main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Naboo Rain - A/P, O-W, Dooku - (Complete) Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Reihla, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Edit: updated w/Cover Art

2004 Winter Fanfic Award Winner for Best Canon Story and Best Canon Character (Anakin)! :D Woohoo! :D - Thanks to everyone who remembered this story and thought enough of it to nominate it and send in your votes!

I originally planned for this to be a vignette, so I guess this is proof that stories really do take on a life of their own. I wanted just to give a small glimpse of Ani & Padme as they might have been between Ep II & III. Specifically I wanted it to be a time where the twins might have been conceived - a happy time that could be reflected in Anakin/Vader?s last memories aboard the Death Star II ? the smell of rain, wildflowers, a vision of Anakin as a young man who is ready to take on the world, etc?. I hope some of that comes across, even though the story took a decidedly more adventurous turn. :)

The speculative information is official stuff from SW.com and hyperspace (no actual spoilers as when I wrote this I was spoiler-free :D) Anyone with an aversion to official advance tidbits should consider themselves warned. ;)

Thanks for reading!

2. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Title: Naboo Rain
    Author(s): Reihla
    Timeframe: PT, Post-AOTC
    Characters: Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, Dorme, Dooku
    Genre: drama, romance, angst
    Keywords:
    Summary: After a falling out with his master, Anakin meets his wife on Naboo for a little R&R. As usual, the real world can?t leave them alone and they are forced to abandon their idyll to help someone else.

Part 1

Anakin Skywalker landed his modified Delta-7 Aethersprite on one of the Royal Palace?s small platforms with practiced ease. He glanced down to adjust his chrono to Naboo time, noticing the lateness of the hour with surprise. It wasn?t so much that the half a standard hour he was behind was cause for concern. He wasn?t adhering to any set time schedule. It was just that he couldn?t believe he?d let even a few precious minutes get away from him on this trip.

Once again he was forced to acknowledge an aspect of himself that had brought him more reprimands than he could remember. His passion for flying could pull him out of the real world to the point where nothing else mattered. Each and every time that particular quirk surfaced ? and it had done so countless times in Anakin?s young life ? Obi-Wan would seize the opportunity to expound upon the perils of idle distraction.

Although his Master wasn?t with him today, Anakin couldn?t keep a familiar litany from replaying in his head: ?Be mindful of the present, my young padawan. You simply cannot allow yourself to be pulled into oblivion whenever it suits you. Some day the price will be higher than you want to pay.?

It was one of many bits of Obi-Wan wisdom he?d committed to memory over the years. On rare instances like this, when he found himself apart from his Master and engaging in activities he shouldn?t, he would repeat such mantras to himself. They served as something of a self-imposed penance. Not that it ever changed his course of action. Somehow, just knowing he?d endured the requisite reprimand made him feel less guilty.

Only today he didn?t feel a bit better. Oddly enough, the wisdom of Obi-Wan?s admonishment ? heretofore a mystery ? now seemed crystal clear. The loss of the time itself was punishment enough. Today of all days he couldn?t believe he?d let even a minute get away from him. He just hadn?t been able to resist angling his starfighter for an extra pass over the city. The lure of Theed?s pale pink marble and sparkling waterfalls had called to him like a long-lost friend.

Over a decade had passed since he?d first set eyes on Naboo?s capital. It remained unchanged, timeless as ever, and the urge to spend a few extra minutes drinking in the familiar beauty had been irresistible. The boy he?d been so long ago would have done the same. Despite being irritated at the time lost, he had to admit that he was glad, perhaps even relieved, to discover some part of that boy?s innocence still dwelt inside him.

All those years ago the fascination had been understandable. Tatooine, the planet of his birth and the only world he?d ever known, was nothing but an arid, endless ocean of sand. Naboo, verdant and green, had been the exact opposite and to Anakin it had seemed almost magical.

In the years between then and now he?d been privileged to travel to many amazing worlds. Most held wonders as majestic and awe-inspiring as those before him today. Still, no matter how impressive their architecture or advanced their technology, those places didn?t affect him like Naboo. Just a few short minutes soaring above Theed had done more to push the shadows of intergalactic conflict from his mind than long hours of meditation. Even the Jedi Temple?s incredible Room of a Thousand Fountains had nothing on Naboo?s natural marvels.

Every trip to this living, breathing planet only served to emphasize to Anakin the disparity between Naboo and the place of his birth. In his mind, there was nothing of beauty to be found on Tatooine. In fact, just over a year ago he?d left that dead chunk of rock for what he fervently hoped was

3. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Wow, this is really good, I'd like to see it continue.

POST MORE ASAP

4. returnofthejeni

returnofthejeni Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2003
    wow nice start! I'd like to see where this is going ! :)

I'll be here!

5. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Great start. I love the vocabulary and descriptiveness, and of course I'm all for anything A/P related.

6. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Short on time so I'll have to copy this and read it offline but be assured I'll be back to review. I love anything A/P related as well. The wealth of EU and spoiler info has had a similar impact on me. This looks to be good from the little I've seen and will give me something else to read as I write my own A/P fic.

7. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Thanks, guys, for the encouragement :) I look forward to checking out your stories as well!

8. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Part 2

Anakin waited impatiently for the sublight engines to power-down so he could finish his post-landing check. Drumming his fingertips on the console Anakin turned his sky blue gaze to the sweeping cityscape. He deliberately followed the natural curves of the green-hued dome rooftops as they rose like waves toward the mountainside. Once again Theed?s gentle grace edged its way into his war-battered soul. It was soothing, much like a warm breeze or the touch of his wife?s hand. An unexpected but welcome feeling of homecoming wrapped itself around him. This world was his now, just as much a part of him as Tatooine or Coruscant. The revelation was as gratifying now as it had been the first time he?d felt it, on his wedding day.

In those precious stolen moments after he and Padmé had exchanged vows, they had embraced and watched the setting sun. Exchanging gentle kisses and quiet promises, they?d gazed out over the lake. Anakin recalled whispering that one day they would build a home on the shores of that very lake. Padmé had embellished his vision with her own description of how their children would swim out to the island to play.

In that instant, in the waning light of the happiest day of his life, Anakin had first sensed that his link to Naboo was real and permanent. After half a lifetime of emotional isolation that revelation had filled his empty heart with hope. The scared little boy who lived inside him, the one who had always struggled to belong, finally had a place to call home. It had been an epiphany. One single joyous moment of illuminating discovery. There, on that balcony, in the waning light of day, the most fervent desire of his heart had been to stay there on Naboo and share Padmé?s life.

Returning to the cold anonymity of the Jedi Temple had proven a torturous exercise. Thankfully, Padmé had understood his conflict better, even, than he himself had. In those emotionally charged moments when the dread of returning to Coruscant alone had almost overwhelmed him, she persuaded him that his lifelong dream of becoming a Jedi had to be realized. She had reminded him that they both had important roles to play in the future of the galaxy, roles that required him to fulfill his destiny of becoming a Jedi. Her encouragement alone had strengthened his fading resolve so he could return to the Jedi Temple and endure the long months apart from her.

Since that day neither he nor Padmé had spoken of the distant future. Both were well aware that the life of a Jedi forbade familial attachments, and neither had any solutions to crossing that bridge. Over-speculating on the matter brought only frustration, so for now they stuck to what they knew was real. The knowledge they belonged to each other, even in this bazaar, distantly estranged fashion, helped them keep their sanity.

For Anakin, living this new secret life had come with a high price. The loneliness of the past year without Padmé surpassed any he?d ever felt. It surpassed even the his first years at the Temple.

And his dreams? they were worse. He?d never been given to peaceful dreams and those he?d had of late were no exception. In his dreams Padmé was always running from him. No, not from him exactly. She ran from something he couldn?t see, but always away from him. Her voice, calling his name, echoed through his nightmares. He?d long since lost count of the nights he would jerk awake, bathed in a cold sweat, unable to breathe. The only cure for this anxiety had been emergency transmissions to Naboo. Always he?d find that Padmé was well and safe, but the fear lingered for days. Often it would escalate into a burning hunger to see her that would drive all rational concerns from his mind.

He had tried certain deep meditation techniques to suppress the dreams. For a short time those methods worked. Recently, however, the dreams had returned, both stronger and with greater frequency. The inner turmoil they brought in their wake refused to be checked with simple reassurances. What was w

9. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    This is wonderful Reihla, great job so far. I really like the way you've described Anakin's longing for a place to call home. Your characterization of Anakin is one of the best I've seen recently. This is one of the best new stories I've seen in a while, I can't wait for more.

10. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Hi, Reihla! (You know me as lazypadawan ;).)

You're off to a fine start with a thorough and fascinating look at Anakin's psyche, from his desire to belong somewhere to his emotional barriers cracking out of being apart from Padmé.

--MissPadme

11. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    This is a very good start so far - you're right, quite a bit of time is being spent on Anakin's character, but as I love poking around in Anakin's head, I really don't mind all that much yet ;), especially with you doing an almost spot-on job with your portrayal. Your descriptions are lovely; you can feel how truly beautiful Naboo and Padme are to him.

Looking forward to seeing more of this! :)

12. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Part 3

Obi-Wan, returning from a skirmish on Sullust, had visited the Council only to find that his Padawan had been granted a leave of absence. Knowing his Master was a stickler for protocol, Anakin imagined he had been far less annoyed about the leave being granted than he was about not being consulted. They?d run into each other just as Anakin was about to descend the main stairway in temple hall. Obi-Wan quickly picked up on the fact that he was about to leave Coruscant for Naboo. Thankfully, the hall had been deserted because his Master skipped the part about asking for an explanation. Instead, he?d immediately launched into a lecture about disrespecting authority.

