main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Murder on Naboo

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by TheSithGirly, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    They found her in the early hours of the morning. Lt. Trenaca of the Queen's guard had been send to patrol the gardens. It was a representative duty, as the imperial presence on the planet had lead to a security unknown to the planet in the long years of the Clone Wars.

This feeling of security was shattered in the first rays of the morning sun, when the Queen's Handmaiden Ayara Lashi was found dead near the central fountain in the garden. She was lying face down in the grass. A single hole was in her back and went all way through her chest to her torso. She had clearly died by violent means. A murder in the palace of the Queen of Naboo. A murder right under the watch of the Royal Guard of Naboo.

Queen Dalné was informed immediately and she send messengers to both the now diminishing Naboo Security Forces and Moff Panaka, to ask them to help with the investigation of this terrible act of violence.

The investigations began immediately. What nobody could know at that time was the terrible truth the investigation would unearth and how it would change the planet forever.

[​IMG]

————————

Murder on Naboo

————————

It is the fifth year of the Galactic Empire and a terrible murder has happened on Naboo, the homeplanet of the Emperor. Both the local law enforcement and the Empire have been asked to investigate the case and have appointed investigators to do so.

The investigators are you. You could be part of the law enforcement of either the Empire or Naboo's still existing Security Force. You could also be an outsider asked, forced or simply hired to investigate the crime by either of the two investigating parties. Feel free to come up with any investigator you feel might make sense.

————————

Character Sheet

Name:
    Equipment:
    Sidekick:
    Short Bio:

————————

RULES:

1. GM word is law
    2. No Godmodding, but every player can have s sidekick who he shares as a character with the GM and who helps him in the investigation.
    3. The game will have a maximum of four players.
    4. If a player is absent for a considerable time the GM reserves the right to take control or even remove him from the game if he sees it as necessary.
    5. Have fun!

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    It was a dark night in O'pahz as the rain pelted the window of a third floor office building. Inside a being was working late. Botetourt Sade, a Balosar, sat smoking a cigarette a half empty bottle of whisky sitting on his desk. It had been a long day of trailing the wife of a local business being that he was afraid was stepping out on him. She was, with his assistant. The investigator knew he needed to turn in his findings with credit shot included. He felt dirty sometimes taking these, it was a long way to fall for him.

He was about to pour himself another drink when a knock came at his door.

"It's open." He called out finishing pouring himself a drink.

The door opened and the bright lights of the hallway gave him a familiar silhouette straight shoulders, tall boots, and a ramrod posture, an Imperial officer stood in the doorway. As they stepped through the figure became more clear as they entered the light of the street lamps and advertisements across the street. He knew that sway of her hips, that perfume that smelled of alluring danger. The red lips like a warning, trouble comes this way. Her raven hair was pulled back into a professional bun but, a few strands had come loose not so perfect after all.

"Sergeant Botetourt Shade," She almost cooed.

"Former Sergeant, Mam" He corrected taking a swing of his whisky, "Haven't worn a uniform since your Empire forced me out for being...well." He extended his anttenapalps, taking a drag from his cigarette, "Not like you." He blew the smoke in her direction before snuffing out the cigarette in an overfilled ashtray.

"I'm sorry that happened to you."

"Are you Lieutenant Kusanagi?" He snapped.

"It's Major now,"

He held up his glass in a sarcastic gesture.

"Congrats on your promotion."

"And it wasn't my call." She bit back.

"Oh it wasn't I was in your command, your platoon sergeant and it wasn't your call to have me discharged, without a pension."

"I thought you could be useful."

"Oh...useful was that all I was?" There was an undercurrent to his words. How could they not. A relationship as close and intimate as theirs often had fallout when things went wrong.

"I couldn't stop them, I had my own career to worry about."

"And what a career it is, you can come and go from my home as merry as you please. Yet I'm stuck here, behind the Governor's idiotic movement controls. For the safety of the people he says."

"I don't control the Governors...And I didn't come here to argue with you."

"Then why did you come...Miss the old days."

She looked away that perfect imperial posture cracking.

"I need your help."

Another chuckle left his mouth.

"Well," he leaned back in his chair a cruel smile on his face. "Someone alert the Emperor, one of his servants is reaching out to a non-human for help."

She fixed him with a stern gaze.

"There's been a murder."

"Well that sounds like a job for the investigation division...which you are in."

"It isn't strictly a military jurisdiction and...and…"

"You sound like you want to say something? Something more than you just need my help with a case."

She took a deep breath centering herself.

"It could be an opportunity to prove yourself to the higher ups. To get your rank back."

"What have you been drinking? Like the Empire is going to let a dirty Xeno rejoin their ranks after working so hard to throw them out."

"It's not as unlikely as you think. If you can show your worth it would be easier for me to make your case."

"And what if I don't want to come back. Don't want to join that speciesist institution."

She took steps forward resting her hands on his desk. Her right one reached out for his. Shade's anttenapalps twitched, he'd felt this before, though it had been a long time. She was nervous though her porcelain mask hadn't cracked.

"Then do it for me. I could really use your help. You were always better with people, talking with them. I might be able to put dots together but, you were always the one I turned to when I needed a confession or when I needed someone to handle an interview. I need that now."

Old, old feelings came rising up in him. They were close, too close some might say back when they both wore the uniform. In those days he would have done anything for her, just to see her smile. He hated these feelings coming back. He didn't want them anymore he'd moved on hadn't he? It had been five years but, like an old flame, the coals still burned. She finally took his hand. In that moment he knew that deep down she felt the same. She would never admit it, would never say it out loud, but, he could sense something.

"Alright my fee is 500 credits a day plus expenses." She smiled her red full lips turning into a warm grin that always melted his heart.

