main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Music Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Finland' started by Darth_Weirdo, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Music. The thing that keeps us going. :)

Welcome to the Music thread. This is a place where you can discuss everything about music. Upcoming conserts, your favourite band/artist, Star Wars music by John Williams etc. You can also make reviews on albums and concerts.

2. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Oh I love music. My favourite genre is progressive rock (check the link in my sgnature) but I listen a lot of other kind of music also. "Modern" music is mostly crap so I like more older stuff.

My favourite groups are Yes and Wigwam (that's greatest Finnish group ever). And of course I love Rolling Stones. I have seen them live two times and I will see them for the third time this summer.

I think that's enough as my first post here. I'll post more later.

3. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    I love the RCHP. I have What hits?, Californication and By The Way. My music taste varies. It's like from John Williams to Green Day and so on.

4. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    From Chemical Brothers to Tool, Radiohead -> Elliott Smith. Strange neighbours in my record collection.
    Almost anything but Rap & HiHop goes.

5. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    I make a quick survey here. I mentioned that I like progressive rock. Do you have any idea what that means?

In my experience if I say that I like prog to somebody there's two possible reactions:
    1) The blank uncomprehending look.
    2) The smug sneer, usually followed by the patronising, sarcastic comment.

So usually in RL when asked what kind of music I like, I just rather tell what I don't like.

So does any of you have any experience about prog rock? And if you don't then which one of the two above-mentioned reaction matches yours?

6. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    I'm not sure whether I'm right or wrong about this, but according to my knowledge progressive rock is a genre of music where the band tries to play as perfect as possible. The music itself consist in every area (guitar, bass, drums etc.) mainly solos.

7. Tintti

Tintti Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2002
    I don't recognise many popular songs and artists, and I have only two (!) music CDs. I usually listen to radio, without knowing the names of the songs or bands. In my opinion some Finnish artists who sing in Finnish are good, but I don't know or remember their names, again.

No, I haven't heard of progressive rock anywhere else except from you, Tod.

8. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I listen to Beck, The Talking Heads, Beastie Boys, and Bjork.... Lot's of techno as well, some Vangelis Here and there. Beatles.... Most anything except for country (Unless it's Johnny Cash)

9. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    Wasn't Nirvana prog-rock?
    Or am I just misinformed, again?

10. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Well since prog rock is indeed very little known genre I try to to explain it briefly. First however I would like to point out that nobody has ever made up a simple explanation for prog rock. But here are some of the main points of prog rock:

• Combines classical music's sense of space and monumental scope with rock's raw power and energy.

• Frequent inclusion of musical styles from other than a rock format (e.g. - classical, R&B, jazz, folk, avant-garde and world music).

• Complex, dynamic and multi-dimensional usually featuring intricate keyboard and guitar playing (often using a Mellotron or string synth to simulate an orchestra backing).

• A blending of acoustic, electric and electronic instruments where each plays a vital role in translating the emotion of compositions which typically contain more than one mood.

• A mixture of loud passages, soft passages, and musical crescendos to add to the dynamics of the arrangements. Extended instrumental solos, perhaps involving some improvisation.

• Multi-movement compositions that center on a core musical theme. Tracks predominantly on the longish side, but structured.

• Subject matter typically drawn from science fiction, mythology, fantasy and utopian literature.

Ok, now that I've briefly explaind what might make music prog, I list few better known prog groups:

-Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELP, King Crimson are the best known british prog groups and Wigwam and Tasavallan Presidentti are the best known finnish groups. Then there are many prog metal groups which are nowadays quite succesful. The best are Symphony X and of course Dream Theater. And LottDodd mentioned Vangelis who has done a lot progressive stuff. But there's a lot of lesser known but just as great prog groups out there.

"I'm not sure whether I'm right or wrong about this, but according to my knowledge progressive rock is a genre of music where the band tries to play as perfect as possible. The music itself consist in every area (guitar, bass, drums etc.) mainly solos."

That's partially correct. Many progressive musicians are extremely talented musicians and most have really studied music theory also. But then there are prog groups like Pink Floyd whose members (not counting Gilmour) are not by any means spectacular players. And no the music is not mostly solos (that depends also a lot from the group).

"No, I haven't heard of progressive rock anywhere else except from you, Tod."

Most people of your age haven't heard either.

"Wasn't Nirvana prog-rock?
    Or am I just misinformed, again?"

Sorry but you're indeed misinformed. Nirvana was about as far from prog rock as one can possibly get.

And if anybody would happen to want to know more about prog rock I recommend you check the link in my signature.

11. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    Nirvana played grunge.

