main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "My Name is..Shazam! Fury of the Gods!"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bilbo Fett, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I bought my tickets to see Shazam! two weeks before it's wide release in the US.

‘Shazam!’ To Preview Two Weeks Before Opening Via Fandango Screening Program

Master_Lok and TiniTinyTony like this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I’m surprised it’s so low.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Have tickets for next Saturday. This week is now going to drag. Everything about this film looks so brilliantly handled.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I wanted to buy my tickets directly from Regal, but you have to though Fandango. It's so weird that the theater can't offer the promotion, but a third party vendor can?

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Dude... it's Fandango's promotion.

Go to hell, Tony.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    You and Fandango can go to hell. And take Shazam with you.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I bought my tickets for the premiere in IMAX. I'm excited. Zachary Levi is awesome.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    @Master_Lok - did you see this live and in person!? :p

[​IMG]

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Sadly no.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Zac looks pretty darn cut in the black and plaid coat in that photo. I enter and exit on the opposite side of said building. That would have been fun to see. I guess he’s here doing press.

Hopefully going to the Fango early preview this coming Saturday. I actually wanted to go to the Regal up the block from said building, but there were no good seats left for the 4:00 p.m. screening, so we picked another theater closer to my train home.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Shazam's at 97% on RT, with the first 36 reviews in.

Happy days are here again.

13. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Just came from seeing it. I enjoyed it a lot. Zachary Levi did a great job and the kids were used well. Strong’s Sivanna was good but a bit one note by the end.

It’s also hard to deny the movie is a bit more goofy than other DC films- the wizard’s robe looks a bit too halloween costume-like. But overall, enjoyable film and good take on most of the Marvel family.

Unfortunately with such a large cast we only get a cursory look at some of the family (Mary and Pedro in particular are underused) but Darla and Freddy get some nice development.

Good film but not as as good as Wonder Woman and Aquaman- but it doesn’t have to be. This one was made to be taken less seriously and it works as “Big” with superpowers - and there is a great nod to “Big” in one scene.

14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So I couldn’t make it to this or Captain Marvel today...not the end of the world. I am glad folks enjoyed it.

15. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    The reviews are glowing--better than Wonder Woman and certainly Aquaman.

If this year's Joker succeeds, it's safe to say DC will escape Snyder's shadow.

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I loved it. Imagine if someone condensed pure joy and happiness into a 2+ hour film. That’s Shazam.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just got back from it. Really, really excellent. On the whole I thought it was better than Captain Marvel, but luckily there's no real need to compare. Great performances, great special effects. I might rank it a notch or two under Wonder Woman, but it's right up there.

To the degree that Snyder's vision still has anything at all to do with this movies, it's because there are a couple of moments that are direct comedic responses to some of the sillier things in his movies. It's definitely out from under his shadow for good now; they're still poking fun at his vision a bit, but that's the extent of his vision bleeding into this movie.

Well, actually, there is one scene now that I think about it, that's a little Snyder, but it works really well because it's in contrast to everything else going on here.

18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm really excited by these positive reviews. Rewatched Wonder Woman today in celebration of the DCEU. I've so enjoyed all the films so far and am excited for the new direction too. Great time to be a fan.

Master_Lok and Yodaminch like this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I found it interesting that were were some Snyder elements in the film, considering Shazam! started out as a New Line Cinema studio movie and I was believe to have no real connection to the Snyder films or the DCEU as a whole, as this 2014 Entertainment Weekly article notes:
    Perhaps, there was a shift in thinking during the production of this film and WB felt like they needed Shazam! to be a closer connected film to the rest of the Worlds of DC, which was a good decision as many film goers will make this film connect to the larger DC Film Universe.

I enjoyed Shazam! but not on the same level as those who has posted in this thread that have seen the film. I have my issues with the film, but I'll save for later; sometime after the film gets its wide release.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Master_Lok likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Since both of you have seen the film, do you remember what your ticket stub said? My ticket stub said "Fandango Event" and the marquee over the theater room the movie was screening also said "Fandango Event." As a once collector of movie ticket stubs, I was disappointed it didn't say "Shazam!"

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I didn’t have a physical ticket, just a QR code on my phone for “Fandango Early Access: Shazam!”

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Shazam is "certified fresh" at 93%, which was ultimately Wonder Woman's final score. Only 81 reviews in, so could drop, but unlikely below 90.

93, 65, 40, 93, 27, 27, 56.

Certainly been a journey.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    We had phone tix ,too, but they printed our stubs at the entry and they only had "Fandango Event" on them, as well.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

I don't recall. I did have a physical ticket, but I don't do the ticket stub thing, so I didn't notice.

In all seriousness, they probably do that on purpose so ticket stub collectors will be forced by their OCD to buy a ticket to another showing.