main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Myths and Fables by George Mann

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 31, 2019.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There’s a middle grade Galaxy’s Edge tie-in book coming, and I have to say this one really intrigued me.

upload_2019-1-31_14-16-14.jpeg

Star Wars: Myths & Fables (Disney Lucasfilm Press)
    Written by George Mann
    Illustrations by Grant Griffin
    Available: August 6, 2019

In this middle grade novel, hear the thrilling space tales, fables, and myths that are told in a galaxy far, far away. The book features two stories that take place on the remote Outer Rim world of Batuu, plus many other untold tales from the edge of the galaxy, lushly illustrated in a style that pays homage to real-world children’s classics.

Excerpt located here: https://www.starwars.com/news/new-star-wars-galaxys-edge-books

2. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    Getting WEG vibes from the cover.

3. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Huh, wonder if anything from Supernatural Encounters will make it into this.

IA EL'SHUDDEM FTHAGHN!

4. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I would love if something from it did appear in this. I can bet well atleast get one myth / fable about the mortis gods

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. PhoenixRebel

PhoenixRebel Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2019
    This looks gorgeous !Oh wow ! Definitely hope we do get something about Mortis . I cannot wait for this book. It looks beautiful! It reminds me of some of the illustrated books I have of middle earth( lord of the rings ) the artwork is in that style . I will definitely be adding it to my collection. :)

StartCenterEnd and Sinrebirth like this.
  6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm.
    So.
    Ready.
    For this.

7. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I wonder if Little Lost Bantha Cub is in there.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Typhojem would be my guess. He was in a previous guide.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Loving the cover

Star Wars is pretty much fantasy is sci-fi costuming, so it is about time canon had some proper space dragons.

10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I really enjoyed the excerpt where the sand people were menaced a dragon named Krayt.

darklordoftech and DarthJaceus like this.
  11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    That's more my kind of thing. Hope there will be also more of those in-universe legends/myths/fairy tales in the future. One for each planet in the GFFA maybe?

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    LOL. Lets just hope thats an Arkanian dragon on the cover

13. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Yeah, I definitely read the author's name as "George Martin" at first. That really threw me for a loop.

14. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Pfft, what do Star Wars and ASOIAF have in common?

Now if you excuse me, I'm going going to watch a story where a blond haired duelest kisses his sister and gets his hand chopped off, and also there's a short character who people underestimate because of his size. I don't need to tell you which one THAT is. :D

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Full of Sith did an episode about the connections between Game of Thrones and Star Wars, for those interested. The most significant factor (at least until the Benioff & Weiss movies happen) is that they share the same casting director, which is at least partly why there's a lot of actor crossover.

16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Grant Griffin on His Stunning Paintings from Star Wars: Myths & Fables, showcasing three new artworks from the book.

With Star Wars: Myths & Fables, we’re getting a decidedly different take on a galaxy far, far away. Written by George Mann, Myths & Fables positions stories within the Star Wars universe as fairy tales and legends, passed down from generation to generation and from system to system. They’re the fantastical tales of heroes and villains and monsters that one might hear while growing up anywhere from Batuu to Tatooine, and be left wondering how much is true. It’s a quality that makes Myths & Fables all the more special.

In advance of the book’s release on August 6, StarWars.com is excited to release three beautiful images from Myths & Fables, all painted by Grant Griffin. “Like the fairytales of old, each story in Myths and Fables is paired with an illustration,” Griffin tells StarWars.com. “My job as the illustrator was to try and depict how an in-world artist might interpret space tales that have been passed down across the galaxy, and like a game of telephone, by the time the stories reach the artist, they are pure myth and fantasy.” Based on the rich, larger-than-life, magical touch of these works, we’d say he’s succeeded. “As a fanboy and illustrator, getting the opportunity to work on Myths & Fables was pure fun,” Griffin says, “and I hope fans enjoy the art as much as I enjoyed painting it.” Check out the images below, along with Griffin’s own commentary for each.

[​IMG]

“The challenge for me was making known characters and alien species recognizable yet distinct from the original characters we all grew up with on the big screen. One of my favorite examples of this was creating the ‘Bogey Man’ version of Darth Vader. I loved the idea of families across the galaxy telling their kids, ‘You better keep your room clean or Vader will get you.’ It took a couple of tries to find the right balance of being on-model, yet surreal and nightmarish. The trick was keeping that iconic Vader silhouette and giving it the right amount of Tim Burtonesque twist.”

[​IMG]

“If the ‘Bogey Man’ is a Sith, the ‘Good Samaritan’ has to be a Jedi. The initial idea for this story was to mirror the evil version. Sith versus Jedi, destruction versus abundance — you get the idea. I have always leaned towards the dark side, so it was challenging switching gears from Skeletal Vader to the sunshine-and-rainbows Jedi version. (I did have fun channeling Bob Ross and putting in all those happy little birds and trees, though!) The biggest struggle we had with this illustration was settling on a look for the Jedi. The art directors wanted a heroic/angelic feel to the character. For inspiration, I dug into Ralph Macquarie’s original concept art for Luke Skywalker, meshed with a Wyeth fairy-tale knight. It was extremely satisfying painting a Jedi in full chainmail and rocking a shield. In the end, we ended up going for a more iconic Jedi feel and added the hooded cloak. As you can see, we did keep in the armor and shield, so I was happy.”

[​IMG]

“What’s more challenging than painting iconic Star Wars characters? How about making unknown characters look and feel like Star Wars. That was a new hurdle I ran into for this illustration. Luckily, I had some help. One of the perks of being an illustrator is getting to peek behind the curtain before things go public. As we needed something iconic to make this piece read ‘Star Wars‘, I got to access some of the early construction for Galaxy’s Edge. With park photos for inspiration, I was able to paint up the background inspired by the Black Spire — and nothing says Star Wars like a planet with double moons!”

[​IMG]

Star Wars: Myths & Fables arrives August 6 and is available for pre-order now.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not out til November in the UK. Amazon UK has the US hardcover listed as unavailable. I have a couple of other books that are on the US site but not the UK one coming up - if I put the order in for those I might include this with it.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hmmmm. Same with the Galaxy’s Edge thing.

That’s a lot on postage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I never understood why they make such a fuss with UK and US releases different at all. Does it make any sense interal whatsoever even?

Even where release dates are only days apart its confusing and german amazon f.e. UK and US editions and folks end up preordering both to see which arrives first... cue, some doubles in collection for they arrived at same time.

20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Im getting some Old Republic era vibes from those images.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think the UK SW books are a different publisher than the US ones. Also I think US books are normally released on a Tuesday and UK it's Thursday.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  22. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Grimm Fairly Tales ala Star Wars? Sign me up!

23. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Read some of this book last night.

A new Sith Lord is name dropped. Pretty exciting stuff! Reading about Caldoth and his apprentice was pretty cool. We also get some official confirmation that Moraband was at one point called Korriban.

24. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Caldoth? Dooku: Jedi Lost mentioned a Darth Coldoth...I wonder if they're meant to be the same? (To be fair, Wookieepedia points out the spelling might not be correct, having just come from the audio).

Major Zuma and JediBatman like this.
  25. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Probably the same. It's spelled Caldoth in the book. He seems to be a Duros Sith Lord by the picture at the beginning. His story is pretty interesting.

There's also two other mysterious figures that I don't believe are actually supposed to be representative of any REAL figures, but representative of the Jedi and the Sith as a whole. The Wanderer and the Dark Wraith. The Dark Wraith looks like Vader or even Bane and The Wanderer is a Qui-Gon looking Jedi with a shield and lightsaber.

Major Zuma and JediBatman like this.