main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Own Worst Enemy

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedimarine, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It's got a sci-fi "twist", so I figure we could toss it into the discussion jumble.

As a product of the generation that grew up on "Pump up the Volume" and "Kuffs", I'm always curious as to what new avenues Christian Slater will be taking...hopefully "Good" ones...and I must say this, at long last, appears to be a role for which he seems appropriately suited.

the angst of teenage Christian Slater of the early 90s becomes a bipolar schizo in the new millennium...it's a social commentary as much as a cool premise for explosions.

I'm looking forward to a network series...I must be ill or old...perhaps both.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This one has also oddly caught my eye, i'm intrigued about it.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The more I hear about this, the more I'm intrigued, but on the other hand I'm not a fan of Slater's acting, so it's a toss - up for me.

4. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Ha!

Just to ease minds.

I'm a fan of Christian Slater...not his acting.

I'm sure he'll be his typical "Slaterific" self...I just think the role suits that personality well.

This kind of reminds me of "Very Bad Things"...which was a messed up, but rather underrated film. He was good in it.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    This is in the Heroes "death slot" right?

The same one that killed (the great show)Studio 60 and (the just getting good)Journeyman? So at best, My Own Worst Enemy can get a season? [face_worried]

6. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Starts tonight!

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Ok...caught this on DVR yesterday.

Have to say...I REALLY liked it...it was exactly what I expected...the Christian Slater deadpan sarcastic wit coming through in spades...interesting camera work helping to portray action rather then clunky choreography...a unique twist I hadn't expected (I won't post it here...if you saw it, you probably know to what I refer).

My buddy drooled over the 2010 Camaro in it.:rolleyes:

Looks like there is at least one offering worth while this fall.

I recommend catching this one.

A Jedimarine thumbs up!

How rare is that!?

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I thought it was okay. Just as preposterous as Chuck (I like Chuck!), but a little more grown up and less fun. Probably won't watch regularly.

What's the benefit to this split-personality program, by the way? What security/secrecy/deniability benefit is gained that isn't outweighed by the cost of keeping it all secret?

9. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    theoretically?

Plausible deniability for even the most involved of participants?

A flawless cover story as even the person being covered doesn't know the truth.

Difficult to extract the details in one reality from the other...even under duress.

Of course, all of this is completely ruined by the fact that the dude "malfunctions" in the pilot episode. Which essentially means the show is not so much about how this works and why...but the system is broken, how does he adapt...

10. Lord_Lahmien

Lord_Lahmien Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2008
    Two episodes in and I'm already tired of Henry's whining.

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I caught an episode last Friday and thought that it was pretty crappy. It seems like the writers who came up with the show watched way too much Bourne Identity or something.

I mean honestly, isn't it far easier to find some poor sucker with no family or ties to anything and send them on these sorts of missions before brainwashing someone with billions of dollars worth of equipment where it might backfire like it does in the show?

12. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    But I think that's the point.

this is not James Bond...orphan in the charge of the state with a dozen crafted cover stories.

In this story, the agent "vanishes"...the reality is suburban dad with a real home, real family, and whole lot to lose...not someone that would fall into the radar of those hunting a secret agent.

except...like you said, it goes wrong...and that's the driving interest of the story...not a perfect system and imagining it's real world use...but why did it screw up...this show is going to be as much about theories on the mind, on force of will, of power of suggestion...as it's going to be about secret agents and gadgets.

13. Lord_Lahmien

Lord_Lahmien Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2008
    Why they take their best agents, trained to kill and disappear and attach them to families. Whether the agent disappears or not that doesn't seem to bright.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My Own Worst Enemy: Cancelled

That's a huge surprise- I thought the show was doing quite well. It joins Journeyman and Studio 60 as great shows that died after 1 season in the 10 PM monday slot.

15. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    ****! I thought this show was awesome...and yet they give that awful knight rider remake a full season order.

16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    That post heroes slot is the new death slot apparently. [face_frustrated]
    I learned after Studio 60 not to get attached to anything that follows heroes.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What makes this funny is all these articles keep saying the post-Heroes 10pm slot is coveted programming realestate, and yet all these good shows keep dying there.

It is a little odd to see a show like this get canned instead of something like Knight Rider, but then, Knight Rider is a guilty pleasure of mine and I find the show rather fun even if it's silly, so I'm willing to sacrifice Slater for the Hoffspring ;)

18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I think the real reason for this is Monday night is a bad night for TV...always has been...which is why Monday Night Football dominated network viewing on Monday Nights for nearly 30 years, and even it couldn't hold on forever..."Heroes" is not a hit on Monday Night..."Heroes" is a hit because of DVR and internet buzz...and it survives on Monday because of it's strengths elsewhere.

Monday Night, I've heard, is second only to Saturday night in being the worst night to be slotted in.

Has Heroes always been on Monday? Or did they gain an audience elsewhere and moved it to Monday? That's what a great many networks do...they start a show on one of the "big" nights (Thursday, Tuesday, Sunday) and then ship it to Monday to anchor an evening with a dedicated audience.

the problem with "Heroes" is that it's not a dedicated audience...at least to the watching "then and there"...most people I know who watch heroes watch DVR or online...and as such, the "run in" from Heroes to Worst Enemy is slim pickings...probably old people who started watching Heroes because their grandkids told them about it, and they don't change the channel because "Johnny" will be on in another hour and a half.[face_laugh]

19. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Heroes has always been on Monday nights.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Monday has been a stronger night for TV in recent years, though- Heroes debuted very strongly there. 24 has dominated that night effectively for several seasons. Prison break and Terminator have done ok for themselves there as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.