main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by moosemousse, Sep 3, 2012.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Rainbow Dash!! She's at least 20% cooler than every other pony put together! Although, Princess Luna is pretty awesome too. There's not enough of her though, but the Halloween episode she was in was great.

Oh, and I'll be adding an index to the first post at some point.

2. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I've been outlining (i.e., throwing ideas into the pot) an AU for A Canterlot Wedding and half the ideas I get are for the villain and half for Rarity. I'm not sure if this is because Rarity has the most on-screen Canterlot connections or because she's actually my favorite character.

On the other hand, I've been listening to the Doctor Whooves and Assistant fan-made audio dramas and may be in love with Derpy . . .

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Mine is Trixie. I think she got screwed in 'Boast Busters' and isn't nearly as bad as the fandom makes her out to be. I have a thing for side-characters, you see.

4. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Er, do I want to know just how bad bad is? [face_morbidly_curious]

That's one of the gripes I have about MLP:FiM. The antagonists are rarely given the screen time they need - and, IMO, deserve - so that their characters can be fleshed out. When I think of the amazing things they did with the Mane Six, I find it . . . unsatisfying . . . that so much potential was wasted. Which, I suppose, is why my head seems stuffed with MLP plot bunnies at the moment.

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Some bronies make her out to be completely nasty with no redeeming features, that everything in the damned episode is her fault, that she's completely evil...

Is some of it deserved? Yeah. She was a bit of a jerk. But if Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow Dash had simply kept their damned muzzles shut instead of talking loud enough for Trixie to hear them and then outright heckling her 49 seconds into her act! :mad: Not to mention she fought the damned Ursa Minor while they did literally nothing but stand and shake in fright.

6. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Oh, I dunno about the heckling part . . . Trixie's a performer, ergo she knows she won't have a captive audience every time. Therefore, she would have figured out how to use them to her advantage. I may be giving her a little too much credit, but I think provoking ponies onstage is part of her act. They challenge her, she beats them, her claims of being the greatest are proven, QED.

In this case, her primary talent would be that of observation, of reading people's strengths and weaknesses in a very short time period. Her telekinetic magic seems centered on very focused and fine control (and simultaneously on multiple objects as well!), which would work perfectly against ponies but be useless against brute power.

Which brings me to her stand against the Ursa. Right now I'm leaning toward having a panic attack out of sheer terror. Or perhaps she'd been lying so long she couldn't stop acting the part even in a life-or-death situation. Or maybe she was stalling for time, or being just plain stupid, or planning on getting the Ursa's attention and then running away just fast enough to keep it on her heels as she headed out of town, or . . .

That's the thing about MLP:FiM's portrayal of antagonists: they're so open to interpretation ficcers can use them whatever way they want. I'm not sure whether to be irritated or relieved.

7. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    ore Oh, she definitely should have plans in case of hecklers, but I think if they hadn't said anything, then Trixie would've had an actual act that didn't involve the audience.

As for the Ursa, for me, she fought it. She could've escaped. She could've pushed Snips and Snails forward as a sacrifice. She could've done nothing... but she didn't. She fought it, she tried against it. More than what her hecklers could say.

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't think Trixie was all that bad. Sure, she was a show off and a liar, but I think she just wanted attention and for people to think she was good. Unfortunately, her lie about the Ursa Major led Snips and Snails to go and find one, but she did fight it, however ineffectual she was. I think this shows that she has some redeeming qualities, even if she does show and makes out to be better than she is. I wouldn't mind seeing her again, maybe having realised that her showing off was wrong and actually being nice to other ponies.

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Trixie shouldn't apologize for 'showing off'. She's a showmare. It's literally part of her job to brag and boast to get an audience. Dash and the others should apologize for interrupting her show, then mocking her at the end when they did nothing against the Ursa while she gave an honest effort against it.

This is one of the problems-the many problems-I have with Boast Busters. It's a good moral, but how it's presented is absolutely horrid and mean. Was Trixie a jerk? Yeah. Did she take it a bit too far? Maybe... although when Rarity committed vandalism and destruction of private property I wanted the police called on her:mad:. She acted badly to Snips ans Snails, and ran off.

