main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "My Name is..Shazam! Fury of the Gods!"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bilbo Fett, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think most people will enjoy this film. For me, it just ran too long at 2h2m.

All most of the YouTube reviews that I saw had the film at an "A" score, with the comments of "I can't wait to see this movie again." I'm doubting that I see this movie again during it's theatrical release with Pet Sematary, Hellboy, The Curse of La Llorona and Avengers: End Game on my list of movies to see this month. If I were to give this movie a letter grade, it would be a "B." Just a few tweaks away from being great. I certainly enjoyed it more than Aquaman.

Anyway, I can't wait to read all the reactions to the film.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    @Diggy since you posted in the main DC threat that you've seen this movie, would you see it again?

Diggy likes this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Shazam has held its RT score with well over 200 reviews. Looks like a great weekend for the second of four superhero movies out from now until Avengers 4.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I would see it again, I doubt I’ll pay anything above redbox to see it again. My cinema does do $5 tuesdays, but if I do that, it would be for Pet Semetary. And then it’s on to End Game. So I’m pretty much in the same boat as you.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I loved everything about this film. Probably even more than Wonder Woman, if only because the third act was better.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I should put this on here, too.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Thought I was going to going to have to put this off until a Sunday afternoon showing (not the optimal condition to see an event film) since I wanted to give Pet Semetary the Friday night slot since horror audiences tend to be front loaded. Thankfully, my Sat night opened up at the last moment so I caught it with an audience.

Really fun film, can pretty much echo everything Diggy posted above. Especially that spoiler tag moment (which, really, don't spoil yourself on- the trailers did a great job of not even hinting at it, and it really is a wonderful surprise and one of the best moments in a DCEU/WODC film so far). The third act just used the premise's mechanics very well.

I also enjoyed the level of horror in the film too. Nothing overtly gory but the film didn't shy away from semi-creepy/disturbing visuals. But just the right amount for a semi-kid/family film in the way 80's kids films would often do.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It got pretty good reviews here in the UK, from what I've seen/heard. Kids are off school now til after Easter so I suspect showings will be crowded.

9. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I saw Shazam! yesterday and it is an excellent movie. It is very humorous and has a good cast playing likable characters. The audience was really engaged and vocal; there was a lot of laughing. Great time at the movies.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Unfortunately, while the trailers did not spoil it, the merchandise did. So I pretty much expected that surprise but it didn't take away from seeing it for me.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Honestly, I wasn't spoiled by either -- but as soon as the Wizard told him what his ultimate superpower was I was expecting it -- but even with the direct foreshadowing they got there so effectively I honestly didn't care that I knew what was coming.

It's like figuring out the ending to The Sixth Sense in the middle of the movie; it just makes it cooler...

It's like the finale of Angel:

“My blood is filled with their ancient power.”
    “Can you pick out the one word here you probably shouldn’t have said?”

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not having seen Angel... I'm finding myself unable to answer that question. 8-}

13. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I loved it! It was fun, had a great time! Liked the characters a lot.

14. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    You just nailed what makes a great time at the movies! I have a feeling the age of the cinema is coming to an end and I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Anyway, haven't seen Shazam yet but I can hardly wait to take my kids to see it this weekend.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @heels1785 I see a lot of likes, but no actual comment. Have you not seen this yet?

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Saw it yesterday afternoon, loved it. Glad you did as well.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, was I the only one who got serious McFarlane vibes from the Sins' designs? They felt like they walked off a page from Spawn. Not sure if they were/are existing DC characters that the designs were based on or not, but still.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Favourite moment with the crew

"Say my name."
    "Billy!"

Also the fact he never gets a consistent name seems like a shout-out / fun reference to his Captain Marvel actual name

Oh speaking of a certain executive producer of the movie Dwayne Johnson

also watching the movie
    when the Wizard is telling a story with glowy gold projections, that sorta looked like a The Rock Black Adam to me

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Cinema aint going anywhere despite what Spielberg thinks you cant get a screen anywhere near the size of a theater screen unless your a billionaire and theres nothing like the theater experience at home I got light streaming through the window noise coming from a room over in my kitchen from my noisy family and the phone and doorbell rings and sometimes in the middle of the movie I gotta walk my dog. you don't have all these distractions at the theater. until the VR movie tech gets a lot better and affordable for middle class families I don't see movie theaters going anywhere anytime soon.

I will hopefully see this film soon but tomorrow I am seeing Dumbo with my parents! from everything I am hearing in here sounds like you guys really like it DC Cinematic films are really getting better!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The third act is significantly better than in Wonder Woman, but on the whole I think WW is a slightly stronger film.

YES, thank you. I've been trying to place why they felt so familiar for the past couple of weeks, but they definitely resemble McFarlane's artwork from the first ~20 or so issues of Spawn.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I dunno, I mean it's really close (like 1 and 1a) so I can't quibble too much, but that third act... yeesh. In fairness, there's definitely not a DC film with a stronger SECOND act, and very, very few Marvel ones either...

PymParticles likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I feel the whole
    "What? Are you evil monologuing? We're, like, a mile away from each other!"
    bit really elevates the final fight above anything else from DC, IMO.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, that was such a simple but also brilliant moment.

dp4m likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    SO good. SO SO good.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Between that bit and the connected moment where they drop William Penn's head onto the park where I proposed to my wife made the whole scene for me.