Still reeling from his most recent nightmare, Anakin?s patience had snapped. He flatly refused to reconsider leaving. This, of course, had sparked a heated clash between the two of them, one that ended with Obi-Wan?s statement that he?d rather not have a Padawan at all than one that refused to learn his place.

Just the memory of those caustic words brought the same chill to Anakin?s heart that he?d felt the moment Obi-Wan had uttered them. The spoken words confirmed what he?d always suspected and put a voice to his greatest fear. His own Master didn?t want him. From the sound of it, he had never wanted him.

Anakin remembered feeling the words like a slap across the face. He?d actually recoiled as if physically struck before trying valiantly to mask the anguish he knew was written on his features. It hadn?t worked. Obi-Wan saw the shock and disillusionment clearly. It had drawn him up short.

The moments that followed would be etched on Anakin?s memory forever. Obi-Wan had grasped his shoulders tightly. ?I?m sorry! You know I didn?t mean that!? Two pairs of blue eyes met, one searching for forgiveness, the other radiating devastation.

Anakin shrugged free and denied the apology. ?Of course you meant it!? He hadn?t even tried to hide the bitterness in his voice.

?No, I didn?t! I was just angry and scared! I can?t reach you anymore!? Obi-Wan was uncharacteristically loud in his effort to convey his remorse. ?You have to tell me what?s going on! I love you, but I feel like I?m losing you. I have no idea what to do!? It was the first and only time in Anakin?s recollection that his master had ever admitted such helplessness. His desperation was evident, both from the hint of panic in his voice and the tears of frustration in his eyes. ?Please, Anakin!?

The demons driving Anakin had almost been hushed in that moment. His Master did love him! Of course, those words had been spoken over the years, but always with affection, impatience or Obi-Wan?s characteristic long-suffering sigh. They were hallmarks of the camaraderie he and Obi-Wan shared. Somehow, though, they lacked intensity and therein dwelt the problem.

In Anakin?s experience, love was not a comfortable emotion. Rather, it was a passionate driving force that didn?t always fit neatly into a box. It was single-minded loyalty marked by a willingness to sacrifice. Mostly, though, it was about loss and the fear of losing. The emotions he now sensed coming from Obi-Wan were all that and more. The confusion and frustration he recognized. They were old friends. This time, however, a new feeling flooded in alongside them. Fear. Real fear that Anakin would be lost to him.

It was the fear that Anakin understood best. In his experience, fear and love had always been close allies. To love someone was to fear of losing them. For the first time in over a decade Anakin truly understood his Master?s feelings. In fact, they seemed to mirror his own. Finally, a sentiment from his teacher worthy of the relationship they shared! In the midst of his turmoil, Obi-Wan seemed to have dropped the façade of indifference he always wore like a cloak. For a few unguarded moments, intentional or not, he?d given Anakin a glimpse into his heart.

It was like giving food to a starving man. Since their relationship began Anakin had y

13. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Oh poor Obiwan I could feel his pain in fear of his losing Anakin. Anakin you should listen to Obiwan he knows best. :(

An excellent post.

14. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Thanks, Crystal. I was really hoping to convey how much their conflict broke BOTH their hearts. I'm glad someone felt for Obi-Wan too. I've always been sympathetic to his character, pretty much throughout the whole saga :)

15. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I enjoyed how you depicted both sides of the fight, nicely done. Anakin's sense of loss at the end of his friendship with Obi-Wan was powerful and I can't wait for more.

16. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    I know this is kinda quick after the last update, but I really want to get this first chapter off my plate. This should complete what is left of the post-AOTC backstory so I can get down to what's going on now.

Thanks for reading, and for the feedback!

17. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Part 4

Here on Naboo, Anakin found he had greater clarity of thought. The lengthy, isolated flight had given him time to sort through his feelings. He knew he?d hurt Obi-Wan, but there was no point in regretting what he wouldn?t change. There simply was no other course of action that would have protected both his wife and his dream of becoming a Jedi Knight.

It had been clear from the events on Geonosis that neither Obi-Wan or the Jedi Council would ever tolerate his love for Padmé. He could still remember his Master?s shouted warning moments after she fell from the gunship: ?You will be expelled from the Jedi Order!?

In those brief, conflicted moments he?d been utterly powerless to save the person he loved most. Just as powerless as the second his mother drew her last breath in his arms. It was a feeling he never wanted again and he was certain the key to preventing it could be found in the power of the Force. If the cost of fulfilling all of his goals turned out to be his relationship with Obi-Wan, then so be it. He was no stranger to loss or sacrifice. This, too, could be endured.

