main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC My mouth is now their playground.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Nov 30, 2022.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    How’s that for a thread title? Well you clicked on it…

Yesterday was my first appointment at what we in the U.K. call a “teaching hospital”. I’m sure there are similar institutions wherever you’re from, but mine specifically is a dental hospital which is part of the NHS, which alongside treatment provides education and training to future dentists.

Down the line I need a couple of implants. The course of action to get there is that I need restorative work on the jaw itself, namely bone grafts due to decay. This is in part due to age, and I’ll be honest my own fault, I could have looked after myself better over the years.

I basically said to the consultant that I’d be prepared wherever they deemed appropriate for a post-graduate dentist there to “have at it” (my actual words). I guess it’s “challenge accepted”, as I’m going back in this Friday for what sounds like a pretty extensive deep clean. They’re going to numb one half of my mouth, clean, and then repeat on the other side. I’ve been to the hygienist a few times in my life - never before has it required local anaesthetics.

So yeah, I’ve never been one who is scared of dentists, but I’ll be honest, while I’m happy that the process is about to start, I’m crapping myself a little about Friday.

PS, a big night out to celebrate my 50th has been in the works for this Friday for about a month now. A bunch of people have all gotten the “pass” from their missus’ and we were/are due to be going out out in town. I’m probably not going to make it am I? At the very least I go with a numb face and in agony once the painkiller wears off. Oh well, we’ll see.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Jedi Ben, solojones, Pensivia and 6 others like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    An example of true bravery at the JCF? I think so.

3. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    More like thrift. It’ll all be free.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Bravery and thrift can be a powerful combination. Let’s call it…thravery.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It's like there's a party in your mouth and everyone's invited!

solojones likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's gonna feel like there's a Donner Party in his mouth.

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Here is a video of the students at the dental school.

I was expecting this to be about RC Cola and fun dip.

Student Dentists. That’s deal with the devil.

8. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    When the student is ready, my mouth will appear.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I hope it is inside of your mouth that the student becomes the master.

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Punk, I've done the same thing - got a dental operation from post-grad dentists - and I can safely say:

Pull out now.

Seriously, Pick up that phone and call them. Say you've changed your mind. The horror! There's a reason these people aren't dentists yet.

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    But I like a bit of pain.

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    There were four floors, right. I was on the fourth. They stuck a crowbar-sized drill in my tooth - it was so large, my mouth had to remain as wide open as possible - and then they said: "Oh, we forgot to take a photo. Let's do that now. It's on the ground floor".

Bor Mullet and Darth Punk like this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    yeah, what Watto said. It's one thing to let the kids extract a few teeth but sounds like you need a very competent dental surgeon for e.g. the bone grafts. I had one of the best local surgeons around for an implant and it still messed up. He had to go in, clear everything out and start from scratch. It took like 2 years to get through it all. The pain was Hellraiser Cenobite level exquisite.

14. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016

15. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    My most involved dental procedure to date was a small gum graft last year. Big mistake I made there was not having made sure to have picked up my post-procedure pain med BEFORE going to the appointment. What they gave me during the procedure itself wore off amazingly quickly--as in it already started hurting as hubby was getting me in the car to go home. Then within minutes it got pretty bad and I became a moaning mess as hubby was driving like a maniac to the nearest pharmacy. So that's my tip--get all your pain meds in hand beforehand, and good luck![face_good_luck][face_good_luck][face_good_luck]

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Jesus. @Darth Punk, listen to the wise people. Cancel!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Never.

I’m strong - like Novocaine Bear.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    [Marathon Man] Is it safe?

solojones, Sarge and Darth Punk like this.
  19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    UPDATE: Nothing much happened at Friday’s appointment - which meant I was able to go out Friday night - which meant I’ve been terribly hungover.

I digress. So Friday I met the hygienist. She’s not a student. There were students present though. She had a preliminary gouge around, measuring the gaps between tooth and gum with an adorable yet painful miniature ruler.

I’m booked back in for the next two Fridays for the cleaning.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Would you rather go to a student dentist or student psychologist?

21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Is that even a thing? Not in Murica I’d imagine, where psychology is synonymous with doling out medication - and I’d imagine you’d have to be fully qualified to have that ability.

Anyway, what a silly question. You got way more response than it deserved.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I fully support your use of teaching institutions. I do the same myself. But you might try dental fellows instead. These people already have full dental degrees but are just further refining their skills in a certain subset. It's a very good balance between contributing to the educational process and being taken care of one's self.

23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    At this stage I’m happy to go along with the NHS. I’ll have to look into Dental fellows and see if it’s a thing in the U.K.

24. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Glad you were able to go out for your birthday celebration @Darth Punk!

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I don't know about Psychiatry. Psychology there are definitely students though, my friend did that on the way to her PhD.