But her cart and everything inside was destroyed. And those responsible, Snips and Snails, got mustaches as punishment. And as childish as it sounds, the Mane Six started it. They could've walked away or shut up during the opening 49 seconds of Trixie's show, but for some ungodly reason these three-who are hypocrites, mind you, and boast plenty themselves-decided that Trixie's magic show was too much.

In Spanner in the Works, after the climax, Trixie will do two things. She will thank Twilight for saving her life, then she will ask Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow Dash one simple question. "If you didn't like my show, why the helI didn't you just walk away?!"

*Ahe* Sorry. It's a bit of a touchy subject for me. I don't like 'protagonist-centered morality', and Boast Busters is a prime example of that.

10. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Er . . . YJK. Please tell me why it's different, morality-wise.

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    The three hecklers are hypocrites, criticizing Trixie's 'boasting'. Applejack hawks apples daily, Rarity puts on a fashion show in 'Suited for Success' that dwarfs Trixie's stage and Dash's forelegs must be tired from patting herself on the back all day. They took offense to Trixie from the second she appeared, for some reason that I still do not get. There is no reason for their actions and come off as huge jerks, but we're supposed to take their side of Trixie's, and the main reason is, 'because they're the main cast'. Dash says it's not Trixie's job to go strutting around... except it is her job. Literally.And when the Ursa comes in, she fights it. They don't... and mock her genuine efforts.

Again, is Trixie perfect or completely faultless, no. But the lion's share falls on them, Snips and Snails.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Has anyone else been getting the comics? I've been really enjoying them so far and the new arc is off to a great start. They've also got a microseries with an issue for each of the mane six. It's not going to be as consistent as the main series as each issue has a different writer and artist but it is good to have a whole issue just about one pony.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I think I'm gonna wait for the trades for those.

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Aww, but you'll miss out on covers like this (which is the one I got):

[​IMG]

The best part is that the box says 'fanfiction' on it. :D

I did try looking for TPBs of the comics but couldn't find anything, sorry. I'll keep an eye and post if something comes up though.

15. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks. And trades usually have the covers printed in the back, too. ;)

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  17. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    *looks at avatar*

Yeah, I think I'll be welcome here.:cool:

So, would anypony be willing to read a MLP/FOTJ crossover?

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm, what's the story, fluffy?

19. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    It starts near the end of Allies. On the way to Abeloth's planet, Luke Ben, and Vestara crash the Jade Shadow on an uncharted planet, which they find is filled with multicolored, sentient ponies.

Meanwhile, Twilight Sparkle makes a surprising discovery: Everypony has been replaced by a changeling. Equestria now has a full-scale changeling invasion on its hands.

Luke and co. meet up with the Mane 6 (well, 5 at this point) and, realizing the Elements of Harmony could be used to stop Abeloth, agree to team up. But before they can use the, they must first figure out a way to get offplanet and save Twilight from her insanity, as well as defend against a terrifying g new villain...

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    How much of LotF will there be in it? I've not read those books but I'm interested in reading this. I don't want to be confused, that's all.

21. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah, I... disliked anything past the YJK in Star Wars, barring Legacy and even that has problems for me. Heck, my crossover idea was right after 'Courtship of Princess Leia' Luke finds Equestria and goes to learn from Celestia and Luna.

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    So the new series has started and I find myself stuck as to how to watch it. The place I normally watch it doesn't seem to be doing it and I don't know where to look. Also, my comic supplier went under and so I'm going to miss out on a few issues until I can sort out another subscription somewhere else. It's not good.

As an aside, who's seen Equestria Girls? I kinda liked it. It was pretty much what I expected it would be so it wasn't disappointing, but it still could have been better. Now all I have to do is hope that they'll release this and the season sets, ever.

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I've seen it. I liked it, for the most part.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm curious, how many people here have the DVD sets? If you have them, where did you get them from? I live in the UK and none of the season sets are available here, which sucks. I've seen somewhere that the Australian releases are PAL like the UK and don't have any region encoding. I'm just wanting to get the season sets but I'm just at a complete loss as to how.

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I got them off amazon.