main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My theory on Qui-Gon's contact with the living world

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DemoShadow, Apr 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DemoShadow

DemoShadow Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2003
    In "The Phantom Menace" Qui-Gon told Obi-Wan to be mindful of the Living Force. We have never heard any Jedi mention this in any of the other films. I think that Qui-Gon was a rogue Jedi who believed in a side of the Force that was not taught..a side that focused on the individual, which would explain why he wanted to train Anakin by any means he could.

Believing this before he died, perhaps he, being possibly the only Jedi to believe in the Living Force and be mindful of it, died for all of the Jedi, which would probably explain why his body was burned and did not disappear. Maybe if a Jedi fully trusts the Living Force and puts it into action and focuses on the individual person that needs caring about, he or she will be able to come back to make contact with the living world.

Qui-Gon taught Obi-Wan this, and that would explain why Obi-Wan is able to come back as a spectre and make his voice heard by the living world using an individual. Perhaps Yoda learned this too later on and practiced focusing more on the person's needs and not always the situation elsewhere.

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Qui-Gon taught Obi-Wan this, and that would explain why Obi-Wan is able to come back as a spectre and make his voice heard by the living world using an individual."

But Yoda heard Qui-gon, not Obi-wan.

3. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    Theres no way the NOOOOOOOOOOOOO was quigon so who was it!?!> WARGH

4. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    That is who it was.

5. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Ask the JC: Do I hear the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn shouting, "Anakin, Anakin... No!", in Yoda's apartment after Anakin attacks the Tusken Raiders?

"Yes indeed, the voice that Yoda hears is that of Qui-Gon Jinn."

SW.COM: Yoda
    "While meditating, Yoda had felt a traumatic event befall young Anakin Skywalker. At that very moment, he also heard the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn , a Jedi Master slain a decade previous. It was impossible for a Jedi to retain his identity after becoming one with the Force, yet he had heard it."

6. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    I think that Qui-Gon was a rogue Jedi who believed in a side of the Force that was not taught

I think it was taught, but it was not as focused on as the other aspects of the Force.

When Qui-Gon discusses Obi-Wan's qualifications to take the trials in TPM he says "He is headstrong, and has much to learn of the Living Force, but he is capable." Nobody questioned Qui-Gon (ie, what is this "Living Force" you speak of?) so I would conclude it is familiar to them.

However, I think Qui-Gon was one of the only Jedi to focus on the Living Force, and I do believe this is why we hear his voice in AOTC.

7. spring_warm

Apr 12, 2003
    The whole Anakin!, Anakin! was for sure quigon but the NOOOOO didnt sound a thing like him

8. DarthWrytard

DarthWrytard Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2002
    IMO, becoming a force-ghost barely a skill--something that happens by default, like being born. Communication between the dead and the living seems more like a skill.
    [Edit: profanity, punctuation]

9. evanchester

evanchester Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    It doesn't matter if it doesn't sound like him, it IS Qui-Gon.

10. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I think the "Noooooo" sounds more like Yoda than anyone else.

And the snippet of Darth Vader breathing at the end certainly isn't Qui Gon...

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "I think the "Noooooo" sounds more like Yoda than anyone else."

Too bad Yoda is just sitting there, quietly meditating.

"And the snippet of Darth Vader breathing at the end certainly isn't Qui Gon..."

If it is breathing, it's just foreshadowing, since Anakin isn't even Vader yet, and therefore no one could conceivably be making that noise at that moment.
    If it isn't foreshadowing, it's probably just a leftover noise from the Tuskens.

Unless you have a different theory?

12. SomeRandomNerd

Dec 20, 1999
    Well, Qui Gon is a pile of ash at the time, but Yoda hears him OK... I think the AOTC commentary (possibly the DVD website commentary, I can't remember) says that it's Vader's breathing- I'm sure I read it somewhere official...

I don't know if the "noooo" IS Yoda- it's just my theory. I imagine that in Episode III he'll have a few things to "noooo" about though...

My theory?

"Through the Force, other places you will see. The past... the future..."

13. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Well, Qui Gon is a pile of ash at the time, but Yoda hears him OK."

True, but he is also one with the Force, something which no other Jedi is (as far as we know.)

Anakin is a pile of ash at the end of ROTJ, yet we see him quite clearly as well. ;)

14. spring_warm

Apr 12, 2003
    Actually its debated whether or not anakin disapeared or not

15. SomeRandomNerd

Dec 20, 1999
    "Well, Qui Gon is a pile of ash at the time, but Yoda hears him OK."

>>>>True, but he is also one with the Force, something which no other Jedi is (as far as we know.)

The way the Behind the Magic CDROM talks about it (and the SW.com quote you posted), it seems that all Jedi become "one with the Force" when they die- it's the ability to retain their identities after becoming one with the Force that is something special.

16. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.