her country as the best of us.") She was an interesting juxtaposition for Calpurnia - who was basically just an arm ornament for Caesar, and put u

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, sure, sure, put the blame on me. :p I'm shiny and distracting. Bazinga! [face_money_eyes]

(I don't know why I keep using money eyes - it's rather bizarre)

I may do Hamlet in your honor one of these days and have you pick apart my interpretations.

[face_laugh] I'm sure you'd do the Danish Prince(ss :p ) justice. ;)

Apparently, Caesar is a bossy little thing. Whodda thunk?

I am not surprised at all. :p

The first time I encountered Caesar was in grade nine English Lit. We got to reenact different scenes from the play as part of the final project, which was also the first time I "acted" Shakespeare. My group was lucky to be assigned the fist part of III-i. Guess who got to play Caesar and get stabbed by cardboard daggers? Moi. :p Because everyone else said that Caesar had too many lines and I was the best at memorization. I remember, for some reason, that I stood up on a chair, spoke to the heavens, while the others circled around me, stabbed my legs and pulled me off the chair. My teacher was hyperventilating; she thought I got hurt, but I was fine, naturally. :p

It is one of those novels where you take something different away from it every time you reread it, and trying to capture such a scope in sentences was fascinating.

That's for sure!

Funny story about Les Mis - when it was first published, Hugo sent his publisher a telegram asking him how the sales were going. His message said "?". His publisher responded with "!". :p

Now, on to Tangled, a film I haven't seen yet, but need to get around to doing so (eventually)!

But first - I believeth there is something going on with your markups, particularly where "bold" is concerned. ;)

Found - [face_laugh]

Ranger - Oh my, I knew that horse was a star!!

Stature - never underestimate a "damsel" in "distress", no matter how delicate she appears!

Wizardry - Ha! It's always funny when characters comment on the frivilous oddities that occur in animated movie musicals. Her hair glows when she sings. So what? :p

Greed - oooh, creepy...

Will - Oh! HA! [face_laugh] She would. :p

Ring - Nice. I knew I liked that girl! :D Wait to go, sista!

Legend - Awww. [face_love]

Now I'm all warm and snuggly. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I [face_love] Tangled!! :D

She sketches him with a concentration that amuses him ? her tongue sneaking between her lips, and her brow creased most seriously ? and he has to thank her for having the courtesy to get his nose right.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Will is also really good :D I love these!! Especially the happily-ever-after sentences about Rapunzel and Eugene [face_love]

AWESOME set!! :D I think it ties for my favorite with the Les Mis sentences and, of course, the Labrynth set :D

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Idri: Oh, sure, sure, put the blame on me. :p I'm shiny and distracting. Bazinga! [face_money_eyes]

Very distracting, indeed. As all shiny things are. :p

[face_laugh] I'm sure you'd do the Danish Prince(ss :p ) justice. ;)

[face_laugh] What would that be? Fanfiction of a fanfiction of Shakespeare, basically? 8-} :p

I remember, for some reason, that I stood up on a chair, spoke to the heavens, while the others circled around me, stabbed my legs and pulled me off the chair. My teacher was hyperventilating; she thought I got hurt, but I was fine, naturally. :p

Too brilliant!! [face_laugh] I can totally imagine that. :D

I've played Portia's role - and I think that that is the only time I have acted in my life. :p I'm usually the one setting up the stages or painting sets. ;)

Funny story about Les Mis - when it was first published, Hugo sent his publisher a telegram asking him how the sales were going. His message said "?". His publisher responded with "!". :p

I have heard that! I love that wordy Hugo should lower himself to conversing with punctuation marks. :p

But first - I believeth there is something going on with your markups, particularly where "bold" is concerned. ;)

For the life of me I couldn't figure out where! [face_thinking] [face_blush]

Ranger - Oh my, I knew that horse was a star!!

Don't let the front cover fool you, its all about Maximus. :cool: :p

Stature - never underestimate a "damsel" in "distress", no matter how delicate she appears!

Especially when she's armed with a frying pan. [face_laugh]

Wizardry - Ha! It's always funny when characters comment on the frivilous oddities that occur in animated movie musicals. Her hair glows when she sings. So what? :p

Oh, he royally freaks out. :p Which is funny, because after everything else that happened, he chooses to focus on that. [face_laugh]

Ring - Nice. I knew I liked that girl! :D Wait to go, sista!