"I'm sure I can do that." She held her gaze on him smile deepening even more. "Could I bum one off you?"

With a heavy sigh he pulled out the packet in his breast pocket and offered one to her. She took it setting it between her lips, Shade watched it all the way.

"Can you give a lady a light?"

He pulled out his lighter struck it and brought it close to her.

"You know I can." He could see the flame in her eyes as she lit the cigarette, it flickered with passion but, just as much danger. His fate was sealed it seemed.

"Meet me at the spaceport." She said pulling away. "I have a transport that will take us to the crime scene."

"And where's that?"

Smoke bellowed from her mouth like a monster in a story book but, damn him if it didn't spark something in him.

"Naboo."

@TheSithGirly Approved

Name: Botetourt Sade
    Species: Balosar
    Equipment: A long coat, and broad brimmed hat, a datapad for notes and a blaster pistol in a shoulder holster.
    Sidekick: Major Hana Kusanagi
    Short Bio: A young man when he joined the Republic Armed Forces at 18 he made his way up the ranks and showed a skill for investigation. He transferred to the Investigation Division of the Republic Military. He excelled at interviews aided by his innate talent for reading emotions. There he met Lieutenant Hana Kusanagi, she was his commanding officer, even though he had years of experience on her. It was his job to teach her, to show her the ropes. Which he did, she was bright intelligent able to make connections where others didn't see but, she lacked tact. Lacked a certain charisma to bring out confessions, or reveal certain truths. They made a good team, locking up criminals that might distract from the war effort. Though they locked up those the broke the law, they weren't above breaking protocol. Fraternization was frowned upon but, they didn't care, and were careful. There was something alluring to the relationship, the danger that they could get caught. It was exhilarating.

That was until the Empire came to power. Shade doesn't pretend to understand all that went on behind the scenes but, he knows it wasn't good. He tried to keep his head down and do his job, until he started getting reports of other non-humans being discharged. Soon he was one of them, thrown out on his ear without so much as a thank you for your service.

Now he works as a Private Investigator on Carratos, his home planet. At least he did until an old flame came walking through his door.

Sith-I-5 and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    Stardust Cafe, Downtown Theed

The Antalian Tea had reached the perfect temperature when he took the first sip. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the spicy taste. "What can I do for you?" He asked then without turning to the man who had entered the mostly empty cafe from behind him.

Commander Torrel sighed, but was not surprised by the him being recognized. He sat opposite of Serod Lorn and folded his hands.

"We got a murder." He simply said.

Lorn raised his brow and took another sip. "Really?"

"I need to appoint an investigator and it will probably be the fool Jovan Faul. You remember him? A guy with a great family and no experience."

"Regrettable." Serod said and put down the cup of tea. "But he certainly is not that bad. Why would he be an investigator if he was not qualified?"

"He is well connected."

"I see. Politics." It seemed to amuse Lorn for a moment.

"I might need someone a little more seasoned. Empire sends their own guy. I ... we ... the Queen wants no to be embarrassed." Torrel sighed.

"I see." Lorn looked almost disgusted by the request. "So I guess the murder was not anyone. Someone from the palace. Therefore the terrible pressure. You mentioned the Queen. Someone from the court probably?"

"A handmaiden. A complicated one."

Lorn nodded. He looked at the man opposite and then Torrel laughed.

"Ah, c'mon. I know you long enough to know you want to be involved. I would consider it a personal favor." Torrel sighed.

"The crime scene?" Lorn asked.

"As untouched as possible." Torrel answered.

"Then let us go. It won't stay that way." Lorn took another sip from his cup and stood up. Torrel smiled.

"Certainly." Torrel smiled.

On their way to the speeder Lorn signaled his droid Cone to get there as fast as possible.

Character Sheet

Name: Serod Lorn
    Species: Near-Human of an unknown variety
    Equipment: Long purple coat, Comm, Datapad, no weapon
    Sidekick: C1-D4 (Cone), a heavily modified protocol droid. Having holo recording equipment and a databank of crimes.

[​IMG]
    Short Bio: Serod's past is a mystery that has spawned many legends. Most of them are false. What is known is that he served the Republic for many years as an investigator. He never seems to have been officially part of any police force. He never received payment. But some of the most vicious criminals have been brought to justice by him. The Jedi valued his services highly. He solved at least on murder within the Jedi Temple.

He retired around the time the Senator of Naboo became Chancellor. Surprisingly he retired to Naboo, the home-planet of the Chancellor.

He is a very silent man, but effective and high regarded among the police force of the planet. He has occasionally advised them. His advise usually consists of high-jacking investigations and leading them to a conclusion.

Only one criminal he never managed to bring to justice. The elusive "Vulture", a crime lord in the Outer Rim has been a long standing rival of him. It has been many years since the two crossed patches though.

Sith-I-5 and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007
    [​IMG]

The Gardens of the Naboo Palace, Crime Scene

A dozen Naboo Security guards had originally protected the crime scene, but before even the first hour had passed they had got company of two platoons of Stormtroopers. The Empire had, as always, neither asked nor discussed their jurisdiction but simply sealed of the area.

The only person that had been allowed were the almost enthusiastic Jovan Faul and his assistant Trebor Ziel had been naturally first one the site.

[​IMG]
    Jovan Faul

[​IMG]

Trebor Ziel

When the Empire's investigator arrived by shuttle Faul shielded his eyes and was surprised when the ramp lowered and a female with raven hair in an imperial uniform and a man in a long coat stepped out. He was even more surprised as the two came closer and he recognized the two antenna on the head of the man in the coat.

"An alien in the service of the Empire. Now I have seen everything." He mumbled to his assistant before approaching the two arrivals. With an extended hand he greeted them. "Jovan Faul, Commander of the NSF. I am the Queen's appointed investigator and this is my assistant Trebor Ziel. We are happy the Empire sends us support. Certainly together we will quickly solve this ... thing." He smiled a little long and was a little to light-headed, actually. "We were just investigating the crime scene."

