main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Script is completed.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Corrin_Wyndryder, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    An RPG fan? The Codex is a JEdi artifact mentioned in a sourcebook I have. It does pretty much what yours does, too...

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Okay, buddy, your script isn't finished. Dantana ni Uiletor, Jedi Knight, speaking, and I believe that my character is in the movie and HAS been cast, to be played by ME! Also, I need to go over my character's lines, make sure you didn't mess her up too badly.

I've got a production outline for you, Corrin, that you execs and I need to go over. We'll need a production company, but I have mine, so we can use it. As costume designer, I'll need a complete list of characters, who's been cast and who hasn't, and possibly pictures of the cast actors. Oh, by the way, hi, everyone, I'm the costume designer for the film and one of the actresses. I'm also a producer and the "set writer". Don't argue with me, Corrin, 'cause you know darn well I've got a lot more to do with this picture than just "costume designer".

Also, I need to go through the script and make sure it's properly formatted, okay? You know, 'cause I'm headed into film school, and know what I'm talking about.

Sorry to rant, you just refuse to listen to me. Maybe these nice people will help me get on your case. :)

Dantana

3. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    All right, Dantana. ;) Sorry if it feels like I've kept you out of the loop. Here's a few points just to keep you up to speed.

1) If you had read the entire post, you would have realized that the formating of the script was corrupted by the conversion into HTML format. I am also getting feedback from several people who have experience in the same fields you are in to assist in the finished product of the script. (Two or more heads are better than one.)

2) I am, right now, trying to get a production crew together, which is WHY I posted the script.

3) I wouldn't worry too much about costuming right now, being that we won't begin filming until after both Benjamin and I return from our missions. It's the design process that comes first. And I'll see you on Tuesday about that. I promise. ;)

Oh, yes, and to everyone else, Dantana has also been cast. :D

-Corrin

EDIT: And Thrawn, you're right. It is based on an RPG my friends and I played.

Little Joke: the Addius Vaquila was the original name of the Good Artifact until a meddling player said, Hey, it's the Codex, See? and showed the GM the book. So it stuck being the Codex... (It was the player who played Carn)

4. jbird69

jbird69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2000
    Uh, I don't mean to be a prick or nothing, but I don't think that you can copyright your stuff. George Lucas owns anything Star Wars related. He could sue for what you did.

5. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Enough with the legal crap... I can copyright the characters I created and are not part of the Original Star Wars Universe. And I can copyright the events that I wrote in the script, which is exactly what I did.

Sorry I brought it up!

6. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Sorry, I didn't mean to blow up like that. It's finals week and I've got 17 credit hours on my head. It's giving me a headache.

I'm just worried that my OWN film will be made without me, and I don't want that.

(Also, my class on Copyrights and Legal Media is giving me paranoid dilusions... :p )

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    No, I didn't mean the HTML thing. I meant with your sluglines, and your spacing, and your constant capitalisation of all characters' names.

Okay, Dantana's been cast. :) Thank you for acknowledging that.

As for production crew, I spent a long while coming up with the minimum on number of people we'll need. I need to show you the chart I came up with, how everything divides up. It's going to be VERY involved,a nd you can't really just say, "Okay, you seem nice, you're in." In a perfect world, you could, but in reality, no. I've got it all explained in my outline. Do you have PowerPoint?

Dantana

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Carn. What a wonderful person. I haven't talked to him in a while. How's he doing? Still single? :) Gee, I wonder why . . .

Dantana

9. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Considering I've worked on a few fan film scripts before, I'll give this one a look over although it will probably take a while because of its length.

I was able to cut and paste the Html version into Word and you're right, the formatting is up the spout big time. In case it's the better way to do it because comments can be added in.

Anyway, I'll have a looksee and see what comes up.

10. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Great. Yes, Carn is still single. But I could make the same comments about you Dantana. :p

I love all the feed back I'm getting from my script. Keep it up.