The gal kicks butt. :cool:

Thanks for reading, Idri! [:D]

Nat: I [face_love] Tangled!! :D

What's not to love? [face_love]

Will is also really good :D I love these!! Especially the happily-ever-after sentences about Rapunzel and Eugene [face_love]

Those were the funnest ones to write. :D Since I couldn't sneak another viggie from my muse, this was the perfect outlet. :D

AWESOME set!! :D I think it ties for my favorite with the Les Mis sentences and, of course, the Labrynth set :D

Aww, thank-you! [:D]

Those are definitely a few of my favorites as well. :D

As always, thanks to everyone for reading! [:D]

~MJ @};-

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Notes: First off, these were written in loving memory of Elizabeth Taylor (February 27, 1932 ? March 23, 2011). Here are a humble fan's attempt to try to recapture a legend. [face_love]

And, past wanting to mark the passing of such a beautiful actress, I was really in the mood to write something gaudy and sweepingly epic. So, out came the Cleopatra sentences. (And shush you all - past the over-indulgence and the sixty-five costume changes for the lead character, it is a great film. Really. :p) Just look at them as a prequel and a sequel to my Julius Caesar sentences. ;) What can I say? Ancient Rome has my muse in a vice grip and it won't let go. [face_love]

That being said, I'm following the film's version of history here (whose inaccuracies mainly stemmed from omission, and at four hours, we can't complain too much about that. 8-}), so just put on your 'blind-eye' and enjoy the glamour. ;)

And, as always, if you feel compelled to take a moment of silence for the laws of grammar which were mercilessly slaughtered, then I understand. ;)

Now that I am finally done rambling - enjoy. [:D]

[b]XVI.

[blockquote]?ancient of turn and tide?[/b]
    April 2011: Table III || Cleopatra[/blockquote]

[i][b]01. Arise[/i][/b]

?Then to Egypt we shall go,? Caesar declared, his voice troubled as his eyes tangled with the smoke billowing to the heavens above; fed like the greedy tide itself on the fallen Roman men, the casualties of the plague of civil war ? the same sickness which had struck the kingdom across the great sea.

[i][b]02. Cradle[/i][/b]

Alexandria rose like a pearl out of the shimmering cobalt of the Mediterranean, proud and ancient as she held white hands to the heavens ? [i]Alexandria[/i], where the Great Conqueror himself was seduced by the Nile, and where Kings and Queens were risen from legend and divinity, and felled without mercy or pity.

[i][b]03. Twine[/i][/b]

?They say he shed tears when the head of Pompey was presented to him,? Apollodorus concluded his report to the exiled queen, who stopped her pacing as a twine of idea started to take hold of her mind - the idea of returning to her beloved city, and sitting at its head once more as the Gods had foreseen.

[i][b]04. Ardor[/i][/b]

The ring was heavy in his hands, distracting him from Rufio and Agrippa's words of strategy, heavy memories (of his daughter, her life with Pompey her heart's delight, and her death in bearing the son that would have completed their happiness a black stain that lingered with both men), regrets, and the unending years of battle finally weighing heavily on him.

[i][b]05. Cascade[/i][/b]

She thought that the trip through the halls of her palace would drive her mad ? the sway of Apollodorus' gait was jarring, and her hold within the carpet too dark, her palms were sweating, and she knew that she looked a fright ? but any physical discomfort faded when she considered the task ahead of her, her thoughts and fears cascading upon her with the heavy cost of failure.

[i][b]06. Turbulence [/i][/b]

It wasn't right, in a way . . . the man before her bore the quiet strength of battles won and triumphs untold, clearly, he bore the mark of the Gods as Alexander reborn, and to see him fall to his body's failings (for while the Falling Sickness was a stigma of divine favor, it was still a sickness nonetheless) sat ill with her, a discontentment which she could not explain.

[i][b]07. Blossom[/i][/b]

Where the girl he had met the night before had been pretty in an unkempt sort of way ? spark and wit lightening her with a glory that few women could claim (hair tousled and elaborate eye make-up smeared from her hidden journey down the Nile), the woman reclining haughtily before him now, (an arrogance born of confidence and an ancient mysteriousness), looked every inch a Queen as she held his gaze ? something that even the most battle hardened Generals failed to do.

[i][b]08. Leaf[/i][/b]

?Do you smell smoke?? the girl Qu

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I too love Liz Taylor as Cleopatra =D= and your sentences - majestic and lyrical.

You make me feel like I'm treading the byways and breathing the very air of Alexandria & Rome.

Bravo!

[:D]
    !!!!!!!

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    50. Anew

With the death of its favored Queen, the age of the Pharaohs was laid to rest as the land was swallowed within the jaws of the ever expanding borders of Rome ? but there were still stories whispered, ancient tales told, and somewhere beyond the land of Osiris, these stories were all true to those who knew how to listen and speak the tales anew.

I love this!! I literally have chills going down my back. This is beautiful!!

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Deb: Thank-you so very much! It was as much fun creating an atmosphere and feel in these as it was dealing with the characters and events - and your words made my day! [:D]

Nat: Chill-worthy is one of the highest compliments I can imagine recieveing as an author. :D Thank-you so much for your kind words! [:D]

~MJ @};-

13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Notes: Alrighty, to start April I have decided to hit my OTP. My fandom of origin, and one of the great loves of my life. Yep, I have Phantom of the Opera sentences. [face_love] Because, really, how was I one to resist all of the shiny musical prompts? [face_hypnotized] My inner-Erik would not allow it. At all. :p