He gestured to the place were Ayara Lashi had been found. The body had been removed, but a realistic holo-projection of her was in her place. The whole in the back was clearly visible. She lay face down in the grass a few meters away from the path that circled the Grande Fountain, the centerpiece of the gardens.

While Jovan Faul greeted Botetourt Sade and Major Hana Kusanagi another person passed the perimeter of stormtroopers. A man in a long black coat and accompanied by an aging droid entered with the special permit by the Queen. Faul gave him an irritated look. "What is this Serod Lorn person doing here?" He asked his assistant. "I guess the Queen wanted his opinion on the case." Trebor Ziel replied and he looked at the man and nodded.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422, @RachelTyrell

GM Note:

Further investigators can jump on board if anyone signs up and enter the garden or join the investigation at a later point.

To the investigators: You can send any questions you have about the crime scene (or any future scenery of NPC) via PM to include the answers in your updates.

[​IMG]
    Ayara Lashi when she was still alive.

5. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Serod Lorn
    Garden of the Naboo Palace

Serod entered the garden with a sigh. Stormtroopers and Royal Guards everywhere.

"So much for footprints." He said to his faithful droid. "I need a holographic map of the scene."

With those words he left his droid to go to work and instead walked over to the two investigator teams. A Balosar in a long coat accompanied by an imperial office of the rank of Major and Commander Caul and his young assistant Ziel. A curious mix of people. With a nod he greeted the assembled without offering anybody his hand.

"Greetings. I am Serod Lorn. The Queen asked me to advise on the situation. I will try to stay out of the way, I promise." He smiled and then looked over to the holographic display of the body. The wound was a hole in her back and an equally sized hole on the front. He curiously raised his brow. His gaze followed the direction of the attack and mentally he drew a line. Awaiting the answers of the others he followed the imaginary line to the victim and then beyond it. It ended in a the bed of Naboo White Roses. There were half a dozen questions this crime scene posed immediately. First and foremost what a Handmaiden was doing alone out here in the gardens at this hour? Second who had known she was here? Third what had happened here exactly? But the fourth question was what interested him most and he kept his focus on that one.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422, @TheSithGirly

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Botetourt Sade and Hana Kusanagi
    Naboo

Shade had slept through most of the ride, his hat down over his eyes. It was more to let the alcohol leave his system than any actual fatigue. He pushed up his hat as he felt the ship beginning its decent.

"So, what are we looking at." he muttered, his head ringing like a bell, being shook by a mad man.

"The victim is a royal handmaiden, Ayara Lashi, found shot in the back by a blaster of unknown make, in the royal gardens." Hana's voice was clipped, professional. The sharp tones of a woman that worked hard to get to where she is, there was very little room for fun, and distractions in her line of work.

"I'm guessing late at night, no witnesses?" Shade followed up leaning his head back.

"Yes, and not that has been reported."

"Has a canvas been done of the people who might have heard?"

"Again not that has been reported."

"Good, I like talking to people." His tone carried no malice, not even a hint of sarcasm. He genuinely enjoyed talking to people. It was one of his very few skills, it was that, being a good shot, and being able to drink anyone under the table. He was running things over in his mind. "Why would you kill a handmaiden?"

"You and I both know it is a myriad of reasons." Hana replied looking at him with a cold expression.

"Come on, hypothesize with me. You know how I work, I think up the most likely reason is and work to rule it out."

"You know that leads to poor conclusions, and leaves you blind to certain possibilities. Certain things that one wouldn't think of at the beginning." He could tell that she was getting annoyed. They're styles clashed, it was what made them good. What allowed them to be the bane of criminals everywhere. Now he was just doing it to get under her skin.

"But, it is fun, and good way to pass the time…" As if it cut off the hypothesizing before he could drive his partner crazy, the shuttle settled down.

"We're here." Hana said standing up assuming that perfect posture that was drilled into soldiers of the Empire. Shade followed, through with a much more relaxed stance. It'd been years since he marched in formation, since he had drill sergeants yelling at him to fall in. As they descended he took off his hat, so it didn't get blown away by the repulsor wash off the shuttle. Right away he noticed the two Royal Guards whispering back and forth. What they were saying was lost to the noise. Though it was no doubt the gossip of the day, or the appearance of two Imperial investigators, one of them an alien. The gardens looked like a place for quiet reflection, or taking walks to clear one's head, or spending time with a loved one. Not the kind of place one found a body. It was almost foreign to him being around so much greenery. He grew up in a city, served in the Republic Military on bases spread far and wide. Green was not color he saw often, and he even more rarely saw it on plants.

As he came close the Queen's investigator introduced himself, Jovan Faul. He seemed entirely too enthusiastic to be an investigator on this case, it was like he was smiling at a funeral. The only reason someone did that was because they were getting something out of the death. Something didn't feel right about an investigator feeling like that. Beyond he could see a holographic representation of the victim.

"Hana Kusanagi," The woman introduced herself. "Imperial Criminal Investigation Division."

"Botetourt Sade," The Balosar followed putting on his most winning smile. "Most people call me Shade. Private Investigator brought in to assist." He kept his antenna out his senses aware of the emotions around him. It had saved his life more times than he could count. Feeling that stab of anger right before someone throws a punch, or takes a shot. Having that split second of notice could make all the difference in the galaxy.

Entering the crime scene was a man with a severe look and a long coat, he wore no badge but, no one seemed to care.

The man introduced himself curty as Serod Lorn, his presence was requested by the Queen herself it seemed. It was clear that he wasn't part of the regular constabulary. Another PI like the Shade? Well, that should ruffle a few feathers.

