main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends My Republic Soldier (Pre-KOTOR - Morgana, Carth Onasi) - updated 2/3 - 2008 Dear Diary Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthJainaSolo, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJainaSolo

DarthJainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2007
    Title: My Republic Soldier
    Author: Darth Jaina Solo
    Timeframe: Pre-KOTOR
    Genre: Romance, Drama
    Characters: Morgana, Carth Onasi
    Disclaimer: I own nothing
    Summary: A story of love and discovery in a time of war.
    Rating: PG
    Notes: This is written for the 2008 Dear Diary Challenge. I?ll try to update every Saturday. I?m going to be as canon as possible with this, but I've never read the KOTOR comics. The idea came to me after I finished playing KOTOR for the first time.

This is in a diary format. It will span over a decade, so parts of it will move really fast. I hope I do the story justice, but we?ll all just have to wait and see for that!

My Republic Soldier: The Diary of Morgana Onasi

The following journal entries were recovered from an ancient datapad left in the old ruins of Telos. After thousands of years, anthropologists were able to slice through and reactivate the datapad, uncovering a new, unique perspective to a time of utter war and chaos. The following entries, made by Morgana Tainer (later Onasi) were writen in the year
    3,974 BBY

Entry #1

My life is about to change. I can feel it.

That?s what I told Kaila this afternoon. It?s been two months since we finished our schooling ? the time has gone so fast! We decided to spend our last free afternoon together, which included some sandwiches from the café. Kaila?s a believer in destiny, so I thought she?d understand what I was saying.

?Of course it is, Morgana! You begin looking for a job tomorrow. Always a life-altering event, I?m told.? She laughed, and I knew that she she wasn?t getting it.

?No, I mean I feel it. Like a premonition, or something.?

It took a while to explain. At first, Kaila thought that I had wanted to go with her, as she?s been trying to get me to do since we graduated. She?s going to be a freighter pilot. After looking to the stars her entire life, it?s about time she went and saw the galaxy. As for me?I saw enough of the galaxy when I was a child. Telos is the only home I?ve ever known, and I don?t want to leave. We?re two different people, but we?ve been best friends ever since my family moved here when I was eleven.

Six years?that time seems so short. Kaila promises to come and visit, but it won?t be the same. That?s why I postponed my job-search until her departure date. I wanted to spend as much time as possible with her before she left.

In that sense, my life did change tonight and will continue to change tomorrow. I knew that was coming. But knowing your life is going to change and feeling it are two different things. I?ve known for a while. But the feeling just started today. Don?t ask me what that means ? I hardly know myself.

Later tonight, Kaila asked me if I still wanted to become a nurse in the future.

That?s my dream. She thinks it?s simple, and she?s right. That?s what?s so appealing about it.

?But don?t you want more?? she asked. ?Are you going to be content staying on Telos your entire life ? being defined as a housemaid, as a nurse whose first job is that of a wife and mother??

From Kaila?s perspective, the question made sense. We?re two different people. She?ll never be happy staying in one place for long. I, on the other hand, want to settle down. I want to someday get married and have children, and yes, I would devote my life to my family.

But Kaila ? adventuresome Kaila ? she won?t be happy until she?s seen every star and visited every inhabitable planet.

?My destiny is here,? I told her. ?Yours is out there.?

That?s such a funny word, destiny. I tend to believe that people create their own destinies. Kaila believes that it?s out there for the taking. But after moving around for the first eleven years of my life, I want a place to call home. Telos is that place. Kaila has spent her entire life on this planet ? it?s more of a prison for her.

That didn?t make it any easier. I watched her freighter take off from the landing bay two hours ago. Farewells a

2. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very nice beginning.

I love this peek into Morgana's early life.

Please PM me when you update

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

3. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Hey, more Morgana fic! :D

She's definitely an underutilized character, and I'll be interested to see your take on her. It's very different than my own, but that's half the fun of her character. :)

Good start! I'll definitely be following this tale. Also, you should come over and visit us at the Index of the Old Republic, since we're always on the lookout for good KOTOR fic and new people to discuss the awesomeness involved in the game. ;)

4. DarthJainaSolo

Jul 8, 2007
    KELIA: Thanks! I'll certainly PM you when I update.

Commander-DWH: Thank you! I'll try to make a visit sometime. Hope you enjoy this!

Entry #2

When I woke up the morning after Kaila left, it was snowing.

It doesn?t snow that much in this area of Telos ? maybe three or four times a year. If we?re lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it), one of those times the snow will stick. When that happens, it is beautiful.

I left the house, and Telos?s surface was blanketed in white for as far as I could see. Flakes up to a centimeter in diameter were falling, and in no small force. There was wind, too, though at this point it was merely a gentle breeze. Later in the day that wind would escalate into random gusts and finally a violent storm. The weather did not bode well for a job hunt.