Once again, I have tackled two tables instead of one (and I promise - this should be the last time that formatting is needed [face_blush]), but I did so with a twist. The first table, instead of exploring the events commonly known, I have decided to take a look at Erik's (the Phantom, for those of you stuck under Andrew Lloyd Webber's truly delightful butchering - which is a whole other rant entirely) backstory. Because really, those last few months with Christine were just the icing on the cake of a very interesting tale. [face_mischief]

Any source material here is a combination of Susan Kay's amazing novel "Phantom", which is a more perfect look at the story than Leroux or Webber could ever hope to compete with. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it - it's dark, it's disturbingly passionate, and it doesn't skim over the more difficult aspects of the story - but at the same time you will laugh and cry as you are at turns amazed and horrified at the extents of human compassion and blind ignorance. Combine the book's masterful character study with Webber's sensational music, and Leroux's twisted horror story and you will get a full picture of the story as it was meant to be told. (And Susan Kay flushed out the character of the Daroga as Gaston Leroux originally intended. Nadir Khan is made of awesome, and shame on Webber for completely erasing one of the very best characters. [face_shame_on_you] How dare he run out of time and room for plot. :p)

The second table explores the more commonly known events at the Palais Garnier, and was admittedly more fun to write than it should have been. Ye Gods, but this story can be my soul at times. [face_love]

And now that my phangirl ranting is over, I do hope you enjoy my humble offerings to one of the most amazing tales ever told. [face_love]

[b]XVII.

[blockquote] ?raise our voices, heavenwards?[/b]
    May 2011: Table IV || Susan Kay's ?Phantom?[/blockquote]

[i][b]01. Settled[/i][/b]

Madeleine de Vere spent the last month of her pregnancy unable to move from her bed, grieving for the loss of her husband even as she sang lullaby's to the swell of her stomach, her siren's song seemingly reflected and completed by the quivering of her womb as the child within her responded to her voice.

[i][b]02. Seam[/i][/b]

She looked down at her child's face, searching for similarities between the little countenance and her own ? repulsed as she took in the warped features her body had born ? the boy had not her husband's nose (for he had none at all), or her own blue eyes (his were mismatched, unearthly green and gold), he had not even a babe's cry as he watched her calmly, as still as the corpse which he so resembled.

[i][b]03. Similar[/i][/b]

?Who is that?? the frightened child cried as he looked into the mirror, seeing the monster in the reflection (and not yet understanding that the monster was him), and Madeleine felt her violent rage dissipate, her bruising grip on the boy's arm falling ? she no longer needed to force her son to look, for now he couldn't look away.

[i][b]04. Scrupulous[/i][/b]

?Wear the mask, and the monster can never hurt you,? Madeleine's hands trembled as she pressed the black cloth against her Erik's face, his eyes trusting and so inhumanly bright in night's approaching light as he let her hide him away once more.

[i][b]05. Static[/i][/b]

It was a static in his head, a pounding in his veins that made him tap his fingers and hum under his breath - the music in him always building and [i]building[/i] like something possessed, and he had no choice but to let it out before it escaped through his pores, tearing him asunder in i

14. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Brava, brava, bravissima...

Oh, Erik! Poor, poor Erik... POTO hit me like a maelstrom when I first saw the movie in 2004 (which, incidentally, reintroduced me to Gerard Butler who had once caught my eye as Attila the Hun), and I was hooked, with line and sinker attached. Not to be outdone and wanting to be fully informed, I read Gaston Leroux's novel, dans le texte s'il vous plaît, and then Kay's version, which I liked, but Leroux has a certain French flair for intrigue which I find so delightful. Since then, I also have had the occasion to see the Palais Garnier (which was a trong inspiration for the movie sets, by the way) and to hear the musical twice, to my great delight. Ah! those were good times...

There were many small treasures in this set, but I particularly liked these:

Seam, Similar and Scrupulous: And I think my heart just broke...

Sinister: People can be so stupid sometimes.

Satisfy: No child should have to make such a choice.

Semblance: A drop of humanity in an ocean of hate.

Sample: And Erik's carreer as assassin begins.

Sequence: The parallel between the stone and Erik is uncanny.

Sunder: And Pandora opened the box.

Scialytic: So terribly sad.

Sychronize: It's in her soul that the true distortion lies.

Simpleton: For some reason, the following words popped in my mind: "I'm not a simpleton Jack. You knew my father." Which tells more about my strange mental paths than about this prompt, but there you have it.

Seize: Like as not, there is no place like home...

Sear: But it's so sad...

Serenade: In sleep he sang to me, in dreams he came...

Harmony: Here, in this room, he calls me softly...

Adagio: The true mark of an artist versus a simple performer.

Legato: What a tangle web we weave, when we first practice to deceive.

Bar: A common trick among performers to ward off stage fright, that.

Tempo: Damn you! Curse you!

Diva: There really are way too many Carlottas in real life.

Solo: And the beast is unleashed.

Duet: Sometimes simplicity is its own reward.

Rhytm: More on that anon.

Octave: Not all wounds are of the flesh, dear Christine...

Percussion: The Agony and the Ecstasy.

Ballet: Why do I have the feeling Meg is erring woefully about the author of the gift?