"Shade," The investigator managed to say before the other man wandered off to take a closer look at the crime scene.

"Well then," He started turning to the pair of NSF officers. "What can you tell me about the victim, any enemies, debts, other motives for killing her in the dead of night? Any threatening letters to the Queen that stand out, or is she about to make an important decision that not everyone is happy with? Could this be a warning to her...it is one of her staff, a handmaiden even."

TAG: @RachelTyrell @TheSithGirly

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007

"Ziel? You heard the Imperial Officers. What do we have about her?" Jovan Faul asked and folded his hands behind his back, listening closely.

Trebor Ziel looked surprised at his Boss. He had obviously expected him to do the talking. "As a Handmaiden her contact with people was limited due to her many duties. This particular Handmaiden enjoyed regular trips to the city though. Ayara Lashi had no known enemies, no conflicts inside or outside the palace we know of. She served the Queen faithfully, except one specific case of disobedience two years ago. Concerning political motives: Our Queen relies mostly on the wisdom of the Empire nowadays for political decisions, this is not welcome by everybody of course." Trebor Ziel looked at Shade and his Imperial superior ... employer ... "She is the Handmaiden responsible to maintain the contact between the Queen and the Imperial Adminstrator." He added as a possible motive.

Jovan Faul nodded. "I guess this might have been filthy Rebels!"

He looked at the two imperials as if he expected them to acknowledge his loyalty. Trebor Ziel finally lost his inner battle and could not avoid rolling his eyes.

This conversation left Lorn to do as he deemed necessary. Nobody watched the man.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Serod Lorn

Serod left the discussion who would have a motive to the assembled and walked over to the Roses. They seemed perfectly intact. An interesting fact he mentally noted.

Then he turned his attention to the surrounding. From where could someone have watched the crime at night? Trees and flowers and the next building was pretty far away from the center of the garden where the fountain was. He walked over to one of the guards who isolated the crime scene.

"Tell me young man is the garden illuminated by night? Are the lanterns on?"

The Naboo soldier looked confused.

"No, Sir. Not after midnight." He replied.

"I see. But are there guards patrolling the grounds?" He asked.

"No Sir. The garden is surrounded by a fence." The soldier replied.

"Someone could climb over that one. So why no guards?" Serod asked and looked around.

"Flower thieves are not our prime concern, Sir. The fence is alarm secured." The soldier replied.

"I see. Two last questions, Soldier." Serod folded his hands behind his back. "Did the security of the fence malfunction yesterday night?"

The soldier got a datapad from his belt and scrolled through the protocols. "No alarm, no malfunction, Sir." The soldier said. Serod nodded again.

"Last question. From the palace you can enter the garden, right? No alarm necessary?"

"Of course, Sir." The soldier replied and was visibly uncomfortable with the answer.

"Thank you for your time." Serod smiled and walked back to the assembled investigators. The murderer had found a way to pass the gates without sounding alarm that allowed him to enter and leave or he had come from the palace grounds. How could he have passed the fence? A repulsor maybe, but those made sounds. There would have been a risk of being detected. Any kind of catapult would have worked to enter, but not to leave. Considering the effort this would take it was pretty clear the garden would not have been a perfect spot. It would have produced an additional risk. Which meant the murderer was in a hurry to kill her or ... he had come from the palace grounds.

He was still in thoughts when he joined the other investigators. He eyed the Empire's agents. The Empire would certainly dominate this investigation, simply because Faul was a fool. They had forgotten to tell him the Empire would be involved. He might have turned the offer down had he known. Wise to forget this "detail". With his hands still folded behind his back he listened to the exchange between the parties. Rebels. Faul was trying to make points with the Empire.

"Rebels don't kill Handmaidens. The political value of such a target is too low. Also there was no alarm of an intruder at the fence. I think there is a strongly likelihood our murderer entered the crime scene from the palace." He kept his other observation to himself for now until he had validated his hypothesis.

"Also I think the crime scene reveals quite a bit about the murderer and his motive, don't you agree?"

Tag: @galaxtic-vagabond422 @TheSithGirly

9. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Naboo

"Ziel? You heard the Imperial Officers. What do we have about her?" the 'lead' investigator asked of his assistant. Shade stifled a laugh looking over to Hana. She was not moved, like a statue, nothing seemed to break her composure.

"As a Handmaiden her contact with people was limited due to her many duties." The young human stepped up, "This particular Handmaiden enjoyed regular trips to the city though. Ayara Lashi had no known enemies, no conflicts inside or outside the palace we know of. She served the Queen faithfully, except one specific case of disobedience two years ago." Shade had his battered old datapad and started taking notes. "Concerning political motives: Our Queen relies mostly on the wisdom of the Empire nowadays for political decisions, this is not welcome by everybody of course." There was look shared between Shade and Hana. "She is the Handmaiden responsible to maintain the contact between the Queen and the Imperial Administrator." The PI hummed a little noting that fact down. She was a link in a chain between two powerful individuals. Possible motive, maybe she knew something, or could know something.

"I guess this might have been filthy Rebels!" Faul jumped in with a since of pride rolling off him. Ziel rolled his eyes Shade held in his laugh.

"Rebels don't kill Handmaidens." The Queen's Investigator Serod Lorn interjected before Shade could comment. "The political value of such a target is too low. Also there was no alarm of an intruder at the fence. I think there is a strongly likelihood our murderer entered the crime scene from the palace." Shade nodded again jotting down more notes

"Also I think the crime scene reveals quite a bit about the murderer and his motive, don't you agree?"

"Is this a rhetorical question?" Shade started.

"Are you sure there was no Rebel involvement?" Hana followed up, "The slaying of a handmaiden on place grounds could cause some terror, show that nowhere is safe."