One thing was certain. He had to prove himself worthy of his mother?s unwavering faith. Leaving her on Tatooine all those years ago, leaving her to die at the hands of her tormentors, could not be made an empty sacrifice. No matter what the cost, he simply could not fail to become a Jedi.

A flashing light from the dash and its accompanying monotonous beeping pulled Anakin from his murky introspection. He was glad of it, too. What awaited him here on Naboo was far too good to waste time dwelling on things which were not.

He rushed through the rest of his post-landing check before opening the cockpit and pushing himself from the pilot seat. Dropping to the ground beside the ship, he just managed to pitch his flight gloves and headset back inside before the hydraulic hood snapped shut.

Removing the dark leather gloves had revealed his new artificial hand. Almost idly Anakin examined it, making a fist before opening and spreading his fingers. Already he could tell this one was light years better than the first. This time the synth-skin had been grown from his own cells. In all ways it seemed identical to his real hand. Even with the more advanced technology, its movements were still perceptibly stiffer and less flexible than they should be. He?d already promised himself a few special modifications after the war. If he was right, the changes he had in mind would improve its function significantly. If he had to live with an artificial limb he was determined it would serve him better than the original.

For now, though, what free time he had went to upgrading his starfighter. It was important to keep her at peak performance for upcoming missions. He ran his fingers over the edge of the ship, acknowledging his affection for the beautiful craft. It was a proprietary fondness, rather like what he felt for the droids he built.

The stock Delta-7 had been a gift to him from the Council, a reward for acing his flight finals shortly after Geonosis. OK, so maybe ?gift? was too generous a word. He?d shamelessly pleaded with them to be allowed to save the small fighter from the scrap heap. Master Adi Gallia, certain the craft was possessed by a Sith spirit, had been determined to melt her down.

It wasn?t just that her maintenance records had been atrocious. To put it bluntly, every single thing, mechanical or electrical, that could go wrong on a starfighter had gone wrong on this one. Nothing had ever happened during training maneuvers, though. No, this little lady waited until the most critical point in any mission she was flown on and then went haywire. She?d left many a Jedi stranded in the midst of a firefight in some far sector of the galaxy. When Anakin heard about her he couldn?t help laughing. He?d known they were meant for each other.

Under his careful refitting she became the shining star of the Jedi fleet. Weeks of painstaking rewiring had made her even more

18. DarthSon

DarthSon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2000
    Wow...what a great a couple of posts. You really cut into the Anakin/Obi relationship, and very interesting look into Anakin and his feelings about machines. Too bad in about 2 more yrs, he'll really know about being machine like.

19. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    WOW this just keeps getting better! I really like the way you got inside Anakin's head about his love of machines. Ok I gotta know where does the information on Anakin's ship's history come from? Did you make it up or what? Either way it was great but I'd love to know. I haven't gotten to his ship yet in my fic so I'm curious. I like his conversation with his droid, well done once again.

20. NikitaSkywalker

NikitaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2003
    Really enjoying this. You write the technical parts (starfighters etc) very well.

And a keen eye for Obi-Wan's mannerisms as well. You've definitely improved on the tension/affection between Anakin & Obi-Wan that was shown briefly on film ...

In the words of Obi-Wan, "Good job!"

21. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Thanks Darthson. I agree the whole thing is really sad, knowing what we know about Anakin's future. I wonder how much he had to do with the development of Vader's life-support system and artificial limbs.

JDH3 - The generic history of the Delta-7 comes straight from SW.com. The details for Anakin's modified starfighter are mostly guesswork from the Ep III concept art I got off of the official site. Somewhere they posted a pic of it, though it was very small and I couldn't make out the details.

I was struck by the similarity between the look of it and Anakin's podracer. Anyway, I'll try to find the url and post it here. Feel free to take anything I said and run with it. At least that way if we guess wrong we're in it together :)

There is a new toy of Anakin's starfighter that was just recently released (along with a repainted - teal and white - regular Delta 7). From what little I could tell on the box it looks like some of my guesses were correct. We'll probably have to wait for the movie to find out about the hyperdrive theory, but the engines look similar to the ones used on the docking ring.

I've never found anything canon to support Anakin as the typical young man obsessed with his hot-rod, but if I was a mechanical genius I'd sure be trying to make my ship better/faster, etc..

22. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Here's that link, and another one that doesn't really have any different information, but the pics are better.

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/03/news20030313.html

http://www.artofthejedi.com/swnews/140303.html

23. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Hi Reihla,

Thanks for all that, it should prove very helpful. Yes I agree at least we can be wrong together, if it comes to that lol!

24. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    I like this--loved Anakin souping up his starfighter! [face_laugh]

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I like this, it's getting stronger with each post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.