Staccato: Philippe is an ignorant fool.

Tone-Deaf: And Raoul is just downright insensitive.

Black-Tie: Oh! the irony...

Practice: Magnificently portrayed in the musical, by the use of the tonal scale (which was only widespread from the turn of the century) in a piece supposedly written by the Ghost in the times of the Second Empire.

Opus and Overture: Be still, my beating heart...

Finale: Oh! Erik...

And as a wee gift, here is the translation I made of the passage in Leroux's text where Christine listens to Don Juan Triumphant, which sums up in a nutshell the drama that is Erik's life:

It is then, my friend, that I began to understand Erik's comments on what he called, with a contempt which had stupefied me: opera music. What I was listening to didn't have anything to do with what had charmed me until then. His Don Juan Triumphant [...] at first only seemed to me like a long, horrible and magnificent sob where the poor Erik had put all of his accursed misery.

I remembered the book with red notes and I imagined easily that this music had been written in blood. It made me journey in all the details of his martyr path; it made me enter in all the recesses of the abyss, the abyss inhabited by the ugly man; it showed me Erik hitting despairingly his poor hideous head to the funest walls of this hell, and there hiding, to not terrify them, from the gazes of men. I beheld, anihilated, panting, pitiful and vanquished, the blooming of those gigantic chords where Suffering was deified and then the sounds which were rising from the abyss gathered all of a sudden in a prodigious and menacing flight, their twirling host seemed to escalate the skies as the eagle rises up to the sun, and such a triumphant symphony seemed to set ablaze the world that I u

15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Laure: You are too good for me for all of those beautiful, beautiful words. [face_love] [:D]

Oh, Erik! Poor, poor Erik... POTO hit me like a maelstrom when I first saw the movie in 2004 (which, incidentally, reintroduced me to Gerard Butler who had once caught my eye as Attila the Hun), and I was hooked, with line and sinker attached.

The movie is a guilty pleasure for me. I love Gerard Butler, and he certainly added a . . . look [face_mischief] to the role. Webber butchered the time period, and major elements of the story; but, in a most enjoyable way. :p

Not to be outdone and wanting to be fully informed, I read Gaston Leroux's novel, dans le texte s'il vous plaît, and then Kay's version, which I liked, but Leroux has a certain French flair for intrigue which I find so delightful.

Both versions have great points to them. The writing of Leroux bothered me - but I honestly think that that had a lot to do with the translation I was reading. (BTW - your translation at the bottom was a glorious gem in my collection of phantom quotes. Thank-you. [face_love])

Since then, I also have had the occasion to see the Palais Garnier (which was a trong inspiration for the movie sets, by the way) and to hear the musical twice, to my great delight. Ah! those were good times..

I just saw the Palais Garnier this past October, and I think that it was a high point of my life. We took goofy pictures in front of one of the Box 5's (THE one is inaccessible. :(), and did lots of Masquerade reenactments on the foryer stairs. Thankfully, we weren't the only ones doing so. :p

Sinister: People can be so stupid sometimes.

Amen to that. :(

Sequence: The parallel between the stone and Erik is uncanny.

It was lines like this that made Kay's reading experience for me divine. [face_love]

Sychronize: It's in her soul that the true distortion lies.

Isn't that the truth. :(

Simpleton: For some reason, the following words popped in my mind: "I'm not a simpleton Jack. You knew my father." Which tells more about my strange mental paths than about this prompt, but there you have it.

[face_laugh] I love the twists and turns of your mind. ;)

Legato: What a tangle web we weave, when we first practice to deceive.

They say lots about the road to hell . . .

Bar: A common trick among performers to ward off stage fright, that.

Very fitting. :p

Rhytm: More on that anon.

A favorite of mine. [face_mischief]

Octave: Not all wounds are of the flesh, dear Christine...

And there is the crux of the matter. :(

Percussion: The Agony and the Ecstasy.

A perfect way to put it.

Ballet: Why do I have the feeling Meg is erring woefully about the author of the gift?

Because it is so delightfully twisted. [face_mischief]

Staccato: Philippe is an ignorant fool.

Yep. :mad:

Tone-Deaf: And Raoul is just downright insensitive.

Oblivious, indeed. :p

Black-Tie: Oh! the irony...

I had a little too much fun writing that one. :oops:

Practice: Magnificently portrayed in the musical, by the use of the tonal scale (which was only widespread from the turn of the century) in a piece supposedly written by the Ghost in the times of the Second Empire.

It was a great piece of writing by Webber, although I was shocked that he dared to try to put any of the Phantom's works into writing - especially that one piece which Erik was determined never to be played, and taken to his grave. :(

Opus and Overture: Be still, my beating heart...

Finale: Oh! Erik...

[face_love] [:D]

Thank-you so much for your kind words!

~MJ @};-

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Note: So, the genesis of this story was kind of funny. My mind looked at the Inception prompts, and went: "ooh! Shiny soundtrack by Hans Zimmer." And then my muse replied to my mind: "You know what else has a snazzy soundtrack?" Yep. That's right. There came the Gladiator sentences.