Shade arched his brow, that was a leap and Hana knew it. She was just keeping options open not closing anything off until it was completely ruled out.

"While that is a possibility, there is only three reasons your in the gardens at night. Clandestine meetings, illicit meetings, and, quiet self reflections. Given that she was shot in the back someone either snuck up on her, or she trusted them to turn her back to them. Given your information about none of the alarms being raised, the murderer came from the palace. So either Palace staff or someone with late night access to the palace."

Shade turned back to Zeil the clear pointman on this case. Faul just clearly wanting to coast through this case and get the glory at the end.

"Do you know if she had any friends, any acquaintances, maybe other handmaidens we could talk to? See if she was meeting someone here, or often came out here things were getting too much." He turned to Hana, "Do you think you can set up an interview with the Administrator and his staff see who she talked to when she made her visits?"

Hana nodded her head and composed a polite message to the head of the imperial bureaucracy on the planet. It was going to be a lot of interviews but, Shade was up to the task.

10. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Serod Lorn

Serod smiled at the stupid comment of Faul and kept his observations to himself. He also left the imperials comments without a reply. "The Administrator probably knew her well." He simply noted.

"I will further inspect the garden while you interview him. I assume a simple advisor would be inappropriate to join an interrogation with an imperial official." He simply said and turned back to the hologram of the victim.

She was lying in the gras, he realized. Looking at the palace and then back to the fountain he tried to get a view on how this scene had played out. "Maybe I could have a look at her private rooms?" He asked Ziel and smiled.

Tag: galactic-vagabond422, @TheSithGirly

11. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007

Ziel nodded in agreement. He had clearly taken over the case for the Naboo forces, also he had no experience in this kind of investigation.

"The Administrator will certainly be available. I arrange right away. Also I will check if she had any friends. Many handmaidens are close to each other. I assume someone must have noticed something." He looked at Faul who looked as if he almost forgot to nod in agreement. He typed in a message into his wrist comm.

"What does the crime scene tell us about the murderer?" He then asked Lorn. "Master Lorn, I am not as familiar with the mindset of murderers as most others around here."

Faul sighed. "He is a coward and a filthy monster. That it does tell us!"

"I see." Ziel said with a sigh. He tried to stay respectful of the superior. Then he raised his brows. "The Administrator already answered, he is ready to see you straight away. Guess he must have cleared his schedule for us."

-----

He had obviously awaited them. Administrator Calek Vorn stood at the window overlooking the garden in his huge and luxurious suite within the southern part of the palace. He was wearing a white uniform meant for festivities and with him was an imperial soldier who had the air of a soldier about him, but nodded the arrivals with a polite greeting.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/73/e4/4a/73e44a394afc0cf12b7bb0dea008c051.jpg

Vorn was more nervous than he appeared, as the Shade would feel through his unique ability. The second man was completely calm, centered, almost indifferent. Again Shade could pick that up without the man showing any of it to the outside.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a0/18/d6/a018d67ce05e5371cc5dd4d32737ecb6.jpg

"Greetings. I am Administrator Calek Vorn, the Moffs representative on Naboo. This is my assistant Teros Dell." He did not offer a seat, but did not take one either. "I have been informed about the Handmaidens death. I must say I am terrified who could have done such a terrible crime to a young woman like that." He looked at his assistant. "We just met her yesterday to go through the details of today's festivities." He said and gave a sad smile. The thought seemed to make him more agitated. "She was always so very helpful."

The assistant nodded in agreement. "Can we do anything to help?" He asked the investigators.

"Anything." The Administrator underlined the offer.

---

Ziel had stayed with Lorn in the gardens. Certainly Faul had asked him to keep an eye on things. But he was honestly curious about the man's methods and conclusions.

"Private chambers? Oh I am afraid you gotta ask Faul there. Then again, I was just about to have a look and maybe some company would be nice ... especially if you share what exactly we are looking for?"

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422 @RachelTyrell

12. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Serod Lorn

Serod smiled a thin and acknowledging smile and nodded. He straightened and looked again from the hologram of the victim over to the palace.

"It would be my pleasure to accompany you, investigator." He straightened himself and followed the young man. "I don't think a Handmaiden came into a completely dark garden at night to clear her head. If she did regularly I assume there was a reason. This reason was known to our murderer probably. If there was no reason I'd say she was lured here to be murdered. Anyway the murderer made contact to her in one way or another. He might have known her. So we might find an indicator in her room." He explained as he walked next to Ziel. "Also, I don't think she was ambushed from behind. She was found in the grass. In the complete darkness of night would you take a short cut? Usually you would stay on the path. I think it is possible she realized she was in danger and tried to run. The murderer threatens her or once she saw him she knew he was about to do something to her." He sighed. "It is only a hypothesis, so her room might provide additional insight on the question who had a motive." He sighed and folded his hands again behind his back.

"There is one more thing. This is not an amateurs work. Look at the place. No security, no cover, nobody watching. It is well thought through and executed cold blooded. We are not looking for someone who is a stranger to killing. The murderer has some experience with it." He looked at the young investigator. "The Imperials might not be the ideal faction to investigate this crime. I consider the Imperials within the palace suspects." He watched the reaction of the man closely. "The murder would have ... no matter what the motive ... a political dimension in that case. The slow burning take over of Naboo by the Empire is not a secret."

13. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Naboo

"The Administrator will certainly be available." Ziel replied, he looked like a boy handed a job too big for him. He was managing well but, it was looking like the water was about to reach his eyes. "I'll arrange right away. Also I will check if she had any friends. Many handmaidens are close to each other. I assume someone must have noticed something."

