main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Resignation

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Silmarillion, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Nathan and Carter -- thank you. Happy Valentine's Day to you both. :)

Gerry -- When you feel that nothing you do is making a difference and you've lost your ideals of why you came here in the first place, it's time to resign. What do I hope to gain by resigning? Nothing. What do I hope to lose by resigning? A lot of the stress, anguish and anxiety that I've had over the past week or so.

2. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    Why?????? Why?????? *breaks down* Why??????

I'm very sorry to see you go, Sil. I hope you say 'hi' every once in while and still keep up with your encouraging words.

3. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Oh, Gerry's entitled to his opinion, clueless and embarrassing for him as it may be.

Bye, babe. Though I know I'll still see you 'round.

4. Launch

Launch Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Sil, I'm gonna miss you!!

5. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Sil, you sure do look pretty in pink. :)

6. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Obviously the events of the past week or so have shown Silmarillion that it's futile to try and sort things out on her own when there will always be another person running the place that will want to intervene. Her resignation is a good way to highlight the problems at the higher levels around here, and also shows that she's come to the decision that being an admin isn't exactly the coolest thing in the world.

Anouncing the decision is also needde so that other members don't decide to ask questions over and over again. This sets out the reasons and plainly shows that it's over, therefore ending furthur discussion on the resignation itself and will focus attention on the problems raised.

7. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    What do you hope to gain by resigning? What good could possibly come from it?

Im guessing...maybe...now she doesnt have to deal with the bullcrap politics and selfish agendas anymore...but that's just my guess.

Gerry, think before you post. That's all I ask.

8. Gerry

Gerry Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 1999

If her intention in posting this thread was to receive a few pats on the back, a few "good show, old chap!", etc., then mission accomplished. I'm sure my little thundercloud of a post won't rain on her parade.

If her intention was to simply resign (which, I might add, she hasn't done yet) then it could have been done in a much more tactful way, without dumping a steaming pile into the laps of the current administration.

If her intention was to effect some change in the way the JC is administered (which is what I gathered from her initial post) then the sentiments I expressed in my original post stand. Resigning is a craven and feeble method for effecting change.

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Great. You said your stuff Gerry now leave.

I always thought Sil looked great in blue.

I agree with the post below this one.

10. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    What I got out of the initial post was that being an admin isn't as cool as people make it out to be sometimes. It's not worth the hassles and stress that it sometimes causes and it's better off being just a member.

Sil only got those pats on the back because she deserves it. She's done more around here than most. Including you and me.

11. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    "Oh, the horror!" Jeez, Sil, I'm speechless. I'm really sorry it has come to this. I'm glad you'll be sticking around the boards as a member, though.

:(

12. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Gerry, You.... (insert nasty criticism here)* [face_plain]

* Things I won't say out loud, cuz today's Valentines Day, it's all about Love.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

13. Crimson

Jan 18, 2002
    Gerry, this is volunteer. Sil has gladly given up thousands of hours to try and make some sort of an effect on this place. Youre arrogance cannot take that away from her. Get over yourself.

//realizes that Gerry is a ****less sock.

14. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well, we disagree about DP but you were a hell of a mod Sil, I hate to lose you.

15. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    You're correct. Being a mod isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be. It's a public service for which you get a whole lot of stress and little thanks. :(

I'm hoping that those of us who are hanging in here can make changes for the better. Maybe then moderating will be a little less stressful and more satisfying.

16. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Needless to say, I am not happy with your decision, but if you wish to resign, that is your call to make.

See you in PSA.

17. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "...it could have been done in a much more tactful way, without dumping a steaming pile into the laps of the current administration."

You forget: the current administration is a steaming pile (watched users excepted, of course). As for the Thoreau reference, I think a few people would agree that a message board isn't nearly as important as a forest.

I say smooth move, Sil. Don't look back.

18. Gerry

Gerry Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 1999
    Not a sock, just a lurker. I'll disengage the ol' cloaking device once more to say, if you post a message on a public board you're asking for feedback. Not all feedback will be positive.

Some users seem to be implying that I dislike Silmarillion as a person or as a <former> administrator. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have great respect for her contributions both as an administrator and as a regular JC user. However, I happen to strongly disagree with her current decision to resign, the method she went about it, and the reasons she gave for it. I have simply said so and stated my reasons. Heaven help us if that's not permissible!

19. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
  20. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Sil,

I certainly hope that in the future we can work harder on communication with admins and the staff. Your decision is understood, though not welcomed. You will defnitely be missed.

Josh

21. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Understood but not welcomed?

I say deal, and fix the problems that are causing us to lose ppl like Sil and BobaFemme

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Gerry: I see it differently. Sil cares enough about the users to explain to us why she does not want to moderate these boards anymore rather than letting the details of her departure be obfuscated by the few and highly ambiguous official announcements the adminstration has handed down recently. Further, the way I see it, an act of martyrdom is not an attempt to bolster the ego. It is an act of sacrifice made out of sincere love. Sil is hoping - most likely in vain, but hoping none the less - that her actions here will bring some much-needed positive change to the JC, which has been suffering from a real lack of caring lately.

Sil, I can understand why you made the choice you did, but I can't deny that I'm going to miss your presence as an administrator very much. I might as well tell you guys that I have posted under the guise of a newbie in Communications and in other forums numerous times to see how the various administrators would treat me. It was a scientific way of finding out just how deep this "lack of caring" problem ran. I found that Sil was outstanding among the admins for treating users with respect and consideration, no matter how stupid or newbie-ish they seemed. Other administrators would do well to take her as a role model. I realize that the blame for this problem doesn't really lie with anyone at the JC or TFN, because of the way negativity tends to naturally filter down despite the efforts of those involved with it - outside forces put pressure on TFN staff, the staff in turn puts pressure on the admins, and the admins put pressure on the users - but nevertheless, I would urge everyone involved with this site to just try to do a few things each day to make this place a litle better.

Anyway, before I stray too far off topic, Godspeed to Sil, and MTFBWY.

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yes, without this thread, we have another 500 posts about INTERNET DRAMA!

I hope, the events of the past few days makes the head honchos of this place (*coughScottJoshcough*) realize that maybe their current form of dealing with the adminstration and memebers of this isn't the most ideal. And that maybe they should concentrate on bringing this board back to the two things that made it fun in the first place, many, many, many, many, many, many months ago: Star Wars and fun discussion.

24. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    It seems that the lifespans of mods is decreasing. :(

Sil, I am glad to hear that you won't be gone, though. This place needs as many Aussie babes as it can get. :)

25. Crimson

Jan 18, 2002
    Wow...that's a lot of "many"s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.