Which, technically too can be blamed on Idri for mentioning the idea of these before her Troy sentences. It's fun to blame things on Idri. [face_mischief] So we'll stick with that.

That said, I promise that I will try to kick ancient Rome off of my muse one of these days. But for now, enjoy! [:D]

[b]XIX.

[blockquote] ?bid the Colosseum roar?[/b]
    May 2011: Table II || Gladiator

[i]?While stands the Colosseum, Rome shall stand.
    When falls the Colosseum, Rome shall fall.
    And when Rome falls -- the World."[/i]
    ~Byron[/blockquote]

[i][b]01. Dream[/i][/b]

There was a dream that was Rome; a Republic for the people and by the people, the control not in the hands of the Emperors who had enforced their reign over the centuries - but the people who held the weight of Rome high.

[i][b]02. Manipulation[/i][/b]

With hard eyes, Commodus watched as the Emperor brushed past him to embrace his favored General (his son in all but name), and his mind swirled with the weight of the future, already knowing which path he would take . . . if his father chose to push him down it.

[i][b]03. Interpretation[/i][/b]
    ?They do not honor me,? Marcus Aurelius smiled softly as he and Maximus walked through the tired lines of the Felix Regiment ? each man they passed wearily bowing their head, scratched and bloodied armor creaking as their eyes shone with admiration for the General who had led them through the long years of fighting.

[i][b]04. Perceptions[/i][/b]

?For your health, Father,? Lucilla muttered as she kissed the ailing Caesar on the forehead, her eyes closing in weary resignation as she felt his weak grip about his shoulders, knowing that he would soon be leaving her world for the next.

[i][b]05. Radical[/i][/b]

?My reign will not pass to my son,? Marcus muttered his decision softly, as if afraid that some spirit would pass by and steal his words ? the dream he had forgotten over the years as fragile as the mist on the air, dissipating into the night.

[i][b]06. Procure[/i][/b]

?I die for Rome,? the young soldier gasped like a prayer, his hand in his General's as Maximus wove a vision with his words: marble buildings, and jeweled hills - the glory that was Rome, a city he had never laid eyes on himself, but an [i]idea[/i] that he carried in his heart . . . and whose losses he held within his memory, never to be forsaken.

[i][b]07. Tactile[/i][/b]

The snow crunched under his boots, but he wished that it was rich vineyard soil; just as he wished for the thick layer of cloud above traded for Spain's sun soaked fields ? the grim ache of his men, and the insincere smiles of Caesar's family and Senators traded for his wife's loving warmth and the son he could hardly remember . . .

[i][b]08. Business[/i][/b]

The whole act of murder was strangely silent ? the Emperor's last breaths muffled as Commodus held the frail man close in a smothering embrace, killing him with a sad imitation of a child's love for his father until there was only the sound of his angry tears on the air, holding a corpse up as he had longed for his father to do in return all his life.

[i][b]09. Espionage[/i][/b]

?Embrace me, brother,? Commodus held his hand out, eyes carefully spying out the plentiful array of emotions on Maximus' face until the other man turned and left without a word, his last look accusing and fervid ? sealing his fate.

[i][b]10. Foray[/i][/b]

That night, when the camps quieted and her brother finally slept, Lucilla walked through Maximus' tent with slow steps, her breath catching in her throat as if taken by the spirit who still loitered, her hands caressing the furs that hadn't been slept in in days and the tiny f

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    These were all touching and sad!! I'm glad that after hs death, Maximus was able to enjoy the afterlife.

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    AAAAGH! I am SO behind! :( :_|

I have been reading, just not commenting, so I am going to blaze through these and get all caught up. ;)

?ancient of turn and tide? - what a choice to make! You are the Queen of Multifandom; I would never have expected this version of Cleopatra (or any version, actually), so it's been wonderful. Such a surprise. Yay. :D You've really covered a great amount of emotion in these sentences and I feel like I'm in Ancient Egypt, watching it all unfold. Great work. :)

Not surprised that the Phantom ficlets came out, next! Some of these prompts were just such a good opportunity for that! :D

?raise our voices, heavenwards?, part I - I admit I have not read the book "Phantom", but if you loved it, then I'm guessing I will like it, too. It seems to have a lot of answers and fills in gaps... but your sentences offer just the right amount of intrigue for me to guess what those answers are in the novel! :D This is a very grotesque but amazing world you've offered us, and you can't help but pity Erik... while being attracted to everything else at the same time. Lovely!

?raise our voices, heavenward? part II - And it's Phantom proper! If you can call it Phantom proper. Having read these two sets of sentences consecutively, the story really fills out and I can see it all running in my head like a film. Which is a great effect, one that I really appreciate! I knew you were going to use this table for Phantom prompts. :p Out of this set, "Encore" really stood out for me - probably the irony in the line. :)

?bid the Colosseum roar? - you would blame me, wouldn't you? [face_laugh] Oh, epic soundtracks for epic movies - aren't they wonderful to behold? [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] Many historical epics are guilty pleasure films for me, but I think I can say that Gladiator is not - it's a film that is both excellent and pleasurable to watch (despite the Hollywoodization of Rome, but what do you expect? Really? :p ). So no guilt attached. :p

Dream - excellent way to open!

