main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Atris costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Atris, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    I made this costume for CV and have worn it to a few cons since, including CVI. There's more pics on my page in my signature :)

I love Atris. I think she's such an undeveloped character that could have been really cool. And I really wish she would have faced off with Nihilus like in the promotional art. Would have been an awesome fight.

[​IMG]

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Great job!!

Atris likes this.
  3. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I really like how the tabards turned out. And nice details, like the pattern on the robe trim. :)

4. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Great photo, and interesting choices on the costume. Always great to see other KOTOR costumers!

5. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks, I took this photo :)

I'll assume by interesting choices you mean my decision to use blue instead of white, lol.

6. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    That's one, as well as the shape- in the game, her skirt never splits apart, so while I've seen more than one costumer use a kimono as a base shape for the costume, it's never struck me as being accurate to the game. I like the way it looks, but it strikes me more as "Atris inspired" than actually an Atris costume. Like a young Atris, or something like that. It won't get you into the Rebel Legion, but if that's not your goal, then all that matters is that you love it. :)

7. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    It's funny, because I was actually approached by someone from the Rebel Legion at the last Celebration to join, but I didn't because I know my costume isn't accurate.

You're right, I suppose it's more inspired. I wanted to make this costume as my interpretation of her. I love the character, and her look, but I always felt like the all white ensemble was really dull - the solid color blended together so much that the details ceased to exist. I also didn't want to look like a snowman walking around :p So I chose a light blue to compliment the lightsaber and still tie the theme of who I am together. You're actually the only person who has ever pointed it out - I was wondering when it would happen lol. My boots are grey, too, but that's just because I was so in love with how "jedi" they looked, and they only had them in grey, so I settled.

As for the split - I always just assumed it was portrayed more as a dress in the game because of laziness on the designer's part, because the style is obviously kimono, especially with the bun in the back. But hell, I'd much rather wear a dress, it's difficult to walk in it! :D

This costume is long from finished, though, and someday I want a more silky fabric for the robe portion, because I'd rather her look like she does in the concept art, with that flowing robe - and maybe I'll do a dress instead when that time comes. I think I might keep the blue tabards though, I just like that combination :) Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

BookExogorth likes this.
  8. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    This is actually the image that I chose to base my costume off of, and the reason I chose that color blue :) -

[​IMG]

9. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    And I saw that you were highlighted as one of the Her Universe fangirls of the day! Congrats!!

10. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013

11. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Ahh, Aimo. I do love her art.

The kimono cut is actually a really interesting discussion to me, as I know that's a popular choice, I just don't think that's the actual style. It's pretty obvious she's heavily referential of Jocasta Nu, just a hell of a lot more monochromatic, haha. I hear you on the white-on-white; that stuff doesn't photograph particularly well, but it worked in the game.

But let's take a look at the model for a moment:

[​IMG]

See how far to the left the wrap detail goes, and the angle it takes? It's not physically possible for that to be a kimono cut dress; not in the traditional sense. I'll give a pass on dresses that wrap all the way around to the side rather than to the center, but even there, take a look at the skirt- you can't see a line for the wrap detail anywhere there. And that's something that's consistent through all the concept art I've found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (side note: damn, that whole silhouette is just entirely badass.)

Not to mention, as you've said, a dress would be a lot easier to walk around in. :p

If you're looking for a better flowing fabric for future versions of your costume, may I recommend bamboo rayon? It's one of my favourite textiles because it just flows and drapes so well, and is my choice for if I ever get around to making an Atris costume. Really easy to work with, too. I can't recommend it enough.

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    OMG Bamboo rayon. AMAZING fabric.

13. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    She looks much better in the concept art than in the game.

Atris likes this.
  14. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    Agreed. That's why I chose concept art as a basis rather than strictly in game lol.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have nothing to contribute to the discussion on detail (I do think the costume looks pretty cool and the concept art is superior to the game art, though that is understandable.).
    I do however find this super interesting since I'm still learning to sew and I don't yet have an eye for how details work, or even really what to look for, especially making a garmet based off something else where you don't have a pattern.

I probably would not have paid attention to how you don't see the skirt wraping around or just how far the wrap at the top goes. Now I am. :)

(I know there's tons to read in this forum, and I certainly have done so, but it's nice to see a live-ish discussion.)

16. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    :D :D :D

Life complete. Now I just need Brian Menze's approval.

[​IMG]

17. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Brian Menze is the nicest person. I met him in my Visas Marr costume, and he gets really excited about seeing people in costumes he designed.

And Mavis, for me, it's just from years of learning to look for more and more detail. It's certainly not something I would have caught when I first started costuming, but eight years and fifteen costumes later, I've learned a lot about looking for the small things, since those are the things that really sell it. It's great to have someone recognize your mostly accurate costume, but when they keep looking closer and it keeps being amazing, that's extra fun. :)

18. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    Looks great! Just my two cents, I know they have her in a skirt, but really, who fights in a skirt? I think that traditional Japanese hakama pants (http://www.karatejoes.com/assets/images/032-lg.jpg) would look good with this costume! Nicely done, especially with lupus. That sucks. I have fibromyalgia and it makes costuming a b-- sometimes!

19. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh, I definitely agree! They would look really nice with this.

And oh, my god, I feel awful. I don't actually have lupus - I was making an apparently awful joke in reference to the recurring joke on House where they always assume the patient has lupus, until the one time they don't, and they actually did have lupus. I went to the hospital because they thought I had appendicitis, but it ended up being an ovarian cyst that had ruptured - still painful, but nothing near as awful as a chronic illness like fibromyalgia must be. I'm really sorry you suffer from that :/

20. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005

That still sucks! Don't worry, it wasn't a bad joke, I like the show too. :)

21. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    Agreed there should have been some form of engagement from Nihilus and Atris... really disappointing since that was part of main marketing art...

Well done on the look! Costume, props, and you of course!!! WOW...

22. Sithaldo

Sithaldo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    Amazing effort. I really like that.