Thanks Tod, now we know about that musical area. :)

12. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    "Nirvana was about as far from prog rock as one can possibly get."
    [face_laugh]
    Grunge, proge, I'm always messing up with the genre names...

dEUS plays alt.rock with some elements from blues & jazz (so I've heard). dEUS is great.

13. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I'm from Washington State... I saw Nirvana Play a Local Club in Spokane before Nevermind hit. Then I moved to Chicago... It was Wierd! We wore Flannel SHirts because Pine Trees had Sap, that would get on you... In the Midwest, People wore Flannels Because Ambercrombie & Finch Carried them and they Saw it on Mtv...

14. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    What do you think of the Red Hot Chili Peppers? RHCP is one of my favorite bands. Also Green Day, Offspring, Nirvana, Metallica, Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne etc. And from Finland Lordi, Nightwish, ismo Alanko.

15. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Reminds me of High School... I have a Couple of Chilie Peppers Albums... I always liked them, but was never over the top about them. I tended to listen to spacier, trippier music at that time... but that was probably due to the Halucenigenics I was Taking back then...

16. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    but that was probably due to the Halucenigenics I was Taking back then

LOL! [face_laugh]

My music taste is quite wide. I even listen to Star Wars music. [face_plain] Along with heavy metal.

17. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I don't know if they are from Finland... I think they may be form Sweden. But I've heard about some sort of Scandinavian Death Rock Mafia... This might have been a couple years ago and I'm fuzzy on the Details. But I heard that there were several competing "Satanist" Heavy Metal bands and they got really heavy into the Occult. Anyway they started offing each other, and I guess several Rival Band Members killed each other like they were Biggie and Tupak...

Does this sound familiar to you?

18. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    The Norwegian Black Metalists... [face_laugh]
    Those guys with huge leather arm-thingies with hundreds of nails & spikes, black and white faces, 'singing': "ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖRGH! BRÖÄÄÄÄÄRGH!"
    [face_laugh] [face_plain] :mad:
    Crap.

The two latest RHCP-albums were so overplayed in radio that I don't want to hear them ever again. But the older albums & songs are better because I haven't overheard them. Yet.

Anyone ever heard of Grandaddy? (the Sophtware slump). That was a nice one. Peaceful. A few years ago, when I was watching a F1-race and herr Schumacher won instead of Mika I was so pissed off that I listened to Sophtware Slump for 12 hours on repeat. Then I was relaxed and in a really good mood.
    Strange, eh?

19. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    Very strange indeed. ;)

I remeber seeing in The Osbournes when they had a little argument with the neighbours. Ozzy's son played some Norwegian black metal and it was just like ISD said.

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖRGH! BRÖÄÄÄÄÄRGH!

LOL! [face_laugh]

But still Norway is a beautiful place. And a great country, but the black metal just won't work for me. ;)

20. KYP_DURRON85

KYP_DURRON85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2003
    This is funny concience!I just came from my room where i was listening RHCP:By The Way!
    Ijust own this one RHCP album,but i have some its older songs in my c...enought saying!
    Aerosmith is also good.I have 6 Aerosmith albums and they'r great...but it has been longtime since i'v listened those CD's.
    I love allkind music from John Williams to Jope Ruonansuu. :D

21. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    Aerosmith is cool! :D I have lot's of songs from them. The best one, of course, is Dream On.

From RHCP I have By The Way, Californication nad What Hits?.

22. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I know a couple of Drunk Girls who LOVE the Black Metal... that's who I was thinking of. They just like to get wasted and "Thrash" as they call it...

23. darttis

darttis Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2003
    The number one band for me is Rammstein, the German hard rock/metal playing group. It doesn't make any sense why I'm interested in this kind of music, I'm no gothic girl. Maybe it's my twisted mind who finds Rammstein's lyrics attractive, who knows.

Also Korn, System of a Down and Slipknot have found their way to my CD collection.

For Star Wars music my ultimate favourite is "Imperial March". I like "Princess Leia's Theme" too, it's a nice piece to play with a piano. But to stretch my fingers I play the piece "The Emperor Arrives".

For other Williams's music I must say that "Schindler's list theme" and "Jurassic Park theme" are some fine pieces to play and listen.

24. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    My oldest sister listens to Black/Death/Doom-metal. Before that she listened to crap like bsb:mad:...

I have the SOAD:SOAD, and it's weird. But in a strange way I like it. "Science" is great although I couldn't disagree more with the message, but it's great anyways..

25. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    I like Rammstein. German lyrics and heavy metal just somehow fits together. I wonder why. ?[face_plain] 8-}

Also System Of A Down and Korn. They also are good. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.