Radical - oh, if only he knew... :(

Tactile - I love the image of crunching snow under the boots

Projection - :_| *sniffles*

Kick - Oh, Proximo... I really like how you've made this connection between him and Maximus. :)

Evasive - I really like the portrayal of Lucilla here.

Heir - Commodus... what is there to say about him, other than you really know how to show his twisted political side?

Traces - Oh! That was touching... [face_love]

Sabotage - that moment always gets me in the film.

Reality - beautiful. @};-

Awaken - and a wonderful, touching way to end.

Thank you for bringing one of my favourite films to life with your lovely writing, Mira. [:D]

And you know, these Inception prompts really, really suited Gladiator to a T. It's kind of bizarre, but awesome at the same time! Who would have thought? :p

=D=

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's notes: I am running out of time to be online today, but I have to get these up before tomorrow. So, I'll edit with replies later. [:D]

For this last set, I have another personal indulgence.

The Count of Monte Cristo is another French literary classic. But I have a confession to make . . . I liked the movie better than the book. :eek: [face_blush] The 2002 movie adaptation, that is. :p Which, past stealing the main characters and the general idea, it is pretty much different in every way that matters. But still - so much fun. :cool:

I know, I know - blasphemy. But, while Alexander Dumas can come up with a neat cast and plot, I have such a hard time sitting through his writing. I adore the more romanticized movie adaptations of many of his novels, and this is the result of that. :p

I hope that you enjoy these as I did writing them. :)

[b]XX.[/b]

[blockquote] [b]?your servant, forsaken?[/b]
    May 2011: Table I || The Count of Monte Cristo[/blockquote]

[b][i]01. Treasure[/b][/i]

Anything in life could be taken ? this was the lesson he had learned in the cruelest of ways, and what he now hungered to demonstrate to those who had taken everything from him.

[b][i]02. Pirate[/b][/i]

?Who's to say that pirates don't have ladies on their ships?? Mercédès put a hand on her hip, glaring over to where Fernand and Edmond were playing their games without her, determined to join the other two children in this as she did in everything else.

[b][i]03. Sail[/b][/i]

Fernand raised a brow upon seeing Edmond hang off the side of the ship, his face artlessly joyful as the sea spray and Mediterranean winds whipped through his hair ? and as always, he wondered how his friend could find such pleasure in the simplest of things.

[b][i]04. Wake[/b][/i]

Every action had an equal and opposite reaction ? a man could pull into an unfriendly harbor to save his Captain's life, and pull away from it carrying the one thing that would someday tear everything asunder; none the wiser to how fate had twisted his wake behind him.

[b][i]05. Flagship[/b][/i]

The former Emperor Napoleon was small in stature, but his eyes shone with the hard knowledge of battles won and lost, kingdoms wagered and gained; and though his reign was over, Edmond still lowered his head out of respect to a forgotten glory.

[b][i]06. Waves[/b][/i]

As he unfolded the letter, Fernand blinked as he understood just what Bonaparte had given Edmond to deliver for him ? a bounty of strategic information that his naïve friend would never think to suspect.

[b][i]07. Crest[/b][/i]

Over the years, the loneliness came in waves ? cresting on anger and despair, and carving dark ocean dips on more self destructive emotions ? the days in his cell slipping one into the next with nothing to distinguish them but [i]feeling[/i].

[b][i]08. Medallion[/b][/i]

Clarion Villefort ran his old and weathered finger over the gold blaze of the Emperor's seal, his grey eyes clouded as he imagined the glory of a march on Paris from Elba ? a glorious future that the Emperor had trusted him ? [i]him[/i] ? with seeing take place.

[b][i]09. Captain[/b][/i]

Captain Leclère was silent and still between them as they rowed across the dark waters to Elba, the dip of the oars in the water as loud as his heart pounding in his ears as the peaks of the island shone as monsters in the mist to his over frazzled nerves.

[b][i]10. Sand[/b][/i]

Over time, his friendship became like sands in an hourglass ? slowly disappearing grain by grain until all that remained was a smooth stem of glass, slippery and cold as it presented to him a way to see his friend forever pushed from his life ? and that of anyone else.

[b][i]11. Tides[/b][/i]

Mercédès' hands shook as she read Villefort's letter (announcing her Edmond killed by the crown for treason ? a treason which he could not have committed), the

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi:

Fantabulously intense and well-packed sentences.

You create a vivid, compelling scene with each well-crafted sentence/paragraph LOL -- they're packed as full of meaning as a longwinded paragraph.

=D=

@};-

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I love this story!! And your sentences were great--I especially loved the ones with Dantes and Albert. And, of course, Mercedes [face_love]

(Are your sentences based off the 2002 movie? I haven't seen it, just looked up the summary--I like that ending better than the one in the novel.)