And on a final note of the reasons for Copyrights, If someone took my script, changed the names, removed the Star Wars Icons imbedded throughout it, and made money from it, THEN I have legal rights. And Both GL and I will see them in court :p

11. Muadibe_D12

Muadibe_D12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2001
    hello everyone and hello fellow actors and actresses hows its going. :) just stoping by to see what news is recent and whats not hehe. so how many cast members are there now? i went to an acting talent agency and auditioned for a membership and offers it was a peice of cake and they liked my hopefully i'll hit the big time and you'll have a famous actor in your film.....probably not

12. Wizdoc

Wizdoc Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 1999
    Ummmm... you do know that in a properly formatted screenplay, one page equals about one minute screentime, right? Are you planning to make a three and a half hour epic? I suggest you trim the text with heavy hand. For a comparison, Star Wars scripts (which as films come a bit over two hours) are about 105-120 pages in length.

I just read the Episode 2 script and no matter people say about George and his writing abilities, he does write interesting text with close-to-zero exposition while still maximising visual imagination. A lot of fanfilm writers should take note on his writing style.

Wizdoc

13. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    I haven't gotten around to properly formatting anything I've written... If anyone asks, I say the films about "ye long."

-tm

14. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    I realize my script is very long, and there will be cut scenes on the DVD. However, I will be filming everything I've written, just so I can say I have it.

You wouldn't believe how much had to be cut just to get it down to the size it is now.

As for your question, Muadibe, I'm not casting ANYONE else until after my mission. I can't handle all the names right now. I am looking for people to tell me it something they'd want to see. (I have a low self-esteem problem)

-Corrin

EDIT: And now I'm looking for a Storyboard Artist. ;)

15. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    Corrin, I don't mean to beat a dead horse but here's a quote:

"6) "If I make up my own stories, but base them on another work, my new work belongs to me."
    False. U.S. Copyright law is quite explicit that the making of what are called "derivative works" -- works based or derived from another copyrighted work -- is the exclusive province of the owner of the original work. This is true even though the making of these new works is a highly creative process. If you write a story using SETTINGS or characters from somebody else's work, you need that author's permission.
    Yes, that means almost all "fan fiction" is arguably a copyright violation. If you want to write a story about Jim Kirk and Mr. Spock, you need Paramount's permission, plain and simple. Now, as it turns out, many, but not all holders of popular copyrights turn a blind eye to "fan fiction" or even subtly encourage it because it helps them. Make no mistake, however, that it is entirely up to them whether to do that.

There is one major exception -- criticism and parody. The fair use provision says that if you want to make fun of something like Star Trek, you don't need their permission to include Mr. Spock. This is not a loophole; you can't just take a non-parody and claim it is one on a technicality. The way "fair use" works is you get sued for copyright infringement, and you admit you did copy, but that your copying was a fair use. A subjective judgment on, among other things, your goals, is then made."

I'm not trying to disuade you or anything, I just think that you should be aware. If this information is wrong, please let me know, but the above quote comes from a fairly reliable source.

Hope this has been helpful

Darth Venom

16. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Thank you for your insight, Darth Venom. I'll take that into account.

But this thread is for the constructive critisism of my work, not for the debate of what legal actions I should take for myself.

Since I'm not making any profits from this production, I have no worries. I just want to protect my Ideas from being plagerized by those select dishonest citizens of the world who might try to make a profit from my hard work. I'm taking care that I DON'T get sued.

And yes, it is a dead horse.

17. Wizdoc

Wizdoc Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 1999
    A three-hour fanfilm with special fx, sets, costumes & the whole nine yards? I have to say, I'm very skeptical about this getting ever done - especially if none in the would-be crew has any prior experience in pulling through a film production of this magnitude.

But, I gladly hope I'm proven wrong. I'm just not getting my hopes up...

Wizdoc

18. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Everyone has told me the exact same thing over and over... I might end up getting a complex. :p

I realize it's a large undertaking, but it'll test my strength in the film industry BY pulling it together.

Besides, here is a REAL incentive for local assistance. The IMAX theater at Thanksgiving Point in Utah will be showing the completed copy of it when it's done!!! (I have connections! :D ) Anyone that helps over the internet will get a Free copy of the DVD. (I am a man of my word.)

-Corrin

P.S.: If you don't want to read the script, I won't feel bad, really. I just would like to get feedback from the dozens of people who visited my site to read it. (I have been using the web-counter system.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.