main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Farewell to the 3NS Community - and a Reflection On My Time as Your Moderator

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mace Windy, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    If only we could convert this forum into a Non-Spoiler Forum for the TV shows.

-Seldon

2. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Thank you for all that you have done, especially with the keeping out of the trolls.

3. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    Windy, you were good enough to let me into this forum despite my being new to the JC at the time, and I have always apprecited that. And your work as mod has been exceptional, as has Garth's (and stinrab's before him); we really never had a significant troll/spoiler problem, which was great.

For Billy Dee Binks and Seldon, there is a "successor" forum out there:

http://cantina.virtualvillagesquare.com/forums.php

A bunch of 3NS'ers have already joined. :)

WJE

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    W_J_E, thanks--I already knew and registered. It just won't be the same.

Darth-Seldon

5. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    this place was great! will certainly be missed.
    much thanx to the mods!!!

6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Much attachment to this board, we all have. Afraid to lose it, we are. Learn to let go of the things we care about, we must.

7. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    So my eyes didn't decieve me, good luck Windy me local boy. I'm not gonna say goodbye, cause I know both you and Garth will be back. You can't live without us :p

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You may be right. But it is the right time to leave.

Windy - thanks for everything.

You really showed me the ropes after my illustrious predecessor, stinrab stepped down, and I agree that we really connected as a team.

The 3NS, especially long-time members, probably don't realize how much behind the scenes work my partner put in. The administrative crap and registration issues take up a lot of time, and it's generally not very rewarding, nor visible. ;)

Windy was always concerned about keeping the humor and energy of 3NS up, especially when things were dull and it seemed like forever until May 19th, 2005.

Thanks for all the lessons, and good luck in Darth RL. :D

9. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, there were definitely some dark and slow times in here, with cobwebs clutching at the corners. I do remember you guys trying to come up with ideas to spice things up.

10. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Thanks for everything, Windy. This forum is what it is because of all you mods, present and former. Keeping the trolls out and letting the good folk in can't have been easy, but it was worth it, and the forum is definitely a better place for it. Glad you'll be sticking around.

11. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    I've been coming back to this thread for the past couple of days, not sure of how to reply to Windy's initial post. Should I make some sappy statement on my time spent here at the various NS forums or just make a sarcastic joke?

Since I've got quite a few drinks in me and I'm running out of time to come up with anything witty (only two more days until the 19th :( ), I guess I'll be going with semi-sappy - but first, a confession:

I never really gave a **** about staying spoiler-free. [face_devil] I mean really, what difference does it make whether you know what happens to who, or when? When you get right down it - it's only a movie. And this is coming from someone who lived and breathed Star Wars as a kid. //shrugs They're only movies.

But sometime in late '99 I stumbled across the NS forum here at the JC and got hooked on the vibe. Like Windy said, it was basically just me, him and Mara posting regularly at first. I was working a job where I had nothing to do and internet access, so I had all the free time to surf and post, and the NS forum was just more intimate - you could actually have a conversation instead of just being a voice in the crowd.

So I hung around, and that was that - I've been posting in the NS forums with varying frequencies ever since. Not because I was dedicated to staying spoiler-free, but the because the NS was a closer-knit community than the rest of the JC. A forum that encouraged discussions, friendships, and had an overall feel of respect. Posters genuinely enjoyed reading and responding to what everyone else had to say.

All the mods of this forum have done a good job over the years. Mara, Mr. P, cb, Oak, stinrab, Garth...all of them put their mark on the NS forum. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a fondness for Mara and Windy because we were the first 3 regulars way back in '99. (And I still claim the sexual tension between the two of them was undeniable)

I don't know how many hours I've spent here at the NS forum. Too many, probably. :D It's become a constant, daily part of my life. I've always dropped in to read threads, even if life intervened and I haven't posted nearly as much as I used to, or wish I could. Since I became member in 1999 I've bought my first house, changed jobs, become a father twice, lost friends...and this place has always been here.

And Windy has always strived to make this forum better. He more than anyone else (sorry Mara [:D] ) has made this place what it is. I've tried to put my finger on exactly how he's influenced the 3NS but what it comes down to is - he set the example. In addition to just the sheer amount of personal time he sacrificed to keep this place running smoothly, he's put his stamp on every post in every thread. I honestly don't think this forum would be nearly as successful as it is without him.

So as this forum nears its end, I just want to thank you, Windy, for helping to make this place the place to be at the JC. I look forward to keeping in touch at the Cantina. [face_peace]

12. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    Windy,

You have done an excellent job here as a mod in the 3NS. Your dedication and hard work is one of the reasons why this community did so well. 3NS is a reflection of the effort put forth by you, Garth, stinraband Mara. But not only that, it also shows that a great board cannot exist without great people. And that is why it went so well. You and the others did a fantastic job so that we, the fans, could get the best possible spoiler-free experience and it will always be appreciated. Thanks for all your efforts, Windy, they will not be forgotten and you have something in your life you can always look back and be proud of. Good luck with everything.

-origjedi

13. Darth_Surgent

Darth_Surgent Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

14. BescinPrix

BescinPrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2004
    So, is this when we topple Mace Windy's statue and start celebrating!?

Just kidding, Windy. :p

I tried to join this forum pretty much as soon as I registered to the boards, and a wise moderator said I had to wait until I had made more posts, so that he could verify that I wasn't a Troll. Though I have to admit that it bugged me when he said that (specially since I read a lot of posts in here, but I reply very little - I have been here since Oct '04, and I still don't have 200 posts...) , I recognize the wisdom, and the need, for such an action.

Mace, Garth, you guys did an awesome job as modereators (Stin, I don't think I got to be here while you were "ruling"), and thanks to you I always knew I'd be spoiler-safe in here. Thanks for all the dedication you have put into this, and may the Force accompany you in your future endeavours!

15. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Thanks for accepting me into the forum, Windy. The 3NS is probably what kept me coming back to the TF.N forums. It's such a close-knit community that I felt like I belonged here within a week. I wish I could have met all of you at C3. I really can't believe it's been a month since I walked out of Episode III for the first time, after all that waiting. Even though I didn't join this forum until relatively late in the game, It was still a great ride. It sucks that it has to end :(

16. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    Thank you so, so much Windy and Garth. Today's the last day of 3NS...I'm sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.