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    And for some belated replies. ;)

Idri (from before ;)): You spoil me with your thoughts! [:D]

You are the Queen of Multifandom; I would never have expected this version of Cleopatra (or any version, actually), so it's been wonderful. Such a surprise.

That movie has always been such a guilty pleasure for me, so when I had an excuse to run with it, I did and didn't look back. [face_love]

I admit I have not read the book "Phantom", but if you loved it, then I'm guessing I will like it, too. It seems to have a lot of answers and fills in gaps...

It will make your mind explode with awesome! In the best way . . . if there is a best way for a mind to explode. [face_laugh] :oops:

This is a very grotesque but amazing world you've offered us, and you can't help but pity Erik... while being attracted to everything else at the same time. Lovely!

That is just what makes Phantom so lovely to me. It's gruesome, it's horrifying, but there is such love and passion at the core of it. [face_love]

Having read these two sets of sentences consecutively, the story really fills out and I can see it all running in my head like a film. Which is a great effect, one that I really appreciate!

And there are so many gaps to fill! Especially if one is just following Webber's marvelous monster of a hole stricken plot. :p In the end, trying to fill those gaps just begets more questions, and its such a tangled web to weave in the end . . . [face_laugh]

Many historical epics are guilty pleasure films for me, but I think I can say that Gladiator is not - it's a film that is both excellent and pleasurable to watch (despite the Hollywoodization of Rome, but what do you expect? Really? ). So no guilt attached.

I agree completely - it is one of the most elegant, touching movies that I have had the pleasure of watching. :cool: And it was fun trying to put all of that into so few words. [face_love]

As always, thank-you for your wonderful supports! [:D]

Nat: Thank-you! For both sets. [:D] Yep, these were based off of the 2002 movie - which I edited the notes to include now. 8-} It was a lovely film, and I greatly prefer its ending over the original. [face_love] (There's also a snazzy musical by Frank Wildhorn that pays homage to the Count, as well. And that's a lot of fun. :p Some sample tracks if you are interested, with the villains acting like villains, and some angsty shippery goodness here. [face_mischief]

Deb: These seem to turn into drabble lengths more often that not! [face_laugh] As my unfortunate beta, you know my much abused run on sentences. ;) Thanks for the very kind words - it has been such a blast dabbling with these. [:D]

~MJ @};-

23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Notes: And to kick this month off with, I am going to start with a new favourite of mine.

Thor.

Yes, you read right. I saw the movie. I broke down into a squee fit, and the muse now feels ready to conquer all nine realms. :cool: (And on that note - I have quite a few things brewing for this fandom, so I apologize in advance. :p) I felt like I was thirteen and waiting in the comic book store after school all over again - I went into the movie with expectations of a fun few hours (I really just wanted to see George Kirk as Thor [face_mischief]), but in the end, the movie was visually stunning, and emotionally heartrending. Yes. Thor tugged at your heartstrings.

Now, comics and me have always had an abusive relationship - I seethe and rant over plot directions and writer changes and oh-please-not-another-alternate-universe, and in return they kill and resurrect my favorite characters, and I don't punish them for it. I keep on going back. It's a vicious cycle, I tell you. And my relationship with Marvel movies is even more vicious - so much to adore and hate. 8-} :p

Thor was fun just for the sheer Shakesperean feel to the drama, (and thank-you Kenneth Branagh for your glorious insights while directing!). I enjoyed seeing Thor's growth as a character, and at the same time, I couldn't tear my eyes away from Loki's plight. And as a result he may just be my muse's new best friend. [face_love] (It was love at first sight with that helmet, lemme tell you. [face_laugh]) While watching the film I laughed, I cried, and I was enraptured by the soundtrack. Which is always a big selling point for me. [face_mischief]

BUT, that is quite a bit of rambling to introduce these, so I will cut myself off now, and just let you enjoy my mythological mauling. Seriously. On a whole new level. ;) :oops:

[b]XXI.[/b]

[blockquote] [b]?every rendering of heaven? [/b]
    (June 2011: Table I || [i]Thor[/i])[/blockquote]

[b][i]01. Allegiance[/b][/i]

?And you, my friend, will behave ? and not ruin this day for your brother,? Sif said firmly - not trusting the innocent complacency on Loki's face for a second as she tugged on his collar as if they were still children ? and the burden of the throne a far off reality to all of them.

[b][i]02. Bode[/b][/i]

Before her her readings pulsed with an almost majestic chaos that didn't compute within her scientists mind ? but above her the skies swirled and opened, and this once, Jane was left to trust her senses rather than what her mind told her should be real.

[b][i]03. Scourge[/b][/i]

Around him, Jötunheim laid in ruins, and her people screamed their losses to the frozen skies ? but before Odin, the child was all possibilities and a new life amongst the bloodshed ? something that his battle weary mind saw almost as [i]redemption[/i].

[b][i]04. Melee[/b][/i]

Where Thor was the harsh rendering of thunder and the ferocity of storm clouds within battle, his brother was like the rain, his aim unerringly accurate as spells flowed from his fingers with a liquid sort of grace ? apart they were formidable, but together they were unstoppable.