"You do that, which way to the administrator?" Shade asked pointing towards the palace. Directions were given and Shade tried to write them down. Hana next to him didn't miss a beat, though she didn't need to write things down to remember. The woman had a mind like a durasteel trap. Nothing escaped her...nothing.

As they walked they kept a silence between them. Only the sounds of their boots against the marble floor resounded around them.

"So," Shade started finally breaking the painful quiet. "What do you make of Serod Lorn, the Queen's investigator?"

"He seems competent if a little aloof. More focused on the physical evidence than witness statements."

"Sounds familiar." the PI smiled looking at his partner.

"I'll admit there are some similarities. We both prefer logic over narrative. Letting the evidence tell us what happened before he make stories out of whole cloth."

"You wound me Hana," Shade shot back with an over dramatic hand over his heart. She was unmoved. The balosar just smiled. She was working, this wasn't time to be goofing around like he usually did.

Again silence over took the conversation, their footsteps echoing off the vaulted ceilings, and soaring columns. The place from top to bottom looked ostentatious but, he guessed that's what came with being a royal. Though how is one a royal if they are elected? Those were usually life appointments, and achieved by virtue of blood or conquest. Though he really wasn't one to criticize government, not when he was in bed with the Empire, an actual absolute monarchy. He looked to Hana as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Part of him relished the moments she wasn't perfect, when her rank insignia was just missalighted, when just those few strands of hair escaped the very professional bun they were locked in. It made her, living, not just a cog in the Imperial machine.

He was snapped out of his musing when they arrived at the door to the administrators office. Hana knocked sharply. When bidden to enter Shade let Hana lead.

"Ladies and officers first." He whispered as she past him. Following behind he saw a man in a gleaming white uniform standing in front of a window overlooking the gardens. The room was much like the rest of the palace, large, ostentatious, and entirely too much for Imperial Administrator.

The man in the white uniform with armored pauldrons felt nervous, a tingle running down Shade's antennas. Something was getting under his skin. The other man was calm like a still lake. His posture and demeanor screamed military, proper military not just a being given the uniform for being a good bureaucrat.

"Greetings. I am Administrator Calek Vorn, the Moffs representative on Naboo. This is my assistant Teros Dell." The administrator didn't offer a seat, this was either going to be a short interview or a difficult one. Most likely both. "I have been informed about the Handmaidens death. I must say I am terrified who could have done such a terrible crime to a young woman like that." Shade followed Vorn's gaze to Dell, looking for some sign some emotion. "We just met her yesterday to go through the details of today's festivities." He felt a touch of agitation in Vorn as he thought more about festivities. Shade couldn't tell what might be causing it exactly but, something around that conversation or the event itself. "She was always so very helpful."

"Can we do anything to help?" Dell asked with a nod towards the investigator.

"Anything." Vorn added. This brought a arch to Shade's brow.

"Well, we can start with how was she when you last met with her? Was she distressed or distracted? What time did your meeting take place and what time did it end? Did she say where she was going next?"

He let each question be answered in turn, though he kept his senses up waiting for strikes of anger, or nerves. Pushing on questions that got a reaction had worked for him in the past. Maybe it would work again.

TAG: @TheSithGirly

14. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007
    The Administrator's Quarters

Administrator Vorn felt pretty comfortable as he answered the questions himself. Instead of answering them one by one he began to reiterate the last meeting in a fluent narrative.

"Yesterday we discussed the festivities and the General set-up of the courtly traditions. Really pretty boring stuff which made her especially invaluable as she calmly and concentrated went through the points. She was extremely confident and almost proud, I think dealing with ..." Vorn pointed at his advisor probably representing the Empire in this story "... gave her some importance. Compared to the handmaidens who actually had to deal with minor royalty. I mean ... except the Queen aren't they all minor? Those royal clowns?" He showed for the first time a hint of awareness they were among "Imperials". "We began at 1406 and concluded on time for my strategic meeting at 17:00. I saw not the slightest sign of distress or tension on her. Friendly as always. She offered her help of we needed anything and left. Now that you ask ... they really never mention where they go. I guess there must be some place the Handmaidens work and do their bureaucratic duties, right?" He looked at his assistant who had nothing to add and smiled at the investigators. "I am afraid I wasn't much help, was I?"

-----

Handmaidens Chambers

The Chambers Ziel lead Lorn to were surprisingly small. Little more than a room, which was only having the absolute minimum of furniture. The closet was filled with a few private clothes who all seemed to be more male in nature. Then there were a dozen different Handmaiden dresses, sorted by days and occasion. There was a small bed. A desk which was empty. And the most prominent feature was a small personal datastation next to it. It was so dominant because it was having a huge hole inside of it and the inside was almost completely burned out.

"Impossible." Ziel hissed and checked his armwrist computer. "Every shot inside the palace is registered." He stepped forward and looked at the single hole inside the chassis. Ziel looked at Lorn and then around. There was not many personal things lying around actually. The only item that did not felt as if it had been provided was a crystal statue on her desk, that seemed to show a planet of sorts.

In one of the drawers there was a single hold-out blaster, loaded and lying there. There was also her personal comm-unit.

15. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Serod Lorn
    Handmaiden's Quarters

Serod Lorn did not touch anything, but regrettably his colleague was not as careful. "Cone, we got a second crime scene. Can you please come over and make a holo of it? Oh and as you are on it, please identify the blue thing on the desk."

Serod looked at Ziel as he opened the drawer and there was a hold-out blaster inside. He took his colleagues hand and gently pulled it away. "We might find fingerprints and I would prefer not to have you on the suspect list."

He smiled. "How are shots registered? Was the security system probably having any unexpected failures yesterday?"

"Actually could you check if there are any records on door use? The door was locked as we arrived, was it? Or was the room open for everybody to enter?"

16. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007
    Handmaidens Chambers

Ziel immediately let go of the drawer. "You are right, I am sorry." He gasped and then looked at Lorn to answer the questions. "When you shoot a plasma bolt the plasma load explodes and the bolt is fired. This initial explosion the sensors detect." He looked around and then took out his wrist-comm. "Strange." He said and walked to the door. "It was locked from the inside when we arrived. Which is the standard setting. The computer says it was opened three times yesterday from the inside and twice from the outside." Ziel gave it some thought and then smiled.

"I got it. The killer waited for her to leave in the corridor and quickly sneaked in before the door could close!" Ziel was obviously proud of himself having figured this out.

Tag: @RachelTyrell

17. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Naboo

"I am afraid I wasn't much help, was I?"

"No," Hana jumped in ever the political player, "You are helping us establish a timeline. Giving us times for when she was last alive."

Shade furrowed his brow slightly. He seemed rather calm to talk about her. He wasn't even picking up an underlying ache or sadness within him. If he was in a deep relationship with her, he wasn't showing it. But, something had gotten him riled up. Through his words he made it clear he cared not for the puffed up nobles that wished to be treated with unearned respect. The inspector could see that. Though he wasn't detecting any motive right out of the gate but these things can take time.

Beside him he noticed Hana writing down the time the Handmaiden left.

"I take it you don't think much of the festivities, or at least not much of the ahh...local color. I take it relations between yourself and the locals are amicable?"

18. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Serod Lorn
    Handmaiden's Quarters

Serod Lorn looked at Ziel and then sighed. The young man tried to think. That was something.

"A good theory, but regrettably utterly wrong." He smiled at Ziel. "Had he destroyed the data node first he would never have had enough time to set the trap in the garden. No, he came here after the murder. I don't know how he did it, but he managed to enter and destroy the data node. The question is why? I assume this node contained all personal data by our victim. It either revealed who or how she was lured into the trap or something else that had to be kept a secret and in that case it most likely contained the motive." Serod folded his arms and looked at the blaster. She had left it, unaware of any danger. No, she trusted to be save out there. Why? Had she not known in what danger she was? That meant probably she had stumbled upon something without knowing what it was.

Then there was the matter of the alarm that had not gone off. "Who has access to the security system and could manipulate the data?" He asked Ziel, but expected the answer was "nobody". A security system was usually protected against such things.

Cone arrived and the droid silently began his work. When the scan was done he turned to his Master. "Have you figured out who murdered the Handmaiden already, Sir?" He asked bluntly.

"Not yet, Cone." Lorn replied.

"Are you getting old, Sir?" The droid asked. Lorn smiled.

"I am old." He simply replied.

The course of events became clearer, but allowed no insight on the identity of the suspect. Yet, it was not an amateur. The murderer had known what he was doing.

There was also the weapon. The weapon used was the key to the crime.

"Cone, I need you to run a database run into a specific weapon. We are looking at plasma weapons of a very specific kind. I send you the specifications soon. And this crystal art piece. Please identify it's origins."

"Yessir." The droid answered.

Lorn turned to Ziel again. "Who is running the investigation? The Empire or you?" He asked bluntly. "Not officially. Who does really? There was no need to get the Empire involved. So how did we end up with them?" He sighed. "Also could I get a list of all residents of the palace with a military, law enforcement or intelligence background? We should use that list as or suspect list for now."

Lorn nodded to Ziel. "Meanwhile I will retreat and analyze the data." He smiled. "Maybe I can offer some insight later. Could I have a room, please?"

19. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007

Administrator Vorn raised a brow at the question about "the locals".

"Actually I am not known to be a naive man. The Empire has lost most of Naboo's sympathy because of the simple fact we are taking over. But most royals have preferred to buy themselves into my favor instead of opposing me. All except Count Desco, actually. He has been known to openly challenge the Imperial authorities from time to time. Nothing harsh. Just ... noteworthy." The Administrator smiled. "Concerning the festivities ... the Emperor visits the planet. Obviously I am more than pleased to celebrate his birthday. I just wished the Royal had not claimed so much attention."

He was obviously unaware the investigators had probably not known about the Emperor's arrival.

-----

Handmaidens Chambers and Corridors

Ziel provided both the list and the room. He was eager to join the investigator, but Cone ... the ever faithful droid servant ... managed to get rid of him.

Cone delivered the analysis of the weapon on time. He also uploaded the pictures of all the crime scenes.

The Garden, the closed room, the palace plans. All glowed in holographic green at the center of the room.

"Sir, I'd say it is rather obvious this was done by a Naboo Royal who was in love with her. I think we should start questioning them, instead of sitting around here."

20. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Naboo

Hana noted the name Count Desco someone to follow up on at a later time. She doesn't visibly react hearing that the Emperor himself would be here for the festival. Shade could feel her nervousness, though it didn't really show on her face. Shade himself now understood why they were called in and why it felt like this needed to be done quickly. Wence the two investigators from different sides, the undue amount of attention on the loss of a handmaiden. Everything about the storm surrounding this investigation was making sense. The case itself was getting more and more infuriating. He wasn't nervous about the nobles, the festivities were of some import and now with the Emperor himself making an appearance, it is entirely likely that was what was making Vorn nervous. No one liked to displease the Emperor.

"I guess you don't need the headache of an investigation hanging over your head when His Imperial Majesty is due to make an appearance. Want to have everything squared away before that I gather." Wouldn't want to ruin the big man's big day now would we. Shade thought. He was still reading his reaction hoping to have stuck a nerve something he could use in the follow up interview.

21. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Serod Lorn
    His room, Quarters

Serod Lorn turned his head to Cone and leaned back. "Is it that simple? Why do you think so? Because of the Garden? It was a convenient place. Or because she was a handmaiden?" He smiled.