It was an omen.

If I were smart, I would have waited another day. I did consider staying inside with one of my bookchips and reading all day, maybe even starting a fire. My parents would have understood. Travel is dangerous enough on ordinary days in Telos cities ? adding snow, rain, or a storm to the mix only makes it worse. But after two months of freedom, I was ready to get this next chapter of my life started.

Becoming a nurse is like building a house. By finishing my schooling, I laid the foundation. The frame comes next. It isn?t an entry position ? you have to work your way up. Every nurse starts as a Medic Assistant, be it a personal assitant to a physician or a general assistant in a hospital.

I compiled a short list of ten clinics to visit within the week ? two per day. Surely, there was a career there somewhere.

How wrong I was.

The clinics weren?t hiring. The hospitals ? which were always hiring ? wanted people with more experience. How much experience did you need to follow orders?

The end of the week came and I was at the same place I was at the beginning. I started to consider that my parents were right ? that perhaps I should content myself with another kind of occupation. Service. Sales. Foodstuffs. It seemed the only way to get the kind of job I wanted was to go to a university, and there is no way my parents can afford that!

I wasn?t giving up. I don?t how to do that.

I took a break on the sixth day and talked things over with my parents. Again, they tried to convince me to go down more orthodox avenues. I asked for a couple more days before pulling that ultimatem ? and though it took a while, they finally agreed.

To be honest, I didn?t need two more days. I had one last resort before I would declare this search a lost cause.

The Telos Security Force Academy.

They hired full-time medics who needed assistants and nurses. And certainly, they were of need in more hands. They had help wanted holos all over the city. This wasn?t my first choice ? spending all day, every day, tending to hormone-driven men (yes, I know that probably describes less than half the students at the Academy ? nonetheless, the percentage is high enough to make a difference) is hardly ideal. But, at this point, what else could I do?

As I walked up the stairs into the Academy for an interview, there was a moment of hesitation. The feeling came again ? the one I wrote about before. It was clearer now. I knew that if I walked through those doors, nothing would ever be the same for me.

It was like ? my destiny was at hand. And I was scared of it.

Like I said ? we create and control our own destinies, I think. Nothing out there chooses our lives for us. Maybe there?s something ? the Force, I guess ? that pushes us in a certain direction, but the decision is ours. This decision was mine. Did I want it?

Two hours later, I had a job, working under Doctor Koresh from the Academy. I don?t know who he is or what he?s like, but I will meet him tomorrow?on my first day.

5. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm glad Morgana was able to find a job in the field she wanted...perhaps it won't be as bad as she fears.

[face_praying] [face_praying]

And perhaps she's about to meet a certain young solider?

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    Oooh I like this will definitely be following up on it this year!

7. DarthJainaSolo

Jul 8, 2007
    KELIA: And perhaps she's about to meet a certain young solider?

That would be telling...[face_whistling] Thank you!

star_writer24: Thank you! I hope you like what's to come!

Entry #3

My next entry will be on the first day that I go to work and no one hits on me.

In other words ? when I get a new job.

I guess it?s not too bad. Flattering, even, at times. I consider myself to be a pretty laidback person, and I don?t get into many confrontations. That?s changing. When I took this job, I promised myself I would not go out with any of my patients, and I intend to keep that promise.

Still, some of the men here are not respecting my wishes.

Take this man, Jordo, for instance. He took a fall in the training room this morning and I had to give him some bacta treatment. I was only with him for a few minutes, but he was determined to make the most of it.

?Pretty lady like you?s gotta have someone special,? he said as I was rubbing bacta on his chest. I was trying to make this gesture as non-sensual as possible for him. I don?t intend to date a soldier?ever. Too much room for heartbreak there. I want to lead a normal life.

But how was I supposed to respond to that? I?m a horrible liar ? if I told him I had a boyfriend he?d know that wasn?t true. I couldn?t tell him I was single either, because then I?d just be egging him on.

?Not you,? I said. Kind of mean, yes, but necessary. Jordo is three years older than I am, but I was an employee of the school and he was a student. That gave me the authority in the situation ? and I took full advantage of it.

??Course not,? he said. ?I?ve got myself a lady.?

I pressed some gauze up against his chest ? the bacta helped it stick. ?Good for you,? I told him. I wasn?t interested in his lovelife, but I was glad that he wasn?t interested in me.

Then he threw the thermal detonater at me.

?I?m actually looking for a woman for my friend.?

I didn?t know whether to laugh or cry. I did neither ? I froze. I didn?t trust myself with words for a long moment, before I finally started sputtering. It was a few more seconds before I said anything coherent.

?Your friend?can?t find women himself??

I wished Kaila was there ? she would know how to put this guy in his place. Jordo went on, ignoring my horror at the situation, telling me that I would meet this guy ? Carth ? tomorrow for his start-of-semester check-up. I?m not looking forward to it.

