main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Myths and Fables by George Mann

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 31, 2019.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Thanks for letting me know. God, $54.92 with tax and shipping. All the fun of Disney World prices from the comfort of my own home!

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Tell me about it. I suppose this is what I signed up for when I decided to become a completist, but still. Have a heart, Disney!

Daneira likes this.
  3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The Positive Fan- Thank you so much I just placed my order. This is the park exclusive one right? I think it has three unique stories on top of the three that was released from the Target book. My total was $55.00 but its worth it. I'm kind of a completist myself. I truly do appreciate the heads up.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    The Positive Fan likes this.
  4. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Yes, the version from shopDisney.com is the Parks exclusive version with the three additional stories on top of what's in the Target version. Also has a nice in-universe look from what I've seen. Glad I could help!

5. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    My copy arrived today. It is gorgeous, and it does have a very pleasing in-universe look and feel to it (I could imagine this sitting on a shelf at the Erso homestead on Lah'mu, for example) so I'm feeling a little better about the cost now that I actually have it in-hand. I hope the binding holds up.

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yep my copy arrived today and it is gorgeous. This is good stuff. So in total we got 9 new stories all around. Just like the Skywalker saga

The Positive Fan likes this.
  7. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    So I finally got the Galaxy's Edge edition exclusive stories and there is some interesting intel in those.

One story deals with the actual ancient discovery and first settling of Baatu. Another ages before that with native flora and fauna in an Endor-esque tale very remnisicent of Tolkien works and showing what native life evolved on Baatu and what happened when the in modern times petrified giant trees were in full bloom. So both stories are very good additions to the Baatu-microverse.

The Darth Maul story though offers interesting new intel and I need folks who also read it to discuss its implications in relation to other previous Maul lore we had. It features his unnamed mother, brother, Dathomir and Sidious. Connecting it with canon and maybe legends/onecanon lore should be fun.

EspeciallyI am curious how this take on how he got chosen as Sith Apprentice jives with the takes we previously had, as well as to how the portrayal and betrayal of his mother plays into the often discussed character of Talzin, if she is his mother as canon proposed, whereas Legends had another mother separate that, in light of this story, feels more fitting to be the real one. But If as I and many postulate that Talzin and said mother are one and the same and thus we get her first name from said Legends mother, then we learn a great deal about Talzins youth, betrayal and how it shaped her later life up to the Clone Wars.

So anybody up for that?

Barriss_Coffee and Golbolco like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm gonna need to see this...

9. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    For anyone (like me) who has not yet read the Target- or park-exclusive editions of this book, artist Grant Griffin has been sharing some of his illustrations:

The design of the green spaceship in the last post caught my eye. I'm guessing that's one of the galleons in "The Skiff & The Galleons"?

10. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

yub it is and looks glorious... just lacking a Valenthyne Farfalla on board!

Senpezeco likes this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I finally got around to reading this one. The stories are pretty basic, but I got that impression already from folks around here when the book came out. I like George Mann's narration. Pretty in a storybook way.

I had seen some of Grant Griffin's art floating around, but actually seeing it in the physical book is something else. Much of it reminds me of N.C. Wyeth's illustrations of old adventure tales like Treasure Island, especially when Griffin's illustrating pirate-type characters (Witch and the Wookiee) and lone individuals surrounded by a larger fantasy setting with clouds (...most of them).

[​IMG]