[b][i]05. Tournament[/b][/i]

?Well, now they'll know,? Sif hissed when the brothers snickered, snapping down the concealing visor to her helmet and joining the other young men who gathered to fight for the Allfather's approval ? for today was her moment to prove herself, and prove herself worthy as a warrior she would.

[b][i]06. Pyre[/b][/i]

In her senses, her husband's heartbeat and the strength of his pulse anchored her, but the sight of Odin still and lifeless within his slumber burned an aching point into Frigg's heart as she prayed for him to return to her side ? for within her visions she could see her world set to unravel, and she could not hold it together by herself.

[b][i]07. Solecism [/b][/i]

?If you were to stop at a mere boar and two pheasants, you wouldn't have nearly as much of your meal in your beard ? and then just may

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Stunning panorama of emotions and epically relevant actions.

Why do I feel like I've fallen into the sweep and majesty of Homeric or Ovidian prose?

=D=

From the everyday emotions of lover, soldier, son, leader -- to those who traverse worlds and time. :cool:

Magnificent -- WEIN. As if.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Jade

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Jade_eyes: Aww, thank-you so much, Deb! [:D] I sure felt epic writing them, that was for sure. [face_laugh] ;)

[b]Author's Notes[/b]: Alrighty, since June really exploded all over me, I am moving on to July's prompts, and hoping that they go slightly better than the ones from last month. [face_doh!]

And to start out, I am doing so with the obvious - [i]Hamlet[/i] for the Hamlet prompts. And Idri, these are all your fault. Completely. ;) [face_hugs]

[hr]

[b]XXII.[/b]

[blockquote] [b]?cries the dead king, vengeance?[/b]
    Table I: July 2011 || Hamlet[/blockquote]

[b][i]01. Apparition[/b][/i]

The spirit breathed fire and his eyes flared with brimstone; but his words were pained, a dagger's cut which severed one departed soul and struck a blow to one still living ? a wound Hamlet was not quite sure how to heal without first tearing even further open.

[b][i]02. Task[/b][/i]

He was a prince, but he was more comfortable with a pen in one hand and parchment pressed against the other - sometimes he couldn't help but wonder just how the crown would sit upon his brow in the years to come.

[b][i]03. Beget[/b][/i]

On her wedding day, Gertrude was introduced to two men ? one her husband to be, and one her brother to be made; but as she signed the marriage contract, it was not her bridegroom whom she saw from the corner of her eye, but the second prince.

[b][i]04. Ratify[/b][/i]

?Indeed, then what we saw . . .? Marcellus breathed, at his side Bernardo nodded dumbly, agreeing that it was the visage of the dead king who had haunted their watch.

[b][i]05. Formerly [/b][/i]

?Brother,? the dying man whispered, hand held out desperately as the venom did its deed, and horrified, Claudius took a step back, forcing himself to hold his brother's condemning eyes until the end.

[b][i]06. Usurper[/b][/i]

?Marry?? Hamlet repeated dumbly, his great knowledge lost to him as he took a step away from his mother, horrified understanding gnawing at his mind and turning his stomach as the insult to his dead father sunk in completely.

[b][i]07. Hidden[/b][/i]

The ghost was silent to them ? and feeling fate tighten her fickle hands about him, Horatio's mind whispered just who the apparition may have spoken to.

[b][i]08. Rest[/b][/i]

Laertes breathed a sigh of relief once he took his first step upon fair Paris' streets, finally far enough away from his father and the weight of his disapproval in order to draw an easy breath again.

[b][i]09. Peace[/b][/i]

In the first throws of spring, Elsinore was almost acceptable in place of Paris to her; with the flowers just started to bloom ? promising many a blossom that she could cut and dry when the time came, preserving them through winter's chilly breathes.

[b][i]10. Wane [/b][/i]

The first time he had saw her, Ophelia had been like a lily blossoming on the cold stone of Elsinore; ivory petals turning towards the sun and brightening all around her rather than give and wane to the chill of winter's memory.

[b][i]11. Chary[/b][/i]

Had the ghost spoken to any other son, Hamlet couldn't help but think, his traitorous uncle would not still draw breath; but his mind was running in circles, staying his blade and prolonging Claudius' life for a little while longer.

[b][i]12. Retribution[/b][/i]

?And you lost your queen,? Claudius smirked at his brother as he took the chess piece in hand, the shadows of the garden throwing patterns over their game and lengthening the grin upon old Hamlet's face as he said, ?Indeed I have.?

[b][i]13. Afoot[/b][/i]

?Milord!? Ophelia protested, crying as he spun her about, eyes not mad upon her face ? but so incredibly [i]pained[/i], as if he saw the gazes watching them, and aligned her alongside every broken thing within his heart.

[b][i]14. Brood[/b][/i]

His thoughts chased themselves in circles ? heaven and hell, vengeance and justice, honor and forbearance and the right to judge all striking at him as the waves and winds might fight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.