On the bright side, at least I?m gaining a few good stories to tell Kaila the next time I see her.

8. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I don?t intend to date a soldier?ever

I can understand the sentiment but...anytime you say you don't intend to do something, you're bound to end up doing it! :p

I'm looking forward to her meeting Carth.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    â??Not you,â?? I said. Kind of mean, yes, but necessary.

I fully approve of a decidedly snarky Morgana. :)

Also, Carth = [face_love] His plotline in the newest KOTOR trade paperback made me love him even more than I already did. I'm looking forward to seeing him over here. :D

10. Julia-Wan

Julia-Wan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2007
    Great job... i like this pretty much and I'm waiting for new chapters :D PM, plese?

... Carth [face_love]

11. DarthJainaSolo

Jul 8, 2007
    Sorry this is late...it's been a pretty crazy time for me.

KELIA: Oh, yeah, sometimes you can't choose who you fall for! First meeting with Carth is right here. Hope it's worth it.

Commander-DWH: Morgana's got plenty of snark in her whenever she wants to let it out!

Julia-Wan: Thanks and you've been added to the list!

Entry #4

I met this Carth guy ? Onasi is his last name ? this afternoon. He wasn?t as bad as Jordo, though I was determined not to like him. He didn?t flirt with me ? not that I could see, anyway. He did ask me about myself, though. Where I came from, how I decided to be nurse, where I went to school. In fact, he questioned me more than any other patient today.

I guess he needed the distraction. I had to give him sixteen shots.

Ouch.

He was a trooper throughout the whole exam, I have to admit. I?ve had plenty of mortified patients so far. They don?t want some little girl administering tests and vaccinations to them. Carth was different, though. He seemed to really trust me ? more than I?m used to. Others ? they may be friendly to me, but they tense up whenever I approach them with a syringe or IV. Carth didn?t. The needles and examinations didn?t faze him at all. I felt a twinge of admiration at him for it, and I didn?t hide it from him ? I told him that he had ?courage.?

And then he looked up and smiled at me. Just smiled ? he said nothing.

I never knew that such a gesture would have this much of a profound effect on me. Kaila would say that I?ve lost it, and she?d be correct. Carth is three years than me, and very attractive. A lot of males at the Academy are, but I had never taken this much notice in it ? and all because of a smile.

The entire check-up lasted twenty minutes, and then he was gone. I spent eight more hours examining countless more cadets ? male and female, about ten different species. And I started to compare every single one?to Carth.

By the end of the day I was longing, desperately craving, to talk to Kaila, to tell her about him ? knowing that she?d bring me back to earth. I sent her a holo as soon as I got home, detailing every minute of my time with Carth, but trying to keep my crush out of my voice or my face.

She answered two hours later. ?Tell me everything,? were among the first words she said.

I stumbled through an adequate explanation of his taut muscles and his brown eyes and that smile?that smile which I cannot, even now, stop thinking about.

I said all of this while praying my dad would not overhear a word. He was prone to overreact where a man was involved.

When I finished describing him, Kaila had this fat grin on her face. I hated it.

And then she asked the unforgivable question.

?Are you going on date with him??

I greeted her with a minute of stormy silence. The grin faded after a while, but it lasted much longer than I would have liked.

?I?ll take that as a no,? she said.

?Take it.?

It was the last we spoke of Carth.

12. Julia-Wan

Apr 26, 2007
    .. Nice.. [face_thinking] Can't wait to see what happens next [face_dancing]

Keep up good work :)

13. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Wow - she fell fast, didn't she?

Not that I blame her one bit =P~ =P~

I guess he needed the distraction. I had to give him sixteen shots.

Yikes!!!

I'd need the distraction too.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

14. Julia-Wan

Apr 26, 2007
  15. Julia-Wan

Apr 26, 2007
    ------up-------
    ----upupup-----
    ---up-up-up----
    --up--up--up---
    ------up-------
    ------up-------
    ------up-------
    ------UP-------

.. again :p

16. Julia-Wan

Apr 26, 2007
    ------up-------
    ----upupup-----
    ---up-up-up----
    --up--up--up---
    ------up-------
    ------up-------
    ------up-------
    ------UP-------

17. Julia-Wan

Apr 26, 2007
    ------up-------
    ----upupup-----
    ---up-up-up----
    --up--up--up---
    ------up-------
    ------up-------
    ------up-------
    ------UP-------

Aargh :)

18. Julia-Wan

Apr 26, 2007
    ------up-------
    ----upupup-----
    ---up-up-up----
    --up--up--up---
    ------up-------
    ------up-------
    ------up-------
    ------UP-------

[face_praying]

19. Ulic_Starwalker

Ulic_Starwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2006
    Sweet story. =D=
    Please, send me an update when you post again. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.