"You are disregarding the evidence. It could have been anyone within the palace. A fellow handmaiden, an Imperial." He shook his head.

"But this isn't any murderer Cone. We are looking at a very special breed here. The locked room." He raised a finger. "That one is the key." He leaned forward. "That needs skills, skills not any of my suspects seem to possess." He folded his arms and looked again at the garden. Then back to the handmaidens room.

"The Empire is a problem. What will they do if the evidence points to one of their own? Will the lady and the alien follow through or will they cover it up? I think we need to be careful here. The answer to this question could be very dangerous."

The weapon, the room. It all began to point into a direction he strongly disliked. But he had taken over the case to find a murderer and he would find him.

"She was said to have left the palace occasionally. Please make me a list of all her trips outside the palace grounds. Time of departure and return. I am sure the security will have registered them."

22. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007

Administrator Vorn smiled calmly, but this time his smile indeed was hiding an inner turmoil. He was afraid of the Emperor, but not only because the investigation could be problem ... there was something much more personal he was afraid of about the investigation. The Emperor not being there just was an accelerator for the fear to spread.

"Obviously for security reasons a murderer in the palace when our beloved Emperor arrives is a less than perfect situation." He lay his head aside. "For all of us, right?"

His aide gave him a look and his emotional state was surprisingly calm, almost amused.

-----

Serod's Chambers

The list was easily provided. The
    victim had left the palace every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Usually she had left in the evening and stayed away until late at night. Then she returned. Recently he trips had become more frequent, with the last two weeks now she had left almost as soon as her shift was over.

The change had begun after her longest absence. A one week absence from the palace entirely. In that week she had not once entered the palace grounds.

"Are you expecting an involvement of the Empire?" Cone asked. "Why would they kill a service person from the royal court?"

23. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Serod Lorn
    His room, Quarters

"We can rule out she was a spy. She is too obvious for one." He looked st the data of her leaving the palace. She had done something out there. Something she could not do on Palace grounds. Had she met someone? Had she worked on something?

Where had she been to for two weeks?

"Anything on the blue art piece in her room?" Serod asked.

"A soul stone from Ukio, Sir. Expensive and useless." Cone replied.

"Can you check if anybody from the place been to Ukio the last ... let's say 24 months." He turned to the hologram again. "An Imperial fortress world known for money transfer if I recall correctly."

Had she been to Ukio in those two weeks? If so why? Was someone stealing from her Queen?

Serod Lorn turned to Cone and nodded. "I think it might be time to talk to the Queen." He had been appointed by her request. Imperials he might not have access to, but probably he did not need any? The Queen would know a lot about her closest confidantes.

"Please have a meeting arranged as soon as convenient for the Queen." He leaned back. "Then check all departures and arrivals an hour before and after her. I want to know if anybody was often the same time away as she was."

The leaving of the palace was key. He had to find out what she had been doing.

"Oh and to answer your question ... the Empire is a bit more known for their rather deadly problem solving techniques. So they are my suspects. Experiences. You know?" Cone had been erased for good reasons after his last run in with the Empire. It had made him come here all those years ago.

24. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Naboo

Shade had to fight the smile on his face as the Administrator made his statement. So there was something else going on, maybe not linked to the loss of Lashi but, something that was maybe moved along by the Emperor's presence. He hadn't reacted too quickly or harshly when Shade had pressed on the relationship between him and the Handmaiden, nor when he mentioned the nobles at the celebration. The only thing that got a rise out of him was the Emperor, which why wouldn't it. He was only the supreme leader of the Glorious Empire, could end your career and your life if he so pleased. Though there was something deeper. The party didn't worry him, though the murder rankled him, the Emperor made him afraid. More than it should...His assistant seemed oddly calm almost happy. There was something else, another something under all of this, not to do with the murder, not to do with the party, and not directly to do with this Imperial Majesty's prenece.

Right now wouldn't be the time to press though he might come back. Give him time to stew a little while Shade gathers more evidence.

"Thank you for your time." The Investigator bows his head. "We'll be in touch, if we have more questions." He turned around and left the office. Holding his head high. Once far enough away from the door he turns with a smile to Hana, "Could you setup a time with Teros Dell, I'd like to interview him, privately. I got a feeling about him."

Hana nodded her head fingers flying over her datapad sending some private message to the Assistant asking for an interview. They would have to see if he accepted.

"Right I think we were going to interview her co-workers next see why she might have been out there at that time of night."

25. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007

Surprisingly the Handmaidens were all very busy, yet none of those who had time for quick conversations could say why a Handmaiden would be out in the gardens. The Emperor was coming and the ceremonial duties of the Handmaidens were many obviously.

Only Tara Tarakis, the Handmaiden working closest with the victim, said "certainly not on official business". The surprising thing was, Shade did not get the feeling that they knew any more than any of them revealed.

Teros Dell was a positive surprise, answering the request right away and inviting them to meet him in his bureau in the part of the palace the Empire used now. When they entered he sat at his desk, with his hands put together as if he was praying.

"I understand you wanted some time with me without the Administrator? I am happy to help." He smiled, basically signaling them this was a good idea.

-----

Serod's Chambers

The Queen had no time at the moment, as she had to prepare the arrival of the imperial majesty.

Yet the names of all people who had left the palace around the same time as her showed up. There were two names which showed up. Relessio Raud, commander of the Imperial Guard and Tauron Amidala, a Royal of Naboo and cousin to the legendary Padme Amidala. Both had left the palace around 30% of the times she did. Never both.

The Ukio list also showed up. Four members of the court had been to Ukio. Administrator Vorn, his assistant Dell and his head of security Cmdr. Raud had all been assigned there until only twelve months ago. The forth person was Araya Lashi, the dead handmaiden. She had spend there the first of